1. Link to Post #21
    Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 times in 168 posts

Default Re: Looks like DuckDuckGo shot itself in its own foot

Nodding in your direction Mark.

My thoughts as well after playing with the Brave browser some time ago. The only reason to use it is to temporarily circumvent tracking before you close it and hardly ever use it again. There are ways to get around tracking, just not really simple ones. The anonymity that the Brave browser provides rests merely on the fact that everyone's browser appears to be the same. Makes me harken back to that (in)famous '1984' Macintosh ad.

Ditto on the menu bar issue.

The Brave search engine seems to be OK. Firefox doesn't seem to have it listed among their suggested search engines even if one hits the 'find more search engines' button. Obviously they don't want to encourage the competition. Firefox is soon to be booed out of the arena as well for questionable business associations and practices.

Still chuckling at that graphic. Makes me wonder how we've come to be where we are today, from the place we were in the beginning of this entire internet fiasco. It had to happen I suppose.

These connections we share at this moment are actually our human potential peeking out at us. I mean that were we where we very well could be, something akin to telepathy would be shared. The internet provides but a vaporous shadow image of who we would be with such advanced capabilities. Among us I think there are quite a few who know precisely what I'm talking about. To get there, though, perhaps the dark side needs airing out. That's as positive a spin I can put on anything during these times.

What I see in the world, in general, is a raging case of infantilism. Menu bars - bring 'em back!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to helium For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th March 2022), Franny (12th March 2022), Gwin Ru (11th March 2022), Harmony (13th March 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th March 2022), mojo (11th March 2022), mountain_jim (12th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), wondering (12th March 2022)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,526 times in 5,655 posts

Thanks for the advice of members here and I chose to try the Brave browser. Although Im having a problem with not having the search page open when I click on the Brave desktop icon. Does anyone know how to keep the search page open from the Brave homepage?

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th March 2022), Gwin Ru (11th March 2022), Harmony (13th March 2022), mountain_jim (12th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), wondering (12th March 2022)

5. Link to Post #23
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,947 times in 1,729 posts

new experiences...(2)

Original TOR browser search settings find Starpage...but after select it, DDG don't go away...

Only in the over search bar appears... then you can tip... and I found Rense.com again...(?)

I still go to experimenter some other possible browser/ search engine ,stay tune...
    Last edited by Vicus; 11th March 2022 at 21:14.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th March 2022), Ewan (12th March 2022), Gwin Ru (11th March 2022), Harmony (13th March 2022), mountain_jim (12th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022)

7. Link to Post #24
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,783 times in 4,377 posts

Quote Posted by helium (here)
    [...]

The Brave search engine seems to be OK. Firefox doesn't seem to have it listed among their suggested search engines even if one hits the 'find more search engines' button. Obviously they don't want to encourage the competition. [...]
    ... when in the add-ons setting of Firefox, if one enters "brave search engine", it will show up as an add-on... I found.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

amor (13th March 2022), Bill Ryan (11th March 2022), Ewan (12th March 2022), Harmony (13th March 2022), mojo (12th March 2022), mountain_jim (12th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), wondering (12th March 2022)

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,525 times in 442 posts

I loved Firefox as a browser until about two years ago when they announced an agenda to control disinformation (free thought). Switched to Brave because I really needed synchronised bookmarks across my computers and phone. I think I changed browsers and my search engine from another thread here on Project Avalon. But DDG will have to go now.
    Our destiny is in our hands. Let us visualise a world of truth, freedom and equality.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Andre For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th March 2022), Ewan (12th March 2022), Gwin Ru (12th March 2022), Harmony (13th March 2022), mojo (12th March 2022), mountain_jim (12th March 2022), Reinhard (13th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), wondering (12th March 2022)

11. Link to Post #26
    Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mojo (here)
    Thanks for the advice of members here and I chose to try the Brave browser. Although Im having a problem with not having the search page open when I click on the Brave desktop icon. Does anyone know how to keep the search page open from the Brave homepage?
    I don't have the Brave browser loaded right now, but if memory serves me Brave is just a locked down, stripped down version of Mozilla's Firefox. So the menu settings should be much the same. If the pull down menu does not show at the top of the Brave window (hello Mark!!) then right click on the top margin and select 'menu bar,' then 'tools' and then 'settings.' You can set your home page, default search engine, and other stuff.

