1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,086 times in 870 posts

Default Loving Meditation Slows Biological Aging & Protects DNA Strands

I just wanted to share this article I just read here;

https://thepulse.one/2021/12/27/stud...s-dna-strands/

Study: Loving-Kindness Meditation Slows Biological Aging & Protects DNA Strands

IN BRIEF

The Facts:
    Scientists have shown that loving-kindness meditation has a positive impact at the cellular level.
    The study examined how different types of meditation influenced telomere length, an indicator of physiological aging.
    Cultivating compassion and friendly feelings towards others slowed the decline of telomeres.

In today’s world, where there’s no money there’s no attention. This is especially true when it comes to the medical industrial complex, and it’s why the science behind health interventions that can be quite beneficial are not at the forefront of mainstream medicine.

The mind body connection is one of these health interventions. A study published in 2019 is one of many that has provided proof of just how impactful mindfulness interventions can be on human biology. It’s titled “Loving-kindness meditation slows biological aging in novices: Evidence from a 12-week randomized controlled trial” and was published in the Journal Psychoneuroendocrinology.

The study suggests that loving-kindness meditation has a measurable positive impact at the cellular level. The study examined how different types of meditation influenced telomere length, which is an indicator of physiological aging.

Telomeres are the protective caps on the ends of the strands of DNA called chromosomes. With time they get shorter. For the most part, the more we age the shorter they get. Other environmental toxins, like smoking and unhealthy habits also contribute to the shortening of our telomeres. There are also a number of habits and substances that have been shown to slow down this process & even lengthen our telomeres, like fasting for example, which in essence means one is reversing the aging process.

“Chronological age and biological age are not identical. The former is measured in years, whereas the latter is often indexed by telomere length,” the authors explained. “Telomeres progressively shorten with cell division (i.e., aging) in general but may also be replenished or lengthened by the enzyme telomerase.”

The study was 12 weeks long and comprised of 176 participants between the ages of 35-64 years old. All of the participants had little to no meditation experience and were assigned to a 6-week long loving-kindness meditation workshop, a 6-week mindfulness meditation workshop, or a waitlist control group.

Researchers collected blood samples at the beginning and end of the study in order to measure telomere length before and after the meditation intervention.

The mindfulness meditation workshop helped the participants focus on the present moment and develop a non judgemental attitude. It was simply used to help bring one’s awareness into the present moment, while the loving-kindness meditation workshop focused on helping participants cultivate warm and friendly feelings towards others.

The researchers found that telomere length shortened for everybody, which is normal, but the daily practice of the loving-kindness meditation created a buffer against the decline. The researchers explained that in the loving-kindness group, there was “no significant telomere shortening over time.”

These results correlate with other studies that have looked at meditation and telomere length. Research published in the journal Cancer in 2014 found that telomeres maintained their length in breast cancer survivors who practiced mindfulness meditation. Additionally, a 2018 study in the journal Brain, Behavior, and Immunity found that telomere length actually increased in meditation retreat participants after three weeks.

Feeling gratitude, which can be part of a loving-kindness meditation also changes the molecular structure of the brain. Neuroimaging studies have shown this to be true.

“Having an attitude of gratitude changes the molecular structure of the brain, keeps gray matter functioning, and makes us healthier and happier. When you feel happiness, the central nervous system is affected. You are more peaceful, less reactive and less resistant. Now that’s a really cool way of taking care of your well-being.”
    -UCLA Newsroom, Joan Moran.

You can read more about that here;
    https://thepulse.one/2021/09/06/grat...of-your-brain/

Other fascinating research in this area has come from the scientists at the HeartMath Institute. Their research has also shown the importance of emotions not just on our own biology, but on others as well.

According to Rollin McCraty, Ph.D, and Director of Research at Heartmath,

Research findings have shown that as we practice heart coherence and radiate love and compassion, our heart generates a coherent electromagnetic wave into the local field environment that facilitates social coherence, whether in the home, workplace, classroom or sitting around a table. As more individuals radiate heart coherence, it builds an energetic field that makes it easier for others to connect with their heart. So, theoretically it is possible that enough people building individual and social coherence could actually contribute to an unfolding global coherence.
    You can read more about that here;

https://thepulse.one/2021/11/12/our-...aordinary-way/

Peace, compassion, service to others and positive emotions are often overlooked when it comes to being game changers for the world and changing our human experience. Despite being so overlooked, they may be the dominant and most important factors for humanity to cultivate if we are going to progress, move forward and thrive as a human collective.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wishing all the beautiful souls of Avalon a peaceful and blessed 2022.
    Love to you all
    🕊 💛

