+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Rubber Soul Project - Super Surprising and Underestimated Documentary!

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,662 times in 20,817 posts

Lightbulb The Rubber Soul Project - Super Surprising and Underestimated Documentary!

• The Rubber Soul Project - Super Surprising & Underestimated Documentary!

The Rubber Soul Project was a Serbian rock band. The band took their name from the famous Beatles record Rubber Soul released in 1965. Their first album, The Rubber Soul Project, released in 1996, was conceived as an imaginary Beatles album, with the band writing music and lyrics to songs for which they had heard only the titles. Their second album, The Rubber Soul Project 2, also inspired by the music and the titles of never-before-heard Beatles songs, was released in 2015.
    • The Rubber Soul Project
    The band history begins in 1993 in Belgrade, when visual artist Rastko Ćirić, professor of Illustration and Animation at the Belgrade Faculty of Applied Arts and horror and science fiction writer Goran Skrobonja bonded over their mutual love for the Beatles.

Inspired by the titles of songs the Beatles never released (some of which were available on bootleg recordings in Western Europe, but not in Serbia) they found in Jeff Russel's book The Beatles – Album files and Complete Discography, the two set out to write lyrics and music in the manner in which the Beatles would have done it.

The lyrics were written by Skrobonja, and the music was written by Ćirić.[1] The two then decided to record the album with their songs.

In 1995, the band, named The Rubber Soul Project (in honor of the 30th anniversary of the Beatles Rubber Soul album), was formed. It consisted of Ćirić, Nebojša Ignjatović, musician, former member of Dogovor iz 1804. and professor of double bass at the Belgrade Music Academy, Miroslav Cvetković, bass guitarist of the popular Serbian band Bajaga i Instruktori, and Čedomir Macura, the drummer of Bajaga i Instruktori.

The album The Rubber Soul Project was recorded from December 1994 to March 1995.

On the album recording Ćirić sang and played acoustic guitar, piano, soprano recorder, tambourine, maracas, kazoos, jingle bells and xylophone, Ignjatović sang and played electric guitar, twelve-string guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, tambourine, cabassa, synthesizer and flute, Cvetković played Höfner 500/1 violin bass, tambourine, electric guitar, keyboard bass, maracas, slide guitar and sang backing vocals, and Macura played drums and percussion and did lead vocals on the track "When I Come To Town", the "Ringo Starr song" of the album.

The album was produced by Ignjatović and Cvetković, the latter also being the recording engineer. The goal of the band members was to produce the authentic Beatles sound and atmosphere. Miroslav Cvetković played the Höfner 500/1 violin bass, the same type Paul McCartney used, and Macura played on the Ludwig drum set, the type Ringo Starr played on all Beatles records. The album included a sitar George Harrison-style track called "Indian Rope Trick", rock and roll songs "Home", "When I Come To Town", and "Bound By Love", psychedelic "Colliding Circles", "Watching Rainbows", and "Rubber Soul".

In March 1996, record label PGP-RTS released the album on vinyl (circulation of less than 200 copies, exclusively for radio stations) and cassettes. The album was met by positive reactions from both the audience and the critics.

In April 1996, an article about the project was published in Billboard magazine. Several videos were recorded for the songs from the album. The video for the song "Colliding Circles", directed by Srđan Marković and Jelena Obradović, was awarded the Golden Plaque and the video for the song "Rubber Soul", directed by Aleksandar Dević, was awarded the Best Debut Award at the 1998 Belgrade Festival of Short and Documentary film.

As the authors of the album were unhappy with the fact that they never received any information from PGP-RTS about the number of sold copies, let alone an agreed percentage of the sales, the project was offered to other local publishers in attempt to publish the album on compact disc, but none of them showed interest. Finally, after the three-year contract expired in 1998, the authors agreed to print the CD as their private issue in limited circulation, which appeared in sales at the beginning of 1999.

The CD edition package featured a novella entitled Rubber Soul, originally written by Skrobonja in 1993. The novella was written as a combination of fiction and facts, with the projection of some twenty years in the future. It was illustrated with "documents" created by Rastko Ćirić. In 1994, the novella was proclaimed the best science fiction story in FR Yugoslavia.

• 01 - The Rubber Soul Project - ALL TOGETHER ON THE WIRELESS MACHINE

• 06 - The Rubber Soul Project - COLLIDING CIRCLES

Music and lyrics by Rastko Ciric & Bojan Skrobonja. This nostalgic project is a collection of "re-invented" unknown Beatles songs, composed in their style and performed with the old instruments and equipment in order to get the sound of the Sixties. "Nobody has ever heard those lost songs and we got an idea to reconstruct them ourselves since only the titles were listed in some books. The Titles are the only Beatles made stuff here. We were impatient to hear those songs so we thought them up" (authors)
    • 08 - The Rubber Soul Project - HEATHER

• 09 - The Rubber Soul Project - WHEN I COME TO TOWN

• 10 - The Rubber Soul Project - BOUND BY LOVE
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 24th December 2021 at 05:36.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

haroldsails (24th December 2021), Inversion (24th December 2021), Le Chat (24th December 2021), Mike Gorman (24th December 2021), onevoice (24th December 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: The Rubber Soul Project - Super Surprising and Underestimated Documentary!

• 15 - The Rubber Soul Project - RUBBER SOUL:

Music and lyrics by Rastko Ciric & Bojan Skrobonja. This nostalgic project is a collection of "re-invented" unknown Beatles songs, composed in their style and performed with the old instruments and equipment in order to get the sound of the Sixties. "Nobody has ever heard those lost songs and we got an idea to reconstruct them ourselves since only the titles were listed in some books. The Titles are the only Beatles made stuff here. We were impatient to hear those songs so we thought them up" (authors)
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

haroldsails (24th December 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member haroldsails's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: The Rubber Soul Project - Super Surprising and Underestimated Documentary!

To me, an unconditional fan of the Beatles, this is very nice listening.
    I've heard it all before, but never heard this. Thank you for the introduction!
    Last edited by haroldsails; 24th December 2021 at 01:24.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haroldsails For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (24th December 2021), Mike Gorman (24th December 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,989 times in 1,749 posts

Default Re: The Rubber Soul Project - Super Surprising and Underestimated Documentary!

I am sitting at my desk, wearing a Beatles Tee-shirt with a picture of the boys, so it is fitting that I listen: I can hear The Beatles in this music, definitely, it is very interesting although the playful repetitive quality of the lyrics miss the mark I feel, it is certainly musically strong and this is their strength: the songwriting is nowhere near The Beatles level of sophistication and depth (is that harsh?) But I enjoyed listening and have never heard of this project. I think if you take this in the context of eastern European guys not having heard Rubber soul and writing their own ideas down of how they imagined it, it is superb.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (24th December 2021), haroldsails (24th December 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike Gorman (here)
    I am sitting at my desk, wearing a Beatles Tee-shirt with a picture of the boys, so it is fitting that I listen: I can hear The Beatles in this music, definitely, it is very interesting although the playful repetitive quality of the lyrics miss the mark I feel, it is certainly musically strong and this is their strength: the songwriting is nowhere near The Beatles level of sophistication and depth (is that harsh?) But I enjoyed listening and have never heard of this project. I think if you take this in the context of eastern European guys not having heard Rubber soul and writing their own ideas down of how they imagined it, it is superb.
    I sensed the same thing ... can you name ANY band copying the typical style The Beatles that is so close/near? ... Sure it is not perfect (far from it) ... but very similar fun vibes indeed.

Eastern Europe Serbians are in my view very down to earth types not claiming to be "better" ... far closer being genuine authentic without showing off about it.

Project Rubber Soul did not had nor have a powerful marketing & promotion network going for them ... if they did, most likely some of their work would be in the Top 10 of many charts worldwide ... but they did not ... Why? ... because many hear about them since very recently!

cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 24th December 2021 at 16:39.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Reinhard (24th December 2021)

+ Reply to Thread