+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is "non-special forgetting"?

1. Link to Post #1
    UK Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default What is "non-special forgetting"?

What is a defense mechanism of the psyche called "non-special forgetting"?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JackWhite For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022), Mashika (30th December 2021), Mercedes (4th January 2022), rgray222 (4th January 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,630 times in 20,810 posts

Default Re: What is "non-special forgetting"?

Quote Posted by JackWhite (here)

why do you not add proper context, sources & examples? ... ah you "forgot" because it is not special enough?
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 30th December 2021 at 00:23.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022), Mashika (30th December 2021), Mercedes (4th January 2022), Vangelo (30th December 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 times in 830 posts

I'd really like to help, but I've never heard of the term before.
    There is a term called "motivated forgetting" which means people consciously or unconsciously forget unpleasant or unwanted memories. They could, for example, direct their attention elsewhere when something reminds them of something upleasant. That way they could forget a memory without actually intending to forget.
    Is that what you mean?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Icare For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022), Mashika (30th December 2021), Vangelo (30th December 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Selective memory? Repressed memories? It sounds like you are talking about that, unsure but sure it does look like it
    Tired

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Icare (30th December 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022), Mercedes (4th January 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    UK Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I unfortunately do not have the correct knowledge of the terminology, but you are close to what I was asking about.

I'll give an example of what I mean:
    For example, two people have a quarrel. They swear and say things that are not very pleasant to each other. And at the end of the quarrel, one does not remember what was said by the second, only feelings are remembered, and even then remotely.

It became a little clearer what I mean?

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JackWhite For This Post:

Gwin Ru (12th January 2022), Harmony (5th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022), Mark (4th January 2022), Mashika (30th December 2021), Mercedes (4th January 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    UK Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Sorry, there are just times when you forget that not everything in your head is obvious to others. Below I explained what I meant.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Yes, most likely I am talking about this, but did not know the terminology. Thank you

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JackWhite For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022), Mashika (30th December 2021), Mercedes (4th January 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

If you don't remember then that means you've got it! :-P

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alanantic For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022), Mashika (30th December 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,630 times in 20,810 posts

Lightbulb Re: What is "non-special forgetting"?

Maybe when 2 souls who are not living in self-honesty dislikes what they see in the other but both guilty of doing exactly that! ... Knowing deep inside it was a waste of time ... The moment some one is brutally honest (including being humble/vulnerable) to one-self and expressing that to the other ... you will notice people will not easily forget that!
    • To make something more memorable starts with living self-honesty & self-reflection. Everything else could be a distraction.
    cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 30th December 2021 at 19:36.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Icare (30th December 2021), JackWhite (4th January 2022), Jad (30th December 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022), Vicus (5th January 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Vangelo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 times in 567 posts

I unfortunately do not have the correct knowledge of the terminology, but you are close to what I was asking about.

I'll give an example of what I mean:
    For example, two people have a quarrel. They swear and say things that are not very pleasant to each other. And at the end of the quarrel, one does not remember what was said by the second, only feelings are remembered, and even then remotely.

It became a little clearer what I mean?
    This sounds like something Anthony Martino calls ‘emotional blindness’ in his books ‘My Kid, My Shadow’ and ‘The Inconsequential Child’.

Emotional blindness is the inability to remember things because they are too painful to recall. Often they are related in some way to the person’s ‘shadows’ as defined by Carl Jung. Shadows are personality traits and beliefs that we reject because they are too painful to accept. Shadows are hidden deep within our unconscious minds. As such, we are unaware of their existence and they are referred to as being ‘disowned’ by us even though they are a fundamental part of who we are.

Here is an excerpt from ‘My Kid, My Shadow’ …
    This process of burying some of our memories and disowned traits is a coping mechanism of the human mind. … This facility to repress and disown things as a means of protection is extraordinarily powerful and thorough. I can’t tell you the number of times I have spoken to people about their disowned and repressed traits only to find that they have completely forgotten the details of the discussion minutes later. These are discussions where I have specifically called their attention to the fact that we were discussing one of their disowned traits. They would acknowledge the disowned trait as theirs and even expand upon its characteristics. Then 20 minutes later, they would have no memory of what the repressed trait was. They would remember the conversation. They would remember me asking if they realized we were talking about their disowned traits. But, they would be unable to recall any of the details of the specific trait. It was as if someone purposefully zapped their disowned trait from their conscious mind.

This forgetfulness has happened to me; many times, in fact. I am sure it will happen again when I touch upon something particularly painful. It amazes me every time it happens. Until you actually see it occur or have it happen to you, it isn’t easy to imagine or understand. Trust me; it is real. I suspect there is a standard psychological term for this phenomenon, but I call it emotional blindness.
    Happiness comes from within, nowhere else.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vangelo For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (31st December 2021), Harmony (5th January 2022), Icare (30th December 2021), JackWhite (4th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022), Mark (4th January 2022), Vicus (5th January 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    UK Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Yes, there is truth in your words.
    Thanks!
    cheers,
    ExomatrixTv

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackWhite For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    UK Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thank you, you helped me a lot.
    I will definitely read this book (it really interested me).
    Have a good day!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JackWhite For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022), Vangelo (4th January 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,461 times in 2,849 posts

I think a part of what you may be talking about is how in the heat of an argument the inflammation of the passions is such that the words that are said are sometimes forgotten.

