+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For all the true music connoisseurs. A fantastic interview with the legendary session drummer Bernard Purdie.

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 times in 200 posts

Default For all the true music connoisseurs. A fantastic interview with the legendary session drummer Bernard Purdie.

With all the uncertainty and craziness in our world today it is very easy to lose hope for humanity. But whenever I stumble upon something like this video I think to myself, "Maybe mankind is not as doomed as it seems.".

Rick Beato is a terrific interviewer. I highly recommend watching his other videos. Especially the interviews he did with such greats as Sting, Brian May, Tommy Emmanuel, Steve Lukather, and Ron Carter to name a few.

From the video description:
    "Bernard Lee "Pretty" Purdie (born June 11, 1941) is an American drummer, and an influential R&B, soul and funk musician. He is known for his precise musical time keeping and his signature use of triplets against a half-time backbeat: the "Purdie Shuffle." Purdie is known as a groove drummer with immaculate timing who makes use of precision half note, backbeats, and grooves. He often employs a straight eight groove sometimes fusing several influences such as swing, blues and funk. He created the now well-known drum pattern Purdie Half-Time Shuffle that is a blues shuffle variation with the addition of syncopated ghost notes on the snare drum. Variations on this shuffle can be heard on songs such as Led Zeppelin's "Fool in the Rain" and Toto's "Rosanna" (Rosanna shuffle). Purdie plays the shuffle on Steely Dan's "Babylon Sisters" and "Home At Last"."

Enjoy...

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to holcaul For This Post:

Alan (30th May 2022), Alecs (31st May 2022), angelfire (4th June 2022), Bill Ryan (30th May 2022), Bluegreen (31st May 2022), Harmony (31st May 2022), Ivanhoe (31st May 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th May 2022), Mare (1st June 2022), Matthew (30th May 2022), mizo (31st May 2022), O Donna (31st May 2022), Open Minded Dude (31st May 2022), Patient (30th May 2022), Reinhard (31st May 2022), samsdice (31st May 2022), Satori (31st May 2022), Spiral (31st May 2022), SpookyMulder (31st May 2022), The KMan (31st May 2022), TomKat (2nd June 2022), Wansen (1st June 2022), wegge (31st May 2022), yelik (31st May 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: For all the true music connoisseurs. A fantastic interview with the legendary session drummer Bernard Purdie.

While I am a 100% percent electronic music kind of guy, this makes me go Boom-Tchak each time. The guy was born a metronome, never skips a beat by a quarter of a note; He was Michael Jackson drummer, and you can understand why he was there all along, all the time.

Johanathan "Sugarfoot" Moffett has a few drumming lessons through Drumeo called "The grooves of Michael Jackson", I am pretty sure you can find those on YT as well.

This man drumming is a therapy for both body and soul.

Apologies if anyone feels like I have hijacked the thread.
    Last edited by SpookyMulder; 31st May 2022 at 10:16.
    I have seen life on this planet, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SpookyMulder For This Post:

Alecs (31st May 2022), angelfire (4th June 2022), gs_powered (31st May 2022), Harmony (31st May 2022), holcaul (31st May 2022), Ivanhoe (31st May 2022), Mare (1st June 2022), mizo (31st May 2022), O Donna (31st May 2022), Open Minded Dude (31st May 2022), wegge (31st May 2022), wondering (31st May 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,071 times in 569 posts

Default Re: For all the true music connoisseurs. A fantastic interview with the legendary session drummer Bernard Purdie.

It' just dawned on me that - I've been playing the drums for over 50 years. (As I wrote that statement it made my head spin) Great to read threads on drums and drummers - thank you! Btw Purdie was fab
    Last edited by mizo; 31st May 2022 at 08:11.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mizo For This Post:

Alecs (31st May 2022), angelfire (4th June 2022), Harmony (1st June 2022), holcaul (31st May 2022), Open Minded Dude (31st May 2022), SpookyMulder (31st May 2022), wondering (31st May 2022), yelik (31st May 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,989 times in 1,749 posts

Rick Beato is a genuine producer and music professor, I have been following his channel on YouTube for the past few years, he has built his own alternative career following the collapse of commercial music and label driven commercial music: very clever man!
    Rick has built himself quite the reputation among the music fraternity, even Joni Mitchell likes him!
    This is what music people have to do these days, because we no longer have radio, or the 'hip parade' driving sales, musicians have to re-invent themselves and embrace every aspect of marketing their skills and talents.
    Bernard Purdie is a class act, his 'Purdie Shuffle' is what drew me into 'Home at Last' on the Steely Dan album "AJA" - such a magnificent project, I think Steely Dan is my all-time favorite rock band, along with CSN&Y and Creedence, Rory Gallagher, The Allman Bros and Eric Clapton's many music projects (Cream being my original favorite).
    Agreed, Rick Beato is well worth following on YouTube, he is the real thing.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Feritciva (1st June 2022), Harmony (1st June 2022), holcaul (31st May 2022), Ivanhoe (31st May 2022), O Donna (31st May 2022), Open Minded Dude (31st May 2022), samsdice (31st May 2022), SpookyMulder (31st May 2022), wondering (31st May 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,223 times in 2,093 posts

Here is Larnell Lewis - he is one of those "one of a kind" kind of people. And this is legit as I have a personal friend who has played with Larnell a number of times.

I get goose bumps!

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

angelfire (4th June 2022), Harmony (1st June 2022), holcaul (31st May 2022), Ivanhoe (31st May 2022), Mare (1st June 2022), O Donna (31st May 2022), Open Minded Dude (31st May 2022), SpookyMulder (1st June 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,359 times in 639 posts

Love that we have a drummers' thread now. Been a drummer for many years playing in different bands (rock, progrock, bluesrock). Nowdays I play them 'electronically' only alone before the computer producing some metal music.

Back then as young drummer (80s/90s) I remember I've heard about the Purdie Shuffle and once also learnt to play it or might even had the note sheet for it in a drum method study book. Love the ghost notes thing completing the triplets between hi-hat and snare. I think Mr Porcaro also did them when he played 'Rosanna' with the half-time shuffle for Toto. Sounds fantastic. Always loved this kind of beat type, thinking about it HT shuffle is my favourite actually.

Also watched a lot of Rick Beato's channel especially his best-of-lists are always interesting (as well as controversial, of course), not so much seen of the interviews so far. I remember he had Sting on once.

Also been following Drumeo for years and seen the 'Enter Sandman' and 'Smooth Criminal' videos also already. Many many great drummers they have already had there.

Hope this tread keeps going. I feel really at home here.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Harmony (1st June 2022), holcaul (31st May 2022), Ivanhoe (31st May 2022), Mare (1st June 2022), mizo (31st May 2022), O Donna (31st May 2022), Patient (31st May 2022), SpookyMulder (1st June 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by SpookyMulder (here)

While I am a 100% percent electronic music kind of guy, this makes me go Boom-Tchak each time. The guy was born a metronome, never skips a beat by a quarter of a note; He was Michael Jackson drummer, and you can understand why he was there all along, all the time.

Johanathan "Sugarfoot" Moffett has a few drumming lessons through Drumeo called "The grooves of Michael Jackson", I am pretty sure you can find those on YT as well.

When my 7-year-old, a big fan of Michael Jackson, watched this video of Sugarfoot doing Smooth Criminal, he asked me to buy him a drumkit.

He IS a walking metronome!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to holcaul For This Post:

angelfire (4th June 2022), Harmony (1st June 2022), Ivanhoe (31st May 2022), Mare (1st June 2022), Patient (31st May 2022), SpookyMulder (1st June 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Open Minded Dude (here)
    I think Mr Porcaro also did them when he played 'Rosanna' with the half-time shuffle for Toto. Sounds fantastic.
    Welcome to the thread Open Minded Dude! Jeff Porcaro definitely did that. Here, he explains how he came up with the "Rosanna" groove...

Quote Posted by Open Minded Dude (here)
    Also watched a lot of Rick Beato's channel, especially his best-of-lists are always interesting (as well as controversial, of course), not so much seen of the interviews so far. I remember he had Sting on once.
    The Sting interview is absolutely amazing. Rick has a series of videos, called "What makes this song great". Each video is a VERY deep dive on a chosen song. He goes almost bar by bar. Here he does "Bohemian Rhapsody" with the one and only, Brian May...

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to holcaul For This Post:

Ivanhoe (31st May 2022), Mare (1st June 2022), mizo (31st May 2022), Orph (31st May 2022), Patient (31st May 2022), SpookyMulder (1st June 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Patient (here)
    Here is Larnell Lewis - he is one of those "one of a kind" kind of people. And this is legit as I have a personal friend who has played with Larnell a number of times.

I get goose bumps!

Yeap, Larnell is amazing. I cannot say I am a huge fan of Snarky Puppy and modern Jazz Fusion in general (slightly soulless for my taste), but that doesn't take anything away from Larnell's skills and talent.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to holcaul For This Post:

Ivanhoe (31st May 2022), Mare (1st June 2022), mizo (31st May 2022), Patient (31st May 2022), SpookyMulder (1st June 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

I have posted this in other threads - so apologies for those who have already been drilled by my favourite tunes!

This is one for anyone who has played/practiced in a house basement or whatever. Just has that feeling of live, loud and raw!

A great Canadian band of which there are many! Covid didn't stop them from playing!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

angelfire (4th June 2022), holcaul (31st May 2022), Ivanhoe (31st May 2022), Mare (1st June 2022), SpookyMulder (1st June 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike Gorman (here)
    Rick Beato is a genuine producer and music professor, I have been following his channel on YouTube for the past few years, he has built his own alternative career following the collapse of commercial music and label driven commercial music: very clever man!
    Rick has built himself quite the reputation among the music fraternity, even Joni Mitchell likes him!
    This is what music people have to do these days, because we no longer have radio, or the 'hip parade' driving sales, musicians have to re-invent themselves and embrace every aspect of marketing their skills and talents.
    Bernard Purdie is a class act, his 'Purdie Shuffle' is what drew me into 'Home at Last' on the Steely Dan album "AJA" - such a magnificent project, I think Steely Dan is my all-time favorite rock band, along with CSN&Y and Creedence, Rory Gallagher, The Allman Bros and Eric Clapton's many music projects (Cream being my original favorite).
    Agreed! Walter Becker and Donald Fagen, and some of the best session musicians of their time produced arguably some of the greatest music of the 20th century. I also have a soft spot for Creedence, The Allman Bros Band, and Toto.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to holcaul For This Post:

Ivanhoe (31st May 2022), SpookyMulder (1st June 2022), Sunny (31st May 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Patient (here)
    I have posted this in other threads - so apologies for those who have already been drilled by my favourite tunes!

This is one for anyone who has played/practiced in a house basement or whatever. Just has that feeling of live, loud and raw!

A great Canadian band of which there are many! Covid didn't stop them from playing!

Nice cover, good energy. But if we are expanding this thread a little bit, let's stick to what really made 20th-century music great.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to holcaul For This Post:

Mare (1st June 2022), SpookyMulder (1st June 2022)

25. Link to Post #13
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Ok, what I think made it great were bands that stood against the wrongs of governments. Musicians who were brave and bold.

The Beatles and the Rolling Stones started out that way until they gave it up at one point. The Sex Pistols although a manipulated exercise brought about a change in music back to the raw elements and leaving behind the gloss and control of the pretty boy bands.

Then in the 90's there were still bands being brave and saying what they wanted.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

holcaul (31st May 2022), Mare (1st June 2022), SpookyMulder (1st June 2022)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

I love the story of when Bernard Purdie was hired for a session he'd assemble his drum kit and hang a big sign behind it which read "Bernard Purdie - Hit Maker"
    Last edited by samsdice; 1st June 2022 at 06:21. Reason: missing caps

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samsdice For This Post:

holcaul (1st June 2022), Mare (1st June 2022), SpookyMulder (1st June 2022)

29. Link to Post #15
    Turkey Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 times in 216 posts

Quote Posted by Mike Gorman (here)
    I like Rick's videos because he likes Steely Dan!

I always see AJA as one of the best albums humankind ever created and Bernard Purdie definitely had impact on that album.

Speaking of drummers, one of my favorite Yes' Alan White sadly passed away last week. His work on Relayer (another all time great album of music history) is unbelieveable. RIP Alan.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feritciva For This Post:

holcaul (1st June 2022), Mare (1st June 2022), samsdice (2nd June 2022), SpookyMulder (1st June 2022), Wansen (1st June 2022)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by holcaul (here)
    Quote Posted by SpookyMulder (here)

When my 7-year-old, a big fan of Michael Jackson, watched this video of Sugarfoot doing Smooth Criminal, he asked me to buy him a drumkit.

He IS a walking metronome!
    I can definitely relate to that!
    I was the same at this age while watching watching and listening to both Jean-Michel Jarre and Vangelis, and ended up being obsessed with Analogue synths and drum machines for the rest of my days. I am still processing Vangelis death from last week, as this man has been blessing my ears and soul for quite a few decades.
    Hopefully this little 7 years old will soon get his wishes granted
    I have seen life on this planet, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpookyMulder For This Post:

holcaul (2nd June 2022), Mare (1st June 2022), Patient (1st June 2022)

33. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,071 times in 569 posts

Apologies for taking the topic slightly off topic.

I used to own a for a couple of years drum and percussion shop in London, during the 90's. I've met with some of the worlds best drummers well known players - and those who play for fun or just the amateur weekenders that gig in the their local circuit.

Of all the drummers I've met and spoke to- Buddy Rich has a special place in my heart. I first met Buddy (I was 13 years old) at the Cliffs Pavilion Southend On Sea.
    I arrived at the venue at least two hours before the start of the concert, I was with my mother, she was a tad peeved at my insistence and excitement about the arriving early, in my keenness not to miss anything.

We grabbed some soft drinks and went out onto Pavilion rooftop balcony and to my utter delight Buddy was there drinking with a few of his big band members.

I went over and spoke to him and he was charming and entertaining to me, I didn't know at time but he could also be rude and quite short tempered.

I remember asking if he'd play 'Explosion' a track I'd liked on one of my LP records. He's come back with 'you want me to self combust on stage'!?

My mother was getting chatted up by Buddy's Saxophonist the great Steve Marcus at the time and much to her embarrassment he insisted on buying her a drink.

The gig was fantastic I'd never seen anyone play a set drums in that way he was and still is the best in my eyes.

Last edited by mizo; 2nd June 2022 at 12:11.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mizo For This Post:

Bluegreen (2nd June 2022), Ernie Nemeth (2nd June 2022), holcaul (2nd June 2022), Ivanhoe (2nd June 2022), Open Minded Dude (2nd June 2022), Orph (2nd June 2022)

35. Link to Post #18
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,359 times in 639 posts

Quote Posted by mizo (here)

I used to own a for a couple of years drum and percussion shop in London, during the 90's. I've met with some of the worlds best drummers well known players - and those who play for fun or just the amateur weekenders that gig in the their local circuit.

Of all the drummers I've met and spoke to- Buddy Rich has a special place in my heart. I first met Buddy (I was 13 years old) at the Cliffs Pavilion Southend On Sea.
    I arrived at the venue at least two hours before the start of the concert, I was with my mother, she was a tad peeved at my insistence and excitement about the arriving early, in my keenness not to miss anything.

We grabbed some soft drinks and went out onto Pavilion rooftop balcony and to my utter delight Buddy was there drinking with a few of his big band members.

I went over and spoke to him and he was charming and entertaining to me, I didn't know at time but he could also be rude and quite short tempered.

I remember asking if he'd play 'Explosion' a track I'd liked on one of my LP records. He's come back with 'you want me to self combust on stage'!?

My mother was getting chatted up by Buddy's Saxophonist the great Steve Marcus at the time and much to her embarrassment he insisted on buying her a drink.

The gig was fantastic I'd never seen anyone play a set drums in that way he was and still is the best in my eyes.

Buddy is what is normally called 'My favourite drummer's favourite drummer'. Many even non-jazz drummers had him as an idol, just to mention Neil Peart who in the 90ies did an entire double tribute album with many other drummers for Buddy Rich called 'Burning for Buddy' (have it in my CD collection).

Also the Muppet Show drummer 'The Animal' became a fan after being defeated by Buddy.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Bluegreen (3rd June 2022), holcaul (2nd June 2022), mizo (2nd June 2022)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mizo (here)

NOT off-topic at all!

Thank you so much, Mizo for the personal story and the video.

The absolute virtuoso of this man is unparallel!

I especially loved the hi-hat fill at 1:24, his tempo control, and the articulation.

Fantastic! Thanks again.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to holcaul For This Post:

mizo (2nd June 2022)

39. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,168 times in 10,101 posts

I've known many talented drummers, and they all genuinely and unapologetically REVERED Animal.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

holcaul (3rd June 2022), mizo (3rd June 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast