+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Trip Down Memory Lane

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,025 times in 2,396 posts

Default A Trip Down Memory Lane

With current world events being rather bleak I stumbled across some archive footage from WWII produced by American Govt Dept for US Forces joining in and maybe wondering what it was all about. (I was actually searching for the correct lyrics to old regional folk songs which led to this discovery).

Below a modern day American Marine reviews "Know Your Ally: Britain" - and it is only 28 minutes of a 44 minute film which was part one of five in the series. Some of the footage is truly historic.

That led on to a WWII training film, again by the US for troops heading to England.
    it is a quite fascintaing look at a slice of time long gone.

To skew away from history for 2 minutes and forty eight seconds. Something to make you smile...

And the Western Allied Forces are now backing the guys with skulls...

":facepalm.icon:"

Our collective grandparents are all spinning relentlessly in their graves.

PS: You will need some time on your hands to get through these two films.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

9ideon (31st July 2022), Ankle Biter (10th June 2022), avid (9th June 2022), Bill Ryan (11th June 2022), Bluegreen (10th June 2022), bobme (12th June 2022), Brigantia (10th June 2022), Franny (9th June 2022), Inversion (31st July 2022), Johnnycomelately (10th June 2022), Mashika (10th June 2022), Matthew (9th June 2022), mojo (9th June 2022), O Donna (10th June 2022), pounamuknight (18th June 2022), samsdice (10th June 2022), Spiral (9th June 2022), Tintin (9th June 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: A Trip Down Memory Lane

London during WW-II in color [enhanced & colorized]

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

avid (10th June 2022), Bill Ryan (11th June 2022), Brigantia (10th June 2022), Mashika (11th June 2022), meeradas (11th June 2022), O Donna (10th June 2022), pounamuknight (18th June 2022), Tintin (16th December 2023)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,725 times in 2,662 posts

My goodness, was born 49, loads of memories of rationing, weird food, concentrated orange juice and rosehip syrup, cod liver oil (aaaarrgghh), and weird washing days in outhouse with a set pot (fire under copper boiler), posser in corrugated tub with dolly blue to bring up whites, then the manual mangle that snapped buttons if you weren’t careful.. Outdoor composting wc with warm wooden seat. Gaslighting in kitchen. Big black leaded range, home made bread.
    Going forward, looking at life today, I would love to go back a few years when folk were honest and optimistic, before 1984…
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th June 2022), Brigantia (10th June 2022), Ewan (11th June 2022), Hym (10th June 2022), Mashika (11th June 2022), meeradas (11th June 2022), O Donna (10th June 2022), pounamuknight (18th June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (11th June 2022), Tintin (16th December 2023)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by avid (here)
    My goodness, was born 49, loads of memories of rationing, weird food, concentrated orange juice and rosehip syrup, cod liver oil (aaaarrgghh), and weird washing days in outhouse with a set pot (fire under copper boiler), posser in corrugated tub with dolly blue to bring up whites, then the manual mangle that snapped buttons if you weren’t careful.. Outdoor composting wc with warm wooden seat. Gaslighting in kitchen. Big black leaded range, home made bread.
    Going forward, looking at life today, I would love to go back a few years when folk were honest and optimistic, before 1984…
    I recognise many of those memories myself yet I wasn't born until '60. My grandparents cottage in the highlands had no running water, no electricity, outside loo that was nothing but a large bucket set in a frame with a wooden seat. My grandfather would disappear into the woods every so often with a spade and the bucket and later there would be a fresh new lavatory! The outhouse had 3 rainwater butts (Old whiskey barrels) and there was a mangle out there too. One christmas, aged 18 going on 19 and working at the local distillery I had to break through 5 - 6 inches of ice to get water to wash my face. Most of the cooking was done on an open fire though there was a two ring burner connected to a gas bottle outside the window of what passed for a kitchen. It was just a partitioned off part of the main room about 3' sq.

I often heard them mention rationing, probably hoping to make us children more appreciative of just how well off we were.

I loved it all! Taking the long handled two wheel cart along the well-road collecting deadfall for fuel. Though they had a peat supplier from local bogs. Drinking water came from a well a mile away, though back then rainwater was probably pretty close to fine anyway.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th June 2022), Brigantia (31st July 2022), Mari (31st July 2022), Mashika (11th June 2022), O Donna (11th June 2022), pounamuknight (18th June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (11th June 2022), Tintin (16th December 2023)

9. Link to Post #5
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,830 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    Quote Posted by avid (here)
    I recognise many of those memories myself yet I wasn't born until '60. My grandparents cottage in the highlands had no running water, no electricity, outside loo that was nothing but a large bucket set in a frame with a wooden seat. My grandfather would disappear into the woods every so often with a spade and the bucket and later there would be a fresh new lavatory! The outhouse had 3 rainwater butts (Old whiskey barrels) and there was a mangle out there too. One christmas, aged 18 going on 19 and working at the local distillery I had to break through 5 - 6 inches of ice to get water to wash my face. Most of the cooking was done on an open fire though there was a two ring burner connected to a gas bottle outside the window of what passed for a kitchen. It was just a partitioned off part of the main room about 3' sq.

I often heard them mention rationing, probably hoping to make us children more appreciative of just how well off we were.

I loved it all! Taking the long handled two wheel cart along the well-road collecting deadfall for fuel. Though they had a peat supplier from local bogs. Drinking water came from a well a mile away, though back then rainwater was probably pretty close to fine anyway.
    Quote My grandparents cottage in the highlands had no running water, no electricity, outside loo that was nothing but a large bucket set in a frame with a wooden seat. My grandfather would disappear into the woods every so often with a spade and the bucket and later there would be a fresh new lavatory!
    Lmfao! This is not very far removed from my own experiences in the 2000's while growing up. I don't know how to feel about it lol

Quote I often heard them mention rationing, probably hoping to make us children more appreciative of just how well off we were.
    Because if you don't finish your food kids in Afrika will die... for some reason
    Tired

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th June 2022), Brigantia (31st July 2022), Ewan (11th June 2022), Mari (31st July 2022), O Donna (11th June 2022), pounamuknight (18th June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (11th June 2022), Tintin (16th December 2023), Vicus (11th June 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,301 times in 1,173 posts

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Ewan (23rd November 2022), Tintin (16th December 2023)

+ Reply to Thread