+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When Will Humanity Become a Type I Civilization? A New Paper Explores Our Limits

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,908 times in 1,388 posts

Default When Will Humanity Become a Type I Civilization? A New Paper Explores Our Limits

https://www.sciencealert.com/astroph...i-civilization

There are several ways we can measure the progress of human civilization. Population growth, the rise and fall of empires, our technological ability to reach for the stars.

But one simple measure is to calculate the amount of energy humans use at any given time. As humanity has spread and advanced, our ability to harness energy is one of our most useful skills.

If one assumes civilizations on other planets might possess similar skills, the energy consumption of a species is a good rough measure of its technological prowess. This is the idea behind the Kardashev Scale.

Russian astrophysicist Nikolai Kardashev proposed the scale in 1964. He categorized civilizations into three types: planetary, stellar, and galactic.

A Type I species is able to harness energy on a scale equal to the amount stellar energy that reaches its home planet. Type II species can harness energy on the scale of its home star, and Type III can harness the energy of its home galaxy.

The idea was further popularized by Carl Sagan, who suggested a continuous scale of measurement rather than simply three types.

So what type of civilization are we? Although humans use a tremendous amount of energy, it turns out we don't even qualify as Type I.

About 1016 Watts of solar energy reaches Earth on average, and humanity currently uses about 1013 Watts. On Sagan sliding scale, that puts us currently at about 0.73.

Not bad for a bunch of evolved primates, but it raises an interesting question. Could we even reach Type I? After all, we can't capture all the sunlight that reaches Earth and still have a habitable planet.

It comes down to whether the human species can unify for the common good.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bogeyman For This Post:

Harmony (24th April 2022), Inversion (24th April 2022), The KMan (25th April 2022), XelNaga (24th April 2022), yelik (25th April 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,590 times in 532 posts

Default Re: When Will Humanity Become a Type I Civilization? A New Paper Explores Our Limits

No human can answer this question as we are trapped in our egos that have caused the problem in the first place.
    At least until we are out of that Kali Yuga phase, and the other one after that before the next golden age.
    Even then it's a temporary phase and we are then right back in the mud.

For me , the solution is to learn how to live with the problems and find peace in your heart while bathing in filth , corruption, and all the rest.

As long as we have a very small number of nasty "humans" controlling the planet, these energy forms which I am sure already have been tested, will never make it out of the shadows.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Olam For This Post:

Harmony (24th April 2022), The KMan (25th April 2022), XelNaga (24th April 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,113 times in 807 posts

Default Re: When Will Humanity Become a Type I Civilization? A New Paper Explores Our Limits

It's my understanding of energy based on new theory on physics. We would not need to harness Sun's energy anymore if we develop overunity energy technology. Also Sun's energy source comes from electricity in our galaxy not from thermonuclear fusion reaction at the Sun's core. Thermonuclear fusion reaction caused by gravitational collapse of matter is violation of three laws of thermodynamics and law of the energy conservation.

To create an overunity power generator is relatively simple if one understands Systems theory and fundamentals of physics IMHO. One just need to create a open-loop system that harness potential energy of the system generates: electricity, gravity, or kinetic energy of moving mass. Suppressed, marginalized scientists had built prototype overunity energy devices and published theories over 20th century.

Resource exploitation even star's energy is primitive. Such civilization will destroy everything around it, will be removed by advanced civilizations in space.

Quote As long as we have a very small number of nasty "humans" controlling the planet, these energy forms which I am sure already have been tested, will never make it out of the shadows.
    When power grid of the country I live falls, functional government does not exist and the society is full of chaos, it's the right time to build / publish overunity power generators as is for general public. It is an entertaining idea I have been playing with myself for many years.
    For free society!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

Olam (24th April 2022), The KMan (25th April 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,590 times in 532 posts

Quote Posted by Hughe (here)
    It's my understanding of energy based on new theory on physics. We would not need to harness Sun's energy anymore if we develop overunity energy technology. Also Sun's energy source comes from electricity in our galaxy not from thermonuclear fusion reaction at the Sun's core. Thermonuclear fusion reaction caused by gravitational collapse of matter is violation of three laws of thermodynamics and law of the energy conservation.

To create an overunity power generator is relatively simple if one understands Systems theory and fundamentals of physics IMHO. One just need to create a open-loop system that harness potential energy of the system generates: electricity, gravity, or kinetic energy of moving mass. Suppressed, marginalized scientists had built prototype overunity energy devices and published theories over 20th century.

Resource exploitation even star's energy is primitive. Such civilization will destroy everything around it, will be removed by advanced civilizations in space.

Quote As long as we have a very small number of nasty "humans" controlling the planet, these energy forms which I am sure already have been tested, will never make it out of the shadows.
    When power grid of the country I live falls, functional government does not exist and the society is full of chaos, it's the right time to build / publish overunity power generators as is for general public. It is an entertaining idea I have been playing with myself for many years.
    Or dismantle a B2 bomber and reverse engineer the thing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Olam For This Post:

The KMan (25th April 2022)

+ Reply to Thread