I know when I've been in arguments before it is something that has happened to me. I'll say something and the person I'm arguing with will bring it back up and I will have no memory of having said what they said I said, or perhaps only a vague memory of saying something like that but maybe not specifically.

Which causes a new argument all on its own. Did I say that? No I did not! You're projecting! Like Malisa said, it sounds like a form of selective memory.

Which is a never-ending fight, for those familiar with this propensity to remember selectively.
    Last edited by Mark; 7th January 2022 at 17:18. Reason: complete final sentence

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022), Mike (4th January 2022), rgray222 (4th January 2022)

25. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,019 times in 2,189 posts

I am not sure if it is applicable to this discussion but almost all of us engage in "denial" from time to time. Sometimes the denial can be extraordinary, it could be about alcoholism, drug addiction or domestic abuse. It could happen to a person who has been raped or experienced horrible war atrocities. More often than not our denial kicks in over things that are simply not that important, such as something said in the heat of the moment. At any rate, denial is a built-in mechanism to protect our psyche and our reality. Most of the time the denial is nothing more than "special forgetting." No harm no foul. Sometimes denial can eat us alive and without the proper care and help it can destroy us from the inside out.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th January 2022), Mark (7th January 2022), Vangelo (4th January 2022)

27. Link to Post #14
    Belgium Avalon Member Johan (Keyholder)'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,746 times in 531 posts

When I read the words "non-special forgetting", my first thought was about "dissociative amnesia".
    I saw what it can do and what can cause it, from very nearby.

However, "non-special forgetting" seems to be closer to "selective amnesia", which is not quite the same.
    There is very often an "organic" cause for it; like an injured brain. Parts of the memory are actually "gone".

With dissociative amnesia there is no physical cause, or brain damage. This happens most often because of traumatic
    experiences. It can happen that these memories come back after months, a year or many years.
    Last edited by Johan (Keyholder); 4th January 2022 at 21:28.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Mark (7th January 2022), rgray222 (4th January 2022)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Johan (Keyholder) (here)
    When I read the words "non-special forgetting", my first thought was about "dissociative amnesia".
    I saw what it can do and what can cause it, from very nearby.

However, "non-special forgetting" seems to be closer to "selective amnesia", which is not quite the same.
    There is very often an "organic" cause for it; like an injured brain. Parts of the memory are actually "gone".

With dissociative amnesia there is no physical cause, or brain damage. This happens most often because of traumatic
    experiences. It can happen that these memories come back after months, a year or many years.
    This dissociative amnesia is interesting. I looked it up on the Cleveland Clinic website which describes it as ...Dissociative amnesia is a condition in which a person cannot remember important information about their life. This forgetting may be limited to certain specific areas (thematic), or may include much of the person’s life history and/or identity (general).

In some rare cases called dissociative fugue, the person may forget most or all of their personal information (name, personal history, friends), and may sometimes even travel to a different location and adopt a completely new identity. In all cases of dissociative amnesia, the person has a much greater memory loss than would be expected in the course of normal forgetting.

Dissociative amnesia is one of a group of conditions called dissociative disorders. Dissociative disorders are mental illnesses in which there is a breakdown of mental functions that normally operate smoothly, such as memory, consciousness or awareness, and identity and/or perception.

Dissociative symptoms can be mild, but they can also be so severe that they keep the person from being able to function. They can also affect relationships and work activities.

This sounds very different from emotional blindness (described in a previous post) which seems to be about forgetting specific beliefs and conclusions related to a person's shadows.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vangelo For This Post:

Harmony (5th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (5th January 2022), Mark (7th January 2022)

31. Link to Post #16
    UK Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hmm, that's interesting.Do you by any chance know if the symptoms can progress? And what are the reasons for all this?

32. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Hmm, that's interesting.Do you by any chance know if the symptoms can progress? And what are the reasons for all this?
    Hi JackWhite, I'm not sure which post you are referring to.

If you are referring to my last post and the symptoms of Dissociative Amnesia, I certainly cannot help. I simply looked it up on the Cleveland Clinic website.

33. Link to Post #18
    Netherlands Avalon Member mokosh's Avatar
    Thanks

If you are talking about dissociative amnesia, I think it is a freeze responds. With a traumatic event you have 3 options, fight, flight, freeze. When you are in a freeze responds, everything you do is an automatic reflex. ( I described myself as a robot) Memory (brain) is shut off.

I don't think it can progress, unless you have more traumatic events.

34. Link to Post #19
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,454 times in 4,331 posts

... well, descriptors and labels are fine but experiencing it is maddening. It's like boxing with shadows, literally... which is exactly what it is: entities in the background taking over as some sort of black out, like: "What do you mean you don't remember doing/saying this/that/the other to me!?"

The one that remembers is the one that got hurt in the argument; the one doing the hurting doesn't remember a darn thing and is left holding the bag and/or the smoking gun and having no clues about what just happened! ... because that one wasn't "there" any longer, but, an entity was; and expertly controlling that one's body's speech and action!

That's how relationships nose dive and crash and is the root cause of the destruction of families and partnerships.

Related:
    Last edited by Gwin Ru; 12th January 2022 at 13:38.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

Icare (16th January 2022)

36. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 times in 415 posts

COVID: Gnosis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamorphoses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast