1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Default The Idiot

--
    Drama by Ivan Pyryev "The Idiot". Based on the novel of the same name by F.M.Dostoevsky.

The film is based on the first part of the novel Nastasya Filippovna. 26-year-old Prince Lev Nikolaevich Myshkin returns from a sanatorium in Switzerland, where he spent several years, to Russia. He arrives at the house of the Yepanchins' relatives and meets an amazing woman, Nastasya Filippovna. The prince falls in love with her from the very first second, but this stunning beauty of a woman has such a complicated life ... She is the mistress of one landowner, they want to marry her to another, and a third loves her
    --

I did not know this movie was made, it's from 1958, i only read the book once very long ago so i don't even remember all the details of the story anymore, but i did like the movie a lot, unfortunately as said above in the summary, there is only a partial film :/

Enable subtitles, those are not auto translate, and are well written

Tired

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

9ideon (23rd January 2022), Bill Ryan (23rd January 2022), Bluegreen (24th January 2022), Brigantia (23rd January 2022), cursichella1 (26th January 2022), ExomatrixTV (23rd January 2022), Franny (24th January 2022), gini (23rd January 2022), Hym (23rd January 2022), Innocent Warrior (24th January 2022), Ioneo (23rd January 2022), JackMcThorn (23rd January 2022), Johnnycomelately (24th January 2022), Mare (23rd January 2022), Matthew (24th January 2022), Rosemarie (25th January 2022), Spiral (23rd January 2022), Sunny-side-up (23rd January 2022), Victoria (23rd January 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,989 times in 1,749 posts

Default Re: The Idiot

I recall the novel (The Idiot) being in a personal library of an old friend of mine, he is one of those kinds of people who makes a big show of having read the 'Classics' and to place them in a conspicuous location so that you form an impression that he is an 'intellectual' and connoisseur of literary works - come to think of it I lost touch with the friend, I wonder why...
    I enjoy reading Pasternak, but Dostoevsky is heavy going unless you are in the precise mood, so much complexity of character and extravagant observation.
    Of course it is the title which catches our attention, it is meant semi ironically from memory, pointing out how callous and shallow people can be in their assessments of others- but I might have that wrong also(!) Is it good?
    Last edited by Mike Gorman; 23rd January 2022 at 09:14.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd January 2022), Bluegreen (24th January 2022), Franny (24th January 2022), gini (23rd January 2022), Hym (23rd January 2022), Innocent Warrior (24th January 2022), Mashika (23rd January 2022), Sunny-side-up (23rd January 2022), Victoria (23rd January 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

I don't read many books but I've read The Idiot, it's a very clever & unusual book, I can't imagine a westerner having written it, much like no westerner could have made the films Tarkovsky made.

I hope to find the time to watch this, thanks.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd January 2022), Bluegreen (24th January 2022), ExomatrixTV (23rd January 2022), Franny (24th January 2022), Hym (23rd January 2022), Mashika (23rd January 2022), Victoria (23rd January 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike Gorman (here)
    I recall the novel (The Idiot) being in a personal library of an old friend of mine, he is one of those kinds of people who makes a big show of having read the 'Classics' and to place them in a conspicuous location so that you form an impression that he is an 'intellectual' and connoisseur of literary works - come to think of it I lost touch with the friend, I wonder why...
    I have friends like that too, but mostly their parents are/were like that, and they kind of 'inherited' the behavior. It's not truly nice or even proper/correct to do that, it just shows something is missing instead

Quote I enjoy reading Pasternak but Dostoevsky is heavy going unless you are in the precise mood, so much complexity of character and extravagant observation.
    Of course it is the title which catches our attention, it is meant semi ironically from memory, pointing out how callous and shallow people can be in their assessments of others- but I might have that wrong also(!) Is it good?
    This is probably the most accurate way to express how i felt back then when i had to read the book, so much that i don't remember a lot of it by now. I did not want to read it, but i had to. I also hate the power/money games and that way of living as depicted, it's horrendous, empty and other things i rather not say

At the same time i hated that Myshkin is like a small kid, all naive and such, but maybe as the reader i kind of saw myself in several ways. And i hated that way of acting or being all innocent and dumb at times

This movie is nice to watch, it kind of flows easy, has good acting and it feels natural, i did like it much

I don't think i'll be reading the full book again anytime soon

ETA: But if i had to choose, i would read The Idiot again, if the other only choice was Crime and Punishment
    Last edited by Mashika; 23rd January 2022 at 10:06.
    Tired

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd January 2022), ExomatrixTV (23rd January 2022), Franny (24th January 2022), gini (23rd January 2022), Hym (23rd January 2022), Spiral (23rd January 2022), Sue (Ayt) (23rd January 2022), Victoria (23rd January 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,169 times in 10,102 posts

Dostoevsky is like a seven course meal; you're either ready for it, or you're not.

I stumble into town
    Just like a sacred cow
    Visions of swastikas in my head
    Plans for everyone
    It's in the whites of my eyes

My little China girl
    You shouldn't mess with me
    I'll ruin everything you are
    I'll give you television
    I'll give you eyes of blue
    I'll give you a man who wants to rule the world

And when I get excited
    She says, "Shh."
    She says, "Shh."
    She says
    She says

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th January 2022), cursichella1 (26th January 2022), Franny (24th January 2022), Mashika (24th January 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bluegreen (here)
    Dostoevsky is like a seven course meal; you're either ready for it, or you're not.

I stumble into town
    Just like a sacred cow
    Visions of swastikas in my head
    Plans for everyone
    It's in the whites of my eyes

My little China girl
    You shouldn't mess with me
    I'll ruin everything you are
    I'll give you television
    I'll give you eyes of blue
    I'll give you a man who wants to rule the world

And when I get excited
    She says, "Shh."
    She says, "Shh."
    She says
    She says
    Dostoevsky books should be for teenagers at around 16/17 or so. I just don't see why we are forced to read it at 12/13, when you don't even have a true context of how things like marriage for money and plenty other things like that work. It's just confusing, we don't have context to understand why some things are happening the way they are. It just sounds ridiculous to read that someone is offering more money than some other guy for the girl. But once 17 or so you understand better all those aspects and how life was back then.

Historical context is important and i don't remember we got much of it when reading the book, it was just something to read and then it turned confusing and, as i remember back them, "a waste of time" because i could not relate to anything that was happening at all. So it kind of did the opposite of what was intended, it pushed me away from anything Dostoevsky at the time.

Having to read Crime and Punishment was a punishment on its own
    Tired

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th January 2022), Le Chat (24th January 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

Quote Posted by Malisa (here)
    Having to read Crime and Punishment was a punishment on its own
    That's a book that I've wanted to read for a long time, but never have gotten around to do it. It's still waiting on my bookshelf!

From what I've read different quotes and "thoughts" from Dostoevsky I could tell that he had a big heart and lots of compassion.

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th January 2022), Mashika (25th January 2022)

+ Reply to Thread