+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comedian Investigated For Joke

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,497 times in 5,708 posts

Default Comedian Investigated For Joke

Comedian Joe Lycett was investigated by police after performing in Belfast, Ireland.

Someone at his show found one of his jokes offensive, and actually called the police to report him. Not to be outdone in this surreal theatre of the absurd, the police actually investigated the joke.

..and Lycett was forced to explain the joke to the police.

I'm not sure what the joke was exactly, all I know is that it has something to do with a donkey's appendage.

The whole situation has several layers of irony, because apparently Lycett had previousy been in favor of censoring speech in comedic performances if it crossed some arbitrary line. Here's a 7 minute video explaining it all in more detail:

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

9ideon (5th July 2022), Alecs (5th July 2022), Bill Ryan (5th July 2022), ClearWater (5th July 2022), DeDukshyn (5th July 2022), Harmony (6th July 2022), Inversion (5th July 2022), Ioneo (5th July 2022), Ivanhoe (6th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (5th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th July 2022), mountain_jim (5th July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022), onawah (5th July 2022), RunningDeer (5th July 2022), Strat (5th July 2022), thepainterdoug (5th July 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Default Re: Comedian Investigated For Joke

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    I'm not sure what the joke was exactly, all I know is that it has something to do with a donkey's appendage.
    That sure sounds familiar:
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th July 2022), Harmony (6th July 2022), Inversion (5th July 2022), Ivanhoe (6th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (5th July 2022), Mike (5th July 2022), Nasu (5th July 2022), RunningDeer (5th July 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,539 times in 20,693 posts

Everybody is going to want to know what that joke was.
    I wonder if the thoughtpolice consider our sensibilities are too delicate to hear it...
    Each breath a gift...

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Harmony (6th July 2022), Ivanhoe (6th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (5th July 2022), Mike (5th July 2022), RunningDeer (5th July 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    That sure sounds familiar:

Patrice was a beast. R.I.P. He did make fun of his diabetes, as he said there in that video. All the time! Nothing was too sacred for him. He knew it would kill him, and it did. But what did he do? He made art out of it, made people laugh at his own expense. He wasn't even one of my favorite comics but I respected the hell out of him

What that woman is advocating for is scary. Even scarier is that the video is a little dated and it's much worse now. Still, here in the US anyway, it's only the P.C. police we have to worry about, and not the real police (yet!)

That's why I'm always droning on about the uniqueness of the US in this way and the importance of free speech being guaranteed in a legal document. They don't have that in the UK. You can go to jail for "hate speech" there. The issue is, of course, who decides what hate speech is? At the moment it's the social justice freaks. But nobody should have that kind of power. If you haven't threatened somebody with violence (real physical violence) then you should be able to say whatever you please without the threat of legal punishment
    Last edited by Mike; 5th July 2022 at 22:17.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th July 2022), Harmony (6th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (5th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th July 2022), onawah (5th July 2022), Patient (6th July 2022), RunningDeer (5th July 2022), Strat (6th July 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    Everybody is going to want to know what that joke was.
    I wonder if the thoughtpolice consider our sensibilities are too delicate to hear it...

Apparently I haven't been able to track it down

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th July 2022), Harmony (6th July 2022), onawah (5th July 2022), RunningDeer (5th July 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

I haven't been able to track it down
    I predict a sharp increase in Joe Lycett's ticket sales.

JOE LYCETT article:
    The comedian said he received a complaint over a joke that was about a “giant donkey d***”. Joe said he had to write a statement to police to explain the context of the joke.

The comedian continued: “To be fair to them the fuzz were very nice about it all but felt they had a duty to investigate. This involved me writing a statement explaining the context of the joke for them; I particularly enjoyed putting the words ‘giant donkey d***’ into a message to a police detective.”

The comedian said the joke would remain in his stand-up act but he refused to reveal the joke in full. You’ll have to attend one of his shows for the full unedited version!

Joe added: “Charmed, and hopefully amused, the rozzers have since closed the matter. You’ll be pleased to know the joke – which I consider to be one of the best I’ve ever written – remains firmly and proudly in the show. The tour continues until September, unless I am jailed.”

“The British cops are thoroughly hopeless. There was a report last week that half the neighborhoods around the country, they haven’t solved a single burglary. They’re ignoring real crime now and their policing people’s jokes and tweets and any sort of "mean words" and what they call “non-crime offenses”.
    UK comedian 'hauled up before the police' following stand-up joke ( 1 minute)
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 5th July 2022 at 23:51.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th July 2022), ClearWater (5th July 2022), Harmony (6th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th July 2022), Mike (5th July 2022), onawah (6th July 2022), Strat (6th July 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,237 times in 3,167 posts

thanks Mike. I have no interest in the joke. The story is the joke. The story that police would investigate a joke. ohh wait, the story that a person would call in to the police to complain about a joke.
    It cant be real, and yet it is.
    What can be said? we are collectively marching ourselves off a cliff. We all know it yet it cant be stopped.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th July 2022), Harmony (6th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th July 2022), Mike (6th July 2022), mokosh (6th July 2022), onawah (6th July 2022), RunningDeer (5th July 2022)

+ Reply to Thread