Thread: Voyager 1 Conundrum

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,294 times in 1,173 posts

Default Voyager 1 Conundrum

Am surprised nothing to be found on this subject on the Forum, perhaps there are some loose posts about this, did not find any hits on the advanced search though.

This deserves not only its own Thread, but also some attention since it is really interesting and mysterious.

So, what is Voyager 1? Gonna Wiki this one:

Quote Voyager 1 is a space probe launched by NASA on September 5, 1977, as part of the Voyager program to study the outer Solar System and interstellar space beyond the Sun's Heliosphere. Launched 16 days after its twin Voyager 2, Voyager 1 has been operating for 44 years, 9 months and 25 days as of July 1, 2022 UTC and still communicates with the Deep Space Network to receive routine commands and to transmit data to Earth. Real-time distance and velocity data is provided by NASA and JPL. At a distance of 156.25 AU (23.375 billion km; 14.524 billion mi) from Earth as of June 29, 2022, it is the most distant artificial object from Earth.
    Source
    As you can see in the Quoted text above, it's a fair way from Terra at this stage and you know what? It's frikkin' acting up, acting up while perfectly operating at the same time, yes, interesting ansich. Operating perfectly, meaning that the probe does not seem in distress, acting up because it is sending weird telemetry data to Earth. And no, I do not think or suspect any Alien crap going on in a direct, or to the probe, physical way.

Vger's Brains

What is going on is puzzling though, but first of all, what is Telemetry Data?

Quote Telemetry data is collected from sensors at remote sources. A typical telemetry system consists of an input device called a transducer, a medium of transmission (usually radio waves), equipment for receiving and processing the signal, and storage systems.
    Now, I can imagine that on Voyager it will work a little different, key here is, to me anyway, radio waves. In any case, Voyager 1 is sending anomalous data, well, that's what they say at Nasa, I believe them too on this one btw. Thing is, before Voyager 1 met anything it was new to the probe right?. But not to Nasa, Nasa could verify the Telemetry because it already had the source of things, not this time though. This time the probe found something we have no clue exists, to the probe the telemetry is just fine, just not to us. This could basically mean two things, probably more, but two coming to mind.

This probe is being flying in a non existence because it has reached the end of structure and is now directed in a looped existence, not realizing this, it is after all a robot. Or second, something's sitting there and it is very big. It makes me think if this is the reason certain space telescopes have been hit by shrapnel suddenly. Perhaps they are trying to take a look? Dunno, I would anyway. Well, if they'd think it viable.

Why do I think it is working fine and the Data makes sense once you know what's going on?

Quote The Voyager’s computer system was very impressive as well. Knowing the craft would be on its own much of the time, with the lag between command and response from Earth growing longer the farther the craft went into space, engineers developed a self-repairing computer system. The computer has multiple modules that compare the data they receive and the output instructions they decide on. If one module differs from the others, it's assumed to be faulty and is eliminated from the system, replaced by one of the backup modules. It was tested shortly after launch, when a delay in boom deployment was misread as a malfunction. The problem was corrected successfully.
    Source
    It would know if something was wrong, it makes everything really interesting because it is a genuine mystery (until it is not.. future reader).

Below the info on the Data received.

Quote The team can steer the spacecraft, and that, paired with the signal’s strength and a lack of fault protection activation, tells them that Voyager 1 is doing well. But the telemetry signal itself “does not make any sense,” producing either all zeros or the number 377, Dodd says.
    Source

It is strange, far fetched even, but eh, mysteries and fecal matter, only thing missing is a Great Dane, 0377, 377 was a law in India, it was not a just law, but it was also designated as Against the order of Nature act, what if some now deceased engineer has programmed this into the probe if something unnatural would come to pass? A code only he/she knew about and based a different meaning onto it? Not imagining the probe would outlive that person? So no one realizes...
    Last edited by 9ideon; 2nd July 2022 at 04:48.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Alecs (2nd July 2022), Brigantia (2nd July 2022), Franny (1st July 2022), Harmony (2nd July 2022), Inversion (1st July 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (1st July 2022), Johnnycomelately (3rd July 2022), Journeyman (1st July 2022), kudzy (5th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (2nd July 2022), Mike Gorman (2nd July 2022), mountain_jim (3rd July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022), onevoice (3rd July 2022), Spiral (2nd July 2022), Tintin (3rd July 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

Default Re: Voyager 1 Conundrum

If there is anyone with knowledge on the engineering team whom worked on Vger1 & 2 at the start, working way up from thereon?

We'd be looking for a couple things connected to this person.

1-) Might have both Engineering and a Law degree, perhaps with a specific direction of Colonial Law (British Empire).
    2-) Could either be British or Common Wealth (British) or dual Citizenship, 1st one being US.
    3-) Could be Gay.
    4-) All of the above and of Indian Descent.

Anyone familiar with the crew that built those probes, let us know please.
    Last edited by 9ideon; 2nd July 2022 at 07:20.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Alecs (2nd July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022), Tintin (3rd July 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

Could it be because they turned the heat off to certain instruments ? They are running at far lower temperatures than they were tested at, and that was nearly half a century ago...

Quote A JPL representative tells Inverse that both spacecraft have less power to “spend,” a perpetual condition that has been the case since they launched in 1977. In 1989, the mission turned off Voyager 2’s cameras to save energy.

“The imaging subsystem was one of the first to be turned off to conserve battery power, because once we were past Neptune, there’s very little to see,” Hammel says. “At some point, they turned Voyager 1 around and took the picture of the Solar System — the ‘Pale Blue Dot’ — but there was really no science to be done with the imaging system. So they were turned off.”

The team turned off instruments that were part of Voyager’s planetary missions.

What’s changed over the last three years is that, now, Voyager is turning off the heat source to the instruments the team had selected to remain operational for the current interstellar mission. In 2019, they shut off the heat source to Voyager 2’s cosmic ray subsystem (CRS) instrument, but this apparatus isn’t “off”, CRS is still sending back data.

Voyager is entering a more “aggressive” campaign to save energy, channeling Voyager’s diminishing nuclear energy away from some instruments so that others can continue running. The team is thrilled, in fact, that each of the turned-off instruments across both spacecraft, like CRS, is still operating well. That’s in spite of them now getting exposed to frigid temperatures much lower than what they experienced during testing almost half a century ago.

https://www.inverse.com/science/voyager-update

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

9ideon (2nd July 2022), Alecs (2nd July 2022), Johnnycomelately (3rd July 2022), Journeyman (2nd July 2022), mountain_jim (3rd July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Spiral (here)
    Could it be because they turned the heat off to certain instruments ? They are running at far lower temperatures than they were tested at, and that was nearly half a century ago...

Quote A JPL representative tells Inverse that both spacecraft have less power to “spend,” a perpetual condition that has been the case since they launched in 1977. In 1989, the mission turned off Voyager 2’s cameras to save energy.

“The imaging subsystem was one of the first to be turned off to conserve battery power, because once we were past Neptune, there’s very little to see,” Hammel says. “At some point, they turned Voyager 1 around and took the picture of the Solar System — the ‘Pale Blue Dot’ — but there was really no science to be done with the imaging system. So they were turned off.”

The team turned off instruments that were part of Voyager’s planetary missions.

What’s changed over the last three years is that, now, Voyager is turning off the heat source to the instruments the team had selected to remain operational for the current interstellar mission. In 2019, they shut off the heat source to Voyager 2’s cosmic ray subsystem (CRS) instrument, but this apparatus isn’t “off”, CRS is still sending back data.

Voyager is entering a more “aggressive” campaign to save energy, channeling Voyager’s diminishing nuclear energy away from some instruments so that others can continue running. The team is thrilled, in fact, that each of the turned-off instruments across both spacecraft, like CRS, is still operating well. That’s in spite of them now getting exposed to frigid temperatures much lower than what they experienced during testing almost half a century ago.

https://www.inverse.com/science/voyager-update
    That's just it, they ruled out any tech issues, they know it is running out of "fuel" in about 2-3 years, it should not have any effect now, what I am interested in is to wait and see what 2 does.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Alecs (2nd July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022), Spiral (2nd July 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Vangelo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 times in 567 posts

Quote Posted by 9ideon (here)

Quote Telemetry data is collected from sensors at remote sources. A typical telemetry system consists of an input device called a transducer, a medium of transmission (usually radio waves), equipment for receiving and processing the signal, and storage systems.
    Now, I can imagine that on Voyager it will work a little different, key here is, to me anyway, radio waves. In any case, Voyager 1 is sending anomalous data, well, that's what they say at Nasa, I believe them too on this one btw. Thing is, before Voyager 1 met anything it was new to the probe right?. But not to Nasa, Nasa could verify the Telemetry because it already had the source of things, not this time though. This time the probe found something we have no clue exists, to the probe the telemetry is just fine, just not to us. This could basically mean two things, probably more, but two coming to mind.

This probe is being flying in a non existence because it has reached the end of structure and is now directed in a looped existence, not realizing this, it is after all a robot. Or second, something's sitting there and it is very big. It makes me think if this is the reason certain space telescopes have been hit by shrapnel suddenly. Perhaps they are trying to take a look? Dunno, I would anyway. Well, if they'd think it viable.

Hi 9ideon, I don't think I fully understand the problem. This is what I think I understand so far, please confirm and correct...
    • NASA engineers do not understand the telemetry data Voyager 1 is sending to earth.
    • The computer systems on Voyager are able to validate the accuracy of the telemetry data and those validations tell us that the data is good.
    • Given that the on-board validators appear to be working correctly, the data is probably good but the meaning/interpretation of what the telemetry data is telling us is the problem.

Given the above, the next question I have is... how is telemetry data determined?

Since I have no background or knowledge of this topic, I presumed that the telemetry data was calculated relative to the earth. By this I mean Voyager would send a ping to earth, the earth receiver would send a return ping and from that the computers on Voyager would calculate distance, speed, etc. and send that back to earth. Is this correct?

I'm guessing from this comment that the problem may be because Voyager is receiving a ping from something other than earth? Also, does that imply that the thing lies between Voyager and Earth?
    "... something's sitting there and it is very big."
    Happiness comes from within, nowhere else.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vangelo For This Post:

9ideon (2nd July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022), Spiral (2nd July 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Vangelo (here)

Hi 9ideon, I don't think I fully understand the problem. This is what I think I understand so far, please confirm and correct...
    • NASA engineers do not understand the telemetry data Voyager 1 is sending to earth.
    • The computer systems on Voyager are able to validate the accuracy of the telemetry data and those validations tell us that the data is good.
    • Given that the on-board validators appear to be working correctly, the data is probably good but the meaning/interpretation of what the telemetry data is telling us is the problem.

Given the above, the next question I have is... how is telemetry data determined?

Since I have no background or knowledge of this topic, I presumed that the telemetry data was calculated relative to the earth. By this I mean Voyager would send a ping to earth, the earth receiver would send a return ping and from that the computers on Voyager would calculate distance, speed, etc. and send that back to earth. Is this correct?

I'm guessing from this comment that the problem may be because Voyager is receiving a ping from something other than earth? Also, does that imply that the thing lies between Voyager and Earth?
    "... something's sitting there and it is very big."
    As I understand it, it takes 2 days to sent both directions (around 20 hrs per transmission sent), they use antenna's to receive all the data, I believe at 3 different locations on Earth, when received it's sent to team for Vger missions.

Quote Spacecraft send information and pictures back to Earth using the Deep Space Network (DSN), a collection of big radio antennas. The antennas also receive details about where the spacecraft are and how they are doing. NASA also uses the DSN to send lists of instructions to the spacecraft.
    Quote The radio communication system of Voyager 1 was designed to be used up to and beyond the limits of the Solar System. The communication system includes a 3.7-meter (12 ft) diameter high gain Cassegrain antenna to send and receive radio waves via the three Deep Space Network stations on the Earth.

This is how the sending is done, the more tech questions, best check this link, myself, not a technerd either https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/new...itude-control/.

It is not getting info from another source, no, the craft is working fine, it has all been checked out, it's just the data which is suddenly showing that 0377, which is interesting because it makes no sense to us, but it does to the machine, now that's the mystery here.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Nasu (5th July 2022), Spiral (2nd July 2022), Vangelo (2nd July 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,424 times in 554 posts

Well, after you showed me the right link, I followed it, examined the erroneous data that Voyager 1 was returning, and then I began to laugh. I have "solved" the mysterious signal (took me an hour), and will be posting it later today - having such a grand time decoding the first message from Aliens that NASA has published (though certainly not the first message from aliens).

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

9ideon (2nd July 2022), mountain_jim (3rd July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Jim_Duyer (here)
    Well, after you showed me the right link, I followed it, examined the erroneous data that Voyager 1 was returning, and then I began to laugh. I have "solved" the mysterious signal (took me an hour), and will be posting it later today - having such a grand time decoding the first message from Aliens that NASA has published (though certainly not the first message from aliens).
    To Boldly go Jim..... To boldly go..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Nasu (5th July 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

As the OP has very astutely informed us, very recently we have an official missive from NASA telling us about a series of weird signals that they are receiving from the Voyager 1 craft, deep in space.

Each Voyager space probe also carries a gold-plated audio-visual disc, should the spacecraft ever be found by intelligent life forms from other planetary systems. The disc carries photos of the Earth and its lifeforms, a range of scientific information, spoken greetings from people such as the Secretary-General of the United Nations and the President of the United States and a medley, "Sounds of Earth," that includes the sounds of whales, a baby crying, waves breaking on a shore, and a collection of music including works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Blind Willie Johnson, Chuck Berry and Valya Balkanska. But no data on who chose those particular hits for our first impression.

However, the engineering team with NASA’s Voyager 1 spacecraft is currently trying to solve a mystery: Their interstellar explorer is operating normally, receiving and executing commands from Earth, along with gathering and returning science data. But readouts from the probe’s attitude articulation and control system (AACS) don’t reflect what’s actually happening onboard.

The AACS controls the 45-year-old spacecraft’s orientation. Among other tasks, it keeps Voyager 1’s high-gain antenna pointed precisely at Earth, enabling it to send data home. All signs suggest the AACS is still working, but the telemetry data it’s returning is invalid. For instance, the data may appear to be randomly generated, or does not reflect any possible state the AACS could be in. It's beaming back an abnormal message to NASA, and they’re scrambling to understand why.

Mission team members like project manager Suzanne Dodd — who began working on the Voyager 1 and 2 spacecraft 38 years ago as her first job out of college in 1984, are trying to figure out what is happening on this faraway probe. Here's the background — "Is it aliens?" Inverse Magazine asks Dodd, mostly jokingly and just to get it out of the way. "No, I don’t think so," she says after laughing. "It’s something in the circuitry," she says. "Which, if you think of 45-year-old circuitry, it’s amazing that it’s working at all."

The team can steer the spacecraft, and that, paired with the signal’s strength and a lack of fault protection activation, tells them that Voyager 1 is doing well. But the telemetry signal itself "does not make any sense," producing either all zeros or the number 377, Dodd says. "Somewhere in the interface with the flight data system … there’s something that’s causing the telemetry data to be mixed up, I guess, or nonsensical," Dodd says. "And we don’t understand that yet."

I'm personally moved to tears! Can't we help NASA out? Well, yes, we can.

So we have our first message from Outer Space - at least the first one that has been publically published by NASA. Or do we? Let's decipher it and see.

I'm a writer. So kindly allow me to tell the story as I would write it.

One day, about 2 years ago or so, a group of extraterrestrials noticed a tiny craft that was ever so slowly approaching their location. Wow, they marveled, the Earthlings are certainly stretching out, aren't they? And, like the contest lovers that they are, they decided to have a Grand Contest called "let's play with NASA", and all were invited to participate. The Grand Contest had rules:

1. Make a reply using their own spacecraft to broadcast it.
    2. It must be in English, because God forbid NASA would learn a foreign language.
    3. It must be simple to solve, because - well, it's NASA after all.
    4. The one using the least number of characters wins.
    5. The message must contain a friendly greeting, and provide our location as well, just in case they someday wish to reply to us.
    6. The First Place Prize will be the Golden Record that is onboard the Voyager I, and (since the aliens have a low tolerance for alcohol) all Your Beer for a Year! (Proving once and for all that not only are Scientists cheap, they are universally cheap).

After careful judging, a Mr. George Jetson was chosen as the winner. He was able to craft a message that met the requirements using only three numbers! His use of 3,7, and 0 was held to be pure genius, and great fun as well. And as icing on the cake, he promised to get the NASA group to wave their craft in an up and down nodding fashion as a bonus! Sort of like an acknowledgement of their receipt of the extraterrestrial message.

In interviews on Universal CNN, Mr. Jetson stated that he had originally thought to use four numbers, as in the series 4,3,7,0, but after due consideration he felt that would be too simple even for NASA, and that by compacting it into three numbers they would still be able to understand his message.

But he miscalculated the intelligence levels at NASA, because, to all outward reports, they are still puzzling over his message. He wanted to express a friendly greeting while assuring them that their craft was not malfunctioning, and to let them know his location. Locations in space are determined by distance and bearings. The distance was easy - it's the location of the Voyager 1 in space at the time when he first sent his message. That would give them the distance from Earth, and by telling them that, based upon the present heading of the Voyager 1 craft the aliens were located to the South-East of it, at about their Five o'clock position, they would have the bearing to the home planet as well. Easy Peazy.

His award winning entry was 377 followed by zeros, which totals three distinct number characters and is the reason that his entry won First Prize. In the example below that reproduces his message, I am using 6 zeros following the 377, but it could be six thousand and it would not change his message to any degree. And, by the way, NASA is not being very forthcoming on exactly how many zeros were recorded, and it is entirely possible that that count might contain yet another message part. But for the purposes of this example I am using 6.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PUZZLE2.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	49226

And as to George's first idea to use 4,3,7 and 0, that would have provided the "h" for Hello! But in considering this, I realized that in much of Europe they really don't pronounce very clearly the "h" that begins hello - preferring instead to make it sound something like our ELL000000. And in listening to how people pick up the phone on television shows from the 1960s, it seems that Americans also tended to pronounce it more like either ELLOOOOO or ALLOOOO.

My personal opinion is that this is yet another Luis Elizondo (To the Stars!) PSYOP, designed to get us to take our attention off of the sickening economy by saying - Hey, Look over Here! We've got an Alien Message! NASA was probably hoping that somebody would figure this out and post it on YouTube as the first alien message from space. Since most of the social media is controlled by the Intelligence agencies of one type or another, they would push it to the hilt with positive placement, guaranteeing millions of views, and thus erasing some of the memories of Joe's latest Lost in Space episode of his own making.

Luckily, we're much sharper than NASA and we didn't fall for it. But it was fun. In order to test out whether the Voyager 1 was still responding to their radio commands, NASA did sort of wave it up and down, so George was right about that part as well.

PS - George says thanks for the Golden Disk - he really enjoys the Blind Willie Johnson songs.
    Last edited by Jim_Duyer; 2nd July 2022 at 18:19.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

9ideon (2nd July 2022), Johnnycomelately (3rd July 2022), Journeyman (5th July 2022), Michel Leclerc (2nd July 2022), mountain_jim (3rd July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022), onevoice (3rd July 2022), rabbitcarrot (6th July 2022), Spiral (3rd July 2022), Vangelo (2nd July 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

As the OP has very astutely informed us, very recently we have an official missive from NASA telling us about a series of weird signals that they are receiving from the Voyager 1 craft, deep in space.

Each Voyager space probe also carries a gold-plated audio-visual disc, should the spacecraft ever be found by intelligent life forms from other planetary systems. The disc carries photos of the Earth and its lifeforms, a range of scientific information, spoken greetings from people such as the Secretary-General of the United Nations and the President of the United States and a medley, "Sounds of Earth," that includes the sounds of whales, a baby crying, waves breaking on a shore, and a collection of music including works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Blind Willie Johnson, Chuck Berry and Valya Balkanska. But no data on who chose those particular hits for our first impression.

However, the engineering team with NASA’s Voyager 1 spacecraft is currently trying to solve a mystery: Their interstellar explorer is operating normally, receiving and executing commands from Earth, along with gathering and returning science data. But readouts from the probe’s attitude articulation and control system (AACS) don’t reflect what’s actually happening onboard.

The AACS controls the 45-year-old spacecraft’s orientation. Among other tasks, it keeps Voyager 1’s high-gain antenna pointed precisely at Earth, enabling it to send data home. All signs suggest the AACS is still working, but the telemetry data it’s returning is invalid. For instance, the data may appear to be randomly generated, or does not reflect any possible state the AACS could be in. It's beaming back an abnormal message to NASA, and they’re scrambling to understand why.

Mission team members like project manager Suzanne Dodd — who began working on the Voyager 1 and 2 spacecraft 38 years ago as her first job out of college in 1984, are trying to figure out what is happening on this faraway probe. Here's the background — "Is it aliens?" Inverse Magazine asks Dodd, mostly jokingly and just to get it out of the way. "No, I don’t think so," she says after laughing. "It’s something in the circuitry," she says. "Which, if you think of 45-year-old circuitry, it’s amazing that it’s working at all."

The team can steer the spacecraft, and that, paired with the signal’s strength and a lack of fault protection activation, tells them that Voyager 1 is doing well. But the telemetry signal itself "does not make any sense," producing either all zeros or the number 377, Dodd says. "Somewhere in the interface with the flight data system … there’s something that’s causing the telemetry data to be mixed up, I guess, or nonsensical," Dodd says. "And we don’t understand that yet."

I'm personally moved to tears! Can't we help NASA out? Well, yes, we can.

So we have our first message from Outer Space - at least the first one that has been publically published by NASA. Or do we? Let's decipher it and see.

I'm a writer. So kindly allow me to tell the story as I would write it.

One day, about 2 years ago or so, a group of extraterrestrials noticed a tiny craft that was ever so slowly approaching their location. Wow, they marveled, the Earthlings are certainly stretching out, aren't they? And, like the contest lovers that they are, they decided to have a Grand Contest called "let's play with NASA", and all were invited to participate. The Grand Contest had rules:

1. Make a reply using their own spacecraft to broadcast it.
    2. It must be in English, because God forbid NASA would learn a foreign language.
    3. It must be simple to solve, because - well, it's NASA after all.
    4. The one using the least number of characters wins.
    5. The message must contain a friendly greeting, and provide our location as well, just in case they someday wish to reply to us.
    6. The First Place Prize will be the Golden Record that is onboard the Voyager I, and (since the aliens have a low tolerance for alcohol) all Your Beer for a Year! (Proving once and for all that not only are Scientists cheap, they are universally cheap).

After careful judging, a Mr. George Jetson was chosen as the winner. He was able to craft a message that met the requirements using only three numbers! His use of 3,7, and 0 was held to be pure genius, and great fun as well. And as icing on the cake, he promised to get the NASA group to wave their craft in an up and down nodding fashion as a bonus! Sort of like an acknowledgement of their receipt of the extraterrestrial message.

In interviews on Universal CNN, Mr. Jetson stated that he had originally thought to use four numbers, as in the series 4,3,7,0, but after due consideration he felt that would be too simple even for NASA, and that by compacting it into three numbers they would still be able to understand his message.

But he miscalculated the intelligence levels at NASA, because, to all outward reports, they are still puzzling over his message. He wanted to express a friendly greeting while assuring them that their craft was not malfunctioning, and to let them know his location. Locations in space are determined by distance and bearings. The distance was easy - it's the location of the Voyager 1 in space at the time when he first sent his message. That would give them the distance from Earth, and by telling them that, based upon the present heading of the Voyager 1 craft the aliens were located to the South-East of it, at about their Five o'clock position, they would have the bearing to the home planet as well. Easy Peazy.

His award winning entry was 377 followed by zeros, which totals three distinct number characters and is the reason that his entry won First Prize. In the example below that reproduces his message, I am using 6 zeros following the 377, but it could be six thousand and it would not change his message to any degree. And, by the way, NASA is not being very forthcoming on exactly how many zeros were recorded, and it is entirely possible that that count might contain yet another message part. But for the purposes of this example I am using 6.

Attachment 49226

And as to George's first idea to use 4,3,7 and 0, that would have provided the "h" for Hello! But in considering this, I realized that in much of Europe they really don't pronounce very clearly the "h" that begins hello - preferring instead to make it sound something like our ELL000000. And in listening to how people pick up the phone on television shows from the 1960s, it seems that Americans also tended to pronounce it more like either ELLOOOOO or ALLOOOO.

My personal opinion is that this is yet another Luis Elizondo (To the Stars!) PSYOP, designed to get us to take our attention off of the sickening economy by saying - Hey, Look over Here! We've got an Alien Message! NASA was probably hoping that somebody would figure this out and post it on YouTube as the first alien message from space. Since most of the social media is controlled by the Intelligence agencies of one type or another, they would push it to the hilt with positive placement, guaranteeing millions of views, and thus erasing some of the memories of Joe's latest Lost in Space episode of his own making.

Luckily, we're much sharper than NASA and we didn't fall for it. But it was fun. In order to test out whether the Voyager 1 was still responding to their radio commands, NASA did sort of wave it up and down, so George was right about that part as well.

PS - George says thanks for the Golden Disk - he really enjoys the Blind Willie Johnson songs.
    That's actually quite good Jim, it makes sense with the whole Ello thing too. I really wonder who's gonna take it and make a vid out of it.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (3rd July 2022), Michel Leclerc (2nd July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022), Spiral (3rd July 2022), Vangelo (2nd July 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Not I. That's how good UFOlogists get taken down - low hanging fruit (bait). Thanks for the opportunity.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

9ideon (2nd July 2022), Johnnycomelately (3rd July 2022), Journeyman (5th July 2022), Michel Leclerc (2nd July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022), Spiral (3rd July 2022), Vangelo (2nd July 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 times in 981 posts

Not I. That's how good UFOlogists get taken down - low hanging fruit (bait). Thanks for the opportunity.
    Haha, and I thought that putting Blind Willie out there was low clanging ‘fruit’.

Trouble Will Soon be Over? Surely a message that some agreement/treaty is imminent! Hey what has happened since that launch?

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

9ideon (3rd July 2022), Jim_Duyer (3rd July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022), Vangelo (3rd July 2022)

25. Link to Post #13
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Sorry - posted a Sunday morning silly idea - nothing to see here, move along please.

Thanks for your topic.
    Last edited by Jim_Duyer; 3rd July 2022 at 14:30.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

Journeyman (5th July 2022), mountain_jim (5th July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

Sorry - posted a Sunday morning silly idea - nothing to see here, move along please.

Thanks for your topic.
    Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves, your argument is a good one, very creative, yet, let's see how the rest of this mystery evolves, it is still going on somewhere.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Jim_Duyer (3rd July 2022), mountain_jim (5th July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022), onevoice (3rd July 2022), Spiral (3rd July 2022)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Here are a few ideas that occurred to me.

377 might be human blood temperature.

377 might be the ‘name’ of a homesick spacecraft. Being a multiple of two primes, it might be thinking of its ‘parents’, 13 and 29.

Waiting in line at the post office in front of the PO boxes arranged in rows of 8, I noticed just now that 13, 29 and 37 are all in the same column, understandably so because you are adding twice eight and once eight. This base 8 system might be useful in some digital context, I have no idea.

The spacecraft might be watching the cricket test match ahead of time. Yesterday India established a second innings lead of 377, but this huge total is likely not going to be enough. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/li...-day-five-live

If 3 = C and 7 = G, then 377 is CGG and possibly musical notation : someone may be listening to the final movement of Beethoven’s last piano sonata op. 111, of which it is a leitmotif. There is a character in Thomas Mann’s Doctor Faustus who goes to great lengths to explain why this had to be the end of the road in that particular medium, i.e. nothing but nothing from then on.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

9ideon (5th July 2022), Journeyman (5th July 2022), mountain_jim (5th July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022)

31. Link to Post #16
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

Quote Posted by araucaria (here)
    If 3 = C and 7 = G, then 377 is CGG and possibly musical notation : someone may be listening to the final movement of Beethoven’s last piano sonata op. 111, of which it is a leitmotif. There is a character in Thomas Mann’s Doctor Faustus who goes to great lengths to explain why this had to be the end of the road in that particular medium, i.e. nothing but nothing from then on.

This one you came up with Araucaria, intrigues me a little. If this were the case, a warning that this is it and 377 is the last part of Vger1 giving out full communication in this way to Nasa, one has to wonder why? Was it programmed in because of some engineer? Or has the craft become sub-conscious and this is the most dramatic way it knows to say goodbeye, or elllo (hehehe). Beethoven also being on that Golden record (twice).

Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer, conductor. 7:20

Beethoven, String Quartet No. 13 in B flat, Opus 130, Cavatina, performed by Budapest String Quartet. 6:37

It's a shame Vger2 is still some time out of being at that same distance, it be really interesting if something similar would occur, on the other hand, by that time it might not matter anymore. Alas.

In relation to genetics and CGG, you know, while we're at it, ;-)

Quote CGG is an arginine codon in the universal genetic code. We previously reported that in Mycoplasma capricolum, a relative of Gram-positive eubacteria, codon CGG did not appear in coding frames, including termination sites, and tRNA(ArgCCG) pairing with codon CGG, was not detected. These facts suggest that CGG is a nonsense (unassigned and untranslatable) codon--i.e., not assigned to arginine or to any other amino acid.
    Kinda comes down to some sort of terminal conclusion too.

If we go back to Jim's thing, we can include the following as well:

Quote $$\ell^{0} $$-Sparse Subspace Clustering, why is $\ell_0$ a pseudo-norm?

Now, not being properly a norm doesn't make it a pseudonorm. There are different types of "not being properly a norm". A pseudonorm is a norm that satisfies all the norm properties except being positive-definite, that is, ∥x∥=0 implies x=0.

But that holds in this case. Moreover, a pseudonorm requires the absolute scalability property, which is the key part that fails here.

So it's not properly a norm and it's not a pseudonorm.

Source
    Again pointing to an end of something, or a nothing at all situation.

So, if the underlying message means end of line, or something similar, does that mean for the Spacecraft itself? Or is it a message for certain players about in this direction?
    Last edited by 9ideon; 5th July 2022 at 13:47.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Nasu (5th July 2022)

33. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,212 times in 1,146 posts

In any case, Voyager 1 is sending anomalous data, well, that's what they say at Nasa, I believe them too on this one btw.
    Is there a reason why you believe them on this one?To me, once it's established that either a person or an organisation is capable of deception, it calls into question all their pronouncements. NASA fall into this category for me, they are experts in deception and anything which comes from them is therefore suspect. Are there any good reasons we should believe them on this occasion?

That post was great Jim!

Quote Posted by araucaria (here)
    Here are a few ideas that occurred to me.

377 might be human blood temperature.

377 might be the ‘name’ of a homesick spacecraft. Being a multiple of two primes, it might be thinking of its ‘parents’, 13 and 29.

Waiting in line at the post office in front of the PO boxes arranged in rows of 8, I noticed just now that 13, 29 and 37 are all in the same column, understandably so because you are adding twice eight and once eight. This base 8 system might be useful in some digital context, I have no idea.

The spacecraft might be watching the cricket test match ahead of time. Yesterday India established a second innings lead of 377, but this huge total is likely not going to be enough. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/li...-day-five-live

There's a lot 7 numerical signalling going on, which I believe to be key but (way) outside the parameters of this thread.

The musical reference is a good one. Must confess it's a long time since I read that Mann book but I struggle to remember the details of the discussion about music theory, I think it actually put me off the Magic Mountain which is still on my to read list. Again, at the risk of going very esoteric, Beethoven references would be very on the nose for the Hermetic Lessons theory of where we are at right now.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Journeyman For This Post:

9ideon (5th July 2022), Jim_Duyer (5th July 2022), mountain_jim (5th July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022)

35. Link to Post #18
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Journeyman (here)
    In any case, Voyager 1 is sending anomalous data, well, that's what they say at Nasa, I believe them too on this one btw.
    Is there a reason why you believe them on this one?
    It's to interesting to pass by. If they can silence an entire crew into selling lies, they can also instruct that same crew to stay quiet. Orders work that way, conspiracies do not work by informing everybody of your intent, Nasa is modeled after the US Navy thus a military apparatus and therefore they follow orders.

Neither happened, there's no alternative story going around (as far as I could find after almost 2 months) concerning whistle blowers etc.

For some reason they are in a comfort zone doing their thing, they're not as cunning as you give 'm credit for anyway.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Journeyman (5th July 2022), mountain_jim (5th July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022)

37. Link to Post #19
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Perhaps someone far, far from Earth, was attempting to correct Tesla's statement that if you know the 3, the 6 and the 9, you have the answer to everything - by pointing out that it was actually a frequency a tad bit higher - 377 vs 369 hz. It's in the indigo or invisible light spectrum for us - perhaps it has ancient connotations.
    Recall in the Bible where (OT) the two brothers of Aaron were burnt down to toast because they used a different incense near the Arc - tabernacle? If you read those verses in the original Hebrew, it describes a stone that, when heated properly, gives off ultaviolet radiation - which is in this same frequencies above - and it hurt Yahweh's eyes so much that he lashed out in anger.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

9ideon (6th July 2022), Journeyman (6th July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022)

39. Link to Post #20
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

it hurt Yahweh's eyes so much that he lashed out in anger.
    Did this so called God of Love, thereafter, wipe out a couple 100.000 People just to feel better?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast