+ Reply to Thread

Thread: These real-life cyborgs are changing their brains by enhancing their bodies

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,908 times in 1,388 posts

Default These real-life cyborgs are changing their brains by enhancing their bodies

https://qz.com/1424235/these-real-li...-their-bodies/

Mohsen Minaei doesn’t look much like a cyborg. Yet he’s made a number of alterations to his body that are decidedly non-human.

The geophysicist from San Antonio, Texas doesn’t wear a RoboCop-style helmet or shoot lasers from his eyes. Instead, he’s experimented with a magnet in his left hand, to make it easier to pick up paper clips, and a chip in his right arm that gives a constant reading of his temperature. And then there’s the device on his chest, attached with piercings, that vibrates whenever he faces north. It’s called North Sense, and about 300 people around the world have one.

Seem a little needless? That’s because it’s not really about facing north, says Liviu Babitz, a fellow body-hacker who invented the chip. Instead, Babitz believes that the tingling feeling that he, Minaei and around 300 others now experience is helping to create new neural pathways in their brains. “So instead of my reality being built from ‘x’ number of elements, now it’s ‘x plus one’ number of elements that I understand reality by,” he says.

When man becomes machine...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bogeyman For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (31st October 2022), Ewan (29th April 2022), Gomba (31st October 2022), Inversion (29th April 2022), Nasu (1st May 2022), pabranno (29th April 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Language
    Hungarian
    Thanks

Default Re: These real-life cyborgs are changing their brains by enhancing their bodies

We can learn to detect north and much more with our minds alone.
    Cyborgism is a derailment of our evolution.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gomba For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (31st October 2022), Michel Leclerc (31st October 2022), Patient (31st October 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,271 times in 2,100 posts

Default Re: These real-life cyborgs are changing their brains by enhancing their bodies

If it was a gadget or an app that you could use when necessary I can see some value in it. Imagine if you worked in forestry and the canopy was so thick that you could not see the sky. OK, then I would benefit from something letting me know where north is - and I don't want to use a compass.

Having something vibrate every time you face North - Lol! Can you imagine how many times a day you would be getting on/off buzzing?

Also, a magnet in your hand. So it would not be good to hold the phone in that hand. Or wipe to clean your monitor or TV screen - how many screens are in our lives? Wipe a magnet across a display screen and screw it up.

Too many negatives vs positives for me.

+ Reply to Thread