+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More than I thought I could be

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,205 times in 437 posts

Question More than I thought I could be

Here's a conundrum which I haven't been able to resolve.

Probably many of you know the song and lyrics "One moment in time" by Withney Houston.
    For my part I love this song very very much and I believe this was certainly one of her best songs.
    However, there is that line which, in the literal sense - doesn't make sense at all:

"I want one moment in time
    When I'm more than I thought I could be ..."

I reckon, that the meaning for this is to surpass one's previous achievement against all odds.

But the above line literally taken, translates like: "Even though, I probably reach the 3rd place, I want to reach the 2nd or 1st place."

In my understanding, an athlete always aims for the utmost highest achievement and doesn't reflect back, like "to have achieved more than was possible".
    It's rather the other way round - like, I could have been more than I envisioned.
    I just can't visualize from my vantage point, how to reach more than I thought I could be.

On the other hand, it could also have been an expression of Whitneys "never be good enough" which Kevin Costner told at her funeral.

Perhaps someone can help getting this clearer.
    Nonetheless the line is still intriguing ...

Last edited by Michi; 20th December 2021 at 12:16. Reason: added lyrics video
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2021), DeDukshyn (20th December 2021), Ernie Nemeth (21st December 2021), Harmony (21st December 2021), heretogrow (20th December 2021), Icare (22nd December 2021), iota (20th December 2021), lake (20th December 2021), Mercedes (21st December 2021), rgray222 (20th December 2021), Satori (21st December 2021), toppy (20th December 2021), Violet3 (21st December 2021), Wind (21st December 2021), wondering (20th December 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,531 times in 811 posts

Default Re: More than I thought I could be

Alex Honnold .... El Capitan

For me that would explain it.
    He wanted it for years and even to the days/months before .... knew he couldn't.

Then one moment in time .... he WAS more than anyone thought could be!

Last edited by lake; 20th December 2021 at 22:03.
    Normal..!

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lake For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (21st December 2021), Icare (22nd December 2021), iota (20th December 2021), Mercedes (21st December 2021), Michi (20th December 2021), Violet3 (21st December 2021), Wind (21st December 2021), wondering (20th December 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Letting go of self judgement might be a valid tool at such a stage.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (21st December 2021), Icare (22nd December 2021), Mercedes (21st December 2021), Strat (20th December 2021), Sue (Ayt) (20th December 2021), Violet3 (21st December 2021), Wind (21st December 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Australia Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 1212is24 For This Post:

Icare (22nd December 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,546 times in 2,065 posts

what it is speaking about and acknowledging is the power of mind and thoughts > that WE give to them

IRRESPECTIVE of TRUTH or fact

i once enrolled in a leadership training program that was being held in different sections across the country and 4 or 5 times a year everyone around the coutnry would unite in a central location

the program had certain promises:

Bold Leadership > Being powerful and unstoppable in the face of no agreement

Remarkable Contribution ~ Being someone who leaves others empowered, enabled, and present to their own greatness

Full-Blown Self-expression ~ Being unconstrained in sharing yourself and what matters to you

Extraordinary Accomplishment ~ Being someone who makes things happen that weren't going to happen anyway

public speaking is a real challenge for most people because the number one fear in humans is not death, it is the "fear of looking bad"

so most will not willingly expose themselves in that way or intentionally be that vulnerable, and they were buiding up courage to speak in front of almost a thousand people who had gathered from across the country and some from other parts of the world were also in attendance.

i had gone into that weekend determined NOT to speak .. but listen and observe, and i almost made it ..

BUT as the leader was going over the promises of the program? many were arising to say:

"i can NEVER imagine meeting these goals" or ".. reaching these objectives" and "HOW are we EVER going to BE this?"

and nothing the leader said was bringing clarity, and as i looked aroud i could feel the vibration in the room was starting to drop dramatically, the discouragement was palpable and about to sink ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	there is something great and powerful (8-4-15) ~ 10 (2).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	48125

so i stood up and told them: (this was almost 15 yrs ago, so the wording is not exact)

"these promises? these disticinctions? are NOT destinations or something to BECOME at some later point in Life

when you were born? your entrance in Life was an outright miracle! it brought hope, joy! renewed inspiration! the room lit up just by you entering!

everything about you was Remarkable

when you wanted something? you asked for it! and you got it!

nothing stopped you and your needs were understood and fulfilled way before you learned to speak

but THEN? one day? someone said "BE QUIET!" or "you CAN'T do that!!"

and those voices continued

the problem is that long after the voices stopped? WE took over

these distinctions are NOT something to BEcome

it IS what we already ARE

to BE this? we don't have to BEcome something? we just have to take off ALL the stuff we've put on top of what we ALREADY are"

they gave me a standing ovation ... i think for a moment? they re-membered

the problem isn't being "more than we can be"

it is that the thoughts we continuously allow to roam the corridors of our minds tell us otherwise ... and WE? BE-LIE-ve them

reality will NEVER reflect back to us more than our thoughts give it permission to, even if it did? we would NOT "See" it

our thoughts ARE the problem

and if we can let go of them? we CAN, at least momentarily, BE so much more than our thoughts have ever allowed us to be

there is a part of us that KNOWS this, irrespective of our thoughts

there was a part of her that was aware of this .. she was quite a character .. i met her once

Last edited by iota; 21st December 2021 at 04:43. Reason: shortened, clarity and added pic
    We should defend our way of life
    to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed,

so that any adversary
    will never make such an attempt in the future.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iota For This Post:

earthdreamer (21st December 2021), Icare (22nd December 2021), Sue (Ayt) (20th December 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,020 times in 2,189 posts

It means to be more than I thought I could be in this human life. A glimpse of the greater universe, confirmation that there is much more beyond this human life.
    Everybody gets a "moment in time" but most fail to understand what they are seeing. Some get more than one look.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Icare (22nd December 2021), Mercedes (21st December 2021), Michi (20th December 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,533 times in 2,553 posts

Quote Posted by Michi (here)
    "I want one moment in time
    When I'm more than I thought I could be ..."

I reckon, that the meaning for this is to surpass one's previous achievement against all odds.
    That line sounds a bit mournful and self-defeating even... yearning but not believing.
    Reminds me of the old saying, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

Like others mention above, I like this idea better:

I heard it originally as
    Think you can, Think you can't
    Either way
    You're Right!
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Icare (22nd December 2021), iota (21st December 2021), Mercedes (21st December 2021), Michi (21st December 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Agreed.

Maybe a bit on a different note but comparing oneself to others is generally a bad idea. Isn't there some saying about this? I liked playing football but there was no way I could've gone pro. This doesn't bother me in the slightest but if I spent every waking moment thinking "what if" then I'd be pretty depressed.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Billy Vasiliadis (21st December 2021), DeDukshyn (21st December 2021), Icare (22nd December 2021), Mercedes (21st December 2021), Michi (21st December 2021), Sue (Ayt) (21st December 2021), Wind (21st December 2021)

17. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,061 times in 2,419 posts

What Michi has touched upon in his post is a thought that occurs to me when I read the phrase “Let your grasp exceed your reach.” I find myself wondering whether it should be “Let your reach exceed your grasp.” I have actually seen both versions used.

To me the former means to hold on dearly to what you have. While the latter means strive for more. Both views are valid.

Perhaps the meaning is contextual and subjective.
    Last edited by Satori; 21st December 2021 at 02:27.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

DeDukshyn (21st December 2021), Ernie Nemeth (21st December 2021), Icare (22nd December 2021), iota (21st December 2021), Mercedes (21st December 2021), Michi (21st December 2021), Sue (Ayt) (21st December 2021)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Agreed.

Maybe a bit on a different note but comparing oneself to others is generally a bad idea. Isn't there some saying about this? I liked playing football but there was no way I could've gone pro. This doesn't bother me in the slightest but if I spent every waking moment thinking "what if" then I'd be pretty depressed.
    I would take it even one step further and not compare yourself, to yourself.

All that is required of anyone is to "do their best". Doing your best puts yourself in the present moment. Trying to be "better than before" chains you to the past, or creates a false ideal of yourself in the future. "Doing your best" as is available to you in the present moment is the antidote to those problems.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Icare (22nd December 2021), Mercedes (21st December 2021), Michi (21st December 2021), Satori (21st December 2021), Strat (21st December 2021), Sue (Ayt) (21st December 2021), Wind (21st December 2021)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,205 times in 437 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Agreed.

I would take it even one step further and not compare yourself, to yourself.

All that is required of anyone is to "do their best". Doing your best puts yourself in the present moment. Trying to be "better than before" chains you to the past, or creates a false ideal of yourself in the future. "Doing your best" as is available to you in the present moment is the antidote to those problems.
    ... and probably to add: don't quit - as shown in this famous excerpt:

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

DeDukshyn (22nd December 2021), Icare (22nd December 2021)

+ Reply to Thread