Last edited by Sérénité; 2nd January 2022 at 15:57.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Sérénité For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd January 2022), bobme (3rd January 2022), Brigantia (2nd January 2022), Dorjezigzag (2nd January 2022), Ewan (2nd January 2022), Forest Denizen (2nd January 2022), graeme22 (2nd January 2022), haroldsails (2nd January 2022), Hym (2nd January 2022), Ioneo (2nd January 2022), Nasu (2nd January 2022), Pam (2nd January 2022), RunningDeer (2nd January 2022), scotslad (3rd January 2022), Spiral (2nd January 2022), Sunny-side-up (3rd January 2022), toppy (2nd January 2022), ulli (3rd January 2022), Vangelo (2nd January 2022), wondering (2nd January 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Default Re: Loving Meditation Slows Biological Aging & Protects DNA Strands

Wow! What encouraging information. I knew that gratitude is beneficial in many ways but how fascinating to see this manifesting on the material plane. Actually tranforming the physical body at a very substantial level. Thank you dear Serenite for the uplifting information.

I love the way this article presents gratitude as a state of mind we can actually practice and learn, a state of consciousness that we can choose to generate. I think there is a tendency to believe that it only occurs as a spontaneous response to something, to an event that occurs outside ourselves that "deserves" the feeling of gratitude, usually something we want to happen.

Quote Having an attitude of gratitude changes the molecular structure of the brain, keeps gray matter functioning, and makes us healthier and happier. When you feel happiness, the central nervous system is affected. You are more peaceful, less reactive and less resistant. Now that’s a really cool way of taking care of your well-being.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd January 2022), Brigantia (2nd January 2022), Ewan (2nd January 2022), Forest Denizen (2nd January 2022), haroldsails (2nd January 2022), Hym (2nd January 2022), Sérénité (2nd January 2022), Spiral (2nd January 2022), toppy (2nd January 2022), ulli (3rd January 2022), wondering (2nd January 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,086 times in 870 posts

Quote Posted by Pam (here)
    Wow! What encouraging information. I knew that gratitude is beneficial in many ways but how fascinating to see this manifesting on the material plane. Actually tranforming the physical body at a very substantial level. Thank you dear Serenite for the uplifting information.

I love the way this article presents gratitude as a state of mind we can actually practice and learn, a state of consciousness that we can choose to generate. I think there is a tendency to believe that it only occurs as a spontaneous response to something, to an event that occurs outside ourselves that "deserves" the feeling of gratitude, usually something we want to happen.

Quote Having an attitude of gratitude changes the molecular structure of the brain, keeps gray matter functioning, and makes us healthier and happier. When you feel happiness, the central nervous system is affected. You are more peaceful, less reactive and less resistant. Now that’s a really cool way of taking care of your well-being.
    It was quite a synchronistic find for me Pam, as I really wanted to go into the new year looking for the positive in any situations that may arise, whether they seem good or bad.
    The fact it can slow down my aging process and repair DNA is all the more reason to give it a go. Imagine the money that could be saved on overpriced anti ageing creams…today I’m grateful for that

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sérénité For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd January 2022), Ewan (2nd January 2022), Forest Denizen (2nd January 2022), haroldsails (2nd January 2022), Hym (2nd January 2022), Pam (3rd January 2022), ulli (3rd January 2022), wondering (2nd January 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,060 times in 646 posts

Love it.

I am not going to justify why the historic reality I have created, experienced and perpetuated was a result of my own self imposed poor self judgement of myself, others and the previous circumstances I "found" myself in.

I am now appreciating what I am allowing myself to accept that is unfolding that is the perfect next step without me having to force any agenda from a position of fear, lack or limitation for I actually chose to incarnate here at this time and forget what the agenda actually was/is.

Weirdly, the more I acept and appreciate the mystery instead of trying to solve, fix or address negative experiences, I am now very accepting of the fact that life and its mysteriously unfolding is happening for me to assist me in growing and raising my vibration and to accept what is coming in 2022 is far better than I had previously "imagined".

Nice once @Serenite

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd January 2022), Pam (3rd January 2022), Sérénité (4th January 2022), ulli (3rd January 2022)

+ Reply to Thread