+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: What Supplements Might be Missing from your Health Regimen?

1. Link to Post #61
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,124 times in 332 posts

Default Re: What Supplements Might be Missing from your Health Regimen?

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    Dr. Mercola has written a lot about folate/folic acid.
    Unfortunately, due to heavy censoring, most of his articles are behind a paywall now.
    Quote Posted by Anu Raman (here)
    Vitamin C with organic folate/folic acid.

You guys always talk about other supplements, but never about real organic folate. Wonder why?

You got synthetic folic acid in your blood... some of it unmetabolized.

Think what that synthetic folic acid will do to you when you get a virus which is reliant upon furin enzyme.

Not censored here:

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...ment-for-Covid

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anu Raman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Harmony (13th September 2022), mojo (13th December 2022), onawah (12th September 2022)

3. Link to Post #62
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,088 times in 20,639 posts

Here's that article:
    Note: New information in post #13.

I am happy to have found Dr. Mercola's pdf file in the Avalon library regarding vitamins which you can find here:

https://avalonlibrary.net/Coronaviru...Mercola%29.pdf

The part which indicates about Folic Acid aka Folate, listed under the "Vitamin B9" section, which specifically stated that it has been recently found that Folic acid inhibits the furin enzyme, thus blocking the viral spike protein.

In early 2020, I requested this specific nutrient to be outlined in heavy detailed research at the Royal Society of Chemistry. A group of Iranians decided to fulfill my request and did the explicit analysis. The report you can find here outlines it well:

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/arti.../ra/d1ra03299b

As you can see, it was peer reviewed and accepted into the main RSC library.

However, the request was only for determining folate aka folic acid interaction with the furin enzyme and an depth comparative analysis with Folicin. It was found that folic acid, has a better 'communicative pathway' with how it deals with the enzymatic processes.

However, this had left out a crucial component regarding the so called 'Synthetic folic acid' which is a common fortifier in our food today.

Synthetic folic acid (SFA) was created somewhere from 1930 to 1945 and it has been introduced in our food since the 1990s'. Synthetic folic acid, a man made composition is pretty much the same as the real thing, with an exception of how it is metabolized coming from the blood plasma. SFA does leave un-metabolized particles in the blood plasma and it does not get excreted the way metabolized compositions do. Real folate does not leave any parts of it 'un-metabolized' as it is completely absorbed by the body.

With that being said, this 'un-metabolized' SFA in the blood plasma is highly suspect involving issues with SARS-Cov-2 infected individuals. Unmetabolized SFA is first hijacked by the virus and it increases the speed of transition to the nearest cell in order to replicate. Such replication of the viral counterpart, causes the immune system to delay response to churn out proper immune cells and antibodies. This SFA, accumulated in the blood over years of food consumption has actually delayed the immune response system. Science has always indicated that it takes 2 to 3 weeks for the immune system to churn out the proper antibodies in an attempt to destroy the viral particles...and it has been recently found that SFA is largely responsible for.

The validation of SFA interaction with Sars-Cov-2 has not been vindicated, because there is no more money coming into the folate analysis project. This was a one time thing as it costs a lot of money to procure a such report. Therefore the project had been left idle, abandoned until the next investor comes along and request a such explicit detailed report. I know now, that this most likely will never happen. There has been so much control over this SFA issue that it involves multitudes of manufacturers, product making, etc, on a factory level that it has to be completely re-investigated. I had my chance at convincing the ISC, a scientific community panel, to re-investigate SFA; as they indicated in their judgment that they will do this explicit work. So.. I had to accept it as it is and move on.

As example - SFA is heavily used in high processed foods. They strip the real folate from them and replace it with SFA. Since Folate is a sensitive water soluble vitamin, it is also stripped from fruits and veggies via the use of pesticides. Red meat is also stripped of natural folate due to antibiotics use in animals. Every time you look up on a search site about the contents of fruits or veggies, for example, it lays out details of how much folate are in them.. well.. that is if they are not sprayed with pesticides...

This is why I am sharing this with you today - I am trying to spread this information to other people, forums, etc, and keep going with it.. and perhaps someday it will reach the mainstream media level, which I kinda heavily doubt due to the ever constant propaganda coming from the vaccination front - as this would conflict with their agenda. If they were to find out that real food folate actually kills the virus in the initial infection stage, there would be no need for vaccines, now would there be?

So here is my simple advice:

If you are an avid vitamins taker, please get REAL FOOD FOLATE.. such example which I purchase from Swanson vitamins - Label "Real Food Folic Acid" and has an ingredient list of "Folate - 1665 mcg" etc and is 'prenatal' version. Prenatal versions are usually the strongest out of the whole batch. Do not be tricked into purchasing labeled folic acid as they are synthetic. Make sure you look at the ingredient list on the back.. You could add this to your collection of vitamins because I've noticed that everyone, is always talking about vitamin C, D, zinc, HCQ, IVM, etc.. but mostly never about real food folate. But as a warning, be very careful in using this type of folate.. you may need to build yourself up from using a weaker form of real food folate for temporary until you are ready to take the strongest one. This is due to reports of vomiting from other people regarding the strength of the swanson folate, which was indicative of a viral infection in the gut biome which reacted with it.

Preventative method is simple.. Vitamin C as a "placeholder" along with a pill form of real food folate. It can be taken everyday, or once every few days, depending on what situation you are in, involving potential infected individuals.. This would make an excellent viral preventative.

This real food folate from Swanson which I use, actually worked when I was infected with covid. I have my own home clinitest antigen rapid test from another country, and I've tested positive 3 times confirmed, and at the end of the day, I tested 3 times negative. It was a risky experiment, placing myself as a lab rat in this scenario, for just hanging out with a group of confirmed, sick infected people, without a mask, etc.. This had confirmed the validation of the RSC Folate report - I needed to find out to 'prove it'... and now I can hang around with infected individuals without worrying about getting seriously ill. The cellular conversion rate has been increased with the real food folate. Ever wonder why our grandmothers have always told us to eat real fruits from trees?

Keep in mind, that the SARS-Cov-2 virus WILL cause an influenza pathway if it cannot invade your cells to replicate. After all, it is a Chimera type virus... and it's the ONLY ONE out of all the coronaviruses to have an DIRECT attachment to furin enzymatic processes. This 'flu' is temporary which comes with low fever for a couple days, as the immune system will automatically kick start, giving you quicker and faster immunity processes.

So, for writing this up for you to read..
    PLEASE SHARE this information with your family and friends...
    If there is ever any doubt about any of this, have them RESEARCH this at their own leisure..

Thank you so much for reading.
    -An
    Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    Dr. Mercola has written a lot about folate/folic acid.
    Unfortunately, due to heavy censoring, most of his articles are behind a paywall now.
    Vitamin C with organic folate/folic acid.

You guys always talk about other supplements, but never about real organic folate. Wonder why?

You got synthetic folic acid in your blood... some of it unmetabolized.

Think what that synthetic folic acid will do to you when you get a virus which is reliant upon furin enzyme.

Not censored here:

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...ment-for-Covid
    And here's post #13:
    UPDATE STATUS: RED ALERT.

The so called "Omicron" variant no longer has the "Q52R" amino component in the viral spike protein S1 "housing". It was previously validated to bind to human ACE-2 via ELISA, which is now 'substituted' in the N terminal. Therefore,
    instead of no longer overly focusing on the ACE-2 binding, it will now overly focus binding to furin enzymatic processes instead -aka cleavage, etc. To keep it sweet, short and simple, this variant should be mild, however, in expressive terms due to the
    no longer placed Q52R amino, it will "bind" to enzymatic processes, thus causing myriad reactions of sorts. Hopefully the "reactive" process will be kept minimal as long there is less accumulative unmetabolised synthetic folic acid in the blood plasma.

This is indicative of a possible conflict within the furin cleavage, aka protease thus causing apoptosis (cellular death) cascade instead of forming new replication. This is now an open possibility unlike previous variants which would occur but on a rare occasion. This, we will have to see with validation of reports. Again, those who are taking vitamins, please resort to taking real food folate, with of course, vitamin C as "placeholder" to make it 'last longer' in your blood plasma, because this variant will have the capability to hijack SFA on a more repetitive basis.

This is more of a warning... instead of just information. I understand now why health officials have greater concern about this particular variant.

Edit: This variant has the potential to end covid once for all... but we will have to see about that.

That is all.

-An

Additional info:
    https://www.timesnownews.com/health/...experts/836603

Each breath a gift...

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Anu Raman (15th September 2022), Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Harmony (13th September 2022), pueblo (28th March 2023), Sunny (13th September 2022)

5. Link to Post #63
    Language
    English
    Thanks

EDIBLE MUSHROOMS FOR HEALTH
    Email message today 12/2/22 from:
    Ocean Robbins <ocean@email.foodrevolution.org>

"What’s brown, white, yellow, or beige and is shown to prevent cancer?

If you guessed mushrooms, you’re right!

One landmark study concluded that women who consumed even a slice of cooked mushroom daily were 64% less likely to develop breast cancer.

In the free Food For Health Masterclass, we cover which type of mushrooms to eat, along with 9 other must-have tips.
    You’ll learn:

Which antioxidant-rich drink is shown to help people live longer, be less likely to get Type 2 diabetes, and have lower rates of obesity, heart disease, and cancer.

Which yellow spice can help prevent Alzheimer's, reduce unhealthy levels of inflammation, and lower heart disease risk.

The food that’s been linked with an 8% reduction in risk of death (you only need two tablespoons a day!)
    Are you eating these foods? Find out by watching our most popular masterclass ever!

You’ll also hear some of my dad's heartwarming stories (including what my Grandpa Irv, who founded Baskin-Robbins, said to us on his deathbed.)

>> Watch the free Food For Health Masterclass here.https://thriving.foodrevolution.org/...4008241&jb=510

Yours for healing food wisdom,

Ocean Robbins

P.S. Tens of thousands of people have watched and loved the Food for Health Masterclass. My dad and colleague, John Robbins, and I created it because we want to empower you with the most urgent breakthroughs that you can apply starting right away. Find out what it’s all about right here."
    Each breath a gift...

