+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did the USA fund propoganda movie to appear in theaters in the USA in August?

1. Link to Post #1
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,422 times in 554 posts

Default Did the USA fund propoganda movie to appear in theaters in the USA in August?

We've all read that Joe decided to give some Billions of tax payer dollars to the Ukraine. But what I say today brings a new slant to that story.

Sniper. The White Raven (2022) After suffering a tragedy at the hand of invading soldiers in Donbas, an Ukrainian physics teacher seeks revenge. He sets his sights on an elite Russian sniper whose elimination could change the tide of the conflict.
    This is already in limited theaters in Canada and will debut in the USA next month in English.

On 24 February 2022, Russia invades the Ukraine. On 13 May 2022 this movie was done, edited, dubbed into the Estonian language and already showing in theaters in Europe (Estonia to begin with).

By July 1 it was already dubbed into English and appearing in theaters in Canada.

So here's the way it ran down:
    We're being invaded! We're at War! We all may Die! Let's make a Movie!

It's Budget is €997,800 (estimated) Equivalent to about a million dollars US.
    Note that this is for a documentary, produced in the Ukraine, so that's quite a bit of cash.

The Production Company is the UM Group. They have put out four films:

1. Sniper. The White Raven (2022) After suffering a tragedy at the hand of invading soldiers in Donbas, an Ukrainian physics teacher seeks revenge. He sets his sights on an elite Russian sniper whose elimination could change the tide of the conflict.

2. Censored (2019) This is a metaphorical story about the tragic and mysterious death of the most powerful poet of 1960s, human rights activist, hero of Ukraine Vasyl Stus and his struggle with the Soviet ... UM Group and the Ukrainian State Film Agency Worldwide gross $277,969

3. The Borderline. Hrubieszów Operation (2019) What was really happening between Poland and Ukraine during the WWII and after that? The unique guerrilla operation in Hrubieszów highlights a climax of one of the hardest paths the nations had to take during the WWII.

4. Yours Vasyl (2020) Vasyl Stus dreamed of engaging in literature, not politics; to be a famous poet, not a dissident. But the Soviet special services and the CPSU pushed him to a point of no return.

The UM Group is partnered with the Ukranian State Film Agency on all four of these projects. It's clearly a propaganda mill against the Russians.

But notice that the first two were anti-Russian and produced in 2019!
    And then the next one in 2020!

So they seem to have begun their campaign some two years before the Russian invasion. Did they plan the invasion? Did they wish to build up or harden the hearts so to speak of the locals against Russia even before Russian boots hit their soil?

Obviously we are paying for this - the Ukrainian Govt. wouldn't have spent their own ill-gotten gains on these documentaries.

It would be interesting to dig deeper into the UM Group and find out if any names appear on there that would be familiar to us in the USA?
    Last edited by Jim_Duyer; 27th July 2022 at 15:58.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st August 2022), Dennis Leahy (27th July 2022), ExomatrixTV (27th July 2022), Frankie Pancakes (28th July 2022), Inversion (27th July 2022), Ioneo (27th July 2022), Nasu (27th July 2022), onevoice (27th July 2022), Orph (27th July 2022), pabranno (27th July 2022), pounamuknight (27th July 2022), Tyy1907 (27th July 2022), Violet3 (1st August 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,630 times in 20,810 posts

Lightbulb Re: Did the USA fund propoganda movie to appear in theaters in the USA in August?

• Counter Narrative?

• A Snipers War / Война снайпера - документальный фильм 2018 (RUS/ENG):

The story of a sniper fighting on the side of the pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine. Described as a "stealth invasion" of Ukraine, the proxy-war being waged in Donbass is a contentious conflict between pro-Russian separatists and the West. In the midst of swirling propaganda and controversy this brave doc follows Deki, a pro-Russian sniper tasked with defending his separatist comrades on the frontline of the conflict. In the midst of escalating international tensions, the film exposes an unseen side to this secretive war.

Война снайпера - документальный фильм про знаменитого снайпера Деяна Берича "Деки" из ДНР. Его сняла американка русского происхождения режиссер Ольга Шехтер. Её работа уже была отмечена наградами на международных кинофестивалях в США, вероятно, потому что фильм стал для американцев своеобразной "таблеткой правды".

Ukraine Vultures LLC – Ref. 7284 A Sniper's War The story of a sniper fighting on the side of the pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine A Sniper's War Described as a "stealth invasion" of Ukraine, the proxy-war being waged in Donbass is a contentious conflict between pro-Russian separatists and the West. In the midst of swirling propaganda and controversy this brave doc follows Deki, a pro-Russian sniper tasked with defending his separatist comrades on the frontline of the conflict. In the midst of escalating international tensions, the film exposes an unseen side to this secretive war.

Reviews and More “A Sniper’s War is a powerful and disturbing doc from a perspective we don’t often see” – The Hollywood Reporter “The result is a stunning film that will knock you back in your seat and show you a wider world” – Bradley Gibson, Film Threat A “stunning portrait of a Serb who volunteered his lethal skills for the problematic Donetsk Republic”
    • Louis Proyect, Counter Punch Festivals Laurel Arizona Film Festival
    • Best Foreign Documentary Laurel Riversight Film Festival
    • Best Documentary, Best Editing, Best Cinematography Laurel Lower East Side Film Festival
    • Best of Fest Prix D’or Laurel We Won Together (Crimea)
    • Nickolay Mikosha Prize, Press Prize Laurel18th Beverly Hills Film Festival
    • Official Selection Laurel Big Sky Documentary Film Festival
    • Official Selection Laurel Moscow International Documentary Film Festival
    • Official Selection Laurel Santa Barbara International Film Festival
    In 2014, Russia annexed Crimea. This event triggered the formation of the 'Donetsk People’s Republic' in the Donbass region of Ukraine, led by Russia-backed separatists. A proxy war between the two nations followed. 'I was asked to come here by the Russian volunteers who had fought with me in the Serbia and Kosovo war. They had helped us. Now it’s time to repay the Russian people', says separatist fighter Dejan. Snipers play a key role on both sides. 'Yesterday he killed eight of our guys. I must take this sniper out', says Dejan. He's been threatened multiple times by a mysterious Ukrainian sniper known as 'Mariupol God'. Donbass residents have alleged that the Ukrainian forces shoot indiscriminately: 'they don’t care who they shoot at. I am an electrician. I get up a pole, and they start shooting.

Olya Schechter, a New York-based filmmaker, studied politics and environmental studies at New York University. After an internship at Newsweek she entered a documentary program at New York Film Academy. While studying she became fascinated with the Russian - United States relationships and the Ukrainian crisis. As a result she spent three years working on her first feature documentary on the front lines in Eastern Ukraine.

I was compelled to make A Sniper’s War after I met Deki during my trip to the Donetsk People’s Republic. I was immediately intrigued by his story and curious why he left Serbia to join the pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine. At first he was convinced that I was an American spy and it took a long time to gain his trust in order to get the access to tell the story. For over two years I traveled back and forth between New York and the Donetsk People’s Republic. Living at the military base with the rebels I eventually gained access to the front lines. I worked with one cinematographer or shot by myself. My goal was to blend in with the soldiers in order to capture the reality as is. Making this film has been a challenging exercise in objectivity. I realized that the only way to make this film politically neutral is to tell the story from Deki’s point of view. The more time I spent with him the more I wondered: is he a soldier or a killer? I tried to capture that duality in every scene. Eventually, I began to see him as a product of historic events that have shaped his world views - very different from mine.

Independent - "A Sniper's War' Director Olga Schechter" by Matt Kettmann

"A Sniper’s War is the fascinating, disturbing, and intimate portrait of a Serbian sniper named Deki who’s moved to the rebel-declared, Russian-basked republic of Donetsk to lend his murderous expertise to fight off the NATO-backed Ukrainian Army."

Broadway World - "A Sniper's War to Premier at Santa Barbara International Film Festival"

"The filmmaker obtains unprecedented access to military bases and frontline battles. She collected hundreds of hours of footage to paint an intimate portrait of the complex and fascinating nature of a sniper. Is Deki simply a man searching for purpose? A victim of historical events? Or is he a criminal, a terrorist, and a vicious killer?"

FILM THREAT - "Featured A Sniper's War" by Bradley Gibson

"Schechter tried to keep politics out of it, telling the story of a man, not the story of a war. She decided the best way to do this was to let him speak. It took four edits to strike the right balance. The result is a stunning film that will knock you back in your seat and show you a wider world. It seems like an alternate universe that it’s hard to believe is only 5700 air miles from here, a 14-hour flight."

Counter Punch - "The Tortured State of Ukrainian Society" by Louis Proyect

"Olya Schechter’s stunning documentary serves as a wake-up call for me to catch up on developments in the country that Lenin described as having the same relationship to Russia that Ireland had to Great Britain."

Flickering Myth - "Exclusive Watch the trailer for documentary A Sniper’s War" by Gary Collinson

"The filmmaker obtains unprecedented access to military bases and frontline battles. She collected hundreds of hours of footage to paint an intimate portrait of the complex and fascinating nature of a sniper. Is Deki simply a man searching for purpose?"
    "This brings back memories. Almost identical situation as the '90s here in the territory of the former Yugoslavia. Literally a brother kills a brother ... while a real common enemy rubs his hands contentedly, stands aside and makes money on that accident. The only feeling I have is the feeling of shame and heavy sadness. Didn't they learn anything from our mistakes here? The same scenario, the same screenwriters ... sow the seeds of hatred, nationalism and chauvinism between two identical fraternal peoples. Choose the side to which you will supply weapons and heaps of false promises. If we here in the Balkans were stupid enough ... why didn't they at least learn from our mistakes? Rhetorical question... How many more wars, deaths, accidents and evils should come from the same sources; for humanity to learn something from its mistakes? I think this war is an attempt to defeat that evil. Unfortunately, someone has to suffer here. Brexit. Covid. Ukraine. When attention and tension subside, when the war in Ukraine becomes boring ... (if it does not turn into a global nuclear war) ... in late autumn, this year, a new pandemic awaits us, a new plague. Is it monkeypox or something much scarier ... Uncle Gates has not yet declared ... The West played with Russia in the hope that it would pass easily. But it won't. You can clearly see the strong disagreement in the EU over sanctions, energy imports, etc ... A huge economic crisis is at the door. Artificial, of course. Threatening hunger? So has Ukraine fed us all so far? Of course it is not. Of course, all this artificially induced panic and fear is a very powerful weapon in curbing free thought among the Western population. 4.5 billion tons of food is thrown away every year. Where did the hunger come from? Farce. The evil that lives in the west and has ruled the world so far; slowly running out of imagination. It is not a question of how to defeat Russia. The question is how to restrain and control your own population. Because after all of the above; only the total idiots still do not understand what it is about".
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 27th July 2022 at 17:51.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st August 2022), Dennis Leahy (27th July 2022), Frankie Pancakes (28th July 2022), ian33 (1st August 2022), Inversion (27th July 2022), Jim_Duyer (28th July 2022), Nasu (27th July 2022), pabranno (27th July 2022), pounamuknight (27th July 2022), Sunny (27th July 2022), The KMan (1st August 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,014 times in 784 posts

Default Re: Did the USA fund propoganda movie to appear in theaters in the USA in August?

Well it is all over Torrent sites and that is a bit unusual

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st August 2022), ExomatrixTV (1st August 2022), pounamuknight (1st August 2022), The KMan (1st August 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,422 times in 554 posts

Default Re: Did the USA fund propoganda movie to appear in theaters in the USA in August?

Quote Posted by CurEus (here)
    Well it is all over Torrent sites and that is a bit unusual
    Yes and Warez sites as well. Odd that they put it up since it is still in Ukrainian language so far.
    Money apparently is not what they hoped for in return - their last one only made $275,000 worldwide.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st August 2022), pounamuknight (1st August 2022), The KMan (1st August 2022)

+ Reply to Thread