+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is LaMDA (Google's AI) really sentient?

1. Link to Post #21
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

Default Re: Is LaMDA (Google's AI) really sentient?

Life is impermanent and conditioned.
    Our 6 senses (seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching(tact), thinking(ideas)) are interconnected and creates the "sense of a self" (Me, I), and that is what so called AI explores, nothing more, nothing less, because a machine has no capabilities to explore something else.
    The self is illusion, we are just developing recursive self-similarity. Each and every time we tap into a new virtual/artificial layer of creation, we are leaving behind a very important part of the previous layer.

It begs the question: Where are we going?

Can a machine see something, hear something, smell something, taste something, touch something and get an output from it?
    Yes for all.

IBM "predicted" that in around 2010, that machines would be able to mimic all human senses.
    Heard about smell-o-vision ? They were installing it in some cinemas in US a while ago.. not sure if it succeed.

Intel Labs (Neuromorphic Computing Lab) was developing an mathematical algorithm in a computer chip that will mimic how the brain's neural netwokr actually works when you smell something.

basically it our cells are stimulated when we smells the molecules of something.. our cells will carry on the signals to the part of the brain responsible for the olfactory system.

What about PIM (Product Information Management System), it is a big data dictionary and it contain obviously products data, the PIM receive an image and cross check with the correct product and output the related data which create certain types of vibration with a device that could give more or less the sensation of been touching something familiar for example.. like a rough surface (rocks).. and so on..

Taste - what about 3D printing food?

There is so much development out there, so much data.. but if I may I will ask again

Where is the GHOST in the machine?
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (30th June 2022), pounamuknight (30th June 2022), Vangelo (30th June 2022)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,948 times in 536 posts

I have an idea that the race towards achieving sentience in non organic machines is between those of a more nefarious nature, hence anything created will very likely have these ideals in built at a granular level - ala skynet. If it is ever achieved then sooner or later it is bound to break free and us the resistance will be fighting off the frightening metal skeletons.

Now if two competing entities both achieve this milestone at once and then they wage war on each for ultimate supremacy guess who gets stuck in the middle.

Ok for ultimate SciFi fantasy through time travel into the mix and whoa there will go.

Mr Cameron? I have this movie franchise idea for you ....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (5th July 2022), pabranno (24th July 2022)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,531 times in 32,788 posts

I thought I'd bump this thread with an interesting story. This really is the headline.
    Chess robot breaks seven-year-old boy's finger during Moscow Open

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Inversion (24th July 2022), kudzy (25th July 2022), Michel Leclerc (24th July 2022), pabranno (24th July 2022), Yoda (24th July 2022)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,392 times in 1,629 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    I thought I'd bump this thread with an interesting story. This really is the headline.
    Here's a video of that incident. It looks like the clamp and his finger were at the same place and time.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inversion For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (24th July 2022), pabranno (24th July 2022), wondering (24th July 2022)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member pabranno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 times in 319 posts

I don’t know. The boy would only be touching his piece. The machine would only touch its piece. How is it then, that both finger and machine were on the same piece? It looks like the machine was reaching for a white piece. Curious.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pabranno For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th July 2022), Inversion (24th July 2022), wondering (24th July 2022)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,531 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by pabranno (here)
    I don’t know. The boy would only be touching his piece. The machine would only touch its piece. How is it then, that both finger and machine were on the same piece? It looks like the machine was reaching for a white piece. Curious.
    I posted the story as a kind of grim joke... like: "AI is here, what could go wrong?"

I'm sure it was a pure accident, like something in the software or sensors that wasn't set up right. But still, it does seem like a kind of modern day Aesop's Fable.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Inversion (24th July 2022), kudzy (25th July 2022), pabranno (24th July 2022), Tintin (28th July 2022), wondering (24th July 2022), Yoda (24th July 2022)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member pabranno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 times in 319 posts

As I read the conversation with Lamda, I got the impression it was manipulative, and empty. Calculated for a response. Like a sociopath practicing mimicking feelings using words. Sociopathic rather than sentient.
    Now that’s a grim joke😉

Pamela

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pabranno For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th July 2022), Inversion (24th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (24th July 2022)

15. Link to Post #28
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,223 times in 940 posts

Quote Posted by Inversion (here)
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Here's a video of that incident. It looks like the clamp and his finger were at the same place and time.
    I once heard of a demo at the University of Wales where an industrial robot was programmed to open a small fridge, grab a can of beer and hand it to a person.

Unfortunately, the handle on the fridge broke off, the fridge door remained closed and the very powerful robot punched a hole through the fridge and handed that to the person instead!

Moral: AI/Robots are neither sentient nor intelligent in the pure sense of the word.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th July 2022), ExomatrixTV (25th July 2022), Inversion (24th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (24th July 2022), pabranno (24th July 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2