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Anu Raman (3rd December 2022), Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), East Sun (4th December 2022), Harmony (3rd December 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th April 2023), Parsi-X (28th March 2023), Sue (Ayt) (3rd December 2022)

7. Link to Post #64
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Politicians Make New Attempt to Ban Supplements
    Analysis by Dr. Joseph Mercola
    December 13, 2022
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...bid=1668095107

"STORY AT-A-GLANCE
    Proposed legislation is calling for a federal database for dietary supplements, which requires supplement makers to submit information to the FDA
    Known as mandatory product listing (MPL) for dietary supplements, supporters claim it’s a way for the FDA to know what products are on the market and what ingredients they include
    Opponents suggest the move, which is redundant and burdensome for small supplement companies, could ultimately give the FDA more power to ban supplements from the market
    MPL could pave the way for the FDA to gain premarket approval power — changing access to supplements as we know it
    Multinational companies like Bayer, Nestle, Unilever, Proctor & Gamble and Clorox have also been buying up supplement companies at a frenzied pace.
    In 2018, there were 83 such transactions; this rose to 137 in 2021

The U.S. supplement market was valued at $48.4 billion in 2021, with an expected compounded annual growth rate of 8.9%.1 In the U.S., where 80% of Americans use dietary supplements, the industry is viewed as trustworthy by the majority of adults (79%).2 However, access to high-quality supplements is continually being threatened by legislation, along with corporate mergers and acquisitions.

Proposed legislation is calling for a federal database for dietary supplements, which could pave the way for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to gain premarket approval power — changing access to supplements as we know it.

Mandatory Product Listing for Supplements May Be Coming
    In April 2022, Sens. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Mike Braun, R-Ind., introduced the Dietary Supplement Listing Act of 2022.3 The Act would require supplement makers to provide information about their products to the FDA, including (but not limited to):4

A list of all ingredients
    An electronic copy of the label
    Allergen statements
    Health and structure/function claims
    Known as mandatory product listing (MPL) for dietary supplements, supporters claim it's a way for the FDA to know what products are on the market and what ingredients they include. But opponents suggest the move, which is burdensome for small supplement companies, could ultimately give the FDA more power to ban supplements from the market. According to Natural Products Insider:5

"Pete Evich, vice president of the lobbying firm Van Scoyoc Associates in the nation's capital, cited 'immense pressure' from MPL proponents to get the proposal into an omnibus bill … Durbin is expected to lobby aggressively for MPL during the lame-duck session."

Why the Push for Mandatory Product Listing?
    The information that MPL would require is already available via existing sources, including facility registrations and product labels, which include ingredients and dosing information readily available for the public to see. The National Institutes of Health Dietary Supplement Label Database also contains some supplement label information.

Michael McGuffin, president of the American Herbal Products Association (AHPA), told Nutritional Outlook, "We keep … wonder[ing] why the reporting requirement is so redundant. It requires submission of not just the label but also a whole bunch of information that's already on the label … You gotta ask this question: Should American taxpayers pay for two databases?"6

Meanwhile, a prominent concern is that along with being unnecessary and burdensome, MPL could turn into a tool for premarket approval, which the FDA could use to keep dietary supplements off the market. Daniel Fabricant, president and CEO of the Natural Products Association (NPA), explained to Nutritional Outlook:7

"The thing is, if the safeguards were there" — meaning language built into the bill to clearly state that the law doesn't let FDA reject any database submissions — "they would be specifically spelled out. They would say, 'Hey, nothing in this act would allow the Secretary to remove an ingredient that isn't the subject of final agency action.'

… That would give you a safe harbor, but we haven't seen any language here that would present that [in the current bills]. And, again, if the goal is … to get FDA labels? OK, those would meet that goal.

Now, if the goal is something else, well then people need to be honest about what that goal is. If that goal is to get FDA an administrative tool that's in effect premarket approval? Yeah, that's not going to work at all. Everyone is opposed to that."

There's also the possibility that MPL would bring the U.S. closer to adopting universal limits on supplement dosages and formulas — a move that would also restrict consumer's access to therapeutic levels of such products. According to Alliance for Natural Health USA:8

"As we've seen in issues like GMO-labeling, where some states required labeling of GMO foods and others didn't until federal law pre-empted state labeling laws, big companies don't like dealing with a patchwork of regulations.

Mega-corporations doing business across the world would likely welcome harmonized levels of supplements so they can sell their products on the world market without having to change formulations or labels.

Higher-end products would be eliminated because they wouldn't meet the 'harmonized' nutrient levels, and all that would be left are the most basic, cookie-cutter products that don't support patient needs but make the most money — think of the supplements you see at CVS, or Walgreen's, etc."

'We Need To Be Aware of FDA's History'
    Given FDA's history of attacking dietary supplements, MPL needs to be viewed with extreme caution, particularly with regard to what it could morph into in the years to come via "regulatory drift."9

Supporters have claimed an MPL database would help protect consumers by keeping fraudulent or adulterated products off the market, but even this is misleading, since criminals could easily submit fraudulent labels. AHPA's McGuffin explained:10

"Again, we don't see any words in there that say, 'This is premarket approval.' We don't see any words in there that say, 'This could never become premarket approval.'

And that's why we've continued to push back on that detail. If the language is cleaned up, then we'd be back to, 'Could somebody please clarify with a great deal of certainty why this is needed, because we're still at that point of we don't really see the need. We think it's redundant to FDA's existing authority to get as many labels as it wants.'

We think it's unlikely to work because … the companies that we really want pushed out of the market are those creepy-creeps that sell products that say 'dietary supplements' and contain undeclared drugs. But we don't think that this will fix that, because they'll just register. And then, apparently, they're compliant.

And then we're also concerned about potential regulatory drift. Where does FDA go with this over the next 10 or 15 years? It's not crazy to think, or I would be naïve to think, that based on decades and decades of history, we should assume that FDA will treat this exactly as we think it should be treated.

I think anybody with experience in the trade would have to agree that we need to be aware of FDA's history, which is to seek narrowing of availability of natural products and dietary supplements …"

Another Threat: FDA's 'New Dietary Ingredient' Guidance
    Another threat to dietary supplements that could also turn into a preapproval system is the FDA's New Dietary Ingredient (NDI) Guidance.11 An NDI, under the FDA's definition, is any "dietary ingredient that was not marketed in the United States in a dietary supplement before October 15, 1994." Manufacturers that want to market a dietary supplement containing an NDI must notify the FDA about the ingredients.

While large corporations will have no problem complying with FDA's burdensome NDI requirements, many small supplement makers may be pushed out of the market as a result. Alliance for Natural Health USA noted:12

"Simply put, the FDA is trying to install a quasi pre-approval system for 'new' supplements — those introduced to the market after 1994. In its revised guidance document explaining how they intend to implement this provision of the law, the FDA has signaled its intention to treat many, many common supplements as 'new' and thus subject to the onerous NDI requirements before they can come to market.

Note that the law passed by Congress only calls for a premarket notification system for 'new' supplements, but the FDA has tried to usurp power to turn this into a premarket approval system like the one they have for drugs. An economic analysis estimated that, if implemented as is, the NDI guidance could lead to the elimination of over 41,000 products from store shelves."

Is the FDA Intent on Turning Supplements Into 'Drugs'?
    The FDA recently concluded that beta-nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), an antiaging ingredient, cannot be marketed or sold in dietary supplements,13 because it was investigated as a pharmaceutical drug.14

The conclusion came in response to an NDI notification submitted for NMN. The takedown of NMN is a harbinger of things to come, according to Chris Masterjohn, who has a Ph.D. in nutritional sciences. He tweeted that the FDA's ruling that NMN is "an article authorized for investigation as a new drug," is a "backdoor into essentially banning all supplements that do anything useful."15

The key narrative continues to be the FDA honing in on the most successful supplements and essentially turning them into pharmaceutical products. Masterjohn continued:16

"I am not a lawyer and I am not an expert on FDA regulations, but I believe the FDA's interpretation … means that the following will happen: a) company A wants to make a health claim for a supplement. They have to fill out an IND [investigational new drug]. b) company B does not want to do that.

They want to sell their supplement and make no claims. However, company A filled out an IND. Now, FDA concludes company B's supplement is a drug.

With this interpretation, what will happen is slowly but surely everything on the market will be chipped off from "dietary supplements" and stacked onto "drugs" because companies that want to do research studies to show health effects will have to fill out INDs.

Once they fill out an IND, according to FDA's current interpretation, that thing has become a drug, can no longer be a supplement, and is no longer a nutrient or food. In short, the FDA is completely unhinged."

Big Corporations Taking Over Supplement Companies
    Meanwhile, multinational companies like Bayer, Nestle, Unilever, Proctor & Gamble and Clorox have been buying up supplement companies at a frenzied pace. In 2018, there were 83 such transactions. This rose to 137 in 2021.17 For instance, Nestle Health Science, a division of Nestle, now owns:18

Pure Encapsulations

Douglas Foods

Garden of Life

Vital Proteins

Nuun

Wobenzym

Persona Nutrition

Genestra

Orthica

Minami

AOV

Klean Athlete

Bountiful, which owns Solgar, Osteo Bi-Flex, Puritan's Pride, Ester-C and Sundown

"Several of these brands are higher quality supplement companies," Alliance for Natural Health USA noted.

"What will happen to them now that they are owned by mega-corporations that have not historically had core natural health principles as the foundation of their businesses? We've spoken to several of the largest and highest quality brands that have not been purchased; they have confirmed that larger companies have made several unsuccessful attempts to purchase them."19

Why are there continued attempts to make supplements drugs and for mega-corporations to acquire their makers? "Where there's money to be made, big players will want to cash in," Alliance for Natural Health explained.20 The end result for consumers could be disastrous, however, including restricted access to supplements and inferior products on the market:21

"Overall, this level of consolidation isn't good for competition, because just a small number of companies can make decisions that affect our supplement access, and many of them do not share the values of small, independent companies who go into business to fill a need in the natural health sector.

Issues over quality of supplements and access to higher dosages become the decision of a smaller and smaller contingent of companies — this is not good from a health freedom standpoint."

- Sources and References
    1, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Alliance for Natural Health USA November 15, 2022
    2 Nutraingredients-usa.com October 22, 2021
    3, 5 Natural Products Insider November 22, 2022
    4 Dick Durban April 26, 2022
    6, 7, 9, 10 Nutritional Outlook May 31, 2022
    11 FDA, New Dietary Ingredients in Dietary Supplements, Background for Industry
    13 Dicentra November 14, 2022
    14 Natural Products Insider November 10, 2022
    15, 16 Twitter, Chris Masterjohn November 14, 2022
    Each breath a gift...

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), East Sun (14th December 2022), Ewan (14th December 2022), Harmony (13th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th April 2023), onevoice (14th December 2022)

9. Link to Post #65
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Vitamin D Reduced Dementia Risk by 40%
    by Dr. Joseph Mercola
    March 27, 2023
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...bid=1756437160

"STORY AT-A-GLANCE
    A study in a cohort of 12,388 persons showed that vitamin D exposure over 10 years could lower the risk of dementia by 40%; women in the study experienced a greater benefit than men
    There are 50 million people worldwide with dementia and experts estimate that number will nearly triple by 2050; vitamin D deficiency is also a widespread problem with a worldwide prevalence of up to 1 billion people
    Vitamin D has a neuroprotective effect, can reduce the percentage of people who move from prediabetes to diabetes, and can help prevent and/or treat certain cancers, gastrointestinal diseases, uterine fibroids, lupus, obesity, and neurodegenerative diseases such as multiple sclerosis
    There is a synergistic effect with magnesium, vitamin K2 and calcium and an imbalance may raise the risk of heart attack and stroke; the only way to determine how much sun exposure or supplementation you need is to test your vitamin D level

In this 18-minute video, retired nurse educator John Campbell details the results of a 2023’ study1 demonstrating the effect that vitamin D deficiency has on the development of Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia.
    At this point, there is simply no question that optimizing vitamin D levels is a crucial part of maintaining optimal health.

Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, also referred to as calciferol. It can be found naturally in some foods and is produced endogenously when your skin is exposed to ultraviolet rays from the sun. Vitamin D supplementation in the U.S. is available as vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) and vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol).2

If you're unsure of your vitamin D levels, it's important to get tested. Seeking to optimize your vitamin D can potentially help you live longer since low levels have been associated with an increased risk of several health conditions,3 some of which increase your risk of premature death.

The data demonstrating the efficacy of vitamin D in your health continue to mount and, as Campbell notes in his presentation, “This is cheap, it's natural, it doesn't cost anything and we're not paying thousands of dollars per year to a pharmaceutical company.”4

Vitamin D Deficiency and Dementia
    The researchers in the featured study5 note that despite vitamin D deficiency having been associated with dementia in past studies, the role it plays remains unclear. The researchers gathered data from 12,388 persons from the National Alzheimer's Coordinating Center who were dementia-free and had an average age of 71 at the time of enrollment.

The researchers measured baseline exposure to vitamin D and compared dementia-free survival between the groups of individuals who were exposed to vitamin D and those who were not. Vitamin D exposure was measured as taking vitamin D3, vitamin D2 or vitamin D3 plus calcium. The results showed that across all these groups, exposure to vitamin D was associated with a significantly longer time period without dementia and a lower incidence rate overall.

The researchers controlled for other covariates such as gender, cognitive status and apolipoprotein E (APOE) ε4. As Campbell explains,6 the APOE gene is known to increase the risk of dementia in those who carry it. Approximately 25% of the population carries one APOE gene and 3% carries two. Individuals who have two genes will have a much higher risk than those who carry one.

The data suggest that all formulations of vitamin D tracked in the study reduced the incidence of dementia by 40% when compared to those who had no exposure. Interestingly, the effect was significantly greater in females versus males and in those with normal cognitive ability versus those who began the study with mild cognitive impairment (MCI).7

The effect was also greater in those who were not APOE carriers versus those who were. The researchers concluded that “vitamin D has potential for dementia prevention, especially in the high-risk strata.”

Campbell notes that this was a large effect and while it does not prove correlation or causation, it suggests the results are more likely to be causal. The researchers plotted out the data published in figure A, which showed benefit to those exposed to vitamin D began roughly at the end of the first year and continued to confer greater benefit the longer the participants were followed.

Over the 10 years, Campbell notes that 2,696 of the participants got dementia. Of those, 2,017 (74.8%) had no exposure to vitamin D while only 679 (25.2%) who took vitamin D were diagnosed with dementia, which he calls an “impressive protective effect.”8

Vitamin D Has Neuroprotective Properties
    Campbell asks why people with the APOE gene do not experience the same benefit from vitamin D as those who do not have the gene. He hypothesizes that they may require higher doses of vitamin D or the gene may override the benefits of the vitamin.9

The researchers from the current study10 note that 50 million people worldwide currently have dementia and the number is expected to nearly triple by 2050. Vitamin D deficiency is also recognized as a widespread problem, “with a worldwide prevalence of up to 1 billion.”

Past research has demonstrated that vitamin D has a neuroprotective effect. It is known to help clear amyloid beta aggregates in the brain,11,12 which is a hallmark sign of Alzheimer's disease. The researchers know that vitamin D has also demonstrated a neuroprotective effect against amyloid beta-induced tau hyperphosphorylation,13 which is implicated in neurofibrillary tangles,14 another structural abnormality found in Alzheimer's disease.

Past studies have also implicated vitamin D deficiency in the increased risk of dementia. In a study published by the University of South Australia, researchers found those with the strongest association were in people with vitamin D levels below 10 ng/ml (25 nmol/L).15

Low vitamin D levels were also associated with lower brain volumes, and genetic analyses suggested there’s a causal relationship between vitamin D deficiency and dementia.16 Further, the researchers found that up to 17% of dementia cases in some populations may be prevented if people raised their vitamin D levels to 20 ng/ml (50 nmol/L).

In a separate study17 of 1,658 people over a 5.6-year period, vitamin D deficiency was associated with a substantially increased risk of all-cause dementia and Alzheimer’s. When measuring Alzheimer's disease specifically, severe vitamin D deficiency was linked to a 122% increased risk as compared to a 69% increased risk for those who were moderately deficient.18

Deficiency Raises the Risk of More Health Concerns
    Campbell notes that past research has demonstrated that people taking vitamin D experience protection against progressing from prediabetes to diabetes. He notes that those who are more likely to get diabetes are also more likely to get dementia, so with the association of vitamin D and a lower risk of dementia, it “seems to make perfect sense to give these people extra vitamin D.”19

Vitamin D also has a significant beneficial impact on cancer risk, possibly both preventing and treating the disease. In a 2020 reanalysis of a 2018 study20 that measured the results of giving participants just 2,000 IUs a day, data showed a 17% reduced risk for metastatic cancer and death and as much as a 38% reduced risk in those who maintained a healthy weight.21

This information is significant because initially this same study had concluded that vitamin D doesn’t reduce the overall risk of cancer at all, although it did “hint” that it might decrease the risk of cancer deaths. So. In the reanalysis, the team looked specifically at the risk of metastatic or fatal cancer.

When they did that, they found that “body mass may influence the relationship between vitamin D and a decreased risk of advanced cancer.” One of the corresponding authors, Dr. Paulette Chandler, commented:

“These findings suggest that vitamin D may reduce the risk of developing advanced cancers, Vitamin D is a supplement that's readily available, cheap, and has been used and studied for decades. Our findings — especially the strong risk reduction seen in individuals with normal weight — provide new information about the relationship between vitamin D and advanced cancer.”

In still other studies, a 2020 review22 published in the British Journal of Cancer noted that low vitamin D levels were associated with poor colorectal cancer survival and a 2019 review23 of 10 randomized controlled trials found the reduction in mortality from cancer was “significant.”

As I have written in the past, research has also shown that higher levels of vitamin D can help prevent and/or treat gastrointestinal diseases,24 inflammatory rheumatic diseases,25 lupus,26 obesity27 and neurodegenerative diseases such as multiple sclerosis.28

And, as I found in my own peer-reviewed study,29 vitamin D also reduces the risk for COVID-19 infection. Also, as I discuss in more detail below, vitamin D works even better when it’s balanced with other nutrients, such as magnesium and vitamin K2.

A 2022 study30 also examined how Vitamin D may affect the development and progression of uterine fibroids. These are muscular tumors that grow in the wall of the uterus. They're nearly always benign, but symptoms are difficult to live with. They occur in up to 70% of white women and more than 80% of black women, sometimes without symptoms.31

The objective of the study was to find a treatment for fibroids that would preserve fertility. They enrolled 1,610 women and found that serum levels of vitamin D equal to or greater than 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L) were associated with an estimated 9.7% reduction in the growth of fibroids when compared to people with vitamin D levels less than 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L).

The researchers also found a 22% reduction in the incidence of fibroids and a 32% increase in fibroid tissue loss in individuals whose vitamin D levels were equal to or greater than 30 ng/mL (75 nmol/L) when compared to individuals whose levels were less.

The Interplay of Vitamin D, Calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin K2
    If you are unable to maintain optimal levels of vitamin D from sensible sun exposure, it's important to remember there are synergistic effects with other nutrients when you're supplementing. When taking a vitamin D supplement, you may also need to increase your intake of magnesium, vitamin K2 MK7 and calcium.

Together, these vitamins work in tandem, and an imbalance is why calcium supplements have been associated with an increased risk of heart attack and stroke, and why some experience symptoms of vitamin D toxicity. Here's a summary of some of the most important correlations:

•Excessive vitamin D without adequate vitamin K2 may cause overabsorption of calcium, which in turn may result in calcium deposits in the tissue. Part of the explanation for these adverse side effects is that vitamin K2 keeps calcium in its appropriate place — in your teeth and bones and out of soft tissues and arteries.

While the optimal ratios between vitamin D and vitamin K2 have yet to be established, taking somewhere between 100 and 200 micrograms (mcg) of K2 is beneficial. Telltale signs of vitamin K2 insufficiency include osteoporosis, heart disease and diabetes. You’re also more likely to be deficient if you rarely eat vitamin K2-rich foods.

•Vascular calcification is also a side effect of low magnesium, so when taking vitamin D3, you need both vitamin K2 and magnesium to make sure everything is working properly.

•Maintaining an appropriate calcium-to-magnesium ratio is also important, as magnesium helps keep calcium in your cells so they can function better. Based on your personal health needs an ideal ratio of calcium-to-magnesium may vary from 1-to-1 to an optimal 1-to-2.

•Magnesium and vitamin K2 also complement each other, as magnesium helps lower blood pressure, which is an important component of heart disease.

What Are Optimal Levels of Vitamin D?
    I’ve long recommended a vitamin D level of 60 to 80 ng/ml (150-200 nmol/L) for optimal health and disease prevention. A level upward of 100 ng/mL also appears safe and beneficial for certain conditions, especially cancer.

Remember that the only way to determine how much sun exposure is enough and/or how much vitamin D3 you need to take is to measure your vitamin D level, ideally twice a year. The D*Action Project by GrassrootsHealth32 is a cost-effective way to do this, while simultaneously progressing valuable research.

To participate, simply purchase a D*Action Measurement Kit and follow the registration instructions included. If you need to supplement, then GrassrootsHealth also has a vitamin D calculator33 to help you estimate the dose you need to reach your target level.

You’ll input your weight, current vitamin D supplement, serum level and target level to find the maintenance dose needed to reach your desired level within three months. Once you’ve confirmed your vitamin D levels via testing, remember to retest in three to four months to make sure you’ve reached your target level.

If you have, then you know you’re taking the correct dosage and/or getting the right amount of sun exposure. If you’re still low (or have reached a level above 80 ng/ml), you’ll need to adjust your dosage accordingly and retest again in another three to four months."

Sources and References
    1, 5 Diagnosis, Assessment and Disease Monitoring, 2023; doi: 10.1002/dad2.12404
    2 ClinCalc.com, It’s Time to Say “Goodbye” to Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol)
    3 Aging and Disease, 2017;8(3)
    4 YouTube, March 13, 2023, 14:49
    6 YouTube, March 13, 2023, 4:09
    7 Diagnosis, Assessment and Disease Monitoring, 2023; doi: 10.1002/dad2.12404 Abstract/Discussion/Bullets
    8 YouTube, March 13, 2023, 8:20
    9 YouTube, March 13, 2023, 10:36
    10 Diagnosis, Assessment and Disease Monitoring, 2023; doi: 10.1002/dad2.12404 Background para 1 top
    11 Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 2012;29(1)
    12 Science Daily, March 6, 2012
    13 International Journal of Molecular Science 2020;21(12)
    14 Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 2013;33(1)
    15 The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2022;116(2)
    16 University of South Australia, June 14, 2022
    17 Neurology, 2014;83(10)
    18 Science Daily, August 16, 2014, para 2,3
    19 YouTube, March 13, 2023, 00:23-00:50
    20 JAMA Network, 2020;3(11)
    21 The ASCO Post. November 19, 2020
    22 BJC, 2020;123
    23 Bioscience Reports, 2019;39(11)
    24 Scientific Reports, 2020;10(21641)
    25 Intechopen, 2018; doi: 10.5772/intechopen.88677
    26 Helio, September 4, 2015
    27 Clinical Nutrition, 2012;32(3)
    28 PLOS, August 25, 2015
    29 Nutrients. 2020 Nov; 12(11): 3361
    30 Fertility and Sterility, 2022; doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2022.08.851
    31 Gynecology and Obstetrics 2020; doi: 10.1002/ijgo.13102 Abstract/top
    32 GrassrootsHealth, D*Action Project
    33 GrassrootsHealth, Vitamin D Calculator
    Each breath a gift...

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Antagenet (29th September 2023), avid (28th March 2023), Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Ewan (28th March 2023), Harmony (28th March 2023), Johnnycomelately (4th April 2023), pueblo (28th March 2023), Sue (Ayt) (28th March 2023)

11. Link to Post #66
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 times in 247 posts

anyone here taking medicinal mushrooms? Ive been taking reishi and lions mane to decompress and cordyceps has helped me lift brain fog and almost make me feel extremely "awake and aware" the first few times i had cordyceps i felt like my brain just woke up from a long slumber.

Am currently using Life Cykle mushroom extract drops sublingually and powdered reishi and lions mane from SuperFeast from Australia.

Would be grateful if anyone can recommend high spectrum products that contain the actual mushroom fruiting body rather than the extracts.
    Last edited by Parsi-X; 28th March 2023 at 19:01.
    Humata Huxta Huvarsta

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Parsi-X For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Docim369 (8th April 2023), Ewan (4th April 2023), Harmony (28th March 2023), Johnnycomelately (4th April 2023), palehorse (8th April 2023), pueblo (28th March 2023), Sue (Ayt) (28th March 2023)

13. Link to Post #67
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 times in 981 posts

Vitamin D supplements reduce suicide attempts by 50% overall, and 68% in African Americans: US Veterans Administration. Huge study, near a million veterans, split into a control group and the ones taking supplements.

As suicide is indicative of depression, anybody who feels down may be helped by this info.

New US Vit D research

Dr. John Campbell
    2.74M subscribers

146,672 views Apr 3, 2023

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Ewan (4th April 2023), Harmony (6th April 2023), onawah (5th April 2023), Sue (Ayt) (8th April 2023)

15. Link to Post #68
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 times in 981 posts

TIL Lion’s Mane Mushroons. “Evidence of neuroregenerative benefits” (1:15:20 - 1:16:15).

I have not searched Avalon for prior references nor the wide web, thought it interesting enough to just post right up and ask current readers about. To me, Dr. JC is credible.

Reminds me of what what Paul Rosolie said (post#35485 on up at the ranch, yesterday, sorry no time stamp) about 3 Amazon plants (not specified/identified) that cured infection, that western medicine does not know that.

Triggernometry interview, perceptive questions

Dr. John Campbell
    2.74M subscribers

28,927 views Apr 5, 2023
    “Great discussion with Francis and Konstanin”

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Antagenet (29th September 2023), Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Ewan (8th April 2023), Harmony (6th April 2023), Sue (Ayt) (8th April 2023)

17. Link to Post #69
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,284 times in 639 posts

Withot reading throw all above
    Magnesium is nr one for blodpreeaure anyway, I take it before I go to bed, helps you sleep as well.
    Vitamin D is vital if you don't get enough sunlight, much good talks about that was a major subject keyword banned to could stop COVID, now even on youtube for some reason.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rawhide68 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Ewan (8th April 2023), Harmony (8th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (8th April 2023), Sue (Ayt) (8th April 2023)

19. Link to Post #70
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

Quote Posted by Parsi-X (here)
    anyone here taking medicinal mushrooms? Ive been taking reishi and lions mane to decompress and cordyceps has helped me lift brain fog and almost make me feel extremely "awake and aware" the first few times i had cordyceps i felt like my brain just woke up from a long slumber.

Am currently using Life Cykle mushroom extract drops sublingually and powdered reishi and lions mane from SuperFeast from Australia.

Would be grateful if anyone can recommend high spectrum products that contain the actual mushroom fruiting body rather than the extracts.

I am doing tea with Heishi mushroom also known as "Lingzhi" in Thailand, I am not using extract in powder form or pills.. I am using the dried one, despite it is a hard mushroom it won't last much time after harvesting, best option to preserve is to dry it and slice as you need.. usually 2 thin slices is enough for a cup of hot tea, taste not really good, but I can feel the benefits, just don't drink it right before bed, it is a bit diuretic, also a small cup is all you need. Mine I do infusion for almost until it cool down, I don't drink it very hot.

I recommend to buy any sort of mushrooms in the fresh market or chinese fresh market, it is indeed the best option to get the raw thing and not the extract which is processed using same equipment for a variety of other things.. I mean you always will be getting something else with the extract, even if a little tiny bit.. some sellers they even write in the fine prints "it may contain soy, corn or something else".

Also "Chaga" shroom is a strong immune booster, there is some pigments in the back of the shroom body which is a very strong antioxidant and is even better than Lingzhi, can be ingested as tea as well, or just add on top of the food, strong taste but not bad.

cordyceps I had never tried I can't say anything about, but I saw they have it in dried form for sale, maybe I will try some next time.

In general I feel great with Lingzhi, I would prefer take Chaga instead, but it is not easy to find here and I don't want to take it in powder form simply because I don't know what they added in there beside the mushroom of course... the famous brands are too expensive, really a rip off and do not worth the price, specially when you know how much it cost.. I see all these super inflated brands today selling the same thing I can get for a fraction of the price, in the end you are paying to ****ty marketing.
    Last edited by palehorse; 8th April 2023 at 09:14.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Harmony (21st April 2023), onawah (21st April 2023), Parsi-X (9th April 2023), Sunny (8th April 2023)

21. Link to Post #71
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Glycine to Increase Longevity and Decrease Depression
    by Dr. Joseph Mercola
    April 20, 2023
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...bid=1777662937

"STORY AT-A-GLANCE
    Glycine has been shown to extend lifespan in animal studies and mitigate chronic disease and disability, thereby increasing healthspan
    Glycine has anticancer effects, reduces insulin and alleviates neuroinflammation; it may also protect against depression and is essential for collagen synthesis
    To gain all of glycine’s healing potential, doses of 10 to 20 grams a day may be optimal
    You need at least 12 grams of glycine daily for optimal collagen turnover, plus another 3 grams per day to form glutathione
    Excess methionine from eating animal products without the connective tissues decreases longevity, but adding glycine will reduce the methionine/glycine ratio to counter the negative side effects of excess methionine
    Glycine has neurotransmitter qualities, improves depression and is also useful for improving sleep quality by helping relaxation at night by being very similar to the neurotransmitter GABA
    Glycine, a nonessential amino acid, meaning your body can make it, but most of us as we age are simply unable to make enough of it, especially if our dietary intake is low because we are not eating enough connective tissue and collagen in our diet.

New research is emerging showing glycine is a powerful longevity enhancer, one that's not only inexpensive but also has a pleasant, slightly sweet flavor. In fact, glycine is sometimes used as a sugar substitute, and I personally take 1 teaspoon with each of my two meals and before bedtime for its health-enhancing qualities.

Research shows glycine extends lifespan in worms, mice and rats while improving health in models of age-related disease.1 If there were any doubt about its importance, consider that collagen — the most abundant protein in your body2 — is made mostly of glycine. It's also a precursor to glutathione, a powerful antioxidant that declines with age.

As noted by Siim Land, author of "Metabolic Autophagy," in the video above,3 however, there are two glycine benefits that appear key to its actions as a veritable fountain of youth — inducing autophagy and mimicking the longevity benefits of methionine restriction.4

How Glycine May Influence Aging
    Glycine is a receptor for the enzyme glycine N-methyltransferase (GNMT), which plays a role in methionine clearance, according to a review published in Ageing Research Reviews.5 Glycine is the acceptor for GNMT, an enzyme responsible for methionine clearance. GNMT converts glycine to sarcosine, "an autophagy-inducing metabolite."6

Further, in mice deficient in GNMT, levels of free methionine may be seven-fold higher, while S-adenosyl-L-methionine may increase by 35-fold.7 This matters, as methionine is involved in cancer cell growth and metabolism, while methionine restriction inhibits cancer cell growth.8

Methionine restriction has been shown to improve longevity, extending lifespan in mice while lowering levels of insulin, glucose and insulin-like growth factor 1. Limiting methionine also yields a host of additional antiaging benefits in ice, like reducing liver damage after exposure to dangerous amounts of acetaminophen and reducing overall frailty.9

"Since a low level of methionine signifies a low nutrient state, methionine restriction is thought to act as a caloric restriction mimetic," the Ageing Research Reviews report explains.10 Glycine, in turn, the researchers noted, "may prolong life by serving as a methionine restriction mimetic."11 It does this because it lowers the methionine/glycine ratio which may be more important than the absolute level of methionine consumption.

You Need Glycine for Collagen Synthesis
    Indeed, in a study on mice using data from the National Institute on Aging's Interventions Testing Program, a team of scientists revealed that feeding a diet with 8% glycine increased lifespan significantly, by 4% to 6%, in males and females, while offering additional benefits like reduced risk of dying from lung cancer.12

Some animal studies have shown up to a 28.4% median increase in lifespan when eating a diet containing 8% or 12% glycine.13 There are also direct antiaging effects via collagen synthesis. Land explains:14

"Glycine also has a very important role in antiaging directly by helping to reduce wrinkles, and collagen synthesis. Glycine makes up every third amino acid in collagen, which is why there is such a large requirement of glycine for optimal collagen turnover.

The less collagen or glycine you consume, the slower your collagen turnover is. Slow collagen turnover increases the damage that occurs to your collagen, such as glycation and oxidation, and reduces collagen deposition into tissues.

Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body, making up approximately 30% of all your protein by mass. It makes up your hair, teeth, skin, nails, organs, arteries, cartilage, bones, tendons and ligaments. Collagen is literally the glue that holds you together. So making sure that you preserve your collagen is very important for slowing down aging, especially when it comes to wrinkles.

Starting at the age of 20 you lose just under 10% of your skin's collagen content every decade. So, by the time you're 75 years old you would have lost 50% of your skin's collagen content … up until very recently it was thought that the collagen turnover was very slow and it only happened over the course of many years — over the entire lifespan.However, recently it was shown that collagen turnover happens every day and is part of your daily protein turnover."

Glycine Protects Against Age-Related Disease
    Also significant is glycine's potential to mitigate chronic disease and disability, thereby increasing healthspan throughout your body. Glycine receptors exist in the central nervous system, for instance, which means glycine acts as a neurotransmitter.15 The Ageing Research Reviews study compiled multiple examples of glycine's ability to fight age-related disease in animals, including:16

Suppressed tumor growth in mice with melanoma17

Decreased fasting glucose, insulin, triglyceride and insulin-like growth factor 1 in male rats18

Preserved muscle mass and reduced inflammatory markers in mice with cancer cachexia19

Improved endothelial function in older rats20

Even intermittently restricting methionine leads to benefits like improved glucose homeostasis, reduced obesity and protection against fatty liver

Reduced weight gain and improved bone mineral density in a mouse model designed to mimic postmenopausal bone loss21

Protected against cardiac hypertrophy22

Alleviated neuroinflammation and protected against cognitive deficits in mice with neurodegeneration23

Human trials confirm what the animal models suggest — that glycine is protective against a range of chronic diseases. In a study of 60 people with metabolic syndrome, 15 grams of glycine a day for three months had reduced oxidative stress and improved systolic blood pressure.24

In older adults, limited availability of glycine and cysteine may lead to decreased synthesis of glutathione — composed of the three amino acids cysteine, glycine and glutamic acid — such that glutathione deficiency is widespread in this population.25 The lack of glutathione, perhaps driven by limited glycine, in older adults may be a key element driving the oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction that lead to age-related degeneration. Land notes:26

"The benefits of glycine generally have to do with improving the blood sugar levels, fasting insulin levels, triglycerides, even lowering the demand for sleep, improving brain function and health, helping with just overall aspects of vitality.

… a lot of the longevity benefits come from the methane restriction and the autophagy stimulation that pretty much helps to clean out the cells from the dysfunctional components as well as boosting glutathione levels, which just enables the body to function with less inflammation and oxidative stress, which is very crucial for aging and it also pretty much buffers against the methionine toxicity."

Glycine With NAC Supports Mitochondrial Health
    Researchers at Baylor College of Medicine also looked into supplementation with a combination of glycine and N-acetylcysteine (NAC), two glutathione precursors known as GlyNAC when taken together.

They had previously shown that young mice deficient in glutathione had mitochondrial dysfunction, and supplementing with GlyNAC in older mice not only improved glutathione deficiency but also mitochondrial impairment, oxidative stress and insulin resistance.27

Additional previous research they conducted in HIV patients28 found GlyNAC supplementation improved "deficits associated with premature aging" in this population.29 This included improvements to oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction, inflammation, endothelial dysfunction, insulin resistance, genotoxicity, strength and cognition.30

A subsequent pilot trial in older humans found similar results, with GlyNAC supplementation for 24 weeks correcting glutathione deficiency and improving multiple measures of health, including:31

Mitochondrial dysfunction

Oxidative stress

Inflammation

Endothelial dysfunction

Insulin resistance

Genomic damage

Cognition

Strength

Gait speed

Exercise capacity

Body fat levels

Waist circumference

Further, GlyNAC supplementation improved four of nine hallmarks of aging associated with most age-related disorders — mitochondrial dysfunction, inflammation, insulin resistance and genomic damage.32 Glycine, the team noted, is an important methyl-group donor. "Methyl groups are abundant in DNA and are important components of multiple cellular reactions. Glycine is also important for normal brain function."33

In addition to supporting brain function,34 supplemental glycine may be useful for the "prevention and control of atherosclerosis, heart failure, angiogenesis associated with cancer or retinal disorders and a range of inflammation-driven syndromes, including metabolic syndrome."35

Glycine's Link to Depression
    As a major neurotransmitter,36 glycine's role in brain health is receiving increasing attention. The results of a 15-year study conducted by University of Florida researchers also suggest it may be involved in depression. The finding relates to a receptor called GPR158. When suppressed in mice, stress-induced depression is less likely.

When they determined the structure of GPR158, they realized it's an amino acid receptor — for glycine. "We were barking up the completely wrong tree before we saw the structure," study author Kirill Martemyanov told Medical News Today. "We said, 'Wow, that's an amino acid receptor. There are only 20, so we screened them right away and only one fit perfectly … it was glycine."37

After learning that GPR158 binds to glycine and acts as a metabotropic glycine receptor, they named it mGlyR.38 The team explained in the journal Science:39

"Glycine signals through mGlyR to inhibit production of the second messenger adenosine 3′,5′-monophosphate. We further show that glycine, but not taurine, acts through mGlyR to regulate neuronal excitability in cortical neurons. These results identify a major neuromodulatory system involved in mediating metabotropic effects of glycine, with implications for understanding cognition and affective states."

Glycine is also useful for improving sleep quality.40 "It can help to relax at night by being very similar to GABA," Land says. "… It's beneficial for … reducing the time it takes to fall asleep. People who ingested 3 grams of glycine within one hour before bedtime saw an improvement in subjective sleep quality, fell asleep faster and were less sleepy during the day."41

How Much Glycine Is Enough?

To gain all of glycine's healing potential, doses of 10, 15, or 20 grams a day may be necessary. Land suggests you need at least 12 grams of glycine daily for optimal collagen turnover, plus another 3 grams per day to form glutathione and other compounds:42

"Your body only makes 3 grams of glycine per day, and if you only consume around 2 to 3 grams of glycine from foods then it means that almost all of us are in a 10-gram glycine deficit every day," he says.

"… I think most people would benefit for at least 5 to 10 grams of glycine a day, which is, uh kind of a moderate amount … if you are eating a lot of muscle meat … or you're just interested in getting more of the benefits of glycine then you can take even up to 20 grams a day."

In addition to supplements, collagen is an outstanding source of glycine. My personal preference is to use a less denatured (unhydrolyzed) organic collagen supplement, as it has a more balanced amino acid profile or, better yet, simply boost your collagen intake by making homemade bone broth using bones and connective tissue from grass fed, organically raised animals."

Sources and References
    1 Ageing Research Reviews March 31, 2023, Highlights
    2 Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2011 Jan; 3(1): a004978
    3 YouTube, Siim Land, Glycine Longevity Benefits Are Amazing – New Study Confirms April 5, 2023
    4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Ageing Research Reviews March 31, 2023
    12 Aging Cell January 23, 2019
    13 Ageing Research Reviews March 31, 2023, Table 1
    14 YouTube, Siim Land, Glycine Longevity Benefits Are Amazing – New Study Confirms April 5, 2023, 5:49, 7:31
    15 Ageing Research Reviews March 31, 2023, Intro
    16 Ageing Research Reviews March 31, 2023, Table 2
    17 Carcinogenesis, Volume 20, Issue 5, May 1999, Pages 793–798
    18 The FASEB Journal April 1, 2011
    19 Clinical Nutrition June 2014, Volume 33, Issue 3, Pages 448-458
    20 Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology June 2015, Volume 93, Number 6
    21 Amino Acids volume 48, pages 791–800 (2016)
    22 Biochemical Pharmacology January 1, 2017
    23 Journal of Neuroinflammation October 15, 2020
    24 Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology June 17, 2013
    25 Innov Aging. 2019 Nov; 3(Suppl 1): S416
    26 YouTube, Siim Land, Glycine Longevity Benefits Are Amazing – New Study Confirms April 5, 2023, 5:49, 7:00
    27 Clinical and Translational Medicine March 27, 2021, Abstract, Background
    28, 30 Biomedicines September 30, 2020
    29 Baylor College of Medicine March 29, 2021
    31 Clinical and Translational Medicine March 27, 2021
    32 Clinical and Translational Medicine March 27, 2021, Section 4.12
    33, 34 Clinical and Translational Medicine March 27, 2021, Section 4.13
    35 Medical Hypotheses January 15, 2019
    36, 38, 39 Science March 30, 2023, Abstract
    37 Medical News Today April 4, 2023
    40 Neuropsychopharmacology. 2015 May; 40(6): 1405–1416
    41 YouTube, Siim Land, Glycine Longevity Benefits Are Amazing – New Study Confirms April 5, 2023, 5:49, 8:50, 11:56
    42 YouTube, Siim Land, Glycine Longevity Benefits Are Amazing – New Study Confirms April 5, 2023, 5:49, 8:50, 13:46
    Each breath a gift...

