Thread: Essential Oils

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,087 times in 20,639 posts

Default Essential Oils

I've been using an essential oil diffuser daily for a few years now and really enjoy the fragrance of various oils. I use a combination including lavender, oregano, rosemary, pine and sage.
    Of course, the fragrance isn't the only advantage that the use of essential oils afford, as they are also naturally medicinal.
    I am planning to buy a friend a diffuser for Xmas, but when I called WalMart today to see what they had in stock, I was told that all the different diffusers they had have been recalled due to a rule about "hazardous waste".
    She couldn't answer any of my questions about that.
    I went to the Vitacost site, which is where I buy my essential oils and they still have a stock of diffusers.
    Has anyone else heard about diffusers being recalled?
    I wonder if the Deep State is trying to take those away from us now in hopes it will make us turn to their horrible pharmaceuticals instead.
    Each breath a gift...

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2021), Blacklight43 (16th December 2021), Chip (17th December 2021), DeDukshyn (17th December 2021), East Sun (17th December 2021), Ernie Nemeth (16th December 2021), Harmony (17th December 2021), Hym (17th December 2021), Kryztian (16th December 2021), O Donna (17th December 2021), palehorse (17th December 2021), Sadieblue (17th December 2021), Stephanie (17th December 2021), Sue (Ayt) (17th December 2021), toppy (17th December 2021), Violet3 (17th December 2021), wondering (16th December 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,530 times in 2,552 posts

Default Re: Essential Oils

Yep - I love my essential oils too, Nat!
    I like to use various ones for a pick-me-up or relax-me effect by putting a drop in my palms and breathing them in. They small so nice and seem to be just what I need at the time.

That being said, I did remember a recall by Walmart of some aromatherapy products, a couple months back which I really didn't think about much at the time, but a google news search found more on the subject. Sounds like whatever this was caused quite a bit of uproar with the CDC. But only at Walmart. (Adds to my suspicions about Walmart...)

2021 Multistate outbreak of melioidosis

In March-July 2021, CDC confirmed four linked cases (including two deaths) of melioidosis in patients from Georgia, Kansas, Minnesota, and Texas. Most cases of melioidosis in the United States are in people who traveled to areas where the disease is more common, but these patients had no recent history of international travel. Whole genome sequencing showed the strains of bacteria (Burkholderia pseudomallei) that sickened the patients closely matched each other, suggesting there was a common source of infection. The strain of bacteria that sickened the patients was similar to those found most often in South Asia, which led CDC to suspect that an imported product may have been involved in the patients’ illnesses.

As part of the public health investigation into these illnesses, CDC tested blood samples from the patients, as well as soil, water, and consumer products from in and around their homes. In October 2021, CDC identified B. pseudomallei, which causes melioidosis, in an aromatherapy spray that was found in the home of the Georgia patient. Further CDC testing showed that the genetic fingerprint of the bacteria in the bottle matches those of the bacteria identified in the four patients. This finding confirms the spray was the source of the Georgia patient’s infection, and that the spray or another product with the same contaminated ingredient caused illness in the three other linked cases. CDC is coordinating with the state health departments to try to determine whether the other three patients may have also used this or similar products. Working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Walmart, CDC is also in contact with the manufacturer in India to determine if ingredients from the implicated spray were used in any other products.

https://www.cdc.gov/melioidosis/outb...021/index.html

and

CDC Expands Recall of Aromatherapy Sprays Tied to Rare Illness

THURSDAY, Nov. 4, 2021 (HealthDay News) -- A recall of aromatherapy sprays connected with fatal cases of a rare tropical disease called melioidosis has been expanded by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The agency previously identified four cases of melioidosis -- two of them fatal -- linked with Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones, which was made in India and sold by Walmart.

Melioidosis is caused by the bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei.

The agency said in a statement Wednesday that it is now testing for the presence of the bacteria in five other scents under the same brand name with Gemstones: Lemon & Mandarin, Lavender, Peppermint, Lime & Eucalyptus, and Sandalwood & Vanilla, CNN reported.

Those five scents have been added to the recall, and consumers who have the products should not use them. Instead of throwing the products out, consumers should pack them carefully and send them in for refunds, the CDC and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission advised.

The products were sold online nationwide through Walmart and at a limited number of Walmart stores between February and Oct. 21, 2021.

When disposing of the products, "Double bag the bottle in clean, clear zip-top bags and place in a cardboard box. Return the bagged and boxed product to a Walmart store," the CDC said in a statement issued last month. "Wash sheets or linens that the product may have been sprayed on using normal laundry detergent and dry completely in a hot dryer; bleach can be used if desired.n Wipe down counters and surfaces that might have the spray on them with undiluted PineSol or similar disinfectant.nLimit direct handling of the spray bottle and wash hands thoroughly after touching the bottle or linens. If gloves were used, wash hands afterward."

