+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Caffeine Usage

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,810 times in 1,688 posts

Default Caffeine Usage

About 1.5 years ago I quit drinking soda. I would drink 1-3 cans of Coke per day. A doctor told me it's bad for the bubbles in your bones. Recently I stopped drinking coffee because the acidity made me feel sick. I thought at first it was the sugar then the creamer. Years ago I had a piece of apple pie and nearly threw-up because of the extremely high quantity of sugar. Now, I allow myself 1-2 cups of tea a day and I was never a tea drinker. I drink it out of frustration for drink choices and as a substitute.

wikipedia
    Quote Caffeine is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant of the methylxanthine class.[11] There are several known mechanisms of action to explain the effects of caffeine. The most prominent is that it reversibly blocks the action of adenosine on its receptors and consequently prevents the onset of drowsiness induced by adenosine. Caffeine also stimulates certain portions of the autonomic nervous system. It is also used as a cognitive enhancer which increases alertness and attentional performance.[12][13]

Caffeine is a bitter, white crystalline purine, a methylxanthine alkaloid, and is chemically related to the adenine and guanine bases of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and ribonucleic acid (RNA). It is found in the seeds, fruits, nuts, or leaves of a number of plants native to Africa, East Asia and South America,[14] and helps to protect them against herbivores and from competition by preventing the germination of nearby seeds,[15] as well as encouraging consumption by select animals such as honey bees.

Caffeine is a pesticide produced by plants.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Inversion For This Post:

Bluegreen (3rd May 2022), cannawizard (4th May 2022), ClearWater (4th May 2022), ExomatrixTV (4th May 2022), fer (3rd May 2022), gini (4th May 2022), haroldsails (4th May 2022), Islander12 (4th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th May 2022), Krist (4th May 2022), Mike (3rd May 2022), mizo (5th May 2022), O Donna (3rd May 2022), pueblo (4th May 2022), Spiral (4th May 2022), Sunny-side-up (4th May 2022), The KMan (4th May 2022), Violet3 (3rd May 2022), wondering (3rd May 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,034 times in 786 posts

Default Re: Caffeine Usage

Why does this not surprise me?

I have quit so many things now I am nearly a breatharian.... Actually I guess I am when fasting!

Soda and HFCS really did a number on my body and the "diet sodas" were MUCH worse. But apart from the occasional soda water my only vice in that area is maybe an Italian soda.

Then I gave up HFCS, then sugar, then agave, then honey, then coconut sugars...I can do this for almost every category of food and snacks....Now I am a plant anti-nutrient purge..

By FAR coffee was the hardest...BUT I will now very occasionally have one, instead of the litre/day I had once upon a time. I will also not be too fussed about an occasional piece of bread or pastry.

Why? Lifespan and Healthspan are extended when challenged and "stressed". Muscles and resiliency atrophy when we are in "ideal" or "perfect" conditionals ALL of the time. We get very fat, very weak, and very lazy. If one is never exposed to illness the immune system never matures...So really, an occasional cup of coffee is NOT the same as an "occasional" scorpion sting or rattle snake bite....alcohol too is a toxin, but a glass of wine may be "good" as well. I am not even suggesting "balance" either.

These days EVERYTHING is "bad"....some really are. Others, not so much.

4. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Bluegreen (3rd May 2022), cannawizard (4th May 2022), ClearWater (4th May 2022), ExomatrixTV (4th May 2022), gini (4th May 2022), haroldsails (4th May 2022), Inversion (3rd May 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th May 2022), Krist (4th May 2022), leavesoftrees (4th May 2022), Mike (3rd May 2022), mizo (5th May 2022), O Donna (3rd May 2022), Spiral (4th May 2022), Strat (3rd May 2022), Sunny-side-up (4th May 2022), T Smith (4th May 2022), The KMan (4th May 2022), Violet3 (3rd May 2022), wondering (3rd May 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,503 times in 5,708 posts

It's interesting...I've seen many coffee addicts sit in judgement of alcohol and nicotine users, without it ever registering that they're hooked on a drug too.

I was a coffee addict for a good long time. Haven't had any coffee in over a decade, save the very occasional cup of decaf. I don't deserve any credit for quitting btw. I only quit because my heart would no longer tolerate the caffeine. I'd still be drinking it now if I could, so this is no preaching from the pulpit here.

I think coffee is good in small doses. That was my experience and I think science confirms it. But show me the low dose coffee user! You will not find him! It's the same with alcohol. Both my experience and science tell me it's good in low or moderate doses. But keeping consumption low is an art form that very few can manage.

6. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bluegreen (3rd May 2022), cannawizard (4th May 2022), Chip (3rd May 2022), ClearWater (4th May 2022), gini (4th May 2022), haroldsails (4th May 2022), Inversion (3rd May 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th May 2022), Krist (4th May 2022), Kryztian (4th May 2022), leavesoftrees (4th May 2022), Mike Gorman (4th May 2022), mizo (5th May 2022), mokosh (4th May 2022), O Donna (3rd May 2022), Sunny-side-up (4th May 2022), The KMan (4th May 2022), Violet3 (3rd May 2022), wondering (3rd May 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,159 times in 1,663 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    It's interesting...I've seen many coffee addicts sit in judgement of alcohol and nicotine users, without it ever registering that they're hooked on a drug too.
    True story.

One need not stop there on addiction(s) though except for it not being in the scope of the OP.

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

Bluegreen (3rd May 2022), cannawizard (4th May 2022), ClearWater (4th May 2022), haroldsails (4th May 2022), Inversion (3rd May 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th May 2022), Mike (4th May 2022), Mike Gorman (4th May 2022), mizo (5th May 2022), onevoice (3rd May 2022), The KMan (4th May 2022), Violet3 (3rd May 2022), wondering (3rd May 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,096 times in 2,424 posts

“Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow we die.” (Or something like that.)

The “Golden Mean” makes sense. Anything one engages or imbibes in should be done in moderation.

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

Bluegreen (4th May 2022), cannawizard (4th May 2022), ClearWater (4th May 2022), gini (4th May 2022), gord (4th May 2022), haroldsails (4th May 2022), Inversion (3rd May 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th May 2022), Krist (4th May 2022), Lasuh (4th May 2022), Mike (4th May 2022), Mike Gorman (4th May 2022), mizo (5th May 2022), The KMan (4th May 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Inversion (here)
    About 1.5 years ago I quit drinking soda. I would drink 1-3 cans of Coke per day. A doctor told me it's bad for the bubbles in your bones. Recently I stopped drinking coffee because the acidity made me feel sick. I thought at first it was the sugar then the creamer. Years ago I had a piece of apple pie and nearly threw-up because of the extremely high quantity of sugar. Now, I allow myself 1-2 cups of tea a day and I was never a tea drinker. I drink it out of frustration for drink choices and as a substitute.

wikipedia
    Quote Caffeine is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant of the methylxanthine class.[11] There are several known mechanisms of action to explain the effects of caffeine. The most prominent is that it reversibly blocks the action of adenosine on its receptors and consequently prevents the onset of drowsiness induced by adenosine. Caffeine also stimulates certain portions of the autonomic nervous system. It is also used as a cognitive enhancer which increases alertness and attentional performance.[12][13]

Caffeine is a bitter, white crystalline purine, a methylxanthine alkaloid, and is chemically related to the adenine and guanine bases of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and ribonucleic acid (RNA). It is found in the seeds, fruits, nuts, or leaves of a number of plants native to Africa, East Asia and South America,[14] and helps to protect them against herbivores and from competition by preventing the germination of nearby seeds,[15] as well as encouraging consumption by select animals such as honey bees.

Caffeine is a pesticide produced by plants.
    thank you for this post, i've managed to get my caffeine intake to 1 cup a day, eventually it will be dropped to an occasional cup instead of daily.

like anything concerning biology and our bodies, moderation and knowing self will be a good 'medium/baseline' to follow, a lot of things in our daily routines can easily fall victim to abuse~

cheers

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cannawizard For This Post:

haroldsails (4th May 2022), Inversion (4th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th May 2022), Krist (4th May 2022), Mike (4th May 2022), Mike Gorman (4th May 2022), mizo (5th May 2022), The KMan (4th May 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,055 times in 1,753 posts

I tend to regard puritan abstainers with a degree of contempt, I am an 'Earthy' man with appetites and addictions to several 'drugs'
    I don't drink alcohol very much these days, and I feel better for this, I smoke Tobacco, drink Tea & Coffee and that is as far as I will disclose.
    Being blessed with a robust constitution I tend to be able to tolerate more 'poisons' than the average punter, I seldom get sick and no 'corona' infections of any kind for many years.
    Moderation is the true ideal I feel! Including moderation itself.

