Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Fire Drills

1. Link to Post #41
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

Default Re: Fire Drills

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    Half of my life ago, I was engaged in off-road adventures, in one occasion my friend's jeep CJ got a flat tire, and we were already using the spare, usually he carried 2 spares for long trips, but the CJ is damn small and there were 4 of us, then no space for an extra spare, the nearest village was at least 30km away, our solution was to fill up the radial tire with green grass, it was a crazy idea our friend suggested, but it worked and we had to drive at minimum speed specially in the curves, until find a shop to fix properly it.
    Was very fun.
    This is the reason I have very little interest in prepping. when TSHTF we'll eventually find a fix, and its fun. When I was a young boy my dad and I went hunting. We brought our motor bike as deep as it can go to the woods so we dont have to hike very far. When we came back the tire is flat. We filled it with dry banana leaves and we were able to go home. It's fun experience that I still remember and relate to my kids especially when there is a flat tire.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

avid (1st January 2022), Bill Ryan (1st January 2022), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2023), Harmony (2nd January 2022), haroldsails (2nd January 2022), Inversion (23rd June 2022), onevoice (4th January 2022), palehorse (2nd January 2022), RunningDeer (1st January 2022), Suzi E (23rd June 2022), WhiteFeather (1st January 2022), wondering (23rd June 2022)

3. Link to Post #42
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,520 times in 32,788 posts

A [mildly!] interesting local update. Some may remember that in February 2021, in the Texas deep freeze, Mike Adams was very honestly sharing that the emergency there had been valuable for him inasmuch as it had given him useful feedback about his own prepping, and there were a number of things he'd just not thought of.

There's a situation in Ecuador now (reported here and here), with well-organized indigenous protesters blocking all the roads with a major list of demands from the government. This is just a temporary situation, and it'll all be resolved in a week or so (the innocent local people are beginning to suffer, which is always the case). And I'm very largely unaffected personally, as I have plenty of supplies.

But I never counted on not being able to get to the markets for fresh fruit and veg, which I was sure would remain as normal here even in the light of severe global food shortages. (The markets aren't affected by global problems, but the roads are all blockaded with fallen trees and fires, so travel is impossible right now and local produce can't reach the markets either.)

My metabolism is very attuned to daily fresh fruit, and so that's what I'm missing. I have quite a lot of frozen fruit juice, and a bunch of limes (which are pretty long-lasting, as the British sailors knew very well a couple of hundred years ago), but the rest of my longlife fruit is in the form of raisins, prunes and dates.

If this all lasts for several more weeks, then I'd be completely out. So when I can get to the markets and stores again, I'll make sure that I'm better prepared for events like this, as dried fruit lasts for a very long time and is readily available.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (23rd June 2022), avid (23rd June 2022), Casey Claar (23rd June 2022), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2023), Ernie Nemeth (23rd June 2022), Ewan (23rd June 2022), Gwin Ru (23rd June 2022), Harmony (23rd June 2022), Inversion (23rd June 2022), kudzy (23rd June 2022), palehorse (26th June 2022), RunningDeer (23rd June 2022), Suzi E (23rd June 2022), wondering (23rd June 2022)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

Quote Posted by WhiteFeather (here)
    Quote Posted by Spiral (here)
    Re the grease thing, copper grease is the best thing for lubing something you aren't likely to take apart for a long time, because the copper remains long after the grease has dried up or washed off & helps prevent the two surfaces of the threaded parts welding themselves together with corrosion.
    Interesting, thanks for sharing, i have never heard of that type of grease, Question: Would wheel bearing grease be similar?
    In the states we call it anti-seize

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ricker For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd June 2022), Ewan (24th June 2022), Harmony (24th June 2022), palehorse (26th June 2022), RunningDeer (23rd June 2022), Suzi E (23rd June 2022)

7. Link to Post #44
    United States Avalon Member Casey Claar's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,971 times in 727 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    My metabolism is very attuned to daily fresh fruit, and so that's what I'm missing. I have quite a lot of frozen fruit juice, and a bunch of limes (which are pretty long-lasting, as the British sailors knew very well a couple of hundred years ago), but the rest of my longlife fruit is in the form of raisins, prunes and dates.
    Goodness, me, too.. I would have to fast without daily fresh fruit. Dried fruit can be hydrated to make it more hydrating. You might add FIGS to your dried fruit stores. They can store an incredibly long time and are nutritionally so satisfying. I hope things resolve for everyone there soon.
    "Love is what is left when you let go of everything you no longer need." —Raj

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd June 2022), Ewan (24th June 2022), Harmony (24th June 2022), palehorse (26th June 2022), RunningDeer (23rd June 2022), Suzi E (23rd June 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3