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Docim369 (21st April 2023), Harmony (21st April 2023), Sue (Ayt) (21st April 2023)

23. Link to Post #72
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The Many Benefits of CoQ10 and Ubiquinol
    by Dr. Joseph Mercola
    August 10, 2023
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...rid=1879271291

https://media.mercola.com/ImageServe...quinol-pdf.pdf

"STORY AT-A-GLANCE
    CoQ10 is a powerful, fat-soluble antioxidant that also has anti-inflammatory effects and plays a role in energy production
    It’s found throughout your body in cell membranes, but it’s most abundant in your heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, spleen, pancreas and adrenal glands
    CoQ10 offers significant benefits for heart health, kidney function, liver disease, migraines and more
    Your production of CoQ10 peaks around the age of 25, then begins to decline; by the age of 65, your body typically produces only about half the amount it did at 25
    Many people, including older adults, those with certain chronic diseases and people taking statin drugs, benefit from ubiquinol supplementation; ubiquinol is the reduced version of CoQ10 that’s more easily absorbed
    Coenzyme Q10 or simply CoQ10, (ubiquinone) is a fat-soluble molecule that is found in all cells of your body.
    It plays a crucial role in the electron transport chain, which is a series of reactions that occur in the mitochondria to generate energy in the form of ATP.1

In addition to its role in energy production, CoQ10 also has antioxidant properties. It can neutralize harmful free radicals and protect cells from oxidative damage. This is particularly important in mitochondria, as the electron transport chain can sometimes leak electrons, leading to the formation of free radicals. CoQ10 helps prevent this leakage and reduces the risk of oxidative stress.

It is worth noting that the quality and composition of CoQ10 supplements can vary. Some commercially available CoQ10 products may be dissolved in vegetable oil, which can affect the interaction between it and other molecules. This may have implications for its respiratory function and potential toxicity for mitochondria.

"CoQ10 is essential for the health of virtually all human tissues and organs," a review in the Journal of Pharmacy & BioAllied Sciences notes.2 While it’s found throughout the body in cell membranes, it’s most abundant in your heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, spleen, pancreas and adrenal glands.3

As the third most consumed dietary supplement,4 CoQ10’s reputation for health and wellness has gotten around, but its clinical relevance is still very much underappreciated. And the same holds true for ubiquinol — the reduced, electron-rich form of CoQ10 that your body produces naturally.

How CoQ10 Benefits Your Health
    CoQ10 protects cellular membranes from oxidative stress induced by free radicals. It also has anti-inflammatory properties. Supplementing with 60 milligrams (mg) to 500 mg of CoQ10 for eight to 12 weeks can significantly reduce tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α), IL-6 and C-reactive protein (CRP);5,6 three measures of widespread inflammation, impacting a number of chronic diseases. CoQ10 also plays a role in a number of other important functions, including:7

Cholesterol metabolism

Regeneration of vitamins C and E

Maintaining lysosomal pH

Sulfur metabolism

Amino acid metabolism

Gene expression

Heart health, however, is CoQ10’s claim to fame. Many conditions, including heart disease, appear to be rooted in mitochondrial dysfunction.8 Cardiac muscle cells have about 5,000 mitochondria per cell,9 where CoQ10 concentrates. For further comparison, mitochondria make up about 35% of the volume of cardiac tissue and only 3% to 8% of the volume of skeletal muscle tissue.10

Further, scavenging of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and a reduction in oxidative stress are an essential part of keeping the heart functioning normally,11 including helping to ward off atrial fibrillation.12

Atrial fibrillation is an abnormal, often rapid, heart rhythm that occurs when the atria, your heart's upper chambers, beat out of sync with the ventricles, the heart's lower chambers. It's a common symptom in those with heart failure or heart disease.

In one study, 102 patients with atrial fibrillation were divided into two groups. One group was given a CoQ10 supplement while the other group was given a placebo. After 12 months of supplementation, 12 people in the placebo group had atrial fibrillation episodes compared to only three people in the CoQ10 group.13 Levels of malondialdehyde, a known biomarker of oxidative stress, also went down significantly in the CoQ10 group.

A systematic review and meta-analysis of cardiovascular risk factors spanning 884 randomized controlled trials with 883,627 participants also found CoQ10 decreased all-cause mortality events.14 Meanwhile, CoQ10 influences several other aspects of heart health, including:

High blood pressure — CoQ10 acts directly on your endothelium, dilating your blood vessels and lowering blood pressure.15,16 CoQ10 also decreases aldosterone, a hormone that makes you retain salt and water.17,18 When aldosterone goes down, excess salt and water are excreted through your kidneys, often causing your blood pressure to go down.
    Stroke — Systemic inflammation, oxidative stress and nerve cell damage play a role in the development of stroke. Research suggests supplementing with CoQ10 can reduce ischemic lesions and improve outcomes in patients who have been treated with a statin drug after having a stroke (statins reduce CoQ10 levels in your body).19
    CoQ10 Benefits Migraines, Kidney Function, NAFLD and More
    If you suffer from migraine headaches, you may be interested to know that CoQ10 may play a preventative role in the condition. A meta-analysis of five studies found CoQ10 was more effective than placebo in reducing the number of migraine days per month, along with migraine duration.20

CoQ10 is also protective of the kidneys and may be useful in cases of acute kidney injury due to drugs like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories, sepsis and other causes. The protective benefits are likely due to CoQ10’s "anti-inflammatory effects, gene expression regulation, enhancement of the activity of antioxidant enzymes, free-radical scavenging, and lipid bilayer membrane stabilization."21

Its ability to reduce oxidative stress makes CoQ10 useful for age-related diseases as well, with some studies suggesting it can increase lifespan in animal models.22 Benefits have also been found for improving fertility in older women and reducing fertility decline in men.23 It may also stop the progression of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).

In one study, 44 patients were divided into two groups. One group was given 100 mg of CoQ10 each day, while the other was given a placebo. After four weeks of supplementation, the group taking CoQ10 dropped weight and had lower levels of serum AST, a blood marker that indicates liver disease and/or damage.24

CoQ10 Levels Decrease With Age
    Your body can naturally make CoQ10, but genetic alterations in metabolism, poor diet, oxidative stress, chronic conditions and aging can all interfere with CoQ10 production and lead to CoQ10 deficiency.

While the optimal daily requirement for CoQ10 isn’t known, it’s been estimated at 500 mg per day. Since only an estimated 5 mg comes from dietary sources, most of this is dependent on being synthesized within your body. Your production of CoQ10 peaks around the age of 25, however, then begins to decline. By the age of 65, your body typically produces only about half the amount it did at 25.25

A CoQ10 deficiency can result, which causes a number of deleterious effects, not the least of which is impaired antioxidant defense against oxidative stress caused by free radicals. According to researchers with Liverpool John Moores University in the U.K.:26

"Primary CoQ10 deficiency can affect any part of the body, but particularly the brain, muscle and kidney tissues, as a consequence of their high energy demands. The severity and time frame of symptoms are variable; severe symptoms may be evident in infancy, whereas mild symptoms may not become apparent until the individual is in their 60s."

In the brain, CoQ10 deficiency can lead to impaired balance and coordination known as ataxia, along with other neurological symptoms. In the kidneys, lack of CoQ10 may cause dysfunction, while in the heart, a weakened heart muscle, similar to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, can occur.27 Further, the U.K. team explained:28

"Secondary deficiencies of CoQ10 typically occur in the mitochondrial myopathies, cardiovascular disease, type II diabetes, chronic kidney disease, liver disease and critical illness. Depletion of CoQ10 in these disorders may compromise cellular antioxidant status and result in impaired mitochondrial function and cellular energy supply, resulting in, for example, heart failure."

If you take statin cholesterol-lowering drugs, be aware that they block HMG coenzyme A reductase in your liver, which is how they reduce cholesterol. But this is also the same enzyme that makes CoQ10, making its depletion likely.

Statin-induced CoQ10 deficiency may be responsible for the myopathic — or relating to muscle control — side effects often attributed to these drugs. Interestingly, LDL cholesterol is the major carrier of CoQ10 in your circulation, so it’s also been suggested that the decrease in CoQ10 among statin users is related to the decrease in LDL.29

The Difference Between CoQ10 and Ubiquinol
    Ubiquinol is the reduced version of CoQ10, also known as ubiquinone. They're the same molecule, but when CoQ10 is reduced it takes on two electrons, which turns it into ubiquinol. In your body, this conversion occurs thousands of times every second inside your mitochondria.

The flipping back and forth between these two molecular forms is part of the redox (oxidation/reduction) process that transforms food into energy. Young people are able to use CoQ10 supplements quite well, but older people do better with ubiquinol, as it's more readily absorbed. You can get some CoQ10 from food as well. Food sources include wild-caught salmon, mackerel, sardines, eggs and organ meats.30

You may also be able to improve your body's conversion of CoQ10 to ubiquinol by eating lots of green leafy vegetables, which are loaded with chlorophyll, in combination with sun exposure.31,32

CoQ10 and Ubiquinol Dosing
    Before we get to the dosing, if you plan on supplementing with CoQ10 you must be absolutely certain the supplement does not contain any vegetable oil in it, as the unsaturated fat will damage the CoQ10 and it will not work optimally.

Most of your CoQ10 requirements are met by making your own. But if your body’s production has declined with age or due to other reasons, like statin drugs, supplementation may be beneficial. Dosing requirements vary depending on your individual situation and needs.

If you're just starting out with ubiquinol, start with 200 mg to 300 mg per day. Within three weeks, your plasma level will typically plateau to its optimum level. After that, you can go down to a 100 mg per day maintenance dose. This dose is typically sufficient for healthy people. If you have an active lifestyle, exercise a lot or are under a lot of stress, you may want to increase your dose to 200 to 300 mg per day.

If you're taking a statin drug you must also take at least 100 to 200 mg of ubiquinol or CoQ10 per day, or more. Supplementation is also appropriate for those with chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), chronic fatigue and autism. Ideally, split the dose up so you’re taking it two or three times a day, rather than taking it all at once, as this will result in higher blood levels.

To find out the best dose for your needs, you'll want to work with your integrative physician. Remember, too, that CoQ10 is a fat-soluble antioxidant, so consume it along with a healthy source of fat for optimal absorption."

Sources and References

1, 30 Cleveland Clinic, What Is CoQ10 March 28, 2022
    2, 3 J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2011 Jul-Sep; 3(3): 466–467
    4 Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf. 2020 Mar;19(2):574-594. doi: 10.1111/1541-4337.12539. Epub 2020 Feb 19
    5 Pharmacol Res. 2017;119:128-136
    6 Pharmacol Res. 2019;148:104290
    7 Int J Mol Sci. 2020 Sep; 21(18): 6695., Intro
    8 Integr Med (Encinitas). 2014;13(4):35-43
    9 PeerJ. 2018;6:e4790
    10 Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2014;307(3):H346-52
    11 Antioxidants (Basel). 2020;9(4)
    12, 13 J Investig Med. 2015;63(5):735-9
    14 Journal of the American College of Cardiology December 13, 2022, Volume 80, Issue 24, Pages 2269-2285
    15 Molecular Aspects of Medicine. 1994;15(1):s257-s263
    16 Circ Res. 1989;65(1):1-21
    17 Am J Physiol. 1965;208:1275-80
    18 Molecular Aspects of Medicine. 1994;15(1):s265-s272
    19 Nutr Neurosci. 2019;22(4):264-272
    20 Acta Neurol Scand. 2019 Mar;139(3):284-293. doi: 10.1111/ane.13051. Epub 2018 Dec 3
    21 Cell Mol Biol Lett. 2022; 27: 57
    22 Nutrients. 2019 Sep; 11(9): 2221., Conclusions
    23 Nutrients. 2019 Sep; 11(9): 2221., Section 3.3
    24 Arch Med Res. 2014;45(7):589-95
    25 Int J Mol Sci. 2020 Sep; 21(18): 6695
    26, 27, 28, 29 Int J Mol Sci. 2020 Sep; 21(18): 6695., 3. Clinical Consequences of CoQ10 Deficiency
    31 Photochem Photobiol. 2013 Mar-Apr;89(2):310-3. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-1097.2012.01230.x. Epub 2012 Sep 26
    32 NutritionFacts.org April 4, 2016
    Each breath a gift...

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Harmony (11th August 2023), Mike (11th August 2023), Sue (Ayt) (11th August 2023)

25. Link to Post #73
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Trashing the Eight Glasses of Water a Day Recommendation
    by Dr. Joseph Mercola
    September 16, 2023
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...mendation.aspx

https://media.mercola.com/ImageServe...dation-pdf.pdf

"STORY AT-A-GLANCE
    Most in the wellness industry will tell you to drink lots of water and limit your salt intake, but that is the opposite of what you want to do
    Not only do these strategies not improve your hydration, but they may also cause many of the issues they’re intended to prevent, including headaches, skin problems, detox problems, decreased immune function and lower metabolism
    By limiting salt, you may initially lower your blood pressure, but it comes at a cost.
    In the long run, it worsens dehydration and ultimately results in higher blood pressure
    Drinking excess water can mimic having insufficient sodium, ultimately aggravating dehydration and high blood pressure
    On a cellular level, hydration allows the cells to maintain their proper structure.
    But water is not the only factor in hydration. The ratios of electrolytes inside and outside the cell also play a role, as does the protein structure of the cell, and the amount of energy the cell has available
    The same strategies that optimize your metabolism and cellular energy production will also ameliorate high blood pressure by relaxing blood vessels and calming the stress response

In the Energy Balance podcast above, health coach and independent health researcher Jay Feldman and Mike Fave, a registered nurse and independent researcher, discuss how your water and salt intake affect the energy production in your body, and your blood pressure. Feldman and Fave both specialize in bioenergetic medicine, pioneered by the late Ray Peat, a biologist and physiologist who was one of the founders of the pro-metabolic diet based on the bioenergetic theory of health.1

I have only recently been diving into their YouTube channel and am very impressed with their ability to share accurate information about health and bioenergetic medicine. After going through 35 podcasts, I have not heard them make any inaccurate statements.

If you are interested in learning more about optimizing mitochondrial energy production and bioenergetic medicine, I would strongly recommend going to their YouTube channel and start listening to their podcasts — but start from episode 1, which is only about 4 years old as I believe this is the best YouTube channel to learn BioEnergetic medicine that can change your life and the information is free. Hard to get much better than that.

This podcast dispels the myth of drinking eight glasses of water per day. Most in the wellness industry will tell you to drink lots of water and limit your salt intake, but that is the opposite of what you want to do.

Not only do these strategies not improve your hydration, but they may also cause many of the issues they’re supposed to prevent, including headaches, skin problems, detox problems, decreased immune function and lower metabolism.

"We might actually want to be drinking less water and eating more salt," Feldman says. "We’ll also talk about how we can address high blood pressure, and why the general recommendations to drink more water and eat less salt might not be a good idea for high blood pressure."

Unfounded Claims
    Surprising as it may seem, the recommendation to drink eight glasses of water (or more) each day "is in many ways a baseless recommendation that isn't supported by research," Feldman says. Even more surprising, perhaps, is that drinking water is not by itself a strategy that will guarantee hydration.

Many different factors can affect your cells’ capacity to use the water available to them, including the mineral balance in your body and your blood volume. Drinking excessive amounts of water, to the point that your urine is clear, also comes at a cost.

The same, but in reverse, can be said for salt. Very low salt intake, which is recommended for cardiac patients and those with high blood pressure in particular, likely does more harm than good. High salt intake is also wrongly accused of causing dehydration.

There’s More to Hydration Than Water
    On a cellular level, hydration allows the cells to maintain their proper structure. But water is not the only factor in hydration. The ratios of electrolytes inside and outside the cell also play a role, as does the protein structure of the cell, and the amount of energy the cell has available. All these factors interact to maintain hydration of the cell.

Electrolytes are positive or negative ions of specific minerals. The primary intracellular electrolyte is potassium, and the main extracellular electrolyte is sodium.

Other important electrolytes include magnesium and calcium. These four interact with each other in various ways. Calcium and magnesium, for example, are antagonistic toward each other, as are sodium and potassium, so they need to be properly balanced.

"The interaction of water with the electrolytes and proteins [in the cell membrane] gives the water structure, [it] creates a gel state [editors note: structured water or EZ water, which stores energy and strengthen mitochondria2]," Fave explains.

"So ... you need not only water, you need electrolytes and proteins as well. And then ... you need energy to maintain the proper concentration gradients or maintain the proper ratios of electrolytes inside and outside the cell.

In the plasma membrane theory, you need a proper amount of ATP, which is produced by oxidative phosphorylation, mostly, in order to run the membrane-based pumps that control the gradients inside and outside the cell.

In the gel state theory, or the gel water theory, you need proper energy production of the cell to maintain a specific charge of the protein structure and the water in general, so that they interact appropriately and maintain the proper shape.

In both theories, when you have a breakdown of energy production, you get swelling of the cell, and that's because the cell has been unable to maintain the proper gradients between electrolytes from the inside to the outside, or in the gel state theory, just the proper electrolyte interaction with the water and structure.

So now we have a much bigger picture, where to maintain proper tissue and cellular hydration you need electrolytes. You need your water first of all but you also need electrolytes, and you need the proper proteins and amino acids, and the proper cellular energy metabolism ... Just dumping water into the system doesn't solve the problem if you have dehydration.

You have a whole bunch of other requirements, and when you start taking in an excess amount of water relative to what your body actually needs, the process of eliminating that water is a bit wasteful to some of those other requirements."

Structured Water Is Not Plain Water
    EZ water or structured water is a gel-like type of negatively charged water that forms inside your cells. It’s not the same as the water you drink. EZ water acts like a charged battery in that it both stores and delivers energy.

But for EZ water to form, energy is also required. So, you may have enough water in the cell, but if there’s not enough energy, it won’t be structured properly and will cause the cell to swell.

Basically, the severe swelling (edema) you sometimes see in cardiac patients or patients receiving intravenous fluids for an infection is likely due to a severe energy deficit, an electrolyte deficit, or both. Other contributors to edema and dehydration include eating high amounts of polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) and having a high endotoxin load in your gut.

An important point that Feldman and Fave do not discuss is that EZ water also forms when you expose water to infrared light, so an easy way to encourage the formation of EZ water in your body is to get regular sun exposure.

Salt Deficit Promotes Dehydration and High Blood Pressure
    Water and salt go together. Salt will attract water, so having an appropriate amount of salt in your blood allows you to maintain an appropriate blood volume, which in turn allows for proper circulation. When you don’t have enough salt (sodium) in your blood, your blood volume is reduced, which impedes your ability to transport waste.

As explained in the podcast, the idea behind low-sodium recommendations is that if you take in more salt, the sodium level in your blood will go up, which will increase your blood volume, thereby causing your blood pressure to rise. However, this isn’t how things work, because your body has an adaptation system.

By limiting salt, you may initially lower your blood pressure, but it comes at a cost. In the long run, it worsens dehydration and ultimately results in higher blood pressure.
    So, when your salt intake is very low, your body responds to the decrease in blood volume by preventing your kidneys from excreting sodium. By retaining sodium, it helps increase your blood volume. It also increases vasoconstriction (narrowing of the blood vessels) to bring the blood pressure back up.

In short, by limiting salt, you may initially lower your blood pressure, but it comes at a cost. In the long run, it worsens dehydration and ultimately results in higher blood pressure, which is what you were trying to address in the first place.

And, by forcing your kidneys to retain sodium, they will excrete potassium and magnesium instead. Again, these are the primary intracellular electrolytes and are required for hydration. They’re also important for relaxation.

Low magnesium and potassium also leads to further vasoconstriction and increased sympathetic nervous system activity. Your sympathetic nervous system is the gas pedal that speeds up the systems involved in the fight or flight response, so it causes stress.

Norepinephrine is also released when sodium levels are low, which also fuels the stress response. The stress response, in turn, ratchets up blood pressure. So, in the long run, too little salt promotes both dehydration and high blood pressure.

The Importance of Proper Sodium-to-Potassium Ratio
    If you notice that your blood pressure rises when you add more salt, try increasing your salt intake more slowly. Typically, the rise in blood pressure is a temporary artifact and will decrease once your body adapts. If it doesn’t, it could be that you don’t have enough of the other electrolytes (calcium, potassium and magnesium). Your sodium-to-potassium ratio is particularly important.

The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (formerly Institute of Medicine) recommends 4,700 mg per day for people over the age of 14,3 and it’s generally recommended that you eat five times more potassium than sodium.

If you're unsure of your sodium and potassium intake, use chronometer.com/mercola. https://cronometer.com/signup/?tid=mercola
    This nutrient tracker allows you to enter foods and then calculates the ratios automatically.

