1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,640 times in 20,812 posts

Exclamation NASA Finally Contacts Voyager 2 Again After A Year of Silence

• Nasa Finally Contacts Voyager 2 Again After A Year of Silence:

How far in space do you think we could travel in the span of 44 years? The answer? 11 billion miles! That is how long Voyager 2 has been traveling in the vast infinite of space, and you will not believe just how much our little space scout has learned in its travels. Equipped with a multitude of scientific instruments, Voyager 2 is more than capable of giving us a play-by-play of its journey through the stars. Let's start with the info we got from our solar system. While our advanced telescopes can observe our neighbor planets from the Earth, it doesn't compare to being up close and personal with them. That's where the voyager missions come in. We knew there were gas giants and there were terrestrial planets. We could see that Saturn had rings. We could tell that Jupiter was massive and had many moons, but that was about it. There was only so much to study through the lens of a telescope a million miles away. So what did we do? We sent a traveler to go see it for themselves. Voyagers….
    • Voyager Spacecraft’s Terrifying New Discovery In Space:

Voyager Spacecraft’s Terrifying New Discovery In Space. The twin Voyager space probes first embarked about a month apart from each other on their historic interplanetary expedition in 1977. In 1989, only 5 days after the 12-year anniversary of its departure, Voyager 2 became the first—and, so far, the only—spacecraft to fly past the planet Neptune, which orbits at a frigid 2.7 billion miles from the Sun. Since then, Voyager 2 has only grown more and more distant, now leaving our solar system behind at a velocity of 34,000 miles per hour. In 2018, more than 41 years after its launch, Voyager 2 crossed the threshold between our solar system and interstellar space. Although there are no more planets for Voyager to explore, the probe continues its decades-long mission into the vast and unknown regions of the cosmos. What did Voyager discover along its journey? Which one is likely to reach the furthest into the universe? And what is that strange humming noise?
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

9ideon (4th March 2022), Chris Gilbert (28th November 2021), Ewan (28th November 2021), Ioneo (28th November 2021), justntime2learn (29th November 2021), Libico (29th November 2021), Mare (28th November 2021), mojo (14th December 2021), O Donna (29th November 2021), Rosemarie (29th November 2021), Sunny-side-up (29th November 2021), toppy (28th November 2021), Vangelo (28th November 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: NASA Finally Contacts Voyager 2 Again After A Year of Silence

• Interstellar probe could be successor to the Voyager missions

• An artist image depicting the trajectory of a possible interstellar probe. Credit: JHUAPL

With Voyagers 1 and 2 set to run out of power in approximately a decade, NASA is considering a follow up interstellar probe that could last 50 to 100 years.

The space agency asked a team of scientists and engineers at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHUAPL) to explore a possible $1.5 billion mission to study the interstellar medium or region of space between the Sun and the closest nearby stars. Such a mission would require the involvement of multiple generations of scientists and engineers.

A report by the JHUAPL group complete with spacecraft design is expected to be released in several weeks.

Launched in 1977, both Voyagers remain active in spite of the fact that they were designed to operate for five years. Voyager 1 is now 14 billion miles from Earth while Voyager 2 is more than 11 billion miles away.

While the twin probes were created to study the solar system’s gas and ice giant planets, both are now sending back data on the interstellar medium. However, the plutonium that powers both is running low, and mission scientists are already considering which of their science instruments and heaters to shut off in an effort to conserve fuel.

If the Voyagers’ instruments continue to function, the last will likely be shut off around 2031.

• An artist’s rendering of the Voyager spacecraft. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

This development comes as scientists are learning more about the gas, dust and cosmic rays that make up the interstellar medium. A desire to further explore this region after the Voyagers run out of fuel led to consideration of a long-term follow up mission.

The new probe, which would launch around 2036 and travel twice as fast as Voyager 1, would use technology that already exists or is in an advanced state of development.
    “We do need to learn how to conduct missions over these very long timescales if we are ever going to come close to achieving any of the aspirations of interstellar exploration that are so often posed in the popular media,” said Stella Ocker, a graduate student at Cornell University who uses Voyager data in her research.

Much like the Voyagers still run on 1970s technology, a spacecraft on a 50-to-100-year mission would use technology that subsequently becomes obsolete over the duration of the mission. This means computers and other equipment would have to be kept around even after they become obsolete, requiring strong, detailed communication between multiple generations of people working on the project.

According to researchers’ estimates, the interstellar probe would travel more than 34 billion miles or 375 astronomical units (AU, with one AU equal to the average Earth-Sun distance or 93 million miles) in 50 years and 74 billion miles or 800 AU in 100 years.

Even the latter would put the spacecraft far short of the nearest star, Proxima Centauri, which is located around 25 trillion miles or 4.2 light years away — more than 265,000 AU from Earth.

One option for speeding up the probe is to have it conduct a gravity assist flyby of a dwarf planet in the outer solar system. This would provide the opportunity to study that particular dwarf planet up close.

“A launch technologically possible in the 2030s would propel an Interstellar probe farther and faster than any spacecraft before it, leading to new and inspiring exploration across heliophysics, astrophysics and planetary science — helping us understand our home in the galaxy and representing humanity’s first deliberate step into the sea of space between our Sun and other potentially habitable systems,” the JHUAPL team noted on the project’s website.

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 28th November 2021 at 17:47.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ewan (28th November 2021), frodo13 (28th November 2021), O Donna (29th November 2021), Sunny-side-up (29th November 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: NASA Finally Contacts Voyager 2 Again After A Year of Silence

• Nasa’s New Light Speed Engine That Defies Physics:

NASA’s New Light Speed Engine That Defies Physics. NASA is hard at work perfecting light-speed travel. And when it does, the sky will quite literally be limitless. So what does NASA have up its sleeve when it comes to light speed technology? Let’s find out.
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 28th November 2021 at 17:47.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

DouglasDanger (29th November 2021), Dreamer148 (29th November 2021), O Donna (29th November 2021), Sunny-side-up (29th November 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Dreamer148's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: NASA Finally Contacts Voyager 2 Again After A Year of Silence

NASA is not what it used to be. The real action IMO is with Elon Musk's Space x.

8. Link to Post #5
    Language
    Thanks

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,340 times in 472 posts

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    I haven't watched this video because I am instantly put off by the word "terrifying".
    In my experience, such words are used as clickbait, and I'll bet there is nothing remotely "terrifying" in this video.
    Unusual perhaps, odd and possibly unexplained maybe...

10. Link to Post #7
    Language
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: NASA Finally Contacts Voyager 2 Again After A Year of Silence

Quote Posted by Le Chat (here)

I haven't watched this video because I am instantly put off by the word "terrifying".
    In my experience, such words are used as clickbait, and I'll bet there is nothing remotely "terrifying" in this video.
    Unusual perhaps, odd and possibly unexplained maybe...
    Any claim: for or against ... exaggerated or downplayed or scoffed off ... never ever convinced me without seeing relevant data myself first ... by default ... as I am the captain of my own emotions/thinking/reasoning ... I do this (almost) all my life ... assuming everybody does this too ... but that is sadly enough not the case some just are way to easy "convinced" by inserted suggestions alone >>> and feel the emotional roller coaster of what is suggested without being healthy skeptical.

The healthy part of being skeptical** is you never assume what is claimed before you have done your own research/investigation when dealing with any controversial topic ... The healthy part of being skeptical is seeing the (part) wealth of information that IS useful for your own journey of discoveries ... and you can not avoid faulty "interpretations" by other (sensitive/snowflake?) people assuming the worst (or the exaggerated "best"). <<< it never stopped me to look beyond the obvious flaws of others.

And yet the older I get ... the less I am worried about what people claim unless it is really backed up with solid evidence & proof that is verified by multiple independent sources.
    • Any generalization for or against is not doing justice to the full spectrum of the unfiltered truth
    • disclaimer: everything I just said here is "general speaking" describing psychological mechanisms not focused on (certain) individuals.
    I hope this clarifies how I deal with (partly faulty) "claims" made by others as sharing does not mean "endorsing" what is said.

cheers,
    John Kuhles aka 'ExomatrixTV'
    December 13, 2021

** unhealthy skepticism is called "pseudo skepticism"
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 19th December 2021 at 16:34.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

mojo (14th December 2021)

12. Link to Post #8
    Language
    Thanks

• NASA Reestablishes Contact With Voyager 2! Where Is It Headed Now?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Vangelo (4th March 2022)

+ Reply to Thread