+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Computers and technology tips

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Default Computers and technology tips

If you listen to videos or music on your laptop you might try these Lielongren usb plug-n-play speakers. I've tested them on Windows, MacOS and Linux and they are instantly enabled and become the default output. Much better!

https://www.amazon.com/Newest-Comput...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

cannawizard (9th May 2022), DeDukshyn (9th May 2022), ExomatrixTV (25th July 2022), Inversion (9th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (10th May 2022), Simon Sparx (9th May 2022), thepainterdoug (9th May 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: Computers and technology tips

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    If you listen to videos or music on your laptop you might try these Lielongren usb plug-n-play speakers. I've tested them on Windows, MacOS and Linux and they are instantly enabled and become the default output. Much better!

Dang that's affordable!

I recently bought some new desktop speakers after my 15 year old tiny powered fostex studio monitors finally bit the dust - those were some great little speakers - I got them on sale for about $120CAD, looong ago. I see they've over doubled in price: https://www.amazon.com/Fostex-USA-PM...%2C429&sr=8-35

So I replaced them with a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1700...s%2C160&sr=8-5 which are pretty darn good. Took a while to get them properly broke in but they sound great now .. .also with bluetooth, and two line inputs, and a subwoofer output. They look nice too! Overall I'd say they are good bang for the buck. I occasionally dabble in some music production so I needed something with a fairly flat response curve and these are balanced nicely between "studio monitor" and "general use speaker".
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (25th July 2022), Inversion (26th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (10th May 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)

Dang that's affordable!

I recently bought some new desktop speakers after my 15 year old tiny powered fostex studio monitors finally bit the dust - those were some great little speakers - I got them on sale for about $120CAD, looong ago. I see they've over doubled in price: https://www.amazon.com/Fostex-USA-PM...%2C429&sr=8-35

So I replaced them with a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1700...s%2C160&sr=8-5 which are pretty darn good. Took a while to get them properly broke in but they sound great now .. .also with bluetooth, and two line inputs, and a subwoofer output. They look nice too! Overall I'd say they are good bang for the buck. I occasionally dabble in some music production so I needed something with a fairly flat response curve and these are balanced nicely between "studio monitor" and "general use speaker".
    Good info. Using multipleOSes, I shy away from bluetooth, too complicated. But I don[t like laptop speakers.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Inversion (26th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (10th May 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)

Dang that's affordable!

Good info. Using multipleOSes, I shy away from bluetooth, too complicated. But I don[t like laptop speakers.
    That's the beauty of these, they have two regular wired line inputs as well, so I'm wired to my PC but I can also hok a turntable up without switching wires around. Then when someone comes over and wants to play you a song from their phone, you can just tell them to connect to these with their fancy bluetooth abilities.

Not the same league as a simple USB ultra portable speaker though which are perfect for a laptop situation ... these are better for a permanent desktop situation, and they take up a bit of room on the desk.

On another note, I also use at my desk a powered mug warmer to keep my coffee / tea hot while I'm browsing Avalon in the mornings

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-War...2116089&sr=8-7
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (25th July 2022), Inversion (26th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (10th May 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Scheduled Recording of internet radio:
    For Windows, there's Total Recorder, which works well
    For Mac there's a program called Audio Hijack, which I haven't tried
    For Linux there's a command line program called "arecord," used with "crontab" to schedule the recordings -- very complicated but I can post my crontab text file if you want

Hint: connect the mic and headphone ports with a short 3.5mm male-male stereo cable, and make sure the volume's not too high.
    Last edited by TomKat; 26th May 2022 at 14:03.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (25th July 2022), Inversion (26th May 2022), Journeyman (28th July 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,294 times in 1,173 posts

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (25th July 2022), Inversion (25th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (26th July 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,661 times in 20,817 posts

I started using Commodore 64 + Tape + 1541 Drive "Dolphin SpeedDos" (loading & copying 10 times faster!) since 1983 and PC since 1989 and Apple Macintosh Classic II since 1992 ... Have also worked with MS-Dos, Windows 3.11 ... Win95 ... Win98SE etc. etc. etc.
    • My nephews: Henkie Kuhles: Sinclair ZX-Spectrum & Ron Kuhles: Phillips MSX in the mid 1980s compared it with my C64 ... it took not long they too switched to Commodore 64 & Amiga 500.
    cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 26th July 2022 at 12:45.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

9ideon (25th July 2022), Inversion (25th July 2022), Journeyman (28th July 2022), Snoweagle (2nd August 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    I started using Commodore 64 since 1983 and PC since 1989 and Apple Macintosh Classic II since 1992 ... Have also worked with Win 3.11 Win95 Win98SE etc. etc.
    • My nephews had among others ZX-Spectrum & Phillips MSX in the mid 1980s and we compared whet they could do with my C64 ... not long they too switched to Commodore 64 & Amiga 500
    Had a Philips VideoPac, like the Dutch counter for Atari, I was pretty pissed off because some of my friends had Atari, but not Philips, games were very expensive too, on the other hand, had an OG console, lol.

After I got the C64, tape first, favo game was football manager and it took 20 minutes to load, remember syntax error, great when getting that just at the 20mins mark, lol. C64 was really a legend though.

Got into PC gaming when I got a 286 and these days I run a Xbox Series X for Fallout 76 and the likes, a Gaming PC for Grand Strategy like HOI 4 etc, happy days.
    Last edited by 9ideon; 25th July 2022 at 17:54.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (25th July 2022), Journeyman (28th July 2022), Snoweagle (2nd August 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    Thanks

At the age of ±17 years old (mid 1980s) I was the Founder & Coordinator of HCS-5005 & The Last Science (TLS) went to several big international Computer Events in late 1980s
    • My real name is John Kuhles and my C64 call sign was "Herkules" dirived from "Herr (German word for "mister") Kuhles" so "HerrKuhles" became ultimately: "Herkules".
    All available internet C64 videos & databases showing our C64 efforts on "The Internet" is big but still a fraction what we really did ... so I have to ask some old contacts to share the rest of it too

I also had an acoustic modem connecting to BBS systems (pre-internet) and an audio digitizer (donated by Dutch USA team) that recorded my voice when I was very young of age ... you can still hear my voice in 1 of our demos called: "Demo op de Plee" ("Demo in the Toilet") >>> that was played & copied over and over at the big C64 Computer Meetings in Venlo with 100s of C64 users, very close to the border of Germany we had many international well known C64 cracking/demo groups coming to that place.
    You may ask why making an obvious stupid ridiculous demo with my voice ... The real story behind it is this: "The Dutch USA Team" (C64) asked me to test the C64-digitizer using their microphone if everything works fine ... I did not intended to use it for any purpose ... it was just me being hilarious at the moment not knowing it would be used later on in a C64 demo.

Then months later I hear my voice being played & copied over and over in a big c64 meeting in Venlo ... They just did it without asking me first, because most liked it I decided to let it be
    cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 25th July 2022 at 21:03.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

9ideon (25th July 2022), Alecs (26th July 2022), Blastolabs (25th July 2022), meeradas (12th August 2022), Snoweagle (2nd August 2022), Strat (25th July 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Computers and technology tips

C64 Demo made 35 years ago

What you just heard in above video was done on a 1980s "64Kb Ram" Computer! (less than 10% of 1 Mb) ... the power is derived from its amazing C64 sound SID chip that was the main reason why it became at the time most used & sold home computer ... (plus it had a bit more colors & sprite options than its competitors).
    • Now you understand how bizarre it was in the 1980s to hear a human voice on a computer that way. It took a long time before PC finally could beat that performance.
    Normally I could not afford to pay for: C64 + Modem+ Tape + 1541 Drive + "Dolphin-speed-dos" loading & copying 10x faster + (audio-digitizer hardware was donated) + 8 build in EEPROMS ... neither my father >>> but because a car hit me in an traffic accident when I was driving a moped ±45 kmph in the rain and he payed the amount of money I needed to pay for the Commodore 64 + all extra accessories when I was 17 years old! ... At the time in the early 1980s it was around 2000 Dutch Guilders that amounts to ±4000 Euros/Dollars worth now (rough estimation).

cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 26th July 2022 at 13:38.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Snoweagle (2nd August 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

ClearWater (28th July 2022), ExomatrixTV (29th July 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

I finally know now.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (11th August 2022), Snoweagle (2nd August 2022)

+ Reply to Thread