+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beijing Olympic Games - watch or not?

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 times in 571 posts

Default Beijing Olympic Games - watch or not?

In the past I've always enjoyed watching the winter games. Especially the skiing, ice hockey and bob sleighing- I really find curling tournament quite fascinating 'chess played on ice' ...

Given what's happening in the world I'm torn whether to watch this years event.

The Uyghurs, genocide, human rights and COVID-19 to name a few reasons as to why not to watch.

How do you all feel about this upcoming event? Will you watch it or avoid it?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mizo For This Post:

avid (1st February 2022), ExomatrixTV (1st February 2022), Ioneo (1st February 2022), Mari (1st February 2022), onawah (2nd February 2022), palehorse (3rd February 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,716 times in 2,660 posts

Default Re: Beijing Olympic Games - watch or not?

Especially on fake snow, not feasible for a winter olympics
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Ioneo (1st February 2022), mizo (1st February 2022), onawah (2nd February 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by avid (here)
    Wow! I was not aware of that!

Found this article: in order to keep conditions up to Olympic competition standard in Beijing, they will use 49m gallons (222m litres) of water which is chemically treated and frozen, before putting it in 130 snow-making machines, which themselves need huge amounts of energy to be run. And it's not just the fan-driven snow generators; eight water cooling towers are required, around 300 snowmaking guns, fed by three pumping stations at different altitudes, all in one of the world's most water-scarce cities.

But it doesn't end there. Chemical and biological additives can be mixed in to improve snow quality, salt and fertilizer too (so-called 'snow hardeners') for cross-country trails in particular, and that chemical composition can decrease biodiversity and disrupt vegetation. Suddenly the picture is far from perfect, and for the athletes, it can be a genuine concern.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mizo For This Post:

avid (1st February 2022), Ioneo (1st February 2022), onawah (2nd February 2022), onevoice (2nd February 2022), ZenBaller (2nd February 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,379 times in 5,725 posts

Quote Posted by mizo (here)
    Quote Posted by avid (here)
    Wow! I was not aware of that!

Found this article: in order to keep conditions up to Olympic competition standard in Beijing, they will use 49m gallons (222m litres) of water which is chemically treated and frozen, before putting it in 130 snow-making machines, which themselves need huge amounts of energy to be run. And it's not just the fan-driven snow generators; eight water cooling towers are required, around 300 snowmaking guns, fed by three pumping stations at different altitudes, all in one of the world's most water-scarce cities.

But it doesn't end there. Chemical and biological additives can be mixed in to improve snow quality, salt and fertilizer too (so-called 'snow hardeners') for cross-country trails in particular, and that chemical composition can decrease biodiversity and disrupt vegetation. Suddenly the picture is far from perfect, and for the athletes, it can be a genuine concern.
    That is absolutely disgusting and dangerous to the environment and to people.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

avid (1st February 2022), mizo (1st February 2022), onawah (2nd February 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,716 times in 2,660 posts

What a fiasco - fake chemical snow, with after-effects? Who placed this daft scenario in this illogical place????
    Who chose this venue, who profits ???
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

mizo (1st February 2022), onawah (2nd February 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,466 times in 572 posts

I would say China would not care if you do not watch the Olympics. You'll be missing out on some fierce competition. What I wouldn't do is 'pay' to watch it. I do not have tele where I am; so if I see a little Olympics online, I will appreciate the competitors and the spirit of the games.
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

mizo (1st February 2022), onawah (2nd February 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,522 times in 20,692 posts

Press coverage of the games is not likely to be good thanks to the CCP, and holding the 2022 Olympics in China in the first place was a terrible idea.

]Media Freedom in China Declining at ‘Breakneck Speed’
    Dorothy Li
    Jan 31, 2022
    https://www.ntd.com/media-freedom-in...ign=2021-10-20

"Foreign journalists face “unprecedented hurdles” covering China as the communist regime has stepped up intimidation, harassment, and lawsuits against them, a reporters group said in a new report.

The vast majority, 99 percent, of foreign correspondents surveyed by the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China (FCCC) said the reporting conditions in China didn’t meet international standards. The group warned the media media freedom in the country is declining at “breakneed speed.”

“The Chinese state continues to find new ways to intimidate foreign correspondents, their Chinese colleagues, and those whom the foreign press seeks to interview, via online trolling, physical assaults, cyber hacking, and visa denials,” the FCCC wrote in the report released on Jan. 31.

The group said that 127 of its 192 members responded to this year’s survey.

The Chinese regime appears to be “encouraging” lawsuits or the threat of legal action against foreign journalists, often filed by sources long after they had agreed to be interviewed.

“The FCCC highlights this development with alarm, as foreigners involved in civil or criminal lawsuits and court proceedings in China can be banned from leaving the country, based on past precedent,” the report stated.A BBC reporter was forced to leave Beijing with his family last March following online trolling and threats of legal action issued by the communist regime after his investigative coverage of the regime’s rights abuses Xinjiang, the pandemic, and other issues deemed sensitive by the Chinese Communist Party.

Fan Haze, a Chinese national working at Bloomberg’s Beijing bureau, has been detained since December 2020. She was taken away by plainclothes police from her home in Beijing on suspicion of allegedly endangering national security.

The heightened state-backed intimidation efforts has resulted in a handful of correspondents leaving mainland China and many news outlets developing emergency exit plans. “Covering China is increasingly becoming an exercise in remote reporting,” the report noted.

Security guards stand inside a fenced area next to the Main Media Center at Olympic Park in Beijing on January 19, 2022. (Kevin Frayer/Getty Images)

The findings comes just days before the opening ceremony of the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics, an event that is already under scrutiny due to the Chinese Communist Party’s human rights violations in Xinjiang, Tibet, and Hong Kong.

As the regime is gearing up for the Games, the Beijing-based group noted that press freedom is deteriorating, as the Chinese Communist Party wants to “ensure political stability” at the event, meaning fewer opportunities for foreign journalists to cover the event.

Ninety percent of foreign correspondents surveyed by the FCCC said they would not enter the Olympic bubble—a quarantine area where athletes and workers for the Games are segregated from the rest of Beijing—to ensure mobility and the ability to report.

According to the FCCC the regime has “frequently” used pandemic control measures as a purported reason to obstruct reporting trips and delay issuing new journalists visas.

The group also spotlighted Beijing’s campaign of “visa harassment,” saying the regime’s delay in issuing new visas and refusal to renew journalists’ press cards has caused critical staffing shortages at media outlets. The visa restrictions imposed by the regime escalated in 2020 after Beijing expelled several foreign journalists from the country and the Trump administration designated a group of Chinese state-run media outlets’ U.S. operations as “foreign missions.”

In November, the Biden administration reached a deal with Beijing to ease visa restrictions on both countries’ journalists. However, as of the end of 2021, China had yet to grant visas to the handful of U.S. journalists promised under the agreement, according to the report.

“Coverage of China is suffering,” the FCCC said."

From The Epoch Times

Also posted here:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1479917
    Each breath a gift...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

avid (3rd February 2022), mizo (2nd February 2022), palehorse (3rd February 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Greece Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,019 times in 284 posts

A terrible dictatorship is hosting Winter Olympics on fake snow for athletes on steroids to sportswash its crimes. It can't get any worse than that.

I love sports and I would watch it 10+ years ago. But now it would be like betraying my own self.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZenBaller For This Post:

mizo (2nd February 2022), mountain_jim (3rd February 2022), onawah (2nd February 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    Mandarin
    Thanks

I love reading comments with double standard.

People care much more about their thought than the truth.
    what I want or what I am.

18. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,540 times in 1,587 posts

I do love sports, but I love to practice it and not watch. Maybe I will pass again, but maybe just maybe I will take a look at Equestrian, Karate and Surfing modalities, maybe watch the highlights only
    I watch purely for the performance of the athletes, it is interesting to see people breaking limits and some getting nabbed for DOPE!
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

19. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

They're 91 nations participating in Beijing, with 2,871 athletes (1,581 men and 1,290 women) participating in the events.
    I would assume the vast majority (or all) of these athletes are fully vaccinated...

Sincerely hope that none of them make it to this forum thread!

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...-Sports-People

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mizo For This Post:

Mari (3rd February 2022)

21. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,522 times in 20,692 posts

It will be interesting (and tragic!) to see if any of those vaxxed athletes die while competing, as so many have been lately.
    And very ironic if that happens in China, where the whole plandemic began.
    Though no doubt the CCP will do their best to see that the news is hidden if that does happen, or at least, any hints as to the cause.
    Each breath a gift...

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

avid (3rd February 2022), Mari (3rd February 2022), mizo (2nd February 2022), mountain_jim (3rd February 2022), palehorse (3rd February 2022)

23. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,540 times in 1,587 posts

Quote Posted by mizo (here)
    They're 91 nations participating in Beijing, with 2,871 athletes (1,581 men and 1,290 women) participating in the events.
    I would assume the vast majority (or all) of these athletes are fully vaccinated...

Sincerely hope that none of them make it to this forum thread!

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...-Sports-People
    not all of them.
    but the ones who took it, let's count how many will drop dead, it would be a good way for those that still believe in their masters to see what these vaxx are doing.
    p.s. I don't mean in any way I want see people dying, that's horrible for sure, I just meant if that happens, then it would probably show those that still believe in all these lies.. to carefully reconsider their opinions. Hopefully it will all be okay.
    Last edited by palehorse; 3rd February 2022 at 03:26.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

mizo (3rd February 2022)

+ Reply to Thread