+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steve Wallis - Layman Camper and Outdoorsman

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,308 times in 5,692 posts

Default Steve Wallis - Layman Camper and Outdoorsman

I really enjoy Steve Wallis' videos. He's a layman camper and outdoorsman, as the thread title suggests, hardly Bear Gryllls or someone of that ilk. But that's part of his charm - he goofs up, buys the wrong equipment sometimes, is a little hokey and corny, but very accessible and fun to watch.

His camping locations are what makes the videos interesting. For instance, he might set up camp in a thatch of woods behind a Walmart, or on a tiny island in the middle of an urban lake, or behind a billboard or a roundabout, or even in his car while parked at an airport. He calls what he does "stealth camping", which is kinda funny because it makes his very basic excursions sound much more exotic than they really are. But, it is important for him to stay unnoticed and he is pretty good at it!

He's not homeless or anything. He will usually only "stealth camp" for one night, occasionally 2. He's a very regular guy, married with a furnace repair business.

I've just chosen this video arbitrarily. Typically his videos are between 20 and 30 mins long.
    Last edited by Mike; 27th July 2022 at 19:51.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

9ideon (27th July 2022), aemay (27th July 2022), Anna70 (1st September 2022), Ben (28th July 2022), DNA (28th August 2022), Harmony (28th August 2022), JackMcThorn (27th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (27th July 2022), RunningDeer (27th July 2022), selinam (27th July 2022), Sunny-side-up (28th July 2022), wondering (27th July 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,455 times in 571 posts

Default Re: Steve Wallis - Layman Camper and Outdoorsman

Interesting to watch, a bit of a klutz but entertaining.

Have you ever seen Les Stroud or 'Survivorman'?

He is way more serious than Bear Gryllls. Bear usually did 4 days in the field, Les does 7. Bear was also caught checking into a hotel in the middle of one of his excursions which is just weird.

Since I have been studying and reading about the homeless, they too refer to 'Stealth Camping'.
    Last edited by JackMcThorn; 27th July 2022 at 20:44.
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Anna70 (1st September 2022), DNA (28th August 2022), Harmony (28th August 2022), Johnnycomelately (27th July 2022), Mike (27th July 2022), wondering (27th July 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by JackMcThorn (here)
    Interesting to watch, a bit of a klutz but entertaining.

Have you ever seen Les Stroud or 'Survivorman'?

He is way more serious than Bear Gryllls. Bear usually did 4 days in the field, Les does 7. Bear was also caught checking into a hotel in the middle of one of his excursions which is just weird.

Since I have been studying and reading about the homeless, they too refer to 'Stealth Camping'.

Hi Jack, I've heard of both of those guys and am vaguely aware of what they do but I've never followed them in earnest. Just seen bits n pieces here n there. But I've been very impressed with those bits n pieces.

Steve is more my style just because despite my camping incompetence I could still probably pull off what he's pulling off. He's not presenting himself as an expert or anything (quite the opposite actually). I appreciate his humility and willingness to make mistakes on video and so forth. He's kind of an everyman. Sets up camp, drinks some beer, makes a meal, and calls it a night. Sounds boring but I kinda like it.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Anna70 (1st September 2022), DNA (28th August 2022), Harmony (28th August 2022), JackMcThorn (27th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (27th July 2022), wondering (27th July 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Steve's wife passed away recently, tragically and unexpectedly.

Although she stayed off camera, she frequently accompanied Steve on his stealth camping outings. Occasionally you could hear her voice or laugh in the background, and she sounded like a lovely person.

Steve addresses his wife's death here in this short video. It's absolutely gutting.

Life is short, and you never know when the universe is going to single you out for departure from this realm. Time is precious. It's a sin to waste it.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Anna70 (1st September 2022), DNA (28th August 2022), Harmony (28th August 2022), Peace in Oz (28th August 2022), Satori (28th August 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,733 times in 4,313 posts

You gotta feel for this guy. So many good people suffering like this right now.
    I think it goes without saying that you have to suspect the jab with someone so young passing so quickly like this.
    The evident devastation on this poor man.
    I'll say a prayer for him

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Anna70 (1st September 2022), Harmony (28th August 2022), Mike (28th August 2022), Peace in Oz (28th August 2022)

+ Reply to Thread