+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Captcha Abuse

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Default Captcha Abuse

Many websites, such as Avalon, employ Captcha to keep people out who are not useful to the website owner. For instance, if you visit Avalon with the Tor Browser, in order to remain anonymous, you will get a captcha challenge. And some websites won't let you pass the Captcha test for anything. Catcha officially is designed to distinguish between bots and humans. But havng passed the test, if you go elsewhere on the site, you'll sometimes get another challenge, even though it has been determined (and known (through cookies) that you are human.
    OnAvalon, I'm able to keep scrolling and read posts, but the program is running and it does tell me that unusual activity has been detected from my IP address and present a challenge, but I'm not blocked from accessing the site. What do you all think of this?
    Last edited by TomKat; 13th May 2022 at 23:50.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Ewan (14th May 2022), Harmony (14th May 2022), Inversion (14th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (14th May 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (14th May 2022), Matthew (14th May 2022), Mike (14th May 2022), palehorse (14th May 2022), Rizotto (14th May 2022), Sunny-side-up (14th May 2022), XelNaga (29th May 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,304 times in 5,692 posts

Default Re: Captcha Abuse

I don't think I've ever passed one of those bot tests. Maybe I'm a bot, I dunno. Those tests are so aggravating. I just refuse to play ball now. My life could be in the balance, I wouldn't care. Just shoot me. I'm not doing that stupid f#cking bot test. I don't wait in lines and I don't do bot tests. And that's that.
    Last edited by Mike; 14th May 2022 at 05:12.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Alan (14th May 2022), Blacklight43 (14th May 2022), Ewan (14th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (14th May 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (14th May 2022), onawah (14th May 2022), palehorse (14th May 2022), Sunny-side-up (14th May 2022), XelNaga (29th May 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    .. For instance, if you visit Avalon with the Tor Browser, in order to remain anonymous, you will get a captcha challenge. ..

I am able to read the entire forum using Tor browser, I am doing just like that right now.. sometimes I log in then I have more privileges like using the search without been questioning to play a stupid captcha (I don't resolve captcha either, I just close the page).

There is many alternative ways of determine if an access is automated or not, I myself implemented simple captcha for websites a dozen times, simple math is a very popular way, matching symbols also is a good way.

When connected via Tor, it changes the IP address very often, which trigger the google captcha to be re-verified, and since captcha is a google product, and google does not allow Tor in their network except for rare situations (when using a bridge) I would stay away from google and all their products.

I am replying to this thread because I thought myself to start a thread like this in the hope to ask if there is any chance for Avalon forum abolish the use of that damned thing (google captcha).

Lately I am having access problems with nearly all websites, because there is huge trend of placing a website behind proxies like cloudflare and similar.

All these companies they test your browser against what they call "treats", what they do go much beyond that, they collect data from your computer.

I am using IceCat sometimes, but it became nearly impossible to browser the internet with that browser, since it won't allow proprietary javascript code to run, then what I get is just a crashed website.

BTW Avalon won't work with IceCat, I had tried many times, and found out that the script that loads the threads is not considered open and free in accordance with GNU IceCat standards... Please I am not blaming anyone here, don't take it wrong please.. I am just putting out my personal observations.

Anyway, I like the format of the Forum, and please do not turn it into anything "modern" like many did out there, that would be a terrible thing. Keep simple and functional as it is, but the captcha thing is really annoying.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ewan (14th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (14th May 2022), Rizotto (14th May 2022), Sunny-side-up (14th May 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,950 times in 2,388 posts

I had no idea the site employs a captcha, never ever seen it here, and it is not uncommon for me to connect via VPN. There are much better options than gateway security from Google for sure.

I think PaleHorse has provided at least part of the solution above when pointing out Tor frequently changes your apparent IP address (location).

People really should try to take control of what their browsers are doing as they browse the internet. Part key to that is controlling the scripts that sites are allowed to load. Many of them are simply unneccessary to site functionality whilst others are downright intrusive. As pointed out above 'cloudflare' scripts can effectively break site functionality if you don't let the script run. So I let the script run (if I really need to use that site), get the info I were looking for, close browser and delete all trackers and cookies. Restart your PC. Yes I am that anal about it.

Cloudflare are data miners selling your browsing profile. Blacklight can help you determine which scripts are safe, when you determine that you can set them to 'trusted' status in NoScript as an example. Further good info can be found in this thread re search engines and browser choices.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Ivanhoe (14th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (14th May 2022), Mercedes (14th May 2022), palehorse (14th May 2022), Sunny-side-up (14th May 2022), Vangelo (14th May 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,187 times in 4,071 posts

I've seen a captcha here when using the search and not signed in

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Ewan (14th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (14th May 2022), palehorse (14th May 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    I had no idea the site employs a captcha, never ever seen it here, and it is not uncommon for me to connect via VPN. There are much better options than gateway security from Google for sure.

I think PaleHorse has provided at least part of the solution above when pointing out Tor frequently changes your apparent IP address (location).

People really should try to take control of what their browsers are doing as they browse the internet. Part key to that is controlling the scripts that sites are allowed to load. Many of them are simply unneccessary to site functionality whilst others are downright intrusive. As pointed out above 'cloudflare' scripts can effectively break site functionality if you don't let the script run. So I let the script run (if I really need to use that site), get the info I were looking for, close browser and delete all trackers and cookies. Restart your PC. Yes I am that anal about it.

Cloudflare are data miners selling your browsing profile. Blacklight can help you determine which scripts are safe, when you determine that you can set them to 'trusted' status in NoScript as an example. Further good info can be found in this thread re search engines and browser choices.

Hi Ewan,
    yes it does have one with the search page, if you are not logged in, it will show up, it won't show up if you are a registered user, I learned about the captcha thing because I access PA from different computers to read new posts, etc.., but I log in as a user ONLY with my personal laptop.

So far it is the only captcha I found on PA.

I just made a new post on that thread regarding the PaleMoon browser
    --

12. The Following User Says Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ewan (14th May 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    I don't think I've ever passed one of those bot tests. Maybe I'm a bot, I dunno. Those tests are so aggravating. I just refuse to play ball now. My life could be in the balance, I wouldn't care. Just shoot me. I'm not doing that stupid f#cking bot test. I don't wait in lines and I don't do bot tests. And that's that.
    Good for you! I may do that

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Ewan (14th May 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    .. For instance, if you visit Avalon with the Tor Browser, in order to remain anonymous, you will get a captcha challenge. ..

I am able to read the entire forum using Tor browser, I am doing just like that right now.. sometimes I log in then I have more privileges like using the search without been questioning to play a stupid captcha (I don't resolve captcha either, I just close the page).

There is many alternative ways of determine if an access is automated or not, I myself implemented simple captcha for websites a dozen times, simple math is a very popular way, matching symbols also is a good way.

When connected via Tor, it changes the IP address very often, which trigger the google captcha to be re-verified, and since captcha is a google product, and google does not allow Tor in their network except for rare situations (when using a bridge) I would stay away from google and all their products.

I am replying to this thread because I thought myself to start a thread like this in the hope to ask if there is any chance for Avalon forum abolish the use of that damned thing (google captcha).

Lately I am having access problems with nearly all websites, because there is huge trend of placing a website behind proxies like cloudflare and similar.

All these companies they test your browser against what they call "treats", what they do go much beyond that, they collect data from your computer.

I am using IceCat sometimes, but it became nearly impossible to browser the internet with that browser, since it won't allow proprietary javascript code to run, then what I get is just a crashed website.

BTW Avalon won't work with IceCat, I had tried many times, and found out that the script that loads the threads is not considered open and free in accordance with GNU IceCat standards... Please I am not blaming anyone here, don't take it wrong please.. I am just putting out my personal observations.

Anyway, I like the format of the Forum, and please do not turn it into anything "modern" like many did out there, that would be a terrible thing. Keep simple and functional as it is, but the captcha thing is really annoying.
    How do I stay away from Google when the website owner has it running?

16. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)

How do I stay away from Google when the website owner has it running?
    I don't see it as a big issue, it is just annoying, to mitigate you can log in and the captcha will not show up.
    --

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

It seems Google is really clamping down on Tor Browser. I can read Avalon although I will get an google message about unusual activity on my network, but I can't visit youtube with Tor Browser anymore. I get the unusual traffic message but I can't get past it.

18. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

google is clamping down in everything that allows free speech, anonymity, privacy and so on.. they are a crooked up company, we all know that, but let's get to the solution and mitigations we already have and works well, some may have to steer a bit their perspective.... I did myself long ago, I just can't go along with all this crap out there.

Here is how I download YT videos, I do not open their page to watch, i do not have account with alphabet family.

This is a script that allows anyone to download videos to their computers, it is a fork from the infamous `youtube-dl` script that is deprecated by now.
    https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

I have always 2 browsers opened at the same time (Tor Browser and Palemoon Browser --- sometimes I use Firefox but not often anymore)

I am connected to VPN and Tor network, then I can easily download YT videos or even watch them online, but I don't since I have no account I won't post and I have no interest in reading comment there either.. my way is to download the videos, watch them and delete what is not important.

Doing like this for years so far so good, nothing to complain, there is ways, you just need to adapt a little bit.

Hope that helps.
    --

19. Link to Post #12
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,027 times in 268 posts

I am using firefox with the UMatrix adblocker plugin. This plugin allows to fine tune, which websites are reading your browser when you access a certain domain.

For instance when I visit projectavalon.net, there are resources loaded from google. That means, google knows in that moment that you are accessing projectavalon, and it might even detect which page at which sub-forum you are reading. I dont't like that.
    Because google is also loaded on almost every other page in your browser, google also knows your identity, who you are. So by default Google knows which persons are reading which threads at projectavalon. You do not need to be logged in. Google knows your identity without that.

For this reason I have completely blocked google on projectavalon.net, and I am missing nothing.

BTW I never used the "google translate" menu bar, that is loaded at each page.

In certain threads there are resources loaded from a lot more domains, of course: twitter, gab, rumble, telegram ... you name it.
    Vice versa these domains know, which page you are accessing. If you don't like that, block them. But that keeps a lot of useful info out of the page...
    Last edited by Olaf; 29th May 2022 at 08:17.

+ Reply to Thread