+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ménière’s Disease

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,191 times in 4,071 posts

Default Ménière’s Disease

I've taken an interest in Ménière’s Disease since a close friend started having attacks and was diagnosed with it very recently. He has 50% hearing in one ear and says he has drugs that control the vertigo and other symptoms. He says the diagnosis is that he will be like this (possibly getting worse) for life. He is a phenomenal bass player, although he is a multi-instrumentalist and insists he is a guitar player first, bass player second. I'm shaken by the possible loss of my musician companion and the life-long condition he suddenly has.

There are some mentions of Ménière’s Disease in and around the forum. Here are a small selection:

Tinnitus. sigh. Anyone here experience this
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1258355

What Big Pharma Doesn't Want You To Know About CANNABIS, the cure for Cancer!!!
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...l=1#post109922

Strange Bouts of Vertigo and Dizziness
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1111450

I noticed some people on this forum have experience with Ménière’s Disease. Some of the comments on those other threads have been useful while I come to terms with this.

There are some suggestions in the threads I've read: a very deliberate diet, Turmeric or Cannabis. But I would appreciate hearing peoples experience or any advice I might be able to pass to my friend. He's very Stoic about it, and very much a blokey bloke getting on with life despite it.

Thank you!

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th May 2022), Brigantia (26th May 2022), Casey Claar (27th May 2022), DeDukshyn (26th May 2022), Dennis Leahy (27th May 2022), Ernie Nemeth (2nd June 2022), Ewan (27th May 2022), ExomatrixTV (26th May 2022), gini (2nd June 2022), happyuk (2nd June 2022), Harmony (27th May 2022), Ioneo (27th May 2022), Ivanhoe (27th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (26th May 2022), lunaflare (29th May 2022), Maybee (26th May 2022), O Donna (2nd June 2022), Pam (30th November 2022), Peace in Oz (26th May 2022), RunningDeer (27th May 2022), Stephanie (26th May 2022), Sue (Ayt) (27th May 2022), Sunny-side-up (27th May 2022), Tintin (27th May 2022), wondering (26th May 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Casey Claar's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,974 times in 728 posts

Default Re: Ménière’s Disease

"They" tried to give me this diagnosis in my 20s. I was not yet working for myself at that time and during the annual "physical" we were all required it came up. I have lived with dizziness my whole life. I have always heard the Inner sound <--this can when it intensifies have something to do with it. My eyes are likewise affected. When the sound is strong, when the dizziness is strong, my vision goes all awry, I just won't be able to focus my eyes. I assume the brainwaves are altering and in flux. I have to be horizontal a good deal, but I don't mind this ( horizontal is superior, lol ). Diet absolutely helps, because when the higher frequency flows ( sound/energy/information ) are coming into the body it can be hard on the body. I know my adrenals are what often take the hit. Which makes me reach for and eat SALT. It is a quick fix that only has no long term benefit, quite the reverse. My suggestions would be to:
    • Accept the situation, do not fight or otherwise work against it
      Choose a natural way to assist yourself through ( over chemical synthetics and surgeries )
      Grounding, walking barefoot outdoors, being near trees, immersing in water - all help
      Get good with the breath, lengthen the breath, practice easy breathing techniques
      Keep the body open, notably the spine and psoas by practicing restorative yoga postures
      Say no to stress - learn to live in the parasympathetic nervous system
      Find an adaptogen than works for you, one that is especially good for the adrenals; I like Ashwaganda
      Keep the best diet possible, paying extremely close attention to what the body actually needs *and no longer needs
      If you haven't already, begin the practice of daily meditation
    "Love is what is left when you let go of everything you no longer need." —Raj

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th May 2022), Dennis Leahy (27th May 2022), Ewan (27th May 2022), happyuk (2nd June 2022), Harmony (27th May 2022), Ioneo (27th May 2022), lunaflare (29th May 2022), Matthew (27th May 2022), O Donna (2nd June 2022), RunningDeer (27th May 2022), Satori (27th May 2022), selinam (27th May 2022), Sue (Ayt) (27th May 2022), Tintin (27th May 2022), wondering (27th May 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

I didn’t have Ménière’s Disease, but my left ear was 100% blocked for about 6+ years. I’ve lost track of time, so it may have been longer. Out of the blue, six weeks ago my hearing came back.

Below are some things that helped during certain seasons such as ear candling and a neti pot. I also limit the use of ear buds.

As mentioned elsewhere, I attributed the hearing regeneration to my experiment with breatharianism. It’s been 14 months of slowly reducing my food intake initially from 500-700 calories to 200-400 calories most days. One of the benefits is the elimination of toxins in the blood, tissues, organs and cells that’s caused by rotting material, and the build up of hardened deposits, mucus, and such. I don’t have an end date for the experiment. Like most things in my life, I’ll just ‘know’ when it’s time to stop.
    • Breatharianism is a process; to stop eating may cause death. It's too much of a shock to the body system. First, one has to eliminate the toxins.

Ear Candling

I choose this 6 minute video because a lot of the clickbait vids and photos are sensationalized nonsense. Ear candling is simply extracting excess ear wax.

Equipment:
    • stainless steel bowl with a little water
    • mirror
    • ear candles
    • approximately 10 minutes per candle
    It’s helpful to pull down on the ear lobe to open the passage way and tilt the head to create an angle. The mirror helps me see when the first strand of ash is ready to drop. Usually it burns down before the second one drops. If there’s a lot of wax, I’ll use a second candle and/or do it two days in a row.

Neti Pot

I use a neti pot when the springtime pollen hits.
    Using a saline solution just once a day can help thin mucus, curb postnasal drip, and clean bacteria from your nasal passages. It can also wash out allergens you've inhaled. After their symptoms are gone, some people find three times a week is enough to keep them symptom-free.

How can I make my own saline solution for a neti pot? (6 Steps to fight Sinus Problems)
    Note: I keep it simple with organic sea salt and use warm water from the faucet rather than boil it. (I have an artisan well.)

It’s more cost effective to make your own than to purchase ready made packets.  Mix 3 teaspoons of salt with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and store in a sterile airtight container. I make up a large batch and seal it in a mason jelly jar.
    To use, combine about 8 ounces of lukewarm water (distilled, sterile or previously boiled) with 1 teaspoon of the mixture. Be sure to use canning or pickling salt that has no preservatives, iodine or other additives that can irritate your sinuses.

Put the mixture into a clean Neti pot. Tilt your head over your sink at a 45-degree angle. Place the spout into your top nostril and gently pour the solution in. The saline water will flow through your nasal cavity into the other nostril and out. Blow your nose to get rid of remaining water. Repeat the steps on your other nostril.

How to Use a Neti Pot (3:51)

Last edited by RunningDeer; 27th May 2022 at 19:03.

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (27th May 2022), Bill Ryan (27th May 2022), Casey Claar (27th May 2022), Dennis Leahy (27th May 2022), Ewan (27th May 2022), Harmony (27th May 2022), Ioneo (27th May 2022), Matthew (27th May 2022), O Donna (2nd June 2022), Peace in Oz (27th May 2022), Sadieblue (2nd June 2022), selinam (27th May 2022), Sue (Ayt) (27th May 2022), Tintin (27th May 2022), wondering (27th May 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (27th May 2022), Bill Ryan (27th May 2022), Dennis Leahy (27th May 2022), Ewan (27th May 2022), Harmony (28th May 2022), lunaflare (29th May 2022), Matthew (27th May 2022), O Donna (2nd June 2022), Pam (30th November 2022), Peace in Oz (27th May 2022), Sadieblue (2nd June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (27th May 2022), Tintin (27th May 2022), wondering (27th May 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,989 times in 1,749 posts

I may have mentioned this in a previous post, but since I can't remember...Back in 2013 I was sitting at my computer normally when the I felt the world turn upside down, I staggered to the couch and remained there with my eyes closed for hours, then the nausea hit me - I have been sick before and done my fair share of hurling, but this was something else, I was as sick as it is possible to be for hours. My esteemed best friend and ally became worried and called an ambulance, I found myself in the emergency ward, and continued to be copiously sick until I had a shot of Maxilon, and promethazine - these two drugs helped with the vertigo, anyway this was an acute 'vestibule' type attack, very similar to Meunier's disease. This was probably some type of viral infection, it has left me with an unsteady balance and my Tinnitus became even more acute.

I suppose I have grown used to the symptoms, and if I am tired I can get a relapse, lots of sleep is needed! I am also a musician, it has not prevented me from playing. Maxilon I think is the most effective treatment, it seems to steady the spinning world.

10. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

avid (27th May 2022), Bill Ryan (28th May 2022), Dennis Leahy (27th May 2022), Ewan (27th May 2022), Harmony (30th November 2022), lunaflare (29th May 2022), Matthew (27th May 2022), O Donna (2nd June 2022), Pam (30th November 2022), Peace in Oz (27th May 2022), RunningDeer (27th May 2022), Satori (27th May 2022), Sue (Ayt) (27th May 2022), Tintin (27th May 2022), wondering (27th May 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,061 times in 2,419 posts

I have suffered from tinnitus for 20-30 years. At first it was on again/off again in both ears. The "ringing" would present in one ear and go away. Then the other and go away. Sometimes both ears at the same time and go away.

I grew up on air force bases with sonic booms and aircraft engines testing at night, all night long. I also played electric guitar in a band for many years as a teenager. (I'm still a picker, but I do not claim to be a musician. I know my way around the neck of a guitar, that's all.) I've had hearing loss since a teenager.

About 10 years ago my right ear went off. It has never stopped since then. My left ear still goes off and on. I wear hearing aids and have for about 6 years. They help with the tinnitus when I have them in. They help a lot. I recommend getting hearing aids to treat tinnitus.

I was "diagnosed" with Meniere's. The diagnosis was not correct in my case, thank goodness. I have had one, maybe two, episodes as described by Mike G in post #5 above. I agree with everything Casey Claar said in post # 2 above. Especially, the don't fight it.... Reducing stress and breathing help a lot.

Tinnitus is not to be confused with Meniere's. Not everyone with tinnitus has Meniere's, but everyone (or most everyone) with Meniere's has tinnitus.

Meclizine often helps treat nausea and vertigo. That is usually available over the counter as Dramamine for motion sickness.

For what it's worth...

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th May 2022), Ewan (28th May 2022), Harmony (28th May 2022), lunaflare (29th May 2022), Matthew (28th May 2022), O Donna (2nd June 2022), Pam (30th November 2022), Peace in Oz (28th May 2022), RunningDeer (28th May 2022), Sunny (28th May 2022), wondering (2nd June 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thank you everyone. I had a band practice with him (he said his lack of hearing is strange, with his ear plugs in to protect what hearing he has left), - I could echo points from this thread, and others experiences you have shared which felt like a lot considering the rarity of the condition; the comradey is appreciated and precious. I will have to see how his appetite for playing live music gigs goes, it's early days and anything could happen. He's got into production recently so I have a feeling he will be a music maker even if he chooses to do less live gigs. Anyway, I digress... thank you everyone!

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th November 2022), Harmony (2nd June 2022), O Donna (2nd June 2022), Pam (30th November 2022), RunningDeer (2nd June 2022), Satori (2nd June 2022), wondering (2nd June 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

My friend is living with this A-OK. Just sharing something he said earlier this evening: he is convinced the covid vaccination brought this on. And he's very blue-pill. I didn't notice Ménière’s Disease as a side effect, so I had no reason to assume this might be the case. I shared that with him but he argued back to me that the timing doesn't lie; he's convinced. I wasn't sure but now I'm going to go along with my friends gut feeling.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th November 2022), Casey Claar (29th November 2022), Harmony (30th November 2022), Pam (30th November 2022), Satori (30th November 2022), Sunny (1st December 2022), wondering (29th November 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Casey Claar's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,974 times in 728 posts

Mathew, although it could be true about the timing, you might also suggest to your friend that this is what triggered his Rescue team coming in to assist, and the differential between the two is what he is now experiencing. It can take awhile to get things all balanced out. We see such a small fraction of all that is happening. We don't know waaay more than we do. Living in a perpetual state of Wonder ( awe and curiosity ) not only aligns most with the fact of the matter, it generally yields a good deal more beneficially than being 'decided' on anything.

Love to you and yours.
    "Love is what is left when you let go of everything you no longer need." —Raj

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th November 2022), Harmony (30th November 2022), Matthew (29th November 2022), Pam (30th November 2022)

+ Reply to Thread