The CDC has also issued a health alert for doctors and other health care providers to watch for patients with symptoms of melioidosis -- acute or chronic localized infection that may include high fever, pain, headache and abscesses in the liver, lung, spleen and prostate -- and to ask patients if they've used certain aromatherapy sprays, CNN reported.

https://consumer.healthday.com/b-11-...655492828.html
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2021), DeDukshyn (17th December 2021), East Sun (17th December 2021), Harmony (17th December 2021), Hym (17th December 2021), O Donna (17th December 2021), onawah (17th December 2021), Sadieblue (17th December 2021), Stephanie (17th December 2021), toppy (17th December 2021), Violet3 (17th December 2021), wondering (17th December 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member wondering's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,106 times in 905 posts

Sue, that is so interesting, who would have guessed? I use some essential oils but I use BeYoung or Tisserand, both of which I trust, especially BeYoung. I have hear that the diffusers are not good for cats to be around and I have not used those. I guess everything has the potential for contamination in some situations.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2021), DeDukshyn (17th December 2021), Harmony (17th December 2021), Hym (17th December 2021), O Donna (17th December 2021), onawah (17th December 2021), Stephanie (17th December 2021), Sue (Ayt) (17th December 2021), Violet3 (17th December 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by wondering (here)
    Sue, that is so interesting, who would have guessed? I use some essential oils but I use BeYoung or Tisserand, both of which I trust, especially BeYoung. I have hear that the diffusers are not good for cats to be around and I have not used those. I guess everything has the potential for contamination in some situations.
    Quite true, wondering.
    But being the suspicious soul that I am, I do wonder if some of the contamination might be by design at times.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2021), DeDukshyn (17th December 2021), Harmony (17th December 2021), Hym (17th December 2021), onawah (17th December 2021), Stephanie (17th December 2021), wondering (17th December 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,009 times in 8,167 posts

I'm so glad the CDC is watching our backs.

Would it be a waste of time doing FOIA for any internal records that mention diffusers ?
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2021), DeDukshyn (17th December 2021), Harmony (17th December 2021), Hym (17th December 2021), onawah (17th December 2021), Stephanie (17th December 2021), Sue (Ayt) (17th December 2021), wondering (17th December 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    Quote Posted by wondering (here)
    Quite true, wondering.
    But being the suspicious soul that I am, I do wonder if some of the contamination might be by design at times.
    The fact that there is bacteria getting into these liquid fragrances is interesting ...

True essential oils are extremely anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal. The "aromatherapy sprays" are something entirely different altogether, and I also wonder about how the bacteria got into these in the first place ... but I have heard of certain bateria found inside of aerosol hair spray bottles, but you still have to wonder how it even got there.

------------------------------

As far as diffusers go, as far as I know, the simpler ones are nothing more than a piezoelectric driver that creates frequencies that resonate in water and force the molecules to break apart - creating water vapour that emanates. These drivers are simple - utilize quartz or some other crystal to turn electrical frequency into physical vibration ... there' no exotic metals needed, not "toxic waste" in their production as far as I know. The aspect of adding essential oils just allows some molecules of the oil to break off with the water vapour, giving us the pleasant scents.

Beyond the aroma therapy aspects, there's not much "medicinal" aspect to using a diffuser, although some can act as a mild humidifier as well, because the amounts of the essential oils that actually comes out with the water vapour (per minute) can likely me measured in molecules, its not going to sterilize your house, even though essential oils are quite powerful when concentrated.

So why you were told by walmart it has something to do with "hazardous waste" seems odd to me. The devices are simple, essential oils are what they are .... weird.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 17th December 2021 at 00:44.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2021), Harmony (17th December 2021), Hym (17th December 2021), onawah (17th December 2021), Stephanie (17th December 2021), Sue (Ayt) (17th December 2021), wondering (17th December 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    I'm so glad the CDC is watching our backs.

Would it be a waste of time doing FOIA for any internal records that mention diffusers ?
    Well now - Just a little search of the keywords shows me why they are so concerned!
    https://www.cdc.gov/melioidosis/bioterrorism/index.html

Sounds like it has a high fatality rate:
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9886137/

Rather amazing that they actually caught and identified the 4 cases in the US. Wonder how many they missed?

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2021), Harmony (17th December 2021), Hym (17th December 2021), norman (17th December 2021), onawah (17th December 2021), Stephanie (17th December 2021), wondering (17th December 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,087 times in 20,639 posts

Since diffusers aren't the problem, it seems very suspicious to me that they would be recalled.
    If a certain brand or brands of essential oils were contaminated, then it would make sense for them to be recalled, but the fact that diffusers themselves are being recalled makes me think there is something else in the works.
    There are all kinds of warnings about applying full strength essential oils directly to your skin, but I do it all the time and have never felt any ill effects.
    And I always add a lot more of the oils to my diffusers than they recommend, so I also wonder if the warnings aren't hyped up.
    And the warnings say they are combustible.
    I don't see how herbal and flower essences added to oils like that distilled from jojoba could be combustible.
    I wonder if Big Pharma doesn't have essential oils on their hit list along with homeopathic medicines and so many other natural remedies.

Thanks for the helpful info, Sue!

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    Yep - I love my essential oils too, Nat!
    I like to use various ones for a pick-me-up or relax-me effect by putting a drop in my palms and breathing them in. They small so nice and seem to be just what I need at the time.

That being said, I did remember a recall by Walmart of some aromatherapy products, a couple months back which I really didn't think about much at the time, but a google news search found more on the subject. Sounds like whatever this was caused quite a bit of uproar with the CDC. But only at Walmart. (Adds to my suspicions about Walmart...)

2021 Multistate outbreak of melioidosis

In March-July 2021, CDC confirmed four linked cases (including two deaths) of melioidosis in patients from Georgia, Kansas, Minnesota, and Texas. Most cases of melioidosis in the United States are in people who traveled to areas where the disease is more common, but these patients had no recent history of international travel. Whole genome sequencing showed the strains of bacteria (Burkholderia pseudomallei) that sickened the patients closely matched each other, suggesting there was a common source of infection. The strain of bacteria that sickened the patients was similar to those found most often in South Asia, which led CDC to suspect that an imported product may have been involved in the patients’ illnesses.

As part of the public health investigation into these illnesses, CDC tested blood samples from the patients, as well as soil, water, and consumer products from in and around their homes. In October 2021, CDC identified B. pseudomallei, which causes melioidosis, in an aromatherapy spray that was found in the home of the Georgia patient. Further CDC testing showed that the genetic fingerprint of the bacteria in the bottle matches those of the bacteria identified in the four patients. This finding confirms the spray was the source of the Georgia patient’s infection, and that the spray or another product with the same contaminated ingredient caused illness in the three other linked cases. CDC is coordinating with the state health departments to try to determine whether the other three patients may have also used this or similar products. Working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Walmart, CDC is also in contact with the manufacturer in India to determine if ingredients from the implicated spray were used in any other products.

https://www.cdc.gov/melioidosis/outb...021/index.html

and

CDC Expands Recall of Aromatherapy Sprays Tied to Rare Illness

THURSDAY, Nov. 4, 2021 (HealthDay News) -- A recall of aromatherapy sprays connected with fatal cases of a rare tropical disease called melioidosis has been expanded by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The agency previously identified four cases of melioidosis -- two of them fatal -- linked with Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones, which was made in India and sold by Walmart.

Melioidosis is caused by the bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei.

The agency said in a statement Wednesday that it is now testing for the presence of the bacteria in five other scents under the same brand name with Gemstones: Lemon & Mandarin, Lavender, Peppermint, Lime & Eucalyptus, and Sandalwood & Vanilla, CNN reported.

Those five scents have been added to the recall, and consumers who have the products should not use them. Instead of throwing the products out, consumers should pack them carefully and send them in for refunds, the CDC and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission advised.

The products were sold online nationwide through Walmart and at a limited number of Walmart stores between February and Oct. 21, 2021.

When disposing of the products, "Double bag the bottle in clean, clear zip-top bags and place in a cardboard box. Return the bagged and boxed product to a Walmart store," the CDC said in a statement issued last month. "Wash sheets or linens that the product may have been sprayed on using normal laundry detergent and dry completely in a hot dryer; bleach can be used if desired.n Wipe down counters and surfaces that might have the spray on them with undiluted PineSol or similar disinfectant.nLimit direct handling of the spray bottle and wash hands thoroughly after touching the bottle or linens. If gloves were used, wash hands afterward."

The CDC has also issued a health alert for doctors and other health care providers to watch for patients with symptoms of melioidosis -- acute or chronic localized infection that may include high fever, pain, headache and abscesses in the liver, lung, spleen and prostate -- and to ask patients if they've used certain aromatherapy sprays, CNN reported.

https://consumer.healthday.com/b-11-...655492828.html
    update: Though I know that certain essential oils, such as clove, will actually cause a burning sensation if applied undiluted, but the oils I use topically like lavender, frankincense and tea tree haven't ever harmed me as far as I've noticed.
    I only use small amounts at a time, however.
    Of course, everyone's constitution is different.
    Last edited by onawah; 17th December 2021 at 22:45.
    Each breath a gift...

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2021), Harmony (17th December 2021), Stephanie (17th December 2021), Sue (Ayt) (17th December 2021), wondering (17th December 2021)

+ Reply to Thread