Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water Thread - Wells

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,563 times in 1,590 posts

Default Water Thread - Wells

I could not find any specific thread about water wells, except for posts, and they are spread around. Since water is one of if not the most important resource to sustain all sort of life in the planet, having a thread listing different methods of digging a well by hand, may be useful for some folks developing their own land, I am still researching and learning about it, then I am not an expert, I don't have all the answers, I hope with this thread others could add their experiences and also the mistakes then we all can learn from it.

One very important thing is soil type, some are not easy to dig, like rocky soil, but let's keep it simple, and only post what can be done by hand without using any machinery.

Here is one of the best videos I found on digging a well by hand, also it is a great work out

Here is some experience I had since I started looking into this:
    I inquired someone about digging a well in our land, the price was ridiculously expensive and out of question for me. The bore hole in question was about 12 inches in diameter and around 20 ft deep, but they gave no guarantee that water could be found at 20 ft and I would have to pay for any extra feet dug into the soil if necessary, of course I declined the offer, and after talk to my in laws and few other locals, they said I could find water digging around 10 feet deep, and in fact a few of them have it with solar pump and also manual pump (pitcher pump - this is the one that interest most for me), they have 6 inches bore holes, dug by hand, pretty much the same way shown in the video above, except they use a different type of auger tool, the ones here looks more like a driller with extensions that can be attached to it as you get deeper into the soil and they have sizes from 6" to 18" if I am not wrong, the common ones are 6" and 8", anything above that I guess it becomes heavy to dug by hand.

I got interested in wells, because since last 2 or 3 years, our seasonal stream is not providing enough water anymore, the seasonal river that runs down the mountain is completely dry, except in the raining season, it was not like that years ago.. many months ago after a long drought we had an insane flood, it covered many crops, people that I know had to move out of their land due to the water (this never happened before, and there is folks there in their 80's they can't remember any event like that), it took weeks to things get back to normal. I am seeing some extreme weather first hand here.

All right folks feel free to contribute whatever you can, much appreciated and thanks for reading it.
    Last edited by palehorse; 19th June 2022 at 07:58. Reason: small correction
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ankle Biter (22nd June 2022), Ben (27th June 2022), Bill Ryan (19th June 2022), bobme (21st June 2022), Brigantia (19th June 2022), Ewan (19th June 2022), Harmony (21st June 2022), Ioneo (19th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (19th June 2022), Mashika (19th June 2022), mojo (24th June 2022), O Donna (20th June 2022), Richard S. (19th June 2022), ronny (19th June 2022), RunningDeer (21st June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (22nd June 2022), Sunny (21st June 2022), Sunny-side-up (19th June 2022), Violet3 (21st June 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,173 times in 1,357 posts

Default Re: Water Thread - Wells

Do you have dowsers in Thailand? I met an elderly Welsh lady once who had been taught dowsing by her grandfather, and she had spent years successfully finding water supplies for farmers. If you can find a dowser, that could help you find the right spot for water.

Here's a random vid I found on YT, though I think there's a thread somewhere on this forum but I need to go to work soon:

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

Ankle Biter (22nd June 2022), Bill Ryan (19th June 2022), bobme (21st June 2022), Ewan (19th June 2022), Harmony (21st June 2022), Johnnycomelately (19th June 2022), Mashika (19th June 2022), O Donna (20th June 2022), palehorse (19th June 2022), RunningDeer (21st June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (22nd June 2022), Sunny (21st June 2022), Sunny-side-up (19th June 2022), Vangelo (19th June 2022), Violet3 (21st June 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Brigantia (here)
    Do you have dowsers in Thailand? I met an elderly Welsh lady once who had been taught dowsing by her grandfather, and she had spent years successfully finding water supplies for farmers. If you can find a dowser, that could help you find the right spot for water.

Here's a random vid I found on YT, though I think there's a thread somewhere on this forum but I need to go to work soon:

I am not sure, but the Mr. in the video he is using coat hangers as dowsing rods haha
    he also used the drinking straws to hold the dowsing rods..

Thanks Brigantia for the video, it is very specific about dowsing.
    --

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th June 2022), Brigantia (19th June 2022), Ewan (19th June 2022), Harmony (21st June 2022), Johnnycomelately (19th June 2022), Mashika (21st June 2022), O Donna (20th June 2022), RunningDeer (21st June 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,123 times in 3,951 posts

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    Quote Posted by Brigantia (here)

I am not sure, but the Mr. in the video he is using coat hangers as dowsing rods haha
    he also used the drinking straws to hold the dowsing rods..

Thanks Brigantia for the video, it is very specific about dowsing.
    Yes ? any sensitive hand held device will work.
    Any device that will register your body's slight reaction to the task.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th June 2022), Brigantia (19th June 2022), Ewan (20th June 2022), Harmony (21st June 2022), Johnnycomelately (19th June 2022), Mashika (21st June 2022), O Donna (20th June 2022), palehorse (21st June 2022), RunningDeer (21st June 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,742 times in 997 posts

Quote Posted by Sunny-side-up (here)

Yes ? any sensitive hand held device will work.
    Any device that will register your body's slight reaction to the task.
    My first reaction to OP’s post was water witching. Cool.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th June 2022), Brigantia (19th June 2022), Ewan (20th June 2022), Harmony (21st June 2022), Mashika (21st June 2022), palehorse (21st June 2022), RunningDeer (21st June 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Casey Claar's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,281 times in 758 posts

If you don't have land and cannot dig a well, this site is an incredible resource for finding natural springs:

https://findaspring.com
    "Love is what is left when you let go of everything you no longer need." —Raj

12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

AxisMundi (19th June 2022), Bill Ryan (19th June 2022), Brigantia (19th June 2022), Bubu (20th June 2022), Ewan (20th June 2022), Harmony (21st June 2022), Johnnycomelately (19th June 2022), Mashika (21st June 2022), mojo (24th June 2022), O Donna (20th June 2022), palehorse (21st June 2022), RunningDeer (21st June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (22nd June 2022), Sunny (21st June 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,268 times in 2,725 posts

Quote Posted by Casey Claar (here)
    If you don't have land and cannot dig a well, this site is an incredible resource for finding natural springs:

https://findaspring.com
    Water always flow down so basically you start searching / walking along creeks or rivers. If you see wayer flowing in follow it and youll find spring. Make sure though that it does not rain for the last 24 hours. A week without rain is better

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th June 2022), Brigantia (20th June 2022), Casey Claar (20th June 2022), Harmony (21st June 2022), Mashika (21st June 2022), palehorse (21st June 2022), RunningDeer (21st June 2022), Sunny (21st June 2022), TomKat (21st June 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Water dowsing works. Speaking from experience. Its not witching though. It has to do with magnetic field of which water is a good conductor. Anyting that conducts electricity will work. I use gi wire as it is readily available. Though I thinks copper ls best

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st June 2022), Harmony (21st June 2022), Mashika (21st June 2022), palehorse (21st June 2022), RunningDeer (21st June 2022), Sunny (21st June 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

We don't have those here ( rivers, creeks...... ) but, interestingly we do have quite a few hidden, underground springs. The most famous one right in West Los Angeles is located in a grade school. I never went to visit it, because as a grade school not just anyone can enter the campus. And, besides, it is located behind chain link fences and locked. But I was happy to know of its location when I was there, "just in case". It is incredible where some of these spring outlets are. Places you would never guess.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st June 2022), Harmony (21st June 2022), Mashika (21st June 2022), palehorse (21st June 2022), RunningDeer (21st June 2022), Sunny (21st June 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

We don't have those here ( rivers, creeks...... ) but, interestingly we do have quite a few hidden, underground springs. The most famous one right in West Los Angeles is located in a grade school. I never went to visit it, because as a grade school not just anyone can enter the campus. And, besides, it is located behind chain link fences and locked. But I was happy to know of its location when I was there, "just in case". It is incredible where some of these spring outlets are. Places you would never guess.

Hi @Claar, we don't have either except for the seasonal stream but it is not providing as before, that's the whole point I created this thread, to somehow put it all in one place, experiences in find underground water, digging a well may be the only solution for some.

The closest river we have is about 4km from the land, some people collect water with pumps and trucks with tanks, but this river dry out completely in the dry season, as many ponds goes under the minimum levels, some completely dry out.. that means if you don't have a water source you won't be able to farm, big issue around here.

@Johnnycomelately
    I laugh hard here about "water witching", me too when I first watched that video, the Mr. with the rods, I thought it was one of "those crazy videos", but after he found his water the video became very practical and interesting, I mean anyone in good shape can dig a well (even if not in good shape, it will just take more time haha), it is not an impossible task, and probably can save thousands of bucks if DIY.

I checked the prices for the tools, pitcher pump, PVC pipes, etc.. it worth DIY for small holders like me, specially if adopt dripping irrigation for the plants.
    --

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st June 2022), Casey Claar (21st June 2022), Harmony (21st June 2022), Mashika (21st June 2022), mojo (24th June 2022), RunningDeer (21st June 2022), Sunny (21st June 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,830 times in 3,335 posts

"Just in case"

That single small sentence, makes me feel terrified of the reason why that would have to be considered at all

"Hay Dios!" lmao, but honestly, just read it with an outsider world point of view! What's going on in this world?

I propose this sentence to be the past 2/3 years more adequate representation of current affairs. It should be some kind of motto and you get the gold price for it
    Last edited by Mashika; 21st June 2022 at 06:46.
    Tired

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st June 2022), Casey Claar (21st June 2022), Harmony (21st June 2022), palehorse (22nd June 2022), RunningDeer (21st June 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

My Dad’s friend showed him water dowsing with a thin, tree branch that resembled a wishbone shape. He held the two ends and the branch end would bend down. So when it came to find the right spot for our artisan well, my father had the older kids use welding rods bent in an “L” shape. We each did it without watching the others.

The rods automatically and consistently crossed. He had them drill in the designated spot. As a ten year old, I worried about what if I was wrong? Fortunately, the artisan well provided water for our family of ten. We never ran out.

The property also had a hand dug well. We use to prime the pump to get the hand pump going, i.e. pour water on the top of it as you begin to pump. The water was freezing cold.

How to INSTALL YOUR OWN WELL with a Sledge Hammer for FREE OFF GRID WATER (7:50)
    Drill a WELL in YOUR BACKYARD YOURSELF in a day with basic tools. Step by step of how I did it & you can too . FREE water for lawns, gardening, household use & more. You will not believe how easily this can be done & low cost.

All Parts & Tools:
    https://www.amazon.com/shop/silvercymbal

Well Parts:
    Sand Point: https://amzn.to/3zOc25a
    Pitcher Pump: https://amzn.to/3jLLX1j
    Well Couplers: https://amzn.to/3teCqmk
    Hammer Smash Cap: https://amzn.to/3jHDBYk
    Pipe 4 foot: https://amzn.to/3yKN45F (5 pack) or can be bought locally

Well Tools:
    Megaloc Pipe Dope: https://amzn.to/3kSrozw
    Monster Pipe Tape: https://amzn.to/3h0yTDg
    Pipe Wrench: https://amzn.to/3tdr1mK
    Post Hole Digger: https://amzn.to/3jG7w3g

Before you dig be sure to call dig safe or your local authority to mark out any lines or other potential hazards that could be underground.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st June 2022), Casey Claar (21st June 2022), Ewan (21st June 2022), Harmony (21st June 2022), Jambo (23rd June 2022), Mashika (21st June 2022), mojo (24th June 2022), palehorse (22nd June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (22nd June 2022), Sunny (21st June 2022)

25. Link to Post #13
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    My Dad’s friend showed him water dowsing with a thin, tree branch that resembled a wishbone shape. He held the two ends and the branch end would bend down. So when it came to find the right spot for our artisan well, my father had the older kids use welding rods bent in an “L” shape. We each did it without watching the others.

The rods automatically and consistently crossed. He had them drill in the designated spot. As a ten year old, I worried about what if I was wrong? Fortunately, the artisan well provided water for our family of ten. We never ran out.

The property also had a hand dug well. We use to prime the pump to get the hand pump going, i.e. pour water on the top of it as you begin to pump. The water was freezing cold.

How to INSTALL YOUR OWN WELL with a Sledge Hammer for FREE OFF GRID WATER (7:50)
    Drill a WELL in YOUR BACKYARD YOURSELF in a day with basic tools. Step by step of how I did it & you can too . FREE water for lawns, gardening, household use & more. You will not believe how easily this can be done & low cost.

All Parts & Tools:

Well Parts:

Well Tools:

Before you dig be sure to call dig safe or your local authority to mark out any lines or other potential hazards that could be underground.
    Those have to be inside your property, right? What would happen if you install one of those on the sidewalk just outside your home, but open enough so that other people can get some water if they need it? Would that require some kind of legal work be done? Or get you in trouble?
    Tired

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Ewan (23rd June 2022), Harmony (22nd June 2022), Jambo (23rd June 2022), palehorse (22nd June 2022), RunningDeer (22nd June 2022)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

All Parts & Tools:

Well Parts:

Well Tools:

It brings me very nice memories, we also had a hand dug well, my grandfather also had one in his home in the city, both was large ones, around 1.5m in diameter with bricks on wall, a rope and a bucket! an old relative built it in the 40's, I can only imagine how difficult that was, he did alone and both wells is around 15 meters deep, definitely we don't see these sort of things anymore.

Thanks, much appreciated for the video, it goes for the collection I never heard before about "Sand Point", the way he dug this well is much simpler and faster, kudos for the efficiency.

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    Those have to be inside your property, right? What would happen if you install one of those on the sidewalk just outside your home, but open enough so that other people can get some water if they need it? Would that require some kind of legal work be done? Or get you in trouble?
    I had seen a few pitcher pumps in the country side, on public rural roads, close to the rice fields, also close to small villages, but here is Thailand, I bet it is not the same elsewhere.

It may be interesting to inquiry the public office before build one to avoid losing time and money.

Here where I live there is a spring, it is inside a private property of someone and the owner installed a tap just outside his gates, it is free water for whoever want it, it is very kind gesture.
    --

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Ewan (23rd June 2022), Harmony (22nd June 2022), Jambo (23rd June 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), mojo (24th June 2022), RunningDeer (22nd June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (25th June 2022)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I like your idea, Mashika. I don’t know what the laws are today. That was in the 1960’s, on 23 acres of land in a rural community. It was a time when many land owners had hand dug wells.

There are places that I’ve moved to where there’s a spring fed water system available to the public. It’s equip with a faucet rather than a hand pump.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Ewan (23rd June 2022), Harmony (24th June 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), palehorse (26th June 2022)

31. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    It brings me very nice memories, we also had a hand dug well, my grandfather also had one in his home in the city, both was large ones, around 1.5m in diameter with bricks on wall, a rope and a bucket! an old relative built it in the 40's, I can only imagine how difficult that was, he did alone and both wells is around 15 meters deep, definitely we don't see these sort of things anymore.

Thanks, much appreciated for the video, it goes for the collection I never heard before about "Sand Point", the way he dug this well is much simpler and faster, kudos for the efficiency.
    Same with our well, palehorse. It was deep and wide enough for one person. I marvel at how they could build it so deep and reinforce the wall with stone like the walls you see in New England.

I recall one time where my father used a bucket rather than a the hand pump and a frog hitched a ride up.

Side note: Why were stone walls built in New England?
    The colonists in New England faced an uphill battle in turning the region's vast forests into farmland. They had to fell massive trees and contend with rocks strewn throughout the soil they aimed to plow. So, stone by stone, they stacked the rocks left over from glaciers into waist-high walls.

Last edited by RunningDeer; 22nd June 2022 at 16:35.

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Casey Claar (24th June 2022), Ewan (23rd June 2022), Harmony (24th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (22nd June 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), palehorse (26th June 2022)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

You dont have to have vreeks to have natural springs, wells or artisan wells. Natural springs in most cases a result of crack aqiefers. In the surface it forms cliffs. In my off grid place there is a cliff inside our land. I counted four small spring including one that releases 200 or so liters of wayer per minute. The tallest part of the cliff 400 meters fromy cabin is a huge spring releasing at least 100 liters of water per second. The river os far down below the mountain 1kilometer from my cabin. All waters from the wells at the foot of the cliff goes to that river.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th June 2022), Casey Claar (24th June 2022), Ewan (24th June 2022), Harmony (24th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (24th June 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), palehorse (26th June 2022), RunningDeer (24th June 2022)

35. Link to Post #18
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

I like your idea, Mashika. I don’t know what the laws are today. That was in the 1960’s, on 23 acres of land in a rural community. It was a time when many land owners had hand dug wells.

There are places that I’ve moved to where there’s a spring fed water system available to the public. It’s equip with a faucet rather than a hand pump.
    One of the problems i remember seeing around here (in rural Russia) is that the old systems are still around and the water looks clean and 'drinkable' but you never know for sure, so i suppose there would be some kind of law or regulation because you don't want to poison people around even if the water looks clean enough

I got reminded of that because of this, small villages around Russia have these all over. If you need some water just walk around and there will be one of these at some street, and then you just collect the water and go back home

But those are ancient, and you may or may not get poisoned by drinking that water. It's like a 50/50 chance
    Tired

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th June 2022), Casey Claar (24th June 2022), Ewan (25th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (24th June 2022), palehorse (26th June 2022), RunningDeer (24th June 2022)

37. Link to Post #19
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote One of the problems i remember seeing around here (in rural Russia) is that the old systems are still around and the water looks clean and 'drinkable' but you never know for sure, so i suppose there would be some kind of law or regulation because you don't want to poison people around even if the water looks clean enough.
    It is a good point. But having water TO filter after drawing, is waaaay better than having none.

Everyone should have some kind of filtration system. And as Bill would point out, awareness of how to use it.

Even simple dirt, charcoal, stones, etc..

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th June 2022), Ewan (25th June 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), palehorse (26th June 2022), Ron Mauer Sr (25th June 2022), RunningDeer (24th June 2022)

39. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks

But those are ancient, and you may or may not get poisoned by drinking that water. It's like a 50/50 chance
    The 22 FL OZ (650 mL) Sport Berkey Portable Water bottle is the ideal choice for a personal traveling companion - featuring Berkey's exclusive IONIC ADSORPTION MICRO FILTRATION TECHNOLOGY.

I purchased a couple of the Sport Berkey Water Bottles back when it was $28. It now goes for $50 (SALE $46). I also bought a lot of replacement filters.
    Berkley sports bottle refill capacity - 4X more from municipal vs. questionable:
    • questionable source: 160 Refills (25 gallons)
    • municipal water supply: 640 Refills (100 Gallons)
    Test results PDF: (over 250 contaminants)
    The bottle’s filter is designed to remove and/or dramatically reduce a vast array of health-threatening contaminants from questionable sources of water, including remote lakes and streams, stagnant ponds and water supplies in foreign countries where regulations may be sub standard, at best.

It is a good point. But having water TO filter after drawing, is waaaay better than having none.

Everyone should have some kind of filtration system. And as Bill would point out, awareness of how to use it.

Even simple dirt, charcoal, stones, etc..
    I use the Travel Berkey Water Filter at home & then I distill it with a Mophorn Pure Water Distiller.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 24th June 2022 at 21:25.

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th June 2022), Casey Claar (25th June 2022), Ewan (25th June 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), palehorse (26th June 2022), Ron Mauer Sr (25th June 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast