+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Carnivore diet to fix auto immune issues

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,520 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: Carnivore diet to fix auto immune issues

Quote Posted by Le Chat (here)
    I've had a plant-based diet for over 35 years, walk 10 miles a day as well as cycle 10 miles a day. And I'm 70 next year.

I have serious doubts of anyone who claims they need to eat meat.
    Just a comment here, based on what I think I know. (But I also know I absolutely don't know everything abut this!)

Optimum diet does seem to vary considerably from person to person.
    (And this might have to do with blood type, in itself not a simple subject.)

I've met vegans who are totally healthy and highly energetic (like yourself! ), and others who are pale, weak and sickly and clearly have a nutritional imbalance — though they're stuck on their diet more as a belief or value-based system than anything else at all.

And the same with carnivores... some people can't do it (and/or don't want to, which is fully respected), but others genuinely cure themselves of all kinds of things with an all- or high-meat diet. That's absolutely a real thing... but maybe not for everyone.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (17th February 2022), AriG (18th February 2022), Chris Gilbert (18th February 2022), ClearWater (17th February 2022), CurEus (19th February 2022), gini (18th February 2022), gord (17th February 2022), I am B (17th February 2022), meat suit (19th February 2022), palehorse (18th February 2022), RunningDeer (18th February 2022), Spiral (17th February 2022), The KMan (17th February 2022), Violet3 (19th February 2022), Yoda (17th February 2022)

3. Link to Post #22
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    I've had a plant-based diet for over 35 years, walk 10 miles a day as well as cycle 10 miles a day. And I'm 70 next year.

Just a comment here, based on what I think I know. (But I also know I absolutely don't know everything abut this!)

I've met vegans who are totally healthy and highly energetic (like yourself! ), and others who are pale, weak and sickly and clearly have a nutritional imbalance — though they're stuck on their diet more as a belief or value-based system than anything else at all.

And the same with carnivores... some people can't do it (and/or don't want to, which is fully respected), but others genuinely cure themselves of all kinds of things with an all- or high-meat diet. That's absolutely a real thing... but maybe not for everyone.

This is absolutely true, I've tried being vegetarian (and yes with all the fancy expensive stuff from whole food shops not just stopping eating meat) and I got weaker & weaker, and intestinal problems.

I look Norwegian, which seems like a probable reason to me, meat & fish is more abundant, & fruit & veg harder to grow the further north you go.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

AriG (18th February 2022), avid (17th February 2022), Bill Ryan (17th February 2022), ClearWater (17th February 2022), gini (18th February 2022), gord (17th February 2022), I am B (17th February 2022), RunningDeer (18th February 2022), The KMan (17th February 2022)

5. Link to Post #23
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

I inherited Gastroparesis - delayed gastric emptying. No matter how many times I've tried vegan I can't stomach it. Within minutes fermentation makes me look 9 months pregnant, especially with fruit. Meat diet is better suited, I'm afraid.

Always tricky on first dinner dates. By the time ya leave, bloke is looking at ya thinking, bloody hell, where'd that come from... we haven't even had sex yet.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th February 2022), CurEus (22nd February 2022), gini (18th February 2022), I am B (18th February 2022), RunningDeer (18th February 2022)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Agreed 100%. I believe it all comes down to genetic makeup. The book Dirty Genes is a great read and covers this.

It's why some people can handle gluten and some go to the hospital if they have a peanut butter sandwich. And some find themselves living in peak physical shape with a pescatarian diet whereas another's throat will swell if they eat a bite of salmon.

I think people should find what works best for their body first, then consider morals from there. If you become sick you can't help anybody or anything in this world. The more fit you are mentally and physically the better you can help the world and people around you.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th February 2022), Chris Gilbert (18th February 2022), gini (18th February 2022), I am B (18th February 2022), The KMan (18th February 2022)

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

That's a trick one..

I know this person since my childhood, she was our doctor in the family (the one that can be trusted), today she is 83 years old and she plays tennis and swim regularly, she is in great shape for her age, she always told my family and me to eat alkaline food at full time, actually she was always giving talks about it, I would say she is almost a preacher about this issue. It has nothing to do with been a vegan, vegetarian or whatever terms they give for that.

Most meats are acidic, some very acidic others slightly acidic, it is all about balance to not pend to one side of the spectrum but keep it in neutral (middle path) would be ideal to keep all the time in my guess (I am not an expert in nutrition, but that is what I am doing for quite sometime now and I feel much better).

The thing is, I eat acidic food like meats and I eat neutral food like fats (including some dairies - and some diaries are acidic as well (trick)) and I eat lots of alkaline food like veggies, greens, fruits and I can tell you, I have a very descent health, I have nothing to complain about it, do 2 to 3 hours of exercises per day, sometime more than that.

Keep the balance is the golden rule for everything, do not stop eating your meats (I didn't), but eat more fruits, veggies, greens, etc.. (the organic ones not the GMO crap) It won't harm you and will give an amazing balance.

As Bill mentioned, blood type does play a rule on it, if anyone is serious enough about it, a full blood test would be required to create a "perfect" diet based on your blood type, but in general lines Alkaline food won't kill/harm anyone.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th February 2022), ClearWater (18th February 2022), gini (18th February 2022), The KMan (18th February 2022)

11. Link to Post #26
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 times in 1,031 posts

I actually have an autoimmune condition - Hashimoto's and borderline lupus. Completely inherited from my mother. It got so bad that I suffered a bout of Hashimoto's Encephalopathy a few years back.

I am also a "foodie" - love to cook and explore new things. This has been greatly affected by my situation. Prior to marrying my current husband, I was a pescetarian and ate only shellfish and fish, veg, etc. Very rarely ate bread or dairy. This was an ethical choice for me at the time. Enter new relationship, a proper English Meat and potatoes (and bread) guy, add sugar, probably way too much wine, tons of fresh baked bread, proper British puddings, a couple of hormone changing miscarriages and perimenopause and the death of my brother in law which was traumatic in nature, and voila! My autoimmune genes are triggered. I am of Scotch-Irish descent (and a bit of German) with A negative blood type.

What I have learned:

1. Inflammation is the trigger in most autoimmune genes being activated.
    2. Experts will claim that everything but alkaline water is inflammatory.
    3. Balance is critical- supplementation is necessary.
    4. Gluten is your ENEMY. Absolutely. Especially with hypothyroid autoimmunity. Through the process of molecular mimicry, the immune system cannot tell the difference between gluten and the thyroid,
    so when gluten is consumed, your immune system creates a celiac like response in the gut. I do miss bread and just today, tried the Keto Protein egg bread recipe. YUCK. Like eggy tasting memory
    foam. But there is no baguette in the world worth the damage that gluten causes to one's overall health.
    5. Grass fed beef, fish, shellfish, lean pork and egg yolks are fantastic as a base to the diet. However, imo, in the long haul (beyond elimination diets), one needs fruit and vegetables to ensure that you are
    getting all of the micronutrients that the body requires.

When I finally decided that I had to give up gluten, I weighed 158 pounds. Today I weigh 132 pounds. Just by giving up gluten. The weight gain was mostly inflammation.

Eating animals is truly a moral dilemma, especially for those of us who are aware. That said, our bodies require high quality protein. And you cannot have your adventure here without your body.
    “The World is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don’t do anything about it.”
    Albert Einstein

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th February 2022), ClearWater (18th February 2022), CurEus (19th February 2022), gini (19th February 2022), palehorse (19th February 2022), Tracie (Bodhicee) (19th February 2022)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,014 times in 784 posts

I tend to share your observations. I know people who essentially thrive living like hummingbirds...which would very likely kill me, yet they seem, even through through testing, to be in the peak of health. What I do find disturbing is the "cult-like" mentality of "adherents" to dietary extremisms. What once was "novel" becomes cult-like and dogmatic...

I function best at about 90% ruminant-carnivore, it alleviates autoimmune issues as well as acne, bloating, and a host of other issues that I could not resolve in any other way BUT if I were to become seriously ill I would consider a juice fast or even a complete fast for a time.

At it's core the carnivore diet is an extreme elimination diet which in and of itself removes virtually all processed and refined foods, additives and adulterants. THAT alone would very likely produce great benefits to anyone consuming the SAD ( Standard American Diet) and I tend to expect that may hold true for someone doing the same with a select vegan diet...

The blood-type diet was popularized by the book "Eat Right for Your Blood Type" and not very well received from the medical or nutritional communities but many people found it resonated well and produced very good results.

We do know that many of us "can" eat exclusively carnivore for extended periods of time and one concern like scurvy seems to be a "non issue" as Vit C needs drop precipitously in this WoE ) Way of Eating) so the premise that humans don;t produce vit C becuase we had an abundance of fruit may be better stated that we didn't eat any and just gorged on meat and fats and organs.

As a caveat I do know several vegans that became extremely ill and malnourished, they lost mental focus and clarity which reinforced their adherence to the "cult of veganism"....I say this because it is well known that cult indoctrination begins by removing meat protein reinforced with an incessant bombardment of programming.

I do note though, that as people age many lose interest in large amounts of red meat, especially women.

Many of us can observe the odd push for the elimination of meat with a huge global campaign to switch to vegan meatless options or suspect protein from insects. Becuase "carbon" "climate change" "cow farts" "water" ......very slick, compelling and well designed. THAT makes it highly suspect and doubly so as Bill Gates has bought so many farms he is the largest "farmer" in N. America. AND the largest investor in "pseudo" lab meat companies...

The rise in popularity of a food replacement called " Soylent" intrigued me, the ingredients floored me. It is literally toxic to humans!

In a nutshell humans can eat almost "anything" ( for a time) we're more like opportunistic scavengers more akin to rats than apex predators like lions BUT when we get together we will tend to hunt we consume as much meat and fish as possible AND as many sugars as we can find. Honey is not easy to acquire and neither are fruits and berries without risk in acquiring them. and almost ALL mammals like fermented fruit alcohols.....and every culture has it's alcohol and fav carbs be it breads or tubers...

There does not seem to me to be a one size fits all approach to diet and nutrition and I find it disheartening when people become intractable in their position of what is "best" or "most ethical" but vegans seem to be their own worst enemy at times...their over proselytizing has turned off so many people they are now being vilified.

Yet there may be an unintended compromise, there is a rise in an infection that makes it impossible for people to eat meat without becoming extremely ill. galactose-alpha-1, 3-galactose. is from the Lone Star tick and produce a meat allergy.....now who came up with THAT!?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th February 2022), gini (19th February 2022), palehorse (19th February 2022)

15. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Member bettye198's Avatar
    Fairfield Glade, Tennessee in the Catoosa Mts
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 times in 571 posts

It has always been my understanding that high protein diets i.e. meat tax the kidneys. If one indulges in paleo, hopefully kidneys are being monitored and supported. There is also a timing I have discovered when meat no longer is craved or tasty anymore and that is the body asking for plant based. I have tried Dr. Morse's fruit only diet regime and got a whopping 6 lbs off and starved for substantial food. However, I see his point. Fruit is processed easily and does not need insulin to get into the cell. There are a lot of reasons to clear the body of toxins with fruit and veggies especially greens. Now we have vegan mama's and papa's giving fabulous vegan meals on youtube that seem filling. Maybe we should classify some of us as part vegan, part fruitarian, part carnivore. As we age we have to discern intuitively what is right for our body. I have seen blood type O's handle all types of meat better than blood type B's. It is something interesting for sure.
    When you realize where you come from, you naturally become tolerant, disinterested, amused, kindhearted as a grandparent, dignified as a king. -- I Ching

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bettye198 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th February 2022), gini (19th February 2022), palehorse (19th February 2022)

17. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,212 times in 1,146 posts

Quote Posted by I am B (here)
    Quote Posted by Malisa (here)
    Quote Posted by I am B (here)
    Overall I also feel way way warmer, most of friends and family wonder and joke about why I am never cold but I truly feel it way less than I did.
    Hmmmm, check your blood sugar levels every now and then, Feeling warm like that should not be related to what you eat day by day?

I have diabetes, the childhood kind, when i eat or drink things and feel very warm or feel like an urgent need to get cold air or so, then i know i may have to go take a pill or do something about it, because for me that's a sign i am high on blood sugar. And that's no good

But i'm just saying :S
    Thanks! Appreciate. I got told the same before ^^ but naye, i got the finger piercing testing thingie and sugar is on point, same with cholesterol. Only thing that increased a bit is blood pressure, but I'm super anxious lately because of life, so its probably that.

I'd like to crrect that Its not like I feel directly warmer, Its more about being less bothered by the cold. More resilient. When I was in Russia this winter It was so easy to see how it was related to food. (and good food, specially)
    For years I had to wear two pairs of socks from Autumn onwards, was rarely without a pair of gloves and would even wear socks to bed. When I changed my diet and strictly removed gluten many things changed for the better in my health. One of them which took me a little time to notice was that I was no longer doubling up on socks or reaching for gloves. It took me a little time to tie it back to the diet change, but by then I was a lot more aware of just how fundamental the connection is between what we eat and how we feel because the crippling depression I'd experienced had also lifted once my immune system was no longer attacking itself via the gluten reaction.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Journeyman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th February 2022), I am B (20th February 2022), palehorse (19th February 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2