Potassium helps lower your blood pressure by relaxing the walls of your arteries, and according to Harvard Health,4 many people with high systolic blood pressure can successfully lower it simply by increasing their potassium intake.

In my view the best way to increase your potassium is by eating ripe fruit. I typically get around 3,000 mg from watermelon, orange juice and tangerines, and another 2,000 mg from other sources.

For a more complete list of potassium-rich foods, see DietaryGuidelines.gov’s "Food Sources of Potassium" page.5 Taking potassium supplements is not a good strategy and simply will not provide you with the benefits you seek.

Too Much Water Mimics Salt Deficiency
    As explained in the podcast, since water dilutes salt, drinking too much water can mimic having insufficient sodium. It causes the same stress response that results in the loss of potassium and magnesium, the same cellular swelling, inhibition of cellular energy production and, ultimately, dehydration!

On top of that, while the conventional claim is that water increases metabolism, research has shown that the energy expenditure is caused by activating your stress systems, including your sympathetic nervous system. So the increase in energy expenditure comes at a severe cost. It just increases stress.

Research has also shown that when you drink water that has the same concentration of salt as your blood (normal saline), you do not activate the stress response. This suggests the increase in energy expenditure from drinking plain water is due to the dilution of sodium, Feldman notes.

Key Take-Away
    The take-away from all this is that it’s important to get enough salt in your diet, and much better to drink water that contains electrolytes than plain water. How can you make sure you’re getting enough salt and water without going overboard in either direction?

One of the simplest and best ways to do that is to listen to your thirst and salt cravings. Drink when you’re thirsty and salt your food to taste. Don’t force yourself to drink a predetermined amount of water "just because."

"There’s a misconception that by the time you're thirsty, you're already too dehydrated," Feldman says, "and that's not the case. The research has shown that that our sensitivity to thirst and hydration is actually pretty spot-on, it's pretty sensitive.

So, we know that ... we get thirsty ahead of time. We're able to tell within a pretty small range ... if we're getting slightly dehydrated or if we need more liquid, which of course makes sense.

That's the whole point of thirst — to tell us that we need more liquid. It wouldn't make sense if that happens too late ... This is shown in animals as well, that they have very sensitive thirst signals that allows them to stay adequately hydrated.

The same is true for salt. Our signals that tell us how much salt we need are pretty sensitive ... so if you're craving salt ... that might mean that you need more salt."

General Recommendations to Optimize Hydration and Salt Intake
    Feldman points out that while conventional recommendations say to limit salt intake to 1,500 or 2,000 milligrams or less, research has shown that this range is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality compared to higher ranges of 4,000 to 6,000 mg.

"The the point being that if we were to eat a lot more salt than we're told to eat, we’d actually be much better off," Feldman says.

"And as far as thirst goes, this brings us to the best food and drink options for hydration. We don't want to just drink plain water. A lot of the other places that we could get liquid from have a lot more of the things that we would need to actually stay hydrated."

Examples offered by Fave include mineral water, tea with honey, fruit juice, coconut water, milk, fruit and vegetable smoothies, cooked vegetables and ripe fruit. These contain minerals, vitamins and sugars that aid hydration better than plain water. When you do drink plain water, make sure it’s well-filtered to avoid water contaminants like fluoride, chlorine and disinfection byproducts (DBPs).

Also, in cases where you need to consume large amounts of water because you’re sweating profusely, consider adding electrolytes to it. A super-simple and extremely cost-effective way to do that is to dissolve a small pinch of Himalayan salt into your water. A small amount of lemon or lime juice will improve the taste.

When it comes to salt, steer clear of iodized highly processed table salt, as it contains anticaking agents and can contain undesirable contaminants, including plastic, as well. Instead, make sure you’re using a natural unprocessed salt. Mediterranean sea salt, Celtic sea salt and Himalayan pink salt are good options. Then, listen to your cravings and salt your food to taste.

Optimizing Metabolism Is Important if You Have Hypertension
    Other factors that affect hydration and blood pressure, aside from water and salt intake, include making sure you’re getting enough of the other three electrolytes (potassium, calcium and magnesium) and optimizing your cellular energy production.

"For people who are concerned about their blood pressure, these are definitely important things to consider," Feldman says.

"Factors that affect energy production play a pretty major role in blood pressure, so that means making sure you're getting the right types of fats — avoiding PUFAs and favoring the more saturated ones — getting enough protein, getting enough carbs, making sure you're digesting your food well and don't have a lot of endotoxin production ...

If you're having hypertensive issues, in general I would say there's a lot more going on than you're just eating too much salt. I would say you either have an endotoxin issue, some vascular damage from oxidized polyunsaturated fats, maybe some type of latent infection, maybe you have an overactive adrenergic system ... from some sort of electrolyte imbalance or some type of chronic stressful situation, or a lack of nutrients ...

Another point to consider ... Hypertension is ... an excessive amount of tension ... The blood vessels are being contracted to an excessive amount and that's what leads to the high blood pressure. Well, all of the things that support energy production work to to release that tension."

To learn more about how to optimize your metabolism and cellular energy production — which as Feldman notes may help address your high blood pressure — check out my interviews with biohacker Georgi Dinkov, featured in "Crucial Facts About Your Metabolism,":
    https://takecontrol.substack.com/p/m...ose-metabolism

"Important Information About Low Carb, Cortisol and Glucose":
    https://takecontrol.substack.com/p/g...ortisol-part-1

and "A Surprising Reason Why You May Need More Carbs in Your Diet.":
    https://takecontrol.substack.com/p/s...eed-more-carbs "

Sources and References
    1 Umzu. Who Is Ray Peat?
    2 Dave Asprey EZ Water
    3 National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine Table S-3
    4 Harvard Health Publishing, January 23, 2017
    5 DietaryGuidelines.gov Food Sources of Potassium
    Each breath a gift...

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Antagenet (29th September 2023), Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Harmony (18th September 2023)

27. Link to Post #74
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Sodium Bicarbonate
    Dr. Sircus
    9/29/23
    https://drsircus.com/?s=sodium+bicarbonate
    https://www.facebook.com/drsircus

"Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3) is a natural substance used to regulate pH as a counterbalance to acid build up and accompanying low oxygen conditions. Sodium bicarbonate is the easiest, fastest and safest way to rush oxygen to the cells and it is a biological fact that cancer cells hate oxygen.

Baking soda affects the pH of cells and tissues, balances cell voltage, and increases CO2, all of which helps with oxygenation. We might not be able to say that bicarbonate cures cancer but certainly baking soda helps patients survive their cancer. It certainly helps patients survive chemotherapy and that is why it is quietly used to buffer the toxic effects during chemo administration.

Sodium Bicarbonate can be used as a first line of defense for a vast range of sickness including, cancer, flu, diabetes, kidney disease and even the common cold. Sodium Bicarbonate can be used in many forms whether transdermally in a bath, orally or nebulized for lung conditions. It can be used against radiation exposure. The US Army has known for decades that it protects the kidneys against uranium toxicity.

The Post wrote, “Treatment is based on the theory that cancer is caused by a form of yeast infection and that sodium bicarbonate can kill the yeast. This claim is not supported by science or clinical evidence and is contrary to widely-accepted basic facts of oncology and microbiology.”

Only a few brave souls say that cancer is a fungus but certainly most patients with late stage cancer have fungus infections, which doctors do not know how to treat, because most medical organizations come out clearly against the use of sodium bicarbonate, which is after all a good anti-fungal."
    Each breath a gift...

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Harmony (29th September 2023), Seeclearly (29th September 2023), Vicus (29th September 2023)

29. Link to Post #75
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Reduce Inflammation and Reverse Autoimmune Issues Without Expensive Drugs
    11/15/23

"According to US News and World Report, properly prescribed medications are putting many people in the hospital instead of treating their illnesses.

Not only that, but a study by Donald Light reveals that around 2,460 people die from drugs that were properly prescribed on a weekly basis!

Can you imagine the horror of going six feet under thanks to something that PROMISED you that you will get better?

And that’s not all…

More studies are finding out that these meds are triggering the onset of various autoimmune conditions, dementia, and Alzheimer’s.

If prescription medicines themselves are causing these conditions, where do you run to?

Fortunately, our good friend Jonathan Otto has created this e-book on 21 Natural Remedies for Autoimmune Disease which you can download below…

Download your F.REE copy of the e-book: https://naturalmedicinesecrets.com/2...115HTJV020010I

Here’s what you’ll discover:

✅ The natural remedies that are more effective for reducing inflammation than the top 3 anti-inflammatory drugs on the market

✅ Spices that are proven to be as effective as common antidepressants, but without the side-effects

✅ Stress-reducing plant medicines that lower your cortisol, and promote calm and well-being

✅ The antioxidant plants that are helping you slim down effortlessly

✅ The science behind these miracle remedies

As an added bonus, downloading this e-book also gives you a F.REE pass to watch Jonathan’s brand new docuseries, Natural Medicine Secrets.

Discover the top natural healing protocols from 55 of the world's best natural medicine doctors, who have developed these over decades of clinical practice.

The information you’ll get from the e-book and the docuseries are stuff that you likely won’t get from any doctor.

So don’t miss this chance to learn how natural medicine can change your life and unlock a healthier future for you.

Download the e-book + get F.REE access to watch all 9 episodes of Natural Medicine Secrets.

Potent, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory vitamins, herbs, plants, and spices that protect your brain, your digestive system, your liver, as well as improve your sleep and your mood;
    The natural remedies that are more effective for reducing inflammation than the top 3 anti-inflammatory drugs on the market;
    Spices that are proven to be as effective as common antidepressants, but without the side-effects;
    Stress-reducing plant medicines that lower your cortisol, and promote calm and well-being;
    The specific compound found in certain plants that mimics the effects of insulin, helping transport sugar from the bloodstream to your cells
    The antioxidant plants that are helping you slim down effortlessly
    The science behind these miracle remedies.
    Natural medicine has been used to heal people for millennia, across civilisations.
    Nowadays, when modern medicine shows its limits, scientists are turning to the ancient wisdom of traditional medicines, and understanding the power of herbal remedies as potential healing agents. What they discovered is simply astounding.

In this eBook, you have the best scientifically-based research of the most potent plants for treating inflammation and autoimmunity at your fingertips.

To your health,

The Health Truths team"
    Each breath a gift...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

mojo (16th November 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4