+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there any VPN or Proxy you actually trust?

1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Default Is there any VPN or Proxy you actually trust?

In the past months i have been trying to find a good VPN or proxy server, but all of the ones i checked, like RusVPN or ZenMATE among other common ones, are truly not safe or fail so much that i just could not keep going

Then i tried using an OpenVPN server setup by a friend in Mexico, it was even worse, constantly dropping pages, unable to load sites with 404 just to work perfectly one second later and load the site completely, but then i would click on something and again a 404 error

Spent hours today trying to find the problem with my friends VPN but nothing worked and i'll have to drop it

I'm completely fed up with trying to find anything that works reliable and it's safe

Is anyone here on Avalon using Tor? If so, for how long and how do you feel about it?

If you have a paid VPN or Proxy that you can use on your phone and laptop, did they ask for your full details like address and phone number and so on before you could subscribe?
    Tired

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Alecs (8th January 2022), Bill Ryan (7th January 2022), Ewan (7th January 2022), ExomatrixTV (8th January 2022), gord (8th January 2022), Ioneo (7th January 2022), Kryztian (7th January 2022), thepainterdoug (9th January 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,661 times in 480 posts

Default Re: Is there any VPN or Proxy you actually trust?

Not sure about phone but NordVPN works well for me on the net.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/nordvpn

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frankie Pancakes For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th January 2022), Ewan (7th January 2022), kfm27917 (9th January 2022), Mashika (7th January 2022), SpookyMulder (7th January 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,274 times in 1,654 posts

I use Tor for ages...no big problem at all... for BIG "secrets"... not for watch movies !

but I use Opera for normal things... (have a VPN modus).

I got Brave too, have an option whit Tor too...

and best of all is "Tails" an amnesic OS, come whit everything basic you need : writer program, etc. + Tor .

You can keep it (Tails) in an USB and taken whit you everywhere (your PC, laptop, etc. friends equipment ,internet café an so on...) and when you take off your USB NOTHING will writhing on hard drives therefore "amnesic"

https://tails.boum.org

Tails and Tor Recommended by Edward Snowden...
    Last edited by Vicus; 7th January 2022 at 19:21.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th January 2022), Ewan (7th January 2022), Icare (9th January 2022), leavesoftrees (10th January 2022), Mashika (7th January 2022), meat suit (7th January 2022), SpookyMulder (7th January 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,951 times in 2,389 posts

Quote Posted by Malisa (here)
    In the past months i have been trying to find a good VPN or proxy server, but all of the ones i checked, like RusVPN or ZenMATE among other common ones, are truly not safe or fail so much that i just could not keep going

Then i tried using an OpenVPN server setup by a friend in Mexico, it was even worse, constantly dropping pages, unable to load sites with 404 just to work perfectly one second later and load the site completely, but then i would click on something and again a 404 error

Spent hours today trying to find the problem with my friends VPN but nothing worked and i'll have to drop it

I'm completely fed up with trying to find anything that works reliable and it's safe

Is anyone here on Avalon using Tor? If so, for how long and how do you feel about it?

I've used Tor in the past but I find that really slows things down, not to unbearable levels but you do notice the difference. If you go on the deep web with Tor and Tails it is like going back in time to when you had a 56k dial-up, (but you wouldn't know what that was like. You had time to leave your screen and go and make tea just waiting for a picture to load).

If you have a paid VPN or Proxy that you can use on your phone and laptop, did they ask for your full details like address and phone number and so on before you could subscribe?

I use CyberGhost and rarely have any problems, they promise they don't share your data and if I recall are based in Romania. However, yes, you will have to share your personal details, you have to pay them for a start.

But if you then use Tor even they don't know where you are going, (as I understand it).

There is a big problem if you are using a Router though, doesn't matter how secure you believe you've got your browsing unless you find a way to protect the router then if someone want to see what you're doing they probably can.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th January 2022), Justplain (8th January 2022), Mashika (7th January 2022), SpookyMulder (7th January 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

I would say: https://protonvpn.com/

It isn't cheap, but the quality/service is there and you can register for free, added to a protonmail account.

Other options here too: https://stacksocial.com/collections/...tware-security

Anyway Tor should be more than enough if you wish to stick to it
    I have seen life on this planet, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpookyMulder For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th January 2022), Ewan (9th January 2022), Mashika (7th January 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks

For reading, Tor is no problem, and the best is NO ONE knows WHAT you are reading...

your internet provider knows you use Tor but don't have any clue what for! ( you can change your "identity" a zillon times...

I use 4 browser for different targets...

for political/vax issues Tor is unchallenged...

for movies I use Opera VNP modus (I don't pay nothing to watch...)

and so on...

If I want to pay something in internet, I prefer donate to Avalon...
    Last edited by Vicus; 7th January 2022 at 21:33.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Ewan (9th January 2022), Justplain (8th January 2022), Mashika (8th January 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,067 times in 698 posts

My Advice would be allways use more than 1 of these services, i usualy use tor and then vpn or even two vpn services.
    " Loka samasta sukhino bhavantu / May all beings in all worlds be happy and free and may the thoughts, words and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all "

tibetian mantra

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to seehas For This Post:

Ewan (9th January 2022), leavesoftrees (10th January 2022), Mashika (8th January 2022), Vicus (8th January 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,284 times in 639 posts

Ross Ulbricht

"https://www.courthousenews.com/life-in-prison-for-young-leader-of-silk-road/"

ending with:

Mother Lynn Ulbricht commented that she was "blown away" by the sentence.

"When I was growing up, life sentences weren't given as frequently," she said. "Maybe it's the drug war, but since then, I see sentences all the time. Growing up, you had to be a mass murderer to get a life sentence."

Source = https://www.courthousenews.com/life-...-of-silk-road/

If anything it's tor you can trust (to my knowledge)

Here is a url if you want to go further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zjwwkzbp-Y

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHatedOne/videos

But be aware, if this guy is still on YouTube, not censored, can he be trusted?
    I don'nt know anymore.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Rawhide68; 8th January 2022 at 00:20.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rawhide68 For This Post:

Ewan (9th January 2022), Mashika (8th January 2022), Vicus (8th January 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

One of the issues i should probably have described better is this

I usually use my phone as a modem, to share the internet connection, i don't have wifi around most of the time and instead use a data plan, so when i connect the laptop to internet is using the phone as the modem

This is why i want to have an "always enabled" proxy on the phone so that every connection goes through there. Like when using Twitter/Telegram etc apps on the phone, but also allowing the laptop to go through the proxy/vpn. Only using Tor on the browser seems problematic, and i was unable to setup a full time connection through tor on the phone that would also handle connections sent from the laptop through the shared hotspot

Tor in Russia has several issues

https://blog.torproject.org/tor-censorship-in-russia/
    Quote Responding to Tor censorship in Russia
    by ggus | December 7, 2021
    Chances are, the ISP or mobil company may report you as using Tor, they may not know what you are doing, but they know you are using it, and then they will add you to a list somewhere that the government will see, and then they know who is the owner of the data plan anyways so "they know" you are doing something "shady"

I felt more safe when i was using my Mexico's friend VPN, since he would not log any data or packets sent through, unlike other VPN services including Russian ones. Unfortunately it did not work well at all and it became so frustrating i had to stop using it yesterday, i believe it was around 65% slow/failure loading and just around 35% full speed/sites working, just impossible and terribly frustrating

It also doesn't help i'm on a very remote location and mobile sign is bad, so internet is always slow by default, add a server in the middle that is also slow and then imagine.... lol

Don't know what i will use but Tor seems to be out of reach for me for now

Thanks for all the recommendations, i will have to go through some of them now, i have heard of NordVPN but i don't know yet, will have to look more into it

CyberGhost looks like it could be a good option, with the Android client, but i'll have to see if they support sharing the connection with a laptop and directing all traffic through it. In the past i thought i had found a good one that did it correctly, then i found that after a while it was dropping the laptop connection and Chrome was going to internet directly, exposing my true location and connection :/

This, in the end, is a giant mess, there is no privacy for real around here, and as usual "the roads are closing" more and more every other week
    Tired

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Ewan (9th January 2022), Vicus (8th January 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,603 times in 673 posts

The bottom line is that there is no such thing as anonymity, unless you're sufficiently connected, protected, unaccountable, own the service provider whether internet or phone, run the dns, the vpn service, the tor exit nodes, and can manage to manipulate all of the metadata to look like something else, or have "special access".... [insert pseudo-anonymous grumbling here]

Having said that, I have the ProtonVPN Plus paid plan. It has tor built in. It works on my phone. It can be set to refuse any connection to anything unless it's active. I've used the phone as a wifi hotspot with the vpn running on the phone to connect a laptop to the net through the phone service.

But, certain sites won't allow any connection from a vpn pretending to be somewhere else. My bank, and a local pharmacy do this, but you can just give ProtonVPN a list of sites for which you want vpn bypassed. Other sites ask if you want the web page meant for the nation you're pretending to be in, or do you want the web page meant for the nation you're really in? -- naming both. (newegg does this)
    The only place a perfect right angle ever CAN be, is the mind.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gord For This Post:

Ewan (9th January 2022), Mashika (8th January 2022), Mike Gorman (8th January 2022), Vicus (8th January 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 times in 806 posts

I use Brave in Linux, riseup VPN app in smartphone.
    For free society!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

Mashika (8th January 2022), Vicus (8th January 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 times in 806 posts

I use Brave in Linux, riseup VPN app in smartphone.
    For free society!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

Mashika (8th January 2022), Vicus (8th January 2022)

25. Link to Post #13
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Malisa (here)
    One of the issues i should probably have described better is this

I usually use my phone as a modem, to share the internet connection, i don't have wifi around most of the time and instead use a data plan, so when i connect the laptop to internet is using the phone as the modem

This is why i want to have an "always enabled" proxy on the phone so that every connection goes through there. Like when using Twitter/Telegram etc apps on the phone, but also allowing the laptop to go through the proxy/vpn. Only using Tor on the browser seems problematic, and i was unable to setup a full time connection through tor on the phone that would also handle connections sent from the laptop through the shared hotspot

Tor in Russia has several issues

https://blog.torproject.org/tor-censorship-in-russia/
    Quote Responding to Tor censorship in Russia
    by ggus | December 7, 2021
    Chances are, the ISP or mobil company may report you as using Tor, they may not know what you are doing, but they know you are using it, and then they will add you to a list somewhere that the government will see, and then they know who is the owner of the data plan anyways so "they know" you are doing something "shady"

I felt more safe when i was using my Mexico's friend VPN, since he would not log any data or packets sent through, unlike other VPN services including Russian ones. Unfortunately it did not work well at all and it became so frustrating i had to stop using it yesterday, i believe it was around 65% slow/failure loading and just around 35% full speed/sites working, just impossible and terribly frustrating

It also doesn't help i'm on a very remote location and mobile sign is bad, so internet is always slow by default, add a server in the middle that is also slow and then imagine.... lol

Don't know what i will use but Tor seems to be out of reach for me for now

Thanks for all the recommendations, i will have to go through some of them now, i have heard of NordVPN but i don't know yet, will have to look more into it

CyberGhost looks like it could be a good option, with the Android client, but i'll have to see if they support sharing the connection with a laptop and directing all traffic through it. In the past i thought i had found a good one that did it correctly, then i found that after a while it was dropping the laptop connection and Chrome was going to internet directly, exposing my true location and connection :/

This, in the end, is a giant mess, there is no privacy for real around here, and as usual "the roads are closing" more and more every other week

2 years ago I reed an interview whit some official " secret police" in RT ( I don't have any link )

This officer explain they can hack everything but Tor...not yet. they work on it ...

that is very good explain in the Tor page...it means they cant hack tor yet...

USA hat problems whit "Telegram"...

Maybe this can be useful for somebody...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiNsca8mdls
    Last edited by Vicus; 8th January 2022 at 16:40.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

leavesoftrees (10th January 2022), Mashika (8th January 2022)

27. Link to Post #14
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

I have a VPN a called Privacy Pro but I couldn’t tell you if it works for privacy or not I use it to block ads on my iPad. ( for a chrome browser)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Islander12 For This Post:

Mashika (8th January 2022)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

The question of do or don't trust a VPN is pretty easy to resolve: don't.

First, just for context, please note that anonymity, privacy and secrecy are all different things and the differences are IMPORTANT. In communications, anonymity in particular is virtually impossible to achieve for any length of time, and even for a short time, very good quality privacy and secrecy are necessary. Of these, literally speaking, only secrecy requires trust. (Trusting the technology, and trusting the intermediaries and endpoints of any communication).

The main role of a VPN is to move the goal posts away from needing to trust the ISP (whether that be your ISP or your phone's data service). A technically complete solution will ensure that all of your traffic will be sent through the VPN "tunnel" with relatively strong levels of privacy and will emerge onto the public internet for all to see on the gateway that the VPN provider is using. With this in place you have changed the person you need to trust from your ISP/ data provider, to your VPN provider. The degree of "trust" will be dictated by many things, including which legal jurisdiction they are subject to.

What this is good for:

1) Evading local jurisdictions that mandate ISP spying

2) Preserving the privacy related to how you use the internet from your data provider's view (except in respect of the fact that you are using a VPN)

3) Changing your apparent Geo-location on the internet. (I am in Australia, but my data is coming to you via a server in Singapore, operated by a company under Malaysian jurisdiction)

Avoid "free" as in free of cost. VPN providers need to make money. They don't work for free and anything on the internet that is free, makes you the product and they dont have to abide any terms or conditions. Free, as in no fee, implies there is no contract governing the service, and contracts are the basics of how you make your way in an Illuminati controlled world.

In themselves, VPN's do not really do much to help with your anonymity, if you want that, you have a lot of work to do and you need to give up a lot of things on the internet. TOR has been mentioned above. TOR is a great system for disguising your traffic and location, but many of the "exit nodes", that is, the last step of the journey before the data leaves the TOR network on its way to the final destination, are owned by people that will compromise and track you without a second thought. This is also true of many VPN providers. The exception to that is the dark web, where the web servers are only listening on onion addresses. For these you have to trust the dark-web server. Don't do that either, because they are pretty much all owned by your adversaries.

If you are in the business of dealing with secret information, and your adversary is the Illuminati or a nation state (same thing ), and you need to read how to do it safely in an internet post, then you should probably just stop right now. If you still want to start on that journey then look into a system based on tails.

Recommended links:

https://tails.boum.org
    https://www.eff.org/issues/privacy
    Last edited by Anchor; 9th January 2022 at 21:04.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Ewan (9th January 2022), leavesoftrees (10th January 2022), Mashika (9th January 2022), Vicus (9th January 2022)

+ Reply to Thread