Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Inventions and Technology

1. Link to Post #21
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,223 times in 2,093 posts

Default Re: New Inventions and Technology

Quote Posted by nzn (here)
    That's y so many ppl come to Perú to get their teeth fixed, it's super cheap compared to other countries. a recommendation if any one of you wants to do some tourism+ at the same time getting ur teeth fixed.although, right now my country is fuvked up and not a good moment to visit(we are in the middle of a possible Civil War going off). But after all that **** is over, 10/10 recommended
    If you feel confident to fly.

Otherwise, it could be quite a long drive for some!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th July 2023), ExomatrixTV (26th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (23rd January 2023), Miller (15th July 2023), Reinhard (19th January 2023), rgray222 (20th January 2023)

3. Link to Post #22
    Aaland Avalon Member Blastolabs's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,352 times in 432 posts

Garret Model a scientist at the University of Colorado has developing a functioning "free energy"/ zero point energy technology that uses nanotechnology.

I was told personally by another scientist that this technology will be released to the GENERAL PUBLIC in 2023. While it is exciting, it is only currently useful for small scale energy generation. Imagine a coin cell battery that you never need to change or charge.

The future is going to be bright

Casimir-cavity-induced conductance changes,” G. Moddel, A. Weerakkody, D. Doroski, D. Bartusiak, Physical Review Research, 3, L022007 (2021); DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevResearch.3.L022007.

Optical-Cavity-Induced Current." G. Moddel, A. Weerakkody, D. Doroski and D. Bartusiak, Symmetry, 13(3), 517; doi.org/10.3390/sym13030517 (2021).

“Extraction of Zero-Point Energy from the Vacuum: Assessment of Stochastic Electrodynamics-Based Approach as Compared to Other Methods
    ,” Garret Moddel and Olga Dmitriyeva, Atoms, 7 (51), 18 pages, (2019); DOI:10.3390/atoms7020051.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Blastolabs For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th July 2023), ExomatrixTV (26th January 2023), Icare (15th July 2023), Johnnycomelately (23rd January 2023), Michi (22nd January 2023), Miller (15th July 2023), Pam (20th January 2023), Reinhard (29th July 2023), rgray222 (20th January 2023), Vangelo (20th January 2023)

5. Link to Post #23
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 times in 981 posts

Quote Posted by Patient (here)

If you feel confident to fly.

Otherwise, it could be quite a long drive for some!
    Reminds of a long dormant wish. “Attention passengers, is there a pilot on board?” ~8D

Four decades since I piloted, and then only a 2-seater, but am pretty sure I could navigate and land an airliner — with help via radio, of course, for all the systems and gizmos.

Now I’m thinking about destinations. Hey nzn, how’s the food in Peru? 😎✈️👻

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th July 2023), bojancan (26th January 2023), ExomatrixTV (26th January 2023), Hym (23rd January 2023), Miller (15th July 2023), Reinhard (29th July 2023), rgray222 (27th February 2023)

7. Link to Post #24
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 times in 981 posts

A genius new use for a common item: chainsaw chain used as a hand saw.

Compact storage for car carry, can cut fairly large logs compared to bulkier normal handsaws. Think of tree-fall/log-fall across roads.

Seems to use standard chain (except for one specialized variant), so a DIY one should be cheaper and readily customized for length (their longer model, 93 cm (36,6 in), costs more).

Base version: Weight: 132 g (4.7 oz)
    Chain length: 65 cm (25.6 in)
    Number of links with cutter teeth: 33
    Cost: $49. (I assume US$, tho not sure because OP is Canadian)

Nordic Pocket Saw - a packable chainsaw

Mark Young
    30.8K subscribers

729 views Jan 25, 2023
    Nordic Pocket Saw - Pocket Chainsaw
    https://nordicpocketsaw.com/en/

“Made in Sweden,
    Long two-person version available,
    ...”

Last edited by Johnnycomelately; 26th January 2023 at 02:58.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th July 2023), ExomatrixTV (26th January 2023), Icare (15th July 2023), Miller (15th July 2023), rgray222 (3rd February 2023)

9. Link to Post #25
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,635 times in 20,811 posts

• 10 Suppressed Inventions:

• The 18 Most Suppressed Inventions Ever:
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th July 2023), Icare (15th July 2023), Johnnycomelately (26th January 2023), Miller (15th July 2023), rgray222 (3rd February 2023)

11. Link to Post #26
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,019 times in 2,189 posts

I am somewhat amazed that this story is not getting more press, afterall all this is about an infinite supply of fresh water.

Seawater split to produce green hydrogen

Researchers have successfully split seawater without pre-treatment to produce green hydrogen.

The international team was led by the University of Adelaide’s Professor Shizhang Qiao and Associate Professor Yao Zheng from the School of Chemical Engineering.

“We have split natural seawater into oxygen and hydrogen with nearly 100 per cent efficiency, to produce green hydrogen by electrolysis, using a non-precious and cheap catalyst in a commercial electrolyser,” said Professor Qiao.

A typical non-precious catalyst is cobalt oxide with chromium oxide on its surface.

“We used seawater as a feedstock without the need for any pre-treatment processes like reverse osmosis desolation, purification, or alkalisation,” said Associate Professor Zheng.

“The performance of a commercial electrolyser with our catalysts running in seawater is close to the performance of platinum/iridium catalysts running in a feedstock of highly purified deionised water.

Quote Our work provides a solution to directly utilise seawater without pre-treatment systems and alkali addition, which shows similar performance as that of existing metal-based mature pure water electrolyser.
    The team published their research in the journal Nature Energy.

“Current electrolysers are operated with highly purified water electrolyte. Increased demand for hydrogen to partially or totally replace energy generated by fossil fuels will significantly increase scarcity of increasingly limited freshwater resources,” said Associate Professor Zheng.

Seawater is an almost infinite resource and is considered a natural feedstock electrolyte. This is more practical for regions with long coastlines and abundant sunlight. However, it isn’t practical for regions where seawater is scarce.

Seawater electrolysis is still in early development compared with pure water electrolysis because of electrode side reactions, and corrosion arising from the complexities of using seawater.

“It is always necessary to treat impure water to a level of water purity for conventional electrolysers including desalination and deionisation, which increases the operation and maintenance cost of the processes,” said Associate Professor Zheng.

“Our work provides a solution to directly utilise seawater without pre-treatment systems and alkali addition, which shows similar performance as that of existing metal-based mature pure water electrolyser.”

The team will work on scaling up the system by using a larger electrolyser so that it can be used in commercial processes such as hydrogen generation for fuel cells and ammonia synthesis.

Source: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/newsroom...green-hydrogen

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th July 2023), Icare (15th July 2023), Johnnycomelately (5th February 2023), Miller (15th July 2023), Orph (3rd February 2023), Vangelo (4th February 2023)

13. Link to Post #27
    Aaland Avalon Member Blastolabs's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,352 times in 432 posts

I'm currently in the final stages of developing a analog synthesizer sequencer and while it isn't anything groundbreaking technology wise, I think explaining the cost and capabilities of the chips I use is relevant here.

One type of "computer" that doesn't get talked about much is the microcontroller. Almost every electronic device that a person interacts with contains one or more microcontrollers meaning your cell phone, car, microwave, "smart" lights etc...

The company ARM used to have a marketing slogan of "You have 8 microcontrollers within ARMS reach right now" this is likely true for half the people reading this, I've got like 20 [mostly in synthesizers] and at least 2 in my phone.

A microcontroller is basically a miniature computer that can send and recieve both analog and digital information.

I'm using a microcontroller in order to read digital data ( 1's and 0's) from a LIDAR (laser distance sensor) that represents the distance from my hand to the device.

The microcontroller then saves these distance readings and plays them back as a sequence by outputting analog voltages.

The microcontroller makes sure these voltages cause analog synthesizer to play in tune notes from a variety of music scales (major, minor, mixolydian etc)

What really blew me away was the fact that the microcontroller I'm using only cost $2.00?!?!

I bought 100 of them for $2.00

It's clock runs at 64 megahertz meaning information [1 and 0's] move through the microcontroller at 64 million times per SECOND?!?!

I sure don't need to do anything that fast, it is kinda hard to wrap your head around writing code that actually runs that fast. I often have a feeling that I need to slow the thing down (so it won't get hurt) This is unnecessary of course. I'm self taught with electronics stuff and for a year or 3 I used to intentionally slow down microcontrollers in code (so it would not get hurt...) wouldn't you have done the same ??!?!!

The LIDAR can only send reading 20,000 times a second, but considering I only need readings at most 960 times a minute[16ths notes at 240bpm] this thing is way more powerful than I need.
    Right now I pay $10 for a LIDAR breakout but I might start making my own which would save a few bucks.

There are lot more nerdy stats about this thing, but I want bore you.

The future is now more or less.

Anyone else here involved in hardware development?

Last edited by Blastolabs; 4th February 2023 at 03:33.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Blastolabs For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th July 2023), CurEus (5th February 2023), Denise/Dizi (4th February 2023), Ernie Nemeth (4th February 2023), Icare (15th July 2023), Johnnycomelately (5th February 2023), Miller (15th July 2023), rgray222 (4th February 2023), Szymon (16th May 2023), Vangelo (4th February 2023)

15. Link to Post #28
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hypersonic plane to travel from New York to London in one hour

The UK Space Agency announced its plan for a "space plane" that will travel between New York and London in one hour, and it's expected to hit the sky by the 2030s. In that case, insanely fast passenger aircraft will fly at Mach 5.4, which means really fast.

On Tuesday, at the UK space conference in Wales, the UK Space Agency CEO revealed that this high tech plane or rocket shuttle would be powered by a hypersonic engine. These speed capabilities will change air travel, capable of traveling five minutes at the speed of sound.

And shockingly enough, the Sabre (Synergetic Air-Breathing Rocket Engine) engine is fitted with a complex cooling system, far beyond what any typical aircraft would carry. The engine isn't terrible for the environment, will reportedly make a hypersonic travel option for commercial passengers. The main thing is to start the engine is like a hybrid of a rocket and an aero-engine fuelled by the combination of Oxygen, hydrogen, so it allows a rocket to breathe air. SABRE is supposedly greener and cheaper than current air travel.

Sabre Advances in Technology and New Trends
    According to the Program Director Shaun Driscoll of Reaction Engines at the conference, heat has been the limiting factor. The pre-coolers are critical in the plane development because it contains liquid helium that can cool engine from more than 10, 000 degree Celsius to room temperature in one-twentieth of a second.

Sabre is intended to provide a lightweight, efficient propulsion system to create a space plane that draws Oxygen into the engine to use for combustion from take off until it reaches just over 4000 mph. Sabre is intended to carry a much lighter and convenient rocket engine because it would carry less fuel oxidant and a 50% faster engine than the supersonic turbojet Concorde.

Design of Supersonic Planes Skies Faster Than Sound
    The Government had already invested 74 million dollars into SABRE. In contrast, the Reaction engine continues to use the space plane's experimental engine until it reaches 25 times the sound's speed to enter space.

However, the company aims to create a reusable vehicle that uses fuel efficiently, like a jet engine with a rocket's power. The hypersonic plane strives to match Rolls-Royce, BAR Systems, and Boeing superfast model to take people or cargo into space and back for just a fraction of the current cost.

Source: https://www.traveller365.com/article...-HEIBRhQl6zMT8

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th July 2023), Icare (15th July 2023), Parsi-X (16th May 2023), Szymon (16th May 2023)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,308 times in 5,717 posts

This was fascinating to me. I have a friend who has a Brown's gas machine.
    Ken Rohla is very clear in his explanations.

Quote Ep 23 - Alternative Energy, Pyramids, Breakaway Civilization, Aliens, and Time Travel with Ken Rohla

Ken Rohla is an Engineer, inventor, and natural health educator. He has been studying alternative forms of energy since the early 1990's. The research he was conducting led him down a fascinating, and sometimes dangerous, road.

Source: https://www.rumble.com/video/v2fj0rz/?pub=mpxgj

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th July 2023), Ewan (15th July 2023), Icare (15th July 2023), Miller (15th July 2023), rgray222 (25th May 2023)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 98,599 times in 9,592 posts

Text:
    “cHiNa cAnNoT iNnOvaTe”

China comes up with the world’s first EV that runs on SODIUM-ion battery!

China now holds all the top patents & the city of Changsha has become the epicentre of research in this field.

Sodium is 1/100th as cheap as Lithium. Plus, this battery doesn’t require Cobalt or Nickel.

Chinese EV giant BYD already has a model (Seagull) that comes with sodium-ion batteries as an option.

CATL will start mass production of these batteries; and China is expected to have 95% of the market share.

It’s the next big thing in EV.

https://twitter.com/Kanthan2030/stat...62591744856066

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (31st May 2023), Bill Ryan (14th July 2023), Icare (15th July 2023), Miller (15th July 2023), Reinhard (29th July 2023), rgray222 (14th July 2023), Vangelo (31st May 2023), Yoda (30th May 2023)

21. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Canada’s New All-Electric Train-Plane Hybrid Travels Faster Than a Jet

In a groundbreaking development that combines the marvels of "veillaince flux" with cutting-edge technology, Canadian startup Transpod has unveiled FluxJet, a revolutionary hybrid train-aircraft concept poised to disrupt the world of transportation. FluxJet offers an ultra high-speed ground transport solution, powered by clean energy, that not only rivals the swiftness of private jets but also provides a more cost-effective alternative to commercial air travel.

Harnessing the power of scientific advancements, FluxJet glides along a secure guideway, benefiting from contactless power transmission and boasting state-of-the-art aerodynamic and propulsion systems that minimize the inhibiting effects of friction. This all-electric vehicle is capable of reaching mind-boggling speeds of up to 1000 km/ph (621 mph), surpassing the velocity of numerous private jets and effortlessly outpacing high-speed trains by a factor of three.

Transpod envisions FluxJet as the centerpiece of its exclusive transport network, aptly named the Transpod line, which will span major cities worldwide. The ultimate objective is to offer frequent departures that facilitate swift, affordable, and secure travel—an experience that remains impervious to the constraints of traffic congestion.

FluxJet, the epitome of emission-free transportation, boasts a remarkable capacity of accommodating 54 passengers and two wheelchairs. Additionally, it features ample luggage racks to stow passenger bags, with the ability to transport up to ten tonnes of cargo per journey.

As part of its progressive expansion, Transpod embarks on the next phase of development—the construction of the Transpod Line, which will connect the Canadian cities of Calgary and Edmonton at a staggering cost of US$18 billion. The preliminary assessments for this ambitious project have already commenced, and once construction is underway, it is projected to generate 140,000 jobs while contributing a substantial US$19.2 billion to the region's GDP.

When the Transpod Line becomes fully operational, it promises to reduce travel costs by an astounding 44 percent in comparison to commercial air travel along the same route. Furthermore, it will spearhead an impressive reduction in carbon emissions, amounting to a remarkable 636,000 tonnes per year. This revolutionary transportation solution offers both sustainability and economic viability as a compelling alternative to short-haul air travel.

Sebastien Gendron, the visionary co-founder and CEO of Transpod, expresses his enthusiasm, stating, "Years of relentless effort have led us to this momentous milestone where dreams become tangible realities. The technology is tested and proven, and with the unwavering support of investors, governments, and partners, we are poised to redefine transportation in an unprecedented manner."

Scheduled for launch in 2035, FluxJet's remarkable speed eclipses that of other high-speed ground transport concepts on the horizon. Notably, it surpasses the recently announced world's fastest bullet train in China, set to connect Shanghai and Beijing in a mere four hours, as well as the highly anticipated Virgin Hyperloop, slated to achieve speeds of 600 miles per hour by 2030.

Prepare to embark on a new era of transportation—a realm where FluxJet seamlessly blends perplexity and burstiness, revolutionizing the way we traverse the globe with unparalleled speed, affordability, and sustainability.

Source: https://www.traveller365.com/article...WHnQn3zIeeyYtA

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th July 2023), Harmony (27th July 2023), Icare (15th July 2023), kfm27917 (14th July 2023), Miller (15th July 2023), Parsi-X (16th July 2023), Reinhard (29th July 2023)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,284 times in 639 posts

"Dark knight rider of the soul"
    as a bullet point for a lecture?

Soory I donn't buy this

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rawhide68 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th July 2023), Harmony (27th July 2023), Reinhard (29th July 2023), rgray222 (27th July 2023)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,949 times in 2,388 posts

This is a very cool engine design that suits anything that needs lightweight factors for optimum performance.

(It's not one-stroke, it is lightweight).

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th July 2023), Harmony (27th July 2023), Icare (15th July 2023), kudzy (16th July 2023), Miller (15th July 2023), Reinhard (29th July 2023), rgray222 (16th July 2023), Vangelo (16th July 2023), Yoda (26th July 2023)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,517 times in 32,788 posts

This isn't an 'invention' (yet), but if this breakthrough if for real it could change everything.
    First Room-Temperature Ambient-Pressure Superconductor Achieved, Claim Scientists

Someone with a lab please try to reproduce these results so we know if we should pop the champagne.

Levitation is only one of the properties of superconducting materials.

South Korean scientists have announced the development of a room-temperature ambient-pressure superconductor. If the claim is verified, this will change the world. Superconductors transmit electricity without resistance and have a series of magnetic properties that make them invaluable in technological applications. Usually, superconductors need to be cooled down to very low temperatures. A superconductor capable of working outside the lab in regular conditions would be revolutionary.

However, the conditional clauses in the first paragraph are necessary. There have been previous claims of room-temperature superconductivity that have not panned out. The researchers uploaded a paper to arXiv, and it is unclear if it was submitted for peer review to a journal. IFLScience has emailed them to learn more about the research and the new material, which is called modified lead-apatite or LK-99.

One crucial aspect of superconductivity is critical temperature, the temperature below which the material becomes superconductive. The value stated for LK-99 is 127°C ( 261°F), meaning it could easily be employed in all environments on Earth. If this is confirmed, it would not be the only room-temperature superconductor. But it would be the first to not require enormous pressures to work.

The team also recorded the critical current in the material, the lack of electrical resistance, the critical magnetic field, as well as the Meissner effect. This is the ability of a superconductor to expel the magnetic field during its transition leading to the capacity to repel nearby magnets, allowing the material to levitate. These properties led the team to claim that LK-99 is indeed a superconductor.

“All evidence and explanation lead that LK-99 is the first room-temperature and ambient-pressure superconductor. The LK-99 has many possibilities for various applications such as magnet, motor, cable, levitation train, power cable, qubit for a quantum computer, THz Antennas, etc. We believe that our new development will be a brand-new historical event that opens a new era for humankind,” the researchers wrote in the paper.

The reason for superconductors' lack of electrical resistance is to be found in the electron’s behavior. When the material achieves superconductivity, its electrons overcome their repulsion and pair up, flowing freely without loss of energy. The team argues that this is happening in LK-99 because of the stress caused by copper atoms on the lead, which is not relieved by the structural uniqueness of the material.

The paper is available at arXiv.

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alecs (26th July 2023), avid (26th July 2023), Ewan (29th July 2023), Gwin Ru (26th July 2023), Harmony (27th July 2023), kudzy (26th July 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (29th July 2023), Miller (29th July 2023), Reinhard (29th July 2023), rgray222 (27th July 2023), Vangelo (27th July 2023), Violet3 (27th July 2023), Yoda (26th July 2023)

29. Link to Post #35
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,492 times in 4,308 posts

An amazing breakthrough if it pans out. The excellent video below explains this new and exciting technology and examines a number of possible applications.
    This new breakthrough coming out of Korea has the potential to be one of the biggest breakthroughs of the CENTURY. A room temperature, ambient pressure Superconductor. So how exactly does it work, is this research legit, and why does it matter? Let's figure this out together!
    Room Temperature Superconductors - This Changes EVERYTHING!
    21m
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Ewan (29th July 2023), Miller (29th July 2023), onawah (29th July 2023), Reinhard (29th July 2023), rgray222 (3rd August 2023), Vangelo (29th July 2023)

31. Link to Post #36
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,635 times in 20,811 posts
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 29th July 2023 at 20:05.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th July 2023), Harmony (30th July 2023), Libico (30th July 2023), Matthew (30th July 2023), rgray222 (3rd August 2023), Sunny-side-up (29th July 2023)

33. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,087 times in 20,639 posts

Comeback for Cold Fusion
    Posted on July 28, 2023
    by AReditorialDept
    nhttps://atlantisrising.com/2023/07/28/lucy-was-a-stand-up-girl-2/

"Major Funding Provided by a US Government Agency

By Rahul Rao, Popular Science
    https://www.popsci.com/science/cold-...lear-reaction/

Earlier this year, ARPA-E, a US government agency dedicated to funding advanced energy research, announced a handful of grants for a field it calls “low-energy nuclear reactions,” or LENR. Most scientists likely didn’t take notice of the news. But, for a small group of them, the announcement marked vindication for their specialty: cold fusion.

Cold fusion, better known by its practitioners as LENR, is the science—or, perhaps, the art—of making atomic nuclei merge and, ideally, harnessing the resultant energy. All of this happens without the incredible temperatures, on the scale of millions of degrees, that you need for “traditional” fusion. In a dream world, successful cold fusion could provide us with a boundless supply of clean, easily attainable energy.

Tantalizing as it sounds, for the past 30 years, cold fusion has largely been a forgotten specter of one of science’s most notorious controversies, when a pair of chemists in 1989 claimed to achieve the feat—which no one else could replicate. There is still no generally accepted theory that supports cold fusion; many still doubt that it’s possible at all. But those physicists and engineers who work on LENR believe the new grants are a sign that their field is being taken seriously after decades in the wilderness.

“It got a bad start and a bad reputation,” believes David Nagel, an engineer at George Washington University, “and then, over the intervening years, the evidence has piled up.”

Igniting fusion involves pressing the hearts of atoms together, creating larger nuclei and a fountain of energy. This isn’t easy. The protons inside a nucleus give it a positive charge, and like-charged nuclei electrically repel each other. Physicists must force the atoms to crash together anyway.

Normally, breaking this limit needs an immense amount of energy, which is why stars, where fusion happens naturally, and Earthbound experiments reach extreme heat. But what if there were another, lower-temperature way?

Scientists had been theorizing such methods since the early 20th century, and they’d found a few tedious, extremely inefficient ways. But in the 1980s, two chemists thought they’d made one method work to great success.

The duo, Martin Fleischmann and Stanley Pons, had placed the precious metal palladium in a bath of heavy water: a form of H2O whose hydrogen atoms have an extra neutron, a form known as deuterium, commonly used in nuclear science. When Fleischmann and Pons switched on an electrical current through their apparatus and left it running, they began to see abrupt heat spikes, or so they claimed, and particles like neutrons.

Those heat spikes and particles, according to them, could not be explained by any chemical process. What could explain them were the heavy water’s deuterium nuclei fusing, just as they would in a star.
    If Fleischmann and Pons were right, fusion could be achievable at room temperature in a relatively basic chemistry lab. If you think that sounds too good to be true, you’re far from alone. When the pair announced their results in 1989, what followed was one of the most spectacular firestorms in the history of modern science. Scientist after scientist tried to recreate their experiment, and no one could reliably replicate their results.

Pons and Fleischmann are remembered as fraudsters. It likely didn’t help that they were chemists trying to make a mark on a field dominated by physicists. Whatever they had seen, “cold fusion” found itself at respectable science’s margins.

Still, in the shadows, LENR experiments continued. (Some researchers tried variations on Fleischmann and Pons’ themes. Others, especially in Japan, sought LENR as a means of cleaning up nuclear waste by transforming radioactive isotopes into less dangerous ones.) A few experiments showed oddities such as excess heat or alpha particles—anomalies that might best be explained if atomic nuclei were reacting behind the scenes.

“The LENR field has somehow, miraculously, due to the convictions of all these people involved, has stayed alive and has been chugging along for 30 years,” says Jonah Messinger, an analyst at the Breakthrough Institute think tank and a graduate student at MIT.

Fleischmann and Pons’ fatal flaw—that their results could not be replicated—continues to cast a pall over the field. Even some later experiments that seemed to show success could not be replicated. But this does not deter LENR’s current proponents. “Science has a reproducibility problem all the time,” says Florian Metzler, a nuclear scientist at MIT.

In the absence of a large official push, the private sector had provided much of LENR’s backing. In the late 2010s, for instance, Google poured several million dollars into cold fusion research to limited success. But government funding agencies are now starting to pay attention. The ARPA-E program joins European Union projects, HERMES and CleanHME, which both kicked off in 2020. (Messinger and Metzler are members of an MIT team that will receive ARPA-E grant funds.)

By the standards of other energy research funding, none of the grants are particularly eye-watering. The European Union programs and ARPA-E total up to around $10 million each: a pittance compared to the more than $1 billion the US government plans to spend in 2023 on mainstream fusion.
    But that money will be used in important ways, its proponents say. The field has two pressing priorities. One is to attract attention with a high-quality research paper that clearly demonstrates an anomaly, ideally published in a reputable journal like Nature or Science. “Then, I think, there will be a big influx of resources and people,” says Metzler.

A second, longer-term goal is to explain how cold fusion might work. The laws of physics, as scientists understand them today, do not have a consensus answer for why cold fusion could happen at all.
    Metzler doesn’t see that open question as a problem. “Sometimes people have made these arguments: ‘Oh, cold fusion contradicts established physics,’ or something like that,” he says. But he believes there are many unanswered questions in nuclear physics, especially with larger atoms. “We have an enormous amount of ignorance when it comes to nuclear systems,” he says.

Yet answers would have major benefits, other experts argue. “As long as it’s not understood, a lot of people in the scientific community are put off,” says Nagel. “They’re not willing to pay any attention to it.”

It is, of course, entirely possible that cold fusion is an illusion. If that’s the case, then ARPA-E’s grants may give researchers more proof that nothing is there. But it’s also possible that something is at work behind the scenes.

And, LENR proponents say, the Fleischmann and Pons saga is now fading as younger researchers enter the field with no memory of 1989. Perhaps that will finally be what lets LENR emerge from the pair’s shadow.“If there is a nuclear anomaly that occurs,” says Messinger, 'my hope is that the wider physics community is ready to listen.' "
    Each breath a gift...

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2023), Ewan (30th July 2023), rgray222 (3rd August 2023), Vangelo (29th July 2023)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 times in 806 posts

Default Re: Room Temperature Superconductors Changes EVERYTHING!

If it's real and will disrupt the industry, it will be silenced soon!

Also many Nobel Prizes have given to the scammers.
    For free society!

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th July 2023), Ewan (2nd August 2023), Matthew (30th July 2023), rgray222 (3rd August 2023)

37. Link to Post #39
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,454 times in 4,331 posts

... Superconductor breakthrough replicated, twice, in preliminary testing

Francisco Pires
    Tom's Hardware
    Tue, 01 Aug 2023 07:30 UTC

A tentative but less nebulous step toward superconductor-fueled electronics. © Shutterstock

Humanity may be in the throes of another breakthrough that's every bit as impactful as the invention of the transistor and the advent (and eventual vindication) of quantum computing. LK-99, as it's been named, is a new compound that researchers believe will enable the fabrication of room-temperature, ambient-pressure superconductors. Initially published by a Korean team last Friday, frantic work is underway throughout the research world to validate the paper's claims. For now, two separate sources have already provided preliminary confirmations that this might actually be the real thing — Chinese researchers have even posted video proof. Strap in; this is a maglev-powered, superconducting ride.

Superconductors, a wild category of compounds that can conduct electricity without any losses, have been a metaphorical goose chase for years now, with multiple research teams claiming (and then retracting) papers and announcements of its achievement. The reason is simple: Few things come close to the potential of an actual superconductor discovery in terms of what it can do for humanity's current and future technology. Imagine if your 16-core mainstream CPU (which likely requires a competent watercooling solution to avoid incinerating itself) operated without power losses — no current leakage, no electricity waste in the form of heat. Superconductors mean almost perfectly efficient computing.

Scale that to the world's supercomputers, and you begin to get an idea of the performance impact when trillions of transistors based on superconducting materials work in tandem across GPU and CPU tiles to accelerate things like Artificial Intelligence (AI) workloads. Or scale it in the realm of consumer electronics, quantum computing (where superconductors are important for Josephson junctions), and magnets in general (maglev trains, tokamak fusion reactors, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), electric motors and generators...)

If you can dream it and it features an electrical current or magnetism, it's likely a superconducting material would improve most aspects of it while leaving a surplus of previously-wasted energy within humanity's batteries. Environmental sustainability, then, is also a factor.

There might be more to LK-99 than skeptics expected, as two research teams have already confirmed the superconductivity claims — albeit in preliminary testing. Researcher Sinéad Griffin from the U.S.'s Lawrence Berkeley National Lab pored over the original paper, taking advantage of the supercomputing capabilities within the Department of Energy to simulate the LK-99 material. This complex-yet-simple concoction results from combining the minerals lanarkite (Pb₂SO₅) and copper phosphide (Cu₃P), which are then baked within a 4-day, multi-step, small batch, solid-state synthesis process.

As a result of the simulations, the researcher published an analysis letter in pre-print form to Arxiv, where she confirmed that the resulting material should manifest the superconduction pathways for electrons to travel through unimpeded and without any resistance. Interestingly, she noticed that these superconducting pathways only form in very specific areas of the compound, namely the highest-energy areas of the resulting crystal lattice.

Because physics dictates that systems tend to remain stable at their lowest-possible energy states, this means that the amount of superconducting material produced with each "shake-and-bake" manufacturing attempt will result in relatively low quantities of the material. The hope, then, is that further refinements to the fabrication process will yield higher quantities of the material that can then be harvested and put toward building the superconductors themselves.

But in what's perhaps the most definite sign of a verification, Chinese researchers with the Huazhong University of Science and Technology have claimed to have successfully replicated the superconductor's manufacturing process, posting a video on Twitter as proof (expand the tweet above to see the video).

The above video showcases the Meissner effect as being definite proof of the material's superconducting capabilities. The Meissner effect refers to the expulsion of a magnetic field due to the superconducting process. It is the reason why the video showcases levitating materials — they are interacting with LK-99's Meissner-induced magnetic field.

The entire story surrounding this discovery is a scientific rollercoaster ride, with rogue scientists, updated papers, plus cloudy definitions and process descriptions within the paper that make replication efforts more difficult, and even a Russian soil scientist (and anime catgirl) deconstructing the original Korean paper to unveil the trademark levitation of the Meissner effect over her own kitchen counter.

We've seen movies with much less complex plots than this already. It's eerily appropriate that such a monumental discovery would be rife with drama. And we're still waiting for a definite announcement that yes, humanity has finally produced room-temperature, ambient-pressure superconductors. After that, there are plenty more physics barriers to crash through, as always.
    Francisco Pires is a freelance news writer for Tom's Hardware with a soft side for quantum computing.
    Related:

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2023), Ewan (2nd August 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (2nd August 2023), rgray222 (3rd August 2023)

39. Link to Post #40
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,454 times in 4,331 posts

... Clif chiming in on the LK-99 breakthrough:
    LK-99

Damn! Humans are going to the show!

Listen now (26 min) |
    clif high∙

Last edited by Gwin Ru; 4th August 2023 at 15:47.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2023), rgray222 (3rd August 2023), Vangelo (4th August 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast