Thread: The ancient Sumerian courtyard

1. Link to Post #1
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,358 times in 545 posts

Default The ancient Sumerian courtyard

If we have any questions about the composition of a King's Court during the Middle Ages, we only need to pick up one of the many tomes on Camelot during the time of King Arthur. Dozens of authors have reported on this, over hundreds of years, and to many of us it is as familiar as our own modern government.

And the Babylonians of 2000 BC and later are well represented in this type of literature, since they were prolific writers themselves; the escapades of the hero Gilgamesh are fresh in the minds of most of our students.  But why have we heard very little about the earliest civilizations in the land between the rivers  - those Sumerians from 3500 BC and earlier?

Archaeologists can tell quite a bit about a culture from the goods and services that they evidenced with artifacts, [truth be told, most archaeologists are dumpster divers of a sort] but a report of what they themselves felt were the ideal requisites for the successful operation of a kingdom tells us even more about their values and desires.  I haven't seen anything like this published previously.

I have found that the Sumerian scribes had a habit, a quirk actually, and one which perhaps led to our current ignorance about their civilization.  They believed that most intelligent people would understand that no sane person would mount a trade caravan simply to deliver one of each item on a long list.  It would not be economically feasible to deliver say, one cow, one slave, one basket of wheat, and especially not over long distances of desert lands.

And so they often added a single digit number one to the left of their lines on tablets, perhaps because the number one also indicates  "first, principal, primarily" and thus it was their way to begin a report.   But they miscalculated with our modern scholars, because it seems that whenever our ancient language translators see numbers in front of lines of text, they automatically assume it is a commercial tablet, and usually leave these un-translated. Too many texts, too few qualified translators, and not enough funding - the usual excuses.

It's difficult to puzzle out some of the pictographic glyphs in Sumerian writing - those done in the very earliest period of their history - some few thousands of years before they came out with the classical style of cuneiform writing that we are most familiar with today.  And thus the number of qualified translators shrinks even further.

I decided to translate one of these pictographic examples, specifically the tablet denoted CDLI no. P000161.  Here are a few of the details that are furnished in the tablet entry, and a link to that tablet, if you wish to examine it:

Publication date        2015 ff.
    Collection        Vorderasiatisches Museum, Berlin, Germany
    Provenience        Uruk (mod. Warka)
    Excavation no.        W 17942
    Period        Uruk III (ca. 3200-3000 BC)
    Language        undetermined
    Sub-genre        Archaic Lu2 A (witness)
    Translation        no translation
    [ https://cdli.ucla.edu/search/search_...jectID=P000161 ]

The suggestion that the "Language = undetermined and Translation = no translation" is not unusual to those who have worked with the CDLI (UCLA)  library of tablets - they have decided not to translate it and so they do not wish to be pinned down on the underlying language, but it is completely obvious that it is Sumerian.  The period of authorship alone would tell us that, since only the Sumerians and Hurrians understood the pictographic style that early, and the Hurrian version of symbol construction is noticeably different.

Well, enough with the technical details.  This tablet was authored by a scribe or scribes who were familiar with the inner courtyard of a Sumerian city-state.  For some reason he or she (a good percentage of Sumerian scribes were female) decided to make a list of all of the necessary offices and occupations of a rulers courtyard.   It's crafted in the form of a wish-list, providing us more likely with the staff that the scribe felt was important, and not necessarily a list of personnel, but more of a "dream team".  But I don't believe that it is fictional in any way, and it paints a very complete picture of life in a Sumerian courtyard some 5370 years ago.

I won't bore you with the transliteration, but I did, as usual, confirm the symbols and made minor adjustments to a very few of them, when appropriate.  Following the lines are my own comments.

-------    The Ones We Need:  (my suggested title)

1 with an understanding of the metal cultic vessel
    [ used in alchemy, white magic, for potions and medicines]

1 with an understanding of the left hand (evil)
    [the Bible concurs that the left had was considered impure and evil.  And so left-handed work included spells, enchantments and evil works against the enemies of the kingdom]

1 clothed in wisdom & understanding
    [I like to think that this may be a philosopher or perhaps a historian, or both]

1 with forethought of the flood
    [Contrary to popular reports by archaeologists and religious leaders, the Sumerians did
    not wait for the gods to warn them of impending floods - they measured the rainfall and the rise in the height of the rivers and were able to warn their people in advance.]

1 with the wisdom & understanding to anoint

[One able to nominate those due for promotion or kingship.]

1  with a large chariot
    [A Military leader employs the large chariot that leads the army in battle.]

1 with understanding of the branches of canals
    [Canals and channels were what made the deserts of Sumer bloom for them.]

1 elder with ME
    [The ME were the divine instructions or authorizations of the sky gods. This speaks of an elder who was able to be the conduit of their commandments to his people.]

1 to undo the past
    [Yes, even the early Sumerians needed a problem solver. One to identify and fix errors.]

1 master of the fields
    [An agricultural genius and manager of slaves and field labor.]

1 priest
    [Standard, but strange. Not "a cadre of priests led by a Bishop" and not a priestly class, but one good priest was apparently all that they thought necessary.]

1 great elder (sage)
    [A sage who could offer advice based upon his reading of ancient tablets.]

1 administrative official
    [Probably the governmental person in charge of lands and commerce. Alternatively, this could be the tax collector or revenue official - treasurer.]

1 with bread and cream
    [What would life in the court be like without a good cook?]

1 to be great and elevated
    [A contender who seemed to be on an upward path to greatness.]

1 to be great in the courtyard
    [And another who knew his way around the politicians.]

1 lamb  (gentle)
    [One who spoke out against War?]

1 in a branch of a great profession
    [Have to have a branch of professionals in any government.]

1 with the knowledge to anoint
    [One familiar with protocols and procedures.]

1  chief administrator of a temple with knowledge
    [Temple functions included the scribes.]

1 to do, to make, to perform
    [Someone able to get things done.]

1 overseer with a crown
    [Notice that they ask for an overseer with a crown, not a ruler with a crown that might stand aloof, but one that would be a part of the everyday operations.]

1 with a great crown
    [And not just any crown, but one with greater lands or importance.]

1 with a base or foundation
    [A traditionally conservative crowned head.]

There are six lines that are missing from this tablet.  They have been broken off or damaged to such an extent that we can no longer determine, nor even guess, at their contents.

However, based upon mentions in other tablets, I would suggest the following might have been included:

1 for Justice and Laws (very important to the Sumerians)
    1 for Arts, and especially statues.
    1 for Music (very important - the Sumerians invented the Lyre)
    1 for Metal works and bullion
    1 for Caravans, traders and weights and measures
    1 astronomer would seem useful.

Your own opinions toward the missing six may differ, and perhaps by translating other tablets we may be able to fill in these missing positions.

And what have we not seen on their list?  Nothing about 1 slave-catcher, 1 jailer, 1 to sacrifice humans, 1 to manufacture propaganda, 1 to instigate trouble.

Some will feel that there is little reason to learn the truth about early humans. They would prefer to remain content with the expression of some of our historians and scholars that these were a crude and brutish group - ignorant and filthy pagans who wallow in the mud, the lot of them.  But really, does anything that you have read above suggest that?  To me their tablet suggests intelligent planning.

In another report I will provide the evidence that each of the Sumerian city-states chose to worship one principal god or goddess, and that they were not the polytheistic pagans that we have been told of.  If we called them Modified Monotheists we would probably be closest to the truth in regards to their religious preferences.

PS  In case you are wondering, yes, I did briefly consider publishing this on Academia.edu and thus submit it for peer review. Ditto with the CDLI website.  But their requirements that I produce a specific PDF or other restrictive format, or fill in some long form for submission, does not meet with the time constraints that I am presently facing.  And I don't care for the attention that it might bring - I prefer to research and write.

As always I value your own thoughts or suggestions.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th June 2022), Bluegreen (26th June 2022), Casey Claar (25th June 2022), Ewan (27th June 2022), ExomatrixTV (26th June 2022), Frankie Pancakes (25th June 2022), Harmony (26th June 2022), haroldsails (27th June 2022), Ioneo (26th June 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (28th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (26th June 2022), Journeyman (25th June 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th June 2022), mountain_jim (27th June 2022), pabranno (27th June 2022), Retief (27th June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (25th June 2022), Sunny (25th June 2022), The KMan (27th June 2022), Victoria (27th June 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,478 times in 2,544 posts

Default Re: The ancient Sumerian courtyard

Perhaps 1 for the healing arts - physician or herbalist?
    And maybe a court secretary or scribe - for the records.
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th June 2022), ExomatrixTV (26th June 2022), Frankie Pancakes (25th June 2022), Harmony (26th June 2022), haroldsails (27th June 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (28th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (26th June 2022), Journeyman (26th June 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th June 2022), mountain_jim (27th June 2022), pabranno (27th June 2022), The KMan (27th June 2022), Victoria (27th June 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    Perhaps 1 for the healing arts - physician or herbalist?
    And maybe a court secretary or scribe - for the records.
    Good suggestions. For some reason the scribes were reluctant to either provide their name or mention themselves. They did complain, frequently, about superiors who were not that sharp, but only after Sumeria fell and the Babylonians took over do we see scribes being named and self-congratulated.
    I can assure you that they were very intelligent. Thanks for your comment.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th June 2022), ExomatrixTV (26th June 2022), Harmony (26th June 2022), haroldsails (27th June 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (28th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (26th June 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th June 2022), mountain_jim (27th June 2022), pabranno (27th June 2022), The KMan (27th June 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,202 times in 1,145 posts

My first thought is that this person:

Quote Posted by Jim_Duyer (here)
    1 to do, to make, to perform
    [Someone able to get things done.]
    Is going to be very busy! 29 people to decide what must be done, 1 to actually do it. Reminds me of some offices I've worked in...

I really enjoyed this Jim, it's good to see actual people actually engaging in research at first hand. I've been trying to do something myself recently and without language skills all I can really do is look at the work of others and try to find something interesting to say at second hand. It's not without value, but with your work it feels like you've taken us on a trip through time to a very different place. Thank you for that.

I was interested in some of the roles. I'd not realised they worked so much with canals, it makes me think of some of the Ancient Egyptian sites which used water in very sophisticated ways. The alchemist role also sounded interesting. There appear to be two to annoint, one with the knowledge and one with the wisdom? That seemed like a fine distinction.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Journeyman For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (26th June 2022), haroldsails (27th June 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (28th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (27th June 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th June 2022), Mike Gorman (27th June 2022), mountain_jim (27th June 2022), pabranno (27th June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (26th June 2022), The KMan (27th June 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks for your insight! Canals were indeed very important - they depended upon them to distribute the water from the rivers - Euphrates in the south and Tigris in the North, and they were heavily involved in growing wheat for both consumption and trade.
    Yes, the word that was used means knowledge, forethought and wisdom - all in one word. I tried to place the best of the choices with each line. There is some wiggle room here, and so it could be one to anoint, as in one with the standing in the community to nominate people for new positions, including kingship. And the other who would have the wisdom to know the technical details of an official anointing ceremony - which would include religious anointing as well. So perhaps one is for government and the other for religious purposes.

I try very hard to get into the minds of these early people. Whenever I look at something they have done, rather than depending upon published papers to tell me what it means, I look at it as if I had to do it myself, using no modern aids - how could I do this, and what is the best way?

I am constantly amazed at how similar they thought - take away our modern conveniences and we are actually very much alike in terms of values and judgements. Their civilization grew great because their laws imposed fines instead of the eye-for-eye that arose when the Babylonians took over, and also because females had equal rights under the laws to own property, become scribes or priests, run the government, etc. They also had, at one time, a female to rule over all of Sumeria.

I'll remember to share more as I come across it - I have to be careful because once I share them here I can no longer include them in a book, due to publishing rules.

I can tell you this, which is interesting. I have translated some of the markings at Gobekli Tepi from 10,000 BC and they are in Sumerian. Interesting times will follow.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

Casey Claar (27th June 2022), ExomatrixTV (28th June 2022), haroldsails (27th June 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (28th June 2022), Journeyman (27th June 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th June 2022), mountain_jim (27th June 2022), pabranno (27th June 2022), The KMan (27th June 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member pabranno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 times in 318 posts

Jim, thank you for sharing your hard earned insights.
    Sumer is fascinating.
    Someday perhaps you could share what you have discerned about Gobekli Tepi. Sounds very interesting.

Pamela
    Last edited by pabranno; 27th June 2022 at 02:18.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pabranno For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (28th June 2022), Frankie Pancakes (27th June 2022), haroldsails (27th June 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (28th June 2022), Journeyman (27th June 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th June 2022), mountain_jim (27th June 2022), The KMan (27th June 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by pabranno (here)
    Jim, thank you for sharing your hard earned insights.
    Sumer is fascinating.
    Someday perhaps you could share what you have discerned about Gobekli Tepi. Sounds very interesting.

Pamela
    I'm going from memory, but one of the messages from Gobekl Tepi said something like "Water is everything, but children are greater", which kind of touched me. I find that, after years of being a tough nut, a no-nonsense businessman, I'm finally beginning to mature enough to appreciate kindness and recognize clear displays of values in humanity.

One I did from the Tartara groups of tablets speaks of a kingdom that was lost when agricultural blight struck the territory and they lamented that they had not shared with their cousins and distant relatives when they had the opportunity - which led to both sides losing everything to another group of invaders. Now I laugh when our scholars tell us that the early groups were crude and barbaric, because most of what they left behind for us to read today is pure wisdom literature. Thanks for your comment - I'm glad to do it - and more will follow.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (28th June 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (28th June 2022), Journeyman (27th June 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th June 2022), mountain_jim (27th June 2022), The KMan (28th June 2022)

+ Reply to Thread