+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The "Magic Trip" movie by Ken Kesey

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,422 times in 5,645 posts

Default The "Magic Trip" movie by Ken Kesey

This amazing movie was just posted on youtube. If your an older person you might have lived the time period but certainly it shows historical perspective of that time. I was just a young teen back then.
    Quote Ken Kesey, Neal Cassidy and the Grateful Dead star in this rollicking film about the Merry Pranksters, created from never-before-seen footage of their legendary, acid-fueled cross-country road trip in 1965.
    oops sorry the movie will not imbed and is age restricted.
    Here is the link though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_l1aqwX3KQ

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

angelfire (1st April 2022), Axman (1st April 2022), Franny (11th April 2022), gini (1st April 2022), Harmony (31st March 2022), haroldsails (2nd April 2022), Ioneo (31st March 2022), Johnnycomelately (31st March 2022), Mari (1st April 2022), mountain_jim (31st March 2022), pueblo (1st April 2022), RunningDeer (31st March 2022), Sue (Ayt) (11th April 2022), Sunny-side-up (1st April 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Default Re: The "Magic Trip" movie by Ken Kesey

Quote Posted by mojo (here)
    This amazing movie was just posted on youtube. If your an older person you might have lived the time period but certainly it shows historical perspective of that time. I was just a young teen back then.
    Quote Ken Kesey, Neal Cassidy and the Grateful Dead star in this rollicking film about the Merry Pranksters, created from never-before-seen footage of their legendary, acid-fueled cross-country road trip in 1965.
    oops sorry the movie will not imbed and is age restricted.
    Here is the link though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_l1aqwX3KQ
    Tripping (1999 Ken Kesey / Merry Pranksters documentary) (55 min)
    Ken Kesey, Neal Cassidy and the Grateful Dead star in this rollicking film about the Merry Pranksters, created from never-before-seen footage of their legendary, acid-fueled cross-country road trip in 1965.

The back-up video below plays in Firefox but not in Safari. It could have something to do with my Safari settings for YouTube.
    Magic Trip (1:48:00)
    Ken Kesey, Neal Cassidy and the Grateful Dead star in this rollicking film about the Merry Pranksters, created from never-before-seen footage of their legendary, acid-fueled cross-country road trip in 1965.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 31st March 2022 at 23:06.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

angelfire (1st April 2022), avid (1st April 2022), Franny (11th April 2022), gini (1st April 2022), Harmony (31st March 2022), haroldsails (2nd April 2022), Ioneo (2nd April 2022), Johnnycomelately (31st March 2022), Le Chat (1st April 2022), Mike Gorman (1st April 2022), mojo (31st March 2022), mountain_jim (31st March 2022), Sunny-side-up (1st April 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 77,646 times in 8,595 posts

And the CIA to thank for starting the whole San Fran Psychedelic music scene by including in their LSD experiments Ken Kesey, Robert Hunter (in my view on par with Dylan as the best lyricist-poet in the 20th century), and others...

https://stillnessinthestorm.com/2018...ultra-program/

Quote Ken Kesey

Kesey, the author of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and a source of inspiration in the counterculture movement, was first exposed to LSD and other psychedelic drugs as a part of the MKULTRA project while still a graduate student at Stanford University. He came to be involved in the study almost by accident, as a neighbor of Kesey’s—a psychologist—signed up for the project but had to back out at the last minute. An outstanding athlete and a straitlaced individual up to that point, Kesey had never done any sort of drug and had never even tasted alcohol. At the time of the experiments, Kesey was in training for the 1960 Olympics, as he had earned a place on the wrestling team as an alternate.

Despite Allen Ginsberg’s insistence, Kesey did not believe that the project was sponsored by the CIA, and not until decades later did Kesey discover the program’s true intent: “[The testing] wasn’t being done to try to cure insane people, which is what we thought. It was being done to try to make people insane—to weaken people, and to be able to put them under the control of interrogators.”

Of course, the resulting effect of the LSD did not weaken Kesey, as psychedelics came to be a tool of enlightenment for the author and cultural icon. Kesey noted that the CIA experimentation helped in evoking the kind of epiphanies that ultimately served as the foundation for the counterculture movement that would soon follow: “We suddenly realized that there’s a lot more to this world than we previously thought . . . One of the things that I think came out of it is this, is that there’s room. We don’t all have to be the same. We don’t have to have Baptists coast to coast. We can throw in some Buddhists and some Christians, and people who are just thinking these totally strange thoughts about the Irish leprechauns—that there is room, spiritually, for everybody in this universe.”

While still undergoing the CIA testing, Kesey took a job at the project facility, noting that his status as an employee gave him access to several experimental drugs. While Kesey’s friends and many others were able to make LSD on their own after the testing, Kesey acknowledged that the government had the best LSD around, saying, “[The homemade LSD] never was anywhere as good as that good government stuff. That’s the government—the CIA always has the best stuff.”

Robert Hunter

Robert Hunter, a lyricist and longtime collaborator with the Grateful Dead’s Jerry Garcia, was exposed to the same testing as Kesey, though he had no idea that it was a part of the MKULTRA project until many years later. Hunter had a very different experience from Bulger, saying the following in an interview with Reuters in 2013:

I couldn’t figure out why they were paying me to take these psychedelics. What they wanted to do was to check if I was more hypnotizable when I was on them. It was hard to pay attention to what the hell they were talking about, much less be hypnotized. It was the first time I had had any of this stuff, and the drugs in themselves were rather spectacular. Nobody had had my experiences, and it was at least two years before those drugs started getting out on the street. It was like a secret club of one.

As a songwriter, Hunter is responsible for some of the most cherished songs in the Dead’s expansive catalog, including “Ripple,” “Uncle John’s Band,” “Dark Star,” and “Box of Rain,” and his talents will be honored in the summer of 2015 when he is scheduled for enshrinement into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, joining the likes of Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie. Through the CIA testing, Hunter was the first of his social circle to try LSD by a few years, so when Garcia took LSD for the first time, it was Hunter who advised him, “Go home, put on a Ravi Shankar record, just listen to the music.”
    Last edited by mountain_jim; 1st April 2022 at 17:04.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions. - Robert Anton Wilson

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

angelfire (1st April 2022), Franny (11th April 2022), gini (1st April 2022), Harmony (31st March 2022), haroldsails (2nd April 2022), Ioneo (2nd April 2022), Ivanhoe (2nd April 2022), Johnnycomelately (31st March 2022), Mike Gorman (1st April 2022), mojo (31st March 2022), RunningDeer (31st March 2022), Sunny-side-up (1st April 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Darn it - The video has not been made available by the uploader for my country (UK)

S.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to samsdice For This Post:

Mike Gorman (11th April 2022), mojo (1st April 2022), mountain_jim (1st April 2022), RunningDeer (1st April 2022), Sunny-side-up (1st April 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Scotland Avalon Member angelfire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 times in 241 posts

Quote Posted by samsdice (here)
    Darn it - The video has not been made available by the uploader for my country (UK)

S.
    Running Deer has come up tops again - her first video, above, works fine in the UK.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angelfire For This Post:

mojo (1st April 2022), mountain_jim (2nd April 2022), RunningDeer (1st April 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

Great OP mojo. much needed at the mo

I was there but in more recent times 0yO

What great bus to have in your garage

And thank you running dear for the working link.
    Last edited by Sunny-side-up; 1st April 2022 at 19:26.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

mojo (1st April 2022), mountain_jim (2nd April 2022), RunningDeer (1st April 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,340 times in 472 posts

Quote Posted by angelfire (here)
    Quote Posted by samsdice (here)

S.
    Running Deer has come up tops again - her first video, above, works fine in the UK.
    Yep, can confirm there's no issues viewing in the UK....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Le Chat For This Post:

mojo (15th April 2022), RunningDeer (1st April 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doubleboy For This Post:

mojo (15th April 2022), onevoice (11th April 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Also on Netflix Canada.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

mojo (15th April 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,284 times in 639 posts

Longest time running film in the cinemas in Sweden
    26 years nonstop!
    "Gökboet"
    or
    "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

Whatch it , if you did, rewatch it!
    You will not be disappointed!

Afasi , heratattacks , bloodcloths, brain hem,orids, ds and a broken bone here and there, lets all accept it as part of our life experience.

I you all!
    Last edited by Rawhide68; 15th April 2022 at 22:31.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rawhide68 For This Post:

mojo (15th April 2022)

+ Reply to Thread