+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Websites may be removed from the net if they're suspected of "promoting terrorism"

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 78,244 times in 8,655 posts

Default Websites may be removed from the net if they're suspected of "promoting terrorism"

Mod note from Bill:

A number of posts were moved from Clif High's thread to start this one.

(Several posts, now redundant, were deleted after a discussion about a bad link which was fully resolved.)

~~~

Anyone heard anything about this?

From Cliff's telegram

Quote SciFi World
    There are reports out that the UN is taking down private websites via DNS redirect/manipulation. It will not be very long before people who are deprived by the UN will strike back. There is a dirty little IT secret about DNS resolution. It is very possible to set up 'dueling DNS server resolution schemes'. These may involve spoofed servers as in the UN, or it may be done through recognized/accepted DNS propagation sites. Basically the UN takes your site down, you take theirs down via same sort of mechanism. Yes, millions can play this game. The UN is not yet aware of what it has invited to its door.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 3rd December 2021 at 14:47.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions. - Robert Anton Wilson

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

AlaBil (3rd December 2021), Alecs (2nd December 2021), Ben (4th December 2021), Bill Ryan (2nd December 2021), BushPilot (3rd December 2021), ClearWater (3rd December 2021), Dennis Leahy (3rd December 2021), gini (4th December 2021), Gwin Ru (2nd December 2021), Harmony (3rd December 2021), haroldsails (3rd December 2021), Kryztian (3rd December 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (3rd December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), Mike Gorman (4th December 2021), mizo (3rd December 2021), Peace in Oz (2nd December 2021), RunningDeer (2nd December 2021), Snoweagle (3rd December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021), Tintin (3rd December 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,746 times in 4,372 posts

Default Re: Websites may be removed from the net if they're suspected of "promoting terrorism"

SciFi World
    There are reports out that the UN is taking down private websites via DNS redirect/manipulation. It will not be very long before people who are deprived by the UN will strike back. There is a dirty little IT secret about DNS resolution. It is very possible to set up 'dueling DNS server resolution schemes'. These may involve spoofed servers as in the UN, or it may be done through recognized/accepted DNS propagation sites. Basically the UN takes your site down, you take theirs down via same sort of mechanism. Yes, millions can play this game. The UN is not yet aware of what it has invited to its door.
    3.6K viewsClif High, 23:04

https://t.me/s/scifiworld0

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd December 2021), BushPilot (3rd December 2021), Dennis Leahy (3rd December 2021), Dumpster Diver (3rd December 2021), Harmony (3rd December 2021), haroldsails (3rd December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), mountain_jim (3rd December 2021), RunningDeer (2nd December 2021), Snoweagle (3rd December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021), Tintin (3rd December 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

Default Re: Websites may be removed from the net if they're suspected of "promoting terrorism"

Quote Posted by Vangelo (here)
    Is this what you are looking for?

Yes, that’s it. Thank you, Vangelo and to Gwin Ru a few posts up.

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd December 2021), BushPilot (3rd December 2021), Dennis Leahy (3rd December 2021), Dumpster Diver (3rd December 2021), Gwin Ru (3rd December 2021), Harmony (3rd December 2021), haroldsails (3rd December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), mountain_jim (3rd December 2021), Pam (3rd December 2021), Snoweagle (3rd December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021), Tintin (3rd December 2021), Vangelo (3rd December 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,209 times in 32,905 posts

Quote Posted by Gwin Ru (here)
    SciFi World
    3.6K viewsClif High, 23:04

https://t.me/s/scifiworld0
    This is a new video from the Ice Age Farmer (Christian Westbrook), published yesterday. It's entirely possible that Clif High was just tweeting this apparent update — or Clif may have heard this from another report on Telegram from Chad Chaddington, described in the video.

Source: https://www.bitchute.com/video/FGgptMetfqWm
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 3rd December 2021 at 14:53.

8. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (3rd December 2021), Dumpster Diver (3rd December 2021), Gwin Ru (3rd December 2021), Harmony (3rd December 2021), haroldsails (3rd December 2021), Kryztian (4th December 2021), kudzy (3rd December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), mountain_jim (3rd December 2021), Pam (3rd December 2021), RunningDeer (3rd December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021), Tintin (3rd December 2021), Vangelo (3rd December 2021), Yoda (3rd December 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

As Cliff says, we are at war, and this could be a powerful weapon against Truth and Free Speach on the internet - perhaps a risk to projectavalon and anywhere that Truth and Ideas (related to anti-freedom-and-authoritarian globalism) is searched for and shared.

Video text

Quote ice.age.farmer

ice.age.farmer

37453 subscribers

The U.N. Counter Terrorism Executive Directorate (CTED) is now responsible for taking entire privately hosted websites offline, as they seek to take total control of the flow of information and establish their "Great Narrative." CTED notifies domain registrars of "extremist" sites -- i.e., those that promote narratives they don't approve of -- and the sites can no longer be found. This reflects a new level of internet censorship, but it is not just publishers who are in the crosshairs...it is all of us. Christian breaks it down in this Ice Age Farmer broadcast.

Full Show Notes

https://www.iceagefarmer.com/2021/12...el-censorship/

Paper he shows in video - see section .iv on page 29 - Automated content moderation and takedown.

https://www.un.org/counterterrorism/...report-web.pdf

Quote Automated content moderation and takedown

Social media channels and webpages that host multi-media content fight against terrorist misuse of their services in different ways. In many ways, how they do so depends on how terrorists misuse their platforms. For example, a website that enables the sharing of large files may undertake a different approach than a messaging app that allows for encrypted communications. One well-known response by social media companies to tackle terrorist and extremist content is “deplatforming”. As defined by the Oxford Dictionary, deplatforming is “the action or practice of preventing someone holding views regarded as unacceptable or offensive from contributing to a forum or debate, especially by blocking them on a particular website”. It is often used as a response by social media companies to repeat violations of the terms of service or the community standards of their platforms. Another approach often used is a technique known as “shadow-banning”.82 This refers to the content being either deleted entirely or having its visibility significantly limited, without the user that published the content being made aware.

Such tools and approaches are, naturally, not without controversy. Notably, concern has arisen with respect to the possibility of subjective, disparate, and potentially biased enforcement by different platforms resulting from the absence of internationally agreed upon definitions of what constitutes terrorism and violent extremism.83 Moreover, with limited transparency regarding the tools and approaches used by social media companies and the absence of details regarding their implementation, it is also difficult to really assess their effectiveness. In fact, the effectiveness of deplatforming is quite debated,84 as it may in fact increase grievances and provide victimization narratives for banned
    users and communities. It may also contribute to encouraging the migration of such individuals from well-regulated large platforms with considerable content moderation resources to less regulated smaller platforms and niche services, whose capabilities to address such challenges online may be more limited. The resulting fragmented landscape can, in fact, compromise the collective efforts to combat the problem in general.

It is pertinent to note that it is also not always straightforward to disrupt terrorist activities by simply deleting an account or limiting the visibility of content. For instance, the perpetrators of the Christchurch terrorist attack in 2019
    live-streamed the attack – an innovation that presented new challenges for content moderators. Although Facebook successfully removed the original video 12 minutes after the recording ended, the video went viral and, in the 24 hours
    that followed, there were as many as 1.5 million attempts to upload copies of the video across the globe.85 Christchurch unequivocally demonstrated the need of being able to not only delete accounts and limit the visibility of content, but also to be able to operate across different platforms in order to prevent the strategic distribution of terrorist content in a timely manner.86 In the aftermath of Christchurch, the Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism (GIFCT) created a shared industry database of hashes of terrorist propaganda with the intention of supporting coordinated takedown of such content across platforms, while adhering to data privacy and retention policies.

Countering terrorist and violent extremist narratives,

While removing terrorist and violent extremist content from the Internet or social media may, to a certain degree, be effective in preventing the spread of harmful narratives, it is exceptionally controversial and raises serious human rights concerns.
    But look who decides what narratives are 'harmful'? And harmful to who and what, exactly?
    Last edited by mountain_jim; 3rd December 2021 at 17:19.

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd December 2021), Dennis Leahy (3rd December 2021), Dumpster Diver (3rd December 2021), Gwin Ru (3rd December 2021), Harmony (3rd December 2021), haroldsails (3rd December 2021), Kryztian (4th December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), Pam (4th December 2021), RunningDeer (3rd December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

A repost from January 2021:
    Posted by Gwin Ru (here)

... from Jim Stone:
    CONFIRMED: THEY WILL DE-PLATFORM SITES BEYOND THEIR CONTROL VIA DNS.

What is DNS? When you type a site name, it is meaningless to a computer. Your computer sends the site's name to a DNS server and the DNS server then tells your computer what IP address the site is at, and your computer then accesses that IP address. Having the IP address work correctly has to be set up on purpose. Normally you cannot just hit a site's IP and have it load. This site is an exception. This site's IP address is 82.221.129.208 and when you hit only that number, it still loads the most current page.

WARNING TO ALL ALT MEDIA:
    GET YOUR DIRECT IP ADDRESS WORKING TO LOAD YOUR SITE AND MAKE IT LOAD THE WAY MINE DOES, WHERE THE SWITCH OVER IS AUTOMATIC. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS AND YOU ARE LEGIT, YOU WILL SOON BE GONE. THIS ARRANGEMENT ALREADY SAVED THIS SITE TWICE. THEY TRIED TAKING ME OUT OF THE DNS SERVERS TWICE, ONLY TO HAVE IT NOT WORK WELL ENOUGH. PLEASE NOTE: SHARED IP'S CANNOT BE SET UP TO DO THIS. YOU HAVE TO HAVE YOUR OWN IP, AND EVEN DRUDGE DOES NOT HAVE THAT. A majority of web sites do not. You have to buy your IP like I did.

IMPORTANT: Both ways to this site still work (because it looked too bad to have this site still about 55 percent alive with me tattling about how they took it out of the DNS servers,) so they put it back in. Once DNS is removed again, you will have to hit the site directly again at 82.221.129.208 for it to work. They might not take it out of the DNS servers at all, because they know it will be hopeless They cannot take this site down because I made damn good and sure that works and that the servers are out of their reach.

You won't find another site on the web that switches over automatically the way this one does. And everybody HAD DAMN WELL BETTER DO IT THAT WAY, NOW.

IDIOT SAYS: HEY, if they do that, I'll just switch over to direct IP!!! I'll WAIT. Problem: Once you are gone, how TF are you going to tell anyone what your direct IP is? You had better do that while you are still alive.

TO BE CLEAR: Migrate your server offshore. The best place to put your server is Iceland. The best web host in Iceland is Orangewebsite. With them, set up a dedicated IP, for now migrate your domain name and files, and then re-direct to the IP address via your .htaccess file. You'll be COMMIE PROOF.

Keep in mind that once you do this, your site will be ranked ZERO, going to direct IP will do that. This site gets over a million visits a month and is not even rated. So what. I can't get ads on it anyway and the readers keep it going (many thanks!)

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

avid (3rd December 2021), Dennis Leahy (3rd December 2021), Frankie Pancakes (4th December 2021), Harmony (3rd December 2021), haroldsails (3rd December 2021), meat suit (3rd December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), mountain_jim (3rd December 2021), RunningDeer (3rd December 2021), Snoweagle (3rd December 2021), Sunny (4th December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

^ Yes that Re: Internet Censorship: So it began... thread is a better place for this thread, in my view.

Bill?

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

Harmony (3rd December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), Pam (4th December 2021), RunningDeer (3rd December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mountain_jim (here)
    ^ Yes that Re: Internet Censorship: So it began... thread is a better place for this thread, in my view.

Bill?
    Well, the Internet Censorship thread, started in 2015, was initially about France blocking 5 websites, but after that the reporting and discussion was principally about Google and Facebook censorship, and people being banned from YouTube or Twitter.

It struck me that the possibility of website domain names being completely removed from the DNS system by order of the UN was a different order of magnitude. (But yes, we can merge the threads, for sure.)

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

gord (3rd December 2021), Harmony (3rd December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), mountain_jim (3rd December 2021), Pam (3rd December 2021), RunningDeer (3rd December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021), Yoda (3rd December 2021)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

I guess I meant perhaps best for this thread to be in that folder - Attacks on the Alternative Media - not a thread merge with a 40 plus page thread - sorry for the misstatement.

But whatever you and Avalon think is best is fine.

From Bill:

Thanks, you're 100% right. That was my brain-fade not placing it there in the first place. Now moved.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 4th December 2021 at 12:12.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th December 2021), gord (3rd December 2021), Harmony (3rd December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), Pam (4th December 2021), RunningDeer (3rd December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Vangelo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 times in 569 posts

Having the IP address work correctly has to be set up on purpose. Normally you cannot just hit a site's IP and have it load. This site is an exception. This site's IP address is 82.221.129.208 and when you hit only that number, it still loads the most current page.

WARNING TO ALL ALT MEDIA:
    GET YOUR DIRECT IP ADDRESS WORKING TO LOAD YOUR SITE AND MAKE IT LOAD THE WAY MINE DOES, WHERE THE SWITCH OVER IS AUTOMATIC. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS AND YOU ARE LEGIT, YOU WILL SOON BE GONE. THIS ARRANGEMENT ALREADY SAVED THIS SITE TWICE. THEY TRIED TAKING ME OUT OF THE DNS SERVERS TWICE, ONLY TO HAVE IT NOT WORK WELL ENOUGH. PLEASE NOTE: SHARED IP'S CANNOT BE SET UP TO DO THIS. YOU HAVE TO HAVE YOUR OWN IP, AND EVEN DRUDGE DOES NOT HAVE THAT. A majority of web sites do not. You have to buy your IP like I did.

Presuming this information is true i.e. you must own your IP address, does anyone know if Avalon owns its IP address?

I think this is the link to the Avalon Discord channel in case we have problems...
    https://discord.com/channels/7978451...45142266445845
    Happiness comes from within, nowhere else.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Vangelo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th December 2021), Gwin Ru (4th December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), mountain_jim (4th December 2021), Pam (4th December 2021), RunningDeer (4th December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021)

21. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th December 2021), mountain_jim (4th December 2021), Pam (4th December 2021), RunningDeer (4th December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021), Vangelo (4th December 2021)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Vangelo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 times in 569 posts

... see this thread: What is the raw IP address of this forum ?
    According to that thread, the raw IP Address of Avalon is: https://142.93.203.225
    Unfortunately, I just clicked it and it displays a 404 screen as described here.
    Happiness comes from within, nowhere else.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vangelo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), mountain_jim (4th December 2021), palehorse (4th December 2021), RunningDeer (4th December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021)

25. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,541 times in 1,587 posts

I would not be super worried about it, since it is just DNS stuffs which will resolve the IP address into a name easily to memorize, it is no more than that.

I've been for a while using and buying decentralized TLDs sometimes, here is a small list:

.bazar (Emercoin)
    .bit (namecoin)
    .coin (Emercoin)
    .emc (Emercoin)
    .eth (ethereum network sucks - most expensive and gas fee also sucks)
    .fur (FurNIC)
    .gopher (amazing gopher protocol - great grampa still alive)
    .lib (Emercoin)
    .onion (Tor Project - my favorite)

It all can be resolved in one way or another using browser plugins like (PeerName) or a local DNS installed on a computer or router in the network or configuring OpenNic DNS IP address with your network (easiest way - https://www.opennic.org/), they do not use centralized corrupted DNS institutions, that means NO ONE not even ****ty UN can take it down. It is gaining a lot of popularity in the last year, but still a long shot to reach mainstream.

The small list above is the main decentralized TLD you will find out in the wild (they are stable), there is many other options, opennic provide a list with all the decentralized TLD they are currently accepting, which does not matter much because it is possible to resolve anything with them, probably after providing the related information for the zones and so on..
    also have in mind many of the projects like .pirate TLD or .libre TLD are run by the people to the people, they are mostly free or cost very little like .bit TLD cost cents of dollar.. they may be working or may be not.

List from opennic with some not all decentralized domains TLD.
    https://wiki.opennic.org/opennic/dot...-level_domains

p.s. Decentralized DNS is a big treat to centralized DNS, and that is exactly how we people fight UN and the similar evils.
    Last edited by palehorse; 4th December 2021 at 11:51.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th December 2021), gord (4th December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), mountain_jim (4th December 2021), Pam (4th December 2021), RunningDeer (4th December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021), Vangelo (4th December 2021)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,541 times in 1,587 posts

According to that thread, the raw IP Address of Avalon is: https://142.93.203.225
    Unfortunately, I just clicked it and it displays a 404 screen as described here.

It happens because the SSL certificate was generated to the domain name (CN common name: projectavalon.net) and not the IP address, on firefox this is the message I got:

"Websites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for 142.93.203.225. The certificate is only valid for the following names: projectavalon.net, www.projectavalon.net

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN"

Which is not a problem at all, because it is not supposed to access via IP address, hence the web server managed to show the 404 page not found, which is nice because many websites out there does not display anything.

=sorry=
    for the double post, it was supposed to be with the previous one.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th December 2021), gord (4th December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), Pam (4th December 2021), RunningDeer (4th December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021), Vangelo (4th December 2021)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Yes, it's not a problem. It's just that we can't have both systems operating at the same time.

All Tommy (our senior admin) has to do is toggle a digital switch on the control panel and https://142.93.203.225 would become active. In that event, we'd email everyone who's ever been an Avalon member and let them know how to access the forum that way. (We have every email address safely archived offline, and keep the list updated.)

A second plan, which we might also initiate, is to have the entire forum behind a members-only wall, like most of Chris Martenson's peakprosperity.com and Richard Dolan's richarddolanmembers.com. That'd be a shame (as we might lose many of our our visiting guests, who outnumber the members by as much as 15:1), but it'd keep the community safely intact. If we were to make that decision, we'd probably thin out or maybe even eliminate the application process so that there'd be less of a barrier to new members joining. More discussion on this other thread: What is the raw IP address of this forum ?

30. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

gord (4th December 2021), Hym (4th December 2021), Mari (4th December 2021), Mercedes (4th December 2021), mountain_jim (4th December 2021), palehorse (4th December 2021), Pam (4th December 2021), RunningDeer (4th December 2021), Suzi E (4th December 2021), tendril (4th December 2021), Vangelo (4th December 2021), Yoda (4th December 2021)

+ Reply to Thread