The things you do not want to do with Brave that will defeat tracking while browsing the web is to change whatever addons may be loaded. Certain changes made in Brave will make your copy stand out among all the other Brave browsers that are identical because Mozilla wanted Brave to be anonymous.

I'm not certain if changing the home page might identify you. Brave was not intended to be cutomized to any great degree, especially if it's used on the Tor network.

Just saw the comment about using an addon to install the Brave search engine. Yes, that's how I had to do it in Firefox. The actual Brave browser will have the Brave search engine as default.

Again, I have to say that changing addons in the actual Brave browser will defeat anonymity. Plus, I was not comfortable using an addon that had so few users and was not supported by Firefox. Although I'm pretty sure that the persons behind that addon are maybe trustworthy. (Some statement, huh?)

There are probably others who might be of more help than I.
    Last edited by helium; 11th March 2022 at 23:03.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to helium For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th March 2022), Ewan (12th March 2022), Gwin Ru (12th March 2022), Harmony (13th March 2022), mojo (12th March 2022), Reinhard (13th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), wondering (12th March 2022)

13. Link to Post #27
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,468 times in 950 posts

yandax is my search engine now for info...tried 2 days so far and feel like back in the day for non-mainstream. Looking for 2nd search engine right now.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to apokalypse For This Post:

Ewan (12th March 2022), Gwin Ru (12th March 2022), Harmony (13th March 2022), mojo (12th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), Vicus (12th March 2022)

15. Link to Post #28
    Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by apokalypse (here)
    yandax is my search engine now for info...tried 2 days so far and feel like back in the day for non-mainstream. Looking for 2nd search engine right now.
    Could it be possible that the Russian powers-that-be encourage Yandex to link to western alternative news sites that speak truth?

Maybe I'm dense in the head and everyone already knows this. I just haven't thought of it until apokalypse posted yesterday and today about Yandex searches. RT, Tass, and other state news agencies never impressed me. But if Russia wanted truth to prevail during this current situation they could do no better than allow alternative news sites all around the world to proliferate on Yandex.

Thank you for making me think.
    Last edited by helium; 12th March 2022 at 16:56.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to helium For This Post:

Gwin Ru (12th March 2022), Harmony (13th March 2022), mojo (12th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022)

17. Link to Post #29
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,534 times in 725 posts

Take a look at this, it's named Tails: https://tails.boum.org/
    You Can't Talk and Listen at the Same Time

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richter For This Post:

Ewan (13th March 2022), Harmony (13th March 2022), mojo (12th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022)

19. Link to Post #30
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,287 times in 21,093 posts

• Saturday Show ep. 3: ft. New York Times Hit Piece Analyzed!:
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Harmony (13th March 2022), mojo (12th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), wondering (13th March 2022)

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 78,352 times in 8,674 posts

https://twitter.com/Timcast/status/1...OAn4fvOU-krfxQ

I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions. - Robert Anton Wilson

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

angelfire (16th March 2022), ClearWater (13th March 2022), ExomatrixTV (13th March 2022), Gwin Ru (12th March 2022), Harmony (13th March 2022), mojo (13th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), Vicus (13th March 2022), wondering (13th March 2022)

23. Link to Post #32
    Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Am listening to the above links now.

But it came to me very clearly a moment ago that there are two issues involved (if not more) and they are censorship and tracking using meta-data.

It's difficult to circumvent tracking on the big-tech search sites. That's a web browser issue. Tracking is a major issue for every user who has a stake in living consciously within a world of relative harmony. Tracking without full consent is at it's core a deceitful practice.

Censorship is the primary issue facing DDG at the moment. Of course it's deceitful as well.

I just wanted to seperate these two issues since it sounds like some folks are a bit blurry as to the distinction.

Am reminded of Dylan's song 'Disease of Conceit.' Anyone who believes they are superior to others will use deceit without regard.

https://www.bobdylan.com/songs/disease-conceit/

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to helium For This Post:

Ewan (13th March 2022), ExomatrixTV (13th March 2022), Gwin Ru (12th March 2022), Harmony (13th March 2022), mojo (13th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), wondering (13th March 2022)

25. Link to Post #33
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,862 times in 2,592 posts

A conversation I had today with a personal acquaintance of the DDG originator/founder:

"The web is buzzing about how Duck Duck Go has now become propaganda like google, and people are leaving that search engine fast. Im sure your friend must be a bit upset?"
    https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?b...ket-Ticker-Nad

answer:
    "Nah, who cares about a few thousand right wing nut jobs?
    It’s bad for business anyways."
    "And they’ve always piggybacked off of Bing search engine tech"

"Would think those are a big proportion of their users…"

answer:
    "Used to be, but as they grew they’ve become more mainstream"

(I promptly went to my bookmarks and fully deleted DDG, never to venture there again!)
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Ewan (13th March 2022), Gwin Ru (13th March 2022), Harmony (13th March 2022), mojo (13th March 2022), mountain_jim (13th March 2022), norman (13th March 2022), Sunny (14th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), Vicus (13th March 2022), wondering (13th March 2022)

27. Link to Post #34
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,587 times in 1,594 posts

Yep! Time now to promote Brave search and Pre-Search.. but let me tell you, both are bad as well haha
    Brave is disgusting, typical idiots offering peanuts (BAT) for people in order to use their ****. Pre-search not different. When you get enough $$$ they ask ALL your personal data and self and **** in order for you to cash out, and also they will keep around 50% of you Crypto (because they are a good thieves). Screw these 2 companies for profit, bunch of bastards arse holes.

Give a try to https://searx.ninja/ the code is open search and audited by community and the searching data from diverse sources and you can choose it in the settings.

USE EVERYTHING THAT IS FREE AND OPEN SOURCE AND GIVE A MIDDLE FINGER AND BOYCOTT ALL TECH COMPANIES FOR PROFIT. SCREW THEM ALL.

Just a warning: I would stay out of Discord as well, I received an email from them few days ago about policy changing, where they say they will not tolerate fake news, misinformation, fake profiles, etc and etc and etc.. whatever they mean by that, the thing is, they are mainstream bull****, anything too controversial in that network is being watched and will be removed just like FB, Twitter does..
    Last edited by palehorse; 13th March 2022 at 05:56.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ewan (13th March 2022), gord (13th March 2022), Harmony (15th March 2022), mountain_jim (13th March 2022), Sunny (14th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), wondering (13th March 2022)

29. Link to Post #35
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,779 times in 4,344 posts

I really miss the days before google, before greed, censorship, and algorithms set up shop... I miss the days when the internet was a new green country, a land of freedom before the thought police moved in... I remember when the search engine of choice was AltaVista, and it was awesome.

Man, I miss the internet in the 90s..

Click image for larger version

Name:	altavista_nostalgia.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	48621
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

gord (13th March 2022), Gwin Ru (13th March 2022), Harmony (15th March 2022), mojo (13th March 2022), mountain_jim (13th March 2022), norman (13th March 2022), palehorse (14th March 2022), Sue (Ayt) (13th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), wondering (13th March 2022)

31. Link to Post #36
    Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mark (Star Mariner) (here)
    I really miss the days before google, before greed, censorship, and algorithms set up shop... I miss the days when the internet was a new green country, a land of freedom before the thought police moved in... I remember when the search engine of choice was AltaVista, and it was awesome.

Man, I miss the internet in the 90s..

Attachment 48621
    That graphic brings back memories for sure. What I miss most are the days when personal computers were a far off dream. When the community I lived in had no law enforcement whatsoever except one highway patrol officer who lived in town to be close to his beat on the remote state highway. He had no official capacity in terms of local law enforcement. But when we might need assistance we could knock on his door.

And speaking of doors, none of our homes had locks on the doors. Additionally, there was no TV.

Things have changed, even in that remote village, and not for the betterment of anyone.

But back on topic, this article by Epoch Times quotes Katie McInnis of DDG:

“In light of Russia’s assault on democracy and Ukraine, we have paused our relationship with Yandex,” McInnis told the House Committee on Energy & Commerce. “The index was used to provide traditional links, meaning non-news links, in Russia and Turkey.”

Thus begging the question, what was the relationship that DDG had with Yandex? Surely DDG wouldn't limit their use of Yandex searches to non-English languages. It only seems reasonable that some links presented in a DDG search actually came from Yandex as a whole (including the English version) and not just from Bing or Google.

In my experience DDG was OK, just OK, for everyday searches such as dictionary, thesaurus, math/engineering/electronic calculators, or general info. But I do recall that many currently-deplatformed sites such as Alex Jones appeared on DDG as a matter of course when they were more or less absent from goo-bing.

The Epoch Times article seems to put the argument to rest that DDG simply decided to rely on Bing to the exclusion of others. They are actively censoring on their own.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/duckdu...aign=ZeroHedge

The anomaly that intrigues me is why google's youtube would not censor all of the extraordinarily revealing videos coming out of Canada, especially Ottawa. My only conclusion is that some entity or another in control planned on creating a shock to the freedom-loving communities around the world. Such shocks have come on an ongoing basis and are becoming increasingly threatening. The populace is becoming innured to them while venting frustration over news items like DDG which give them opportunity to express their frustrations over issues that are relatively innocuous. Outrage over Ottawa and it's socio/ecenomic/political fallout appear to be left in the dust, even in the alternative media.

All of this censorship and tracking we discuss here has been ongoing way before DDG. Most of us know that. However I find the overnight media switch from state-sponsored police barbarism in Ottawa to in-your-face nuclear war threats to be a major flaw in the controllers' strategy.

Too many are waking up too fast to control without risking social and infrastructure damage that I don't think the controllers really want to occur. I've seen this kind of stupidity before. But if it's not stupidity, but is in fact cold, calculated social engineering, then I'm forced to conclude (well, at least hypothesize) that nuclear events of some kind (possibly widespread EMP) are imminent.

I came as Indigo decades before anyone thought of conceiving the concept of Indigo children. There was what I'd like to think a benevolent coercion behind my ermegence here. I do recall that I resisted before I knew that I had an 'I.' What I miss most in my life experience is living among those who did not judge. Where I could speak and act differently without threats and without retribution since I was not the only odd character in town. Even then I couldn't speak too freely without triggering fear. I've always resonated to the phrase 'differently sentient' from the series Caprica.

Today there is little to zero tolerance for speaking as the Indigo Adult that I've become - not even here on the PA forum. Though I do feel a responsiblity to PA and it's members. I only use the Indigo terminology as a crutch. There are so many other terms with belief systems behind them that are literally crutches used to hobble from one hopefully deeper understanding to another. Crutches are obvious utensils to be discarded when no longer necessary.

Maturity can be measured by the number of rudimentary crutches one relies upon. I like to think of PA as a place where crutches are routinely dispensed with while learning to walk upright - if not run - with joy and freedom at heart. A new world is blooming. The goal posts of what we consider physical and/or material are moving further apart. The deceit we are discussing right now is intended to block discovery and outright social acceptance of expanding realities as the goal posts move.

This is the first and only thread that I've started since I joined the PA forum. At the time I thought that it would be a good idea to introduce the DDG subject here before it might explode everywhere else. This morning it seems I've discovered a deeper reason why I started the thread. It's not just about crackdowns on internet searches. It's about the deeper agendas that those crackdowns stem from. In comparison, I say, war propaganda appearing in our web browsers is the least of our concerns.

Tracking users via web browsers and search engines is taking something against others' will. Censorship is hiding that which leads not only to limits on freedom of thought, but it's hiding that which leads to growth into the realms that we are entitled to enter at will for our own enlightenment and the natural evolution of the human species.

I doubt there will be many other venues where these issues with DDG will be put into a deeper persective than here on Avalon.

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to helium For This Post:

Gwin Ru (13th March 2022), Harmony (15th March 2022), leavesoftrees (16th March 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (14th March 2022), mojo (13th March 2022), palehorse (14th March 2022), Sue (Ayt) (13th March 2022), Sunny (14th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), Vicus (14th March 2022), wondering (15th March 2022)

33. Link to Post #37
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,446 times in 8,340 posts

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)

answer:
    " Nah, who cares about a few thousand right wing nut jobs?
    It’s bad for business anyways.
    "

Who's up for starting a 'Famous Last Words' thread around here ?

I have a hunch there's going to be a lot of material for it shortly.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

34. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

angelfire (16th March 2022), Ewan (14th March 2022), Gwin Ru (13th March 2022), Harmony (15th March 2022), mojo (13th March 2022), mountain_jim (13th March 2022), palehorse (14th March 2022), Sue (Ayt) (13th March 2022), Sunny (14th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), Vicus (14th March 2022), wondering (15th March 2022)

35. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,526 times in 5,655 posts

Quote Yep! Time now to promote Brave search and Pre-Search.. but let me tell you, both are bad as well haha
    Brave is disgusting, typical idiots offering peanuts (BAT) for people in order to use their ****.
    Not sure about the comment, as I just downloaded the beta version and in just a few days over 8k ads & tracers were blocked. Also I like that it provides the transparency of stats for the user on the homepage. Haven't seen any other browsers do that. Hopefully soon there will be other browsers that will protect freedom of speech & from censorship & provide privacy. Probably just a hope & dream...

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

Gwin Ru (13th March 2022), Harmony (15th March 2022), palehorse (14th March 2022), sunflower (14th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), wondering (15th March 2022)

37. Link to Post #39
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,587 times in 1,594 posts

Quote Posted by mojo (here)
    Quote Yep! Time now to promote Brave search and Pre-Search.. but let me tell you, both are bad as well haha
    Brave is disgusting, typical idiots offering peanuts (BAT) for people in order to use their ****.
    Not sure about the comment, as I just downloaded the beta version and in just a few days over 8k ads & tracers were blocked. Also I like that it provides the transparency of stats for the user on the homepage. Haven't seen any other browsers do that. Hopefully soon there will be other browsers that will protect freedom of speech & from censorship & provide privacy. Probably just a hope & dream...
    Please take a look at this page, there is a lot of information about Brave Browser there.
    https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/brave.html

Just summarizing what is in that page..
    • Spyware Level: High
    • Auto-updates
    • Brave has built-in telemetry
    • Brave Today (similar to firefox pocket)
    • SafeBrowsing (requests to brave server)
    • Brave Rewards (requests to brave server)
    • Miscellaneous requests worth noting (rewards.brave.com, api.rewards.brave.com, grant.rewards.brave.com, variations.brave.com, crlsets.brave.com, and many others)
    • Brave fetches the list of affiliates through laptop-updates.brave.com
    • request to static1.brave.com (this one before landed on google's server now it only returns >>> curl: (56) Recv failure: Connection reset by peer
      <<<)

Brave is a SPYWARE tool, I did verify myself all the information before mentioned lie a year ago and I found out it to be true, I immediately stopped using it after that.
    Today I use a very tweaked version of Firefox (for modern web), and I use IceCat, Pale Moon, and Tor Browser for the rest.

Here is a bunch of old articles that are archived now for obviously reason:

https://archive.ph/qntuk#selection-227.0-243.124 (good one, worth the time reading)
    https://archive.ph/hB8j3 (PRISM)
    http://web.archive.org/web/201809091...lp/privacy/atb (DDG old privacy term - not online anymore)
    https://spyware.neocities.org/transl...o_article.html (NSA safe search engine? not so safe)

All these information is available before August 2021, some goes back right after Snowden episode.

Interesting video here: https://sp.rmbl.ws/s8/2/u/d/M/t/udMtd.gaa.mp4
    Last edited by palehorse; 14th March 2022 at 08:46.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ewan (14th March 2022), Gwin Ru (14th March 2022), Harmony (15th March 2022), Sunny (14th March 2022), Tintin (14th March 2022), Vicus (14th March 2022)

39. Link to Post #40
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,947 times in 1,729 posts

new experiences...(3)

I just beginn a new love affair... with Yandex!

It found everything I use to search! included RT Germany, they continue transmission from Serbia...

so far Yandex is not "forbidden" I can access it with all kind of browser!

Anyway, all browsers know what you search for , that you are awake in all sens: social, politics, medicine, etc.( that you don't buy MSM bull sh!t ! )

And "maybe" some day THEY will come for us...but it will be too late for THEM!!

PS: when I try to go to Starpage Brave tell me "this page is not secure" and block it!
    Last edited by Vicus; 14th March 2022 at 16:48.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Gwin Ru (14th March 2022), Harmony (15th March 2022), leavesoftrees (16th March 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast