Thread: Drones

1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Default Drones

Drones are beautiful, but sometimes, and as everything else, used for war at first. Tech is developed for war, then it find it's way to the civilian world. Sadly it goes in the wrong order, all times

I used to work on a drone program. To summarize (summarise?) ... I like drones a lot

ETA: Please ignore how many times they guy says "within 5 years", i guess he could not find anything else to say to go beyond the minimal time required for the video lol

Also this drone approach is not something unique to Russia
    Last edited by Mashika; 18th December 2021 at 14:03.
    Tired

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), bluestflame (19th December 2021), Ernie Nemeth (18th December 2021), Ewan (18th December 2021), Hym (22nd December 2021), Icare (31st December 2021), JackMcThorn (18th December 2021), Pam (19th December 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Default Re: Drones

Looking at this tech in action and considering their impact on the future, it is not hard to imagine a day when humans will become almost obsolete on the battlefield.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), bluestflame (19th December 2021), Ewan (18th December 2021), Hym (22nd December 2021), Mashika (18th December 2021), Pam (19th December 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    Looking at this tech in action and considering their impact on the future, it is not hard to imagine a day when humans will become almost obsolete on the battlefield.

For things like emergencies, imagine a situation in the mountains, where roads have been cut, there is no electricity and no internet, but there are drones that can go back and forth

Then you can see how useful it could be, a swarm of drones going through and locating, mapping all places and then a second set of drones comes to bring help, and bigger ones can even help with medical equipment and then people will go there to do the actual work, but initial work was done by the drones, swarming across looking at what's there, in minutes instead of hours

I see value in that, lives would be saved, tons of them

In that case, there's a win-win situation, you don't risk people's lives without need, and you still get same results

It would be optimal if a war was won by losing unmanned planes and drones, or remote controlled ones at least. But i don't expect human kind to give up on the blood sacrifice anytime soon
    Tired

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Ernie Nemeth (18th December 2021), Ewan (18th December 2021), gord (19th December 2021), Hym (22nd December 2021), Pam (19th December 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

If we could use drones like this, but swarms of them, and not requiring a person driving them from far away, then on unreachable zones or buildings that may be dangerous to enter and inspect quickly, we could find victims after an earthquake or other situations that don't allow people to go there. Also it would be way faster than sending a full rescue team

Important thing is that those drones on the videos require someone remotely controlling it, but if we could have the drone be 'smart' and go around on its own, then it allows for great use cases

40 or so drones could cover an entire small town in one hour or less, and find any movement or sign of life and report it back with location and pictures+video/sound. Then someone on the other ends gets the report of "life activity at this location" and reviews it and makes a choice of what to do next

Rescuers would focus on those reported locations first, instead of going manually looking around, thus saving time and effort. That's very optimal and could save lots of lives
    Last edited by Mashika; 19th December 2021 at 02:25.
    Tired

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Hym (22nd December 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

I hate drones!

I regularly walk back and forth over a beautiful, remote dam that is surrounded by hills. Most days there might be a lone cyclist that passes through, or an occasional tourist who only stops briefly.

Recently I had to regularly pause to wait for Water Corp workers to land their drone during practice sessions. Today 2 cops came to set up their drone for practice. I get it. Nice secluded spot with just enough sky space between the hills to play with.

Doesn't stop me from getting cranky at their intrusion though... grrrrr...

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (19th December 2021), Ernie Nemeth (19th December 2021), Ewan (20th December 2021), Hym (22nd December 2021), Mashika (19th December 2021), Pam (19th December 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gemma13 (here)
    I hate drones!

I regularly walk back and forth over a beautiful, remote dam that is surrounded by hills. Most days there might be a lone cyclist that passes through, or an occasional tourist who only stops briefly.

Recently I had to regularly pause to wait for Water Corp workers to land their drone during practice sessions. Today 2 cops came to set up their drone for practice. I get it. Nice secluded spot with just enough sky space between the hills to play with.

Doesn't stop me from getting cranky at their intrusion though... grrrrr...
    Drones:

I guess that's an issue, but the way i want to use them is in specific situations, not to go look at someone on their private property. I also think that's bad in general. I just think that in an emergency like the one described above, in danger zones and in remote locations, drones can and do save people. That's a good use, invading someone else's privacy is a terrible use, and even worse killing people in war zones, but that has been the same for most tech all the time, as far as i can understand it
    Tired

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Ewan (20th December 2021), Gemma13 (19th December 2021), gord (19th December 2021), Hym (22nd December 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

That's the problem with so many things in our life: they could be used for the good of all - but they are most often not.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Ewan (20th December 2021), gord (19th December 2021), Hym (22nd December 2021), Mashika (21st December 2021), Wind (20th December 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    South Africa Avalon Member JohanB's Avatar
    Language
    Afrikaans
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 times in 166 posts

In this "thread" https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1191885 the micro drones discussion fascinated me.

I watched this movie "Eye in the sky" where drones feature strongly and can just imagine how sophisticated "war drones" are today.

My son has a small "off the shelf" toy drone with camera and i am absolutely amazed at the high tech and video quality of this "cheap" gadget.

This story on Coast to Coast fits well in this thread:

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/artic...vy-destroyers/

"Documents released recently under FOIA detail how several US Navy destroyers were harassed repeatedly for weeks by swarms of mysterious drones. The incidents occurred during the summer of 2019, when at least three ships recorded clusters of unidentified aerial vehicles in their vicinity. Attempts to shoot down the drones failed due to the small size of the targets. The US Navy has launched an investigation into the unexplained incidents, but at this time no photos or explanations have been made public."

This very much "drone" concept CityAirbus all-electric octocopter development between Rolls Royce and Airbus perhaps shows us whats to come?

https://www.facebook.com/RollsRoyceG...25273015905456
    Life is good, almost always !

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohanB For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Ewan (31st December 2021), Hym (22nd December 2021), Mashika (21st December 2021)

17. Link to Post #9
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by JohanB (here)
    In this "thread" https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1191885 the micro drones discussion fascinated me.

I watched this movie "Eye in the sky" where drones feature strongly and can just imagine how sophisticated "war drones" are today.

My son has a small "off the shelf" toy drone with camera and i am absolutely amazed at the high tech and video quality of this "cheap" gadget.

This story on Coast to Coast fits well in this thread:

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/artic...vy-destroyers/

"Documents released recently under FOIA detail how several US Navy destroyers were harassed repeatedly for weeks by swarms of mysterious drones. The incidents occurred during the summer of 2019, when at least three ships recorded clusters of unidentified aerial vehicles in their vicinity. Attempts to shoot down the drones failed due to the small size of the targets. The US Navy has launched an investigation into the unexplained incidents, but at this time no photos or explanations have been made public."

This very much "drone" concept CityAirbus all-electric octocopter development between Rolls Royce and Airbus perhaps shows us whats to come?

https://www.facebook.com/RollsRoyceG...25273015905456
    Most current military drones are not really "smart", they have someone behind at base camp driving it, and then the decision to shoot and kill is made back there. The base could even be completely across the world, on another country nearby

One issue mostly mentioned about making drones able to make their own choices is the risk of killing innocent humans by mistake, but that's not stopping current drones from doing the same, even if a human is controlling it from far away. The human error factor still applies, as we see a lot since years ago and very recently

Military swarms of drones could be an even bigger danger to innocent people, if they are directed with an override to 'kill on sight'. Every computer can be hacked, no matter what security it has implemented, so yeah that's a big issue.

You can also take drones over, or make them 'kill' themselves by telling them 'left is right and up is down' then the drone tries to make sense of it and goes all crazy trying to keep itself on the correct route, while going down thinking it's going up and moving left thinking it's going right. It think it's going down too fast and then it corrects by going up (except up is down on its new coordinates system) and it lands nice and hard. Or while trying to figure out why left was right 1 second ago but now it's the other way around, it goes into a crazy spiral of sorts, then it eventually crashes anyway. This also works for rockets by the way

So military drones are not truly very sophisticated. They are effective, the cameras and other tech is effective, but the computers on them are hackable and not something special, when compared to other systems. And without the human behind, there's nothing much truly special going on with military drones, they are "mindless" remotely controlled flying planes with expensive rockets and expensive cameras basically

The principles are always the same, they just have more money to make it more effective and deathly

Last edited by Mashika; 21st December 2021 at 23:53.
    Tired

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Ewan (31st December 2021), Hym (22nd December 2021)

19. Link to Post #10
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

267 km/h. Very interesting at around 0:36 and forward, when it seem he increases the speed a bit more to the max than in previous passes
    Last edited by Mashika; 31st December 2021 at 04:07.
    Tired

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st December 2021), Ewan (31st December 2021), Hym (31st December 2021), JohanB (31st December 2021)

+ Reply to Thread