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

cannawizard (4th May 2022), ClearWater (4th May 2022), George (6th May 2022), haroldsails (4th May 2022), Inversion (4th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th May 2022), Krist (4th May 2022), Lasuh (4th May 2022), Mike (4th May 2022), mizo (5th May 2022), Satori (4th May 2022), The KMan (4th May 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I think coffee is good in small doses. That was my experience and I think science confirms it. But show me the low dose coffee user! You will not find him! It's the same with alcohol. Both my experience and science tell me it's good in low or moderate doses. But keeping consumption low is an art form that very few can manage.
    How would you define low doses of coffee and alcohol in this instance Mike? I ask this because as a very occasional consumer of both drugs, I am trying to place myself on some sort of scale!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Forever For This Post:

haroldsails (4th May 2022), Inversion (4th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th May 2022), Mike (4th May 2022), The KMan (5th May 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

“These are earthly pleasures to be enjoyed while one is able” (Quote from the Hammer Horror classic Dracula Prince of Darkness!) Despite the title of the film, the character who makes this statement is referring to a fine claret, not blood btw!

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Forever For This Post:

cannawizard (4th May 2022), ClearWater (4th May 2022), haroldsails (4th May 2022), Inversion (4th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th May 2022), Krist (4th May 2022), Mike (4th May 2022), mizo (5th May 2022), O Donna (5th May 2022), The KMan (5th May 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,503 times in 5,708 posts

Quote Posted by Forever (here)
    How would you define low doses of coffee and alcohol in this instance Mike? I ask this because as a very occasional consumer of both drugs, I am trying to place myself on some sort of scale!

Good question! Everyone's body is different but for me it was one or maybe 2 cups of coffee in the morning and 2 to 3 beers in the evening. If I did this I felt just fine. But anything more and it had a damaging effect.

The type of coffee and beer mattered too. If I just stuck with regular ol black coffee from Starbucks all was well. I'd get into trouble with other types of coffee, like Dunkin etc. Would start having heart palps and so on.

And for beer, Guinness was helpful. I'd actually feel energized the next day after I drank it. But if I drank Budweiser or some other cheap brand I'd suffer brutal hangovers
    Last edited by Mike; 4th May 2022 at 17:27.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Ankle Biter (5th May 2022), Forever (4th May 2022), Inversion (4th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (4th May 2022), mizo (5th May 2022), O Donna (5th May 2022), The KMan (5th May 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,539 times in 20,693 posts

Chocolate is the hardest thing for me to give up.
    I've been able to taper off chocolate bars by making a kind of fudge with organic cacao powder, butter, sour cream, honey, vanilla, and a touch of salt.
    When cacao isn't heated, it's healthier than heat-treated cocoa which is used to make chocolate, so the toxic effect (and the habit-forming element too, apparently) aren't present.
    I am an infrequent coffee drinker, and when I do have it it's home brewed, organic decaf.
    I read somewhere recently that coffee shuts down intuition, and I do feel a kind of dullness after drinking it, whereas a cup of organic decaf English Breakfast is stimulating in a good way, without slamming my adrenals.
    But I had a really bad caffeine detox for several days not long ago after I stopped adding a little teabag of regular organic tea (Newman's Own) to my morning decaf tea.
    I was shocked at how much just that little bit had affected me.
    No such reaction after stopping decaf tea for a few days, though...
    But it's a real catch-22 that the more you detox your body, the more sensitive you become to toxins!
    It really does make it easier to give up the toxins though, if you stick to detoxing.
    Spirulina has really been helping me with that over the years. All that chlorophyll!
    Last edited by onawah; 5th May 2022 at 01:04.
    Each breath a gift...

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Ankle Biter (5th May 2022), Inversion (5th May 2022), mizo (5th May 2022), O Donna (5th May 2022), The KMan (5th May 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,172 times in 572 posts

I haven't had a cup of caffeinated tea since my 20's, -4 decades ago, it gives me the jitters, caffeinated coffee I'll imbibe a few times a year, but have a large hook on standby to get me down of the ceiling.. To be honest I do like a coffee occasionally, if I can time it right it does sharpen my thoughts, like if I'm required to give a presentation for example- but I then get a migraine later as punishment. A big NO! to energy drinks! I'd rather drink my own p!5$....

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mizo For This Post:

Inversion (5th May 2022), O Donna (5th May 2022), onawah (5th May 2022)

+ Reply to Thread