English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,088 times in 20,639 posts

Default Online Scammers Steal Billions per Year

Busting the Scammers - The World Wide Investigation | 7NEWS Spotlight
    94,169 views Jun 16, 2022
    7NEWS Spotlight
    646K subscribers

( $41 billion per year in scams of US citizens alone is the estimate given in this Australian doucmentary. I was nearly scammed myself once but fortunately became suspicious in time. Since then, I frequently watch the youtube channels of several online scam busters including Jim Browning, Kitboga and Rinoa Poison. Unfortunately in India where much of the scams originate the police are often on the take themselves, so scammers are still thriving. )

"In Busting the Scammers we go inside the scamming epidemic costing Australians, and people across the globe, millions. Led by Walkley-award winning journalists Ross Coulthart and Steve Pennells and reporter Denham Hitchcock, 7NEWS SPOTLIGHT takes viewers across the globe to expose the overseas scammers peppering us with phone calls and texts designed to steal our cash. We even manage to intercept two scams in real-time, saving the victims thousands."

Each breath a gift...

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

9ideon (31st July 2022), Dennis Leahy (28th July 2022), ExomatrixTV (28th July 2022), Harmony (28th July 2022), Icare (17th July 2023), Ioneo (28th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (28th July 2022), Le Chat (28th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th August 2022), palehorse (25th September 2022), rgray222 (17th July 2023), Sue (Ayt) (15th July 2023), thepainterdoug (10th August 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,636 times in 20,812 posts
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 28th July 2022 at 19:17.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (28th July 2022), Icare (17th July 2023), Johnnycomelately (28th July 2022), Le Chat (28th July 2022), onawah (29th July 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Online Scammers Steal Billions per Year

Kitboga is my favorite scam buster. He obviously cares a lot for the scammed, has a playful, puckish sense of humor, a good heart, and he doesn't curse or otherwise stoop to the level of the scammers:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/KitbogaShow
    I think rather than making them angry and even more prone to scamming, he actually makes some (not all!) of them regret at times what they have done, as does Jim Browning:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/JimBrowning
    Rinoa Poison is also very funny and knows how to get the maddening best of scammers without compromising her own dignity:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/RinoaPoison
    I think there is something rather therapeutic about their approach, which may make scammers think twice about how reprehensible their crimes really are.
    However, I don't care much for Perogi of Scammer Revolts and Scammer Payback (the guy in the post #2 above) who although he shuts down a lot of scammers, and I commend him for that, his manner of conversing with the scammers at times is about as offensive as the scammers' themselves, which I think can actually be counterproductive in the long run (and is unpleasant listening ).
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ScammerRevolts
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC9...hx5NdctLBx5X7w
    Last edited by onawah; 29th July 2022 at 03:44.
    Each breath a gift...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (29th July 2022), Icare (17th July 2023)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks

We Scam a Sexy Chinese Scammer
    18,866 views Jul 30, 2022
    ADVChina
    457K subscribers

"We scam a Chinese scammer... she wasn't happy."

Each breath a gift...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Icare (17th July 2023)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Live from Scammer Payback HQ
    4,740 views Jul 26, 2022
    DEYO
    22.2K subscribers

(How cool! Scambusters have united!! )

Each breath a gift...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Icare (17th July 2023)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

India's Thriving Scam Industry: Before You Call Tech Support | Undercover Asia | CNA Documentary
    112,404 views Jul 31, 2022
    CNA Insider
    1.2M subscribers

"We go deep into the vast world of India’s scam call centers, meeting those behind the deception and the new breed of international scambaiters who are trying to bring these scammers down.

After seven years of running tech support scams, ‘Leo’ has leveled up. He is now an entrepreneur or a scam call center consultant who sets up scamming outfits for those with money to invest. From hiring to hardware, he has it down to a science, especially on how long it will take to generate returns for the investors.

At the other end of the spectrum, we follow an Indian scambaiter ‘Sven’ as he investigates a local company that’s running a scam call center. The majority of their victims are English-speaking foreigners overseas. Through reverse tracking, he has managed to get into the company’s systems, securing access to their confidential files and real-time CCTV footage of scams taking place.

Will ‘Sven’ be able to find enough evidence to submit to the police and conduct a crackdown?"

Each breath a gift...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Alecs (27th May 2023), Icare (17th July 2023)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,984 times in 463 posts

A good film about the tragic consequences of scamming

ONLY THE ANIMALS

Award-winning director Dominik Moll returns with another thriller exploring our darker desires.

Two depressed farmers, an unfaithful wife, a lovelorn waitress and an African con artist are drawn together in a mystery surrounding the disappearance of Valeria Bruni Tedeschi’s glamourous Evelyne Ducat. The action switches between international locations as the links between the characters are gradually revealed. Stylishly shot and elegantly structured, Only the Animals finds Moll at the height of his storytelling powers and working with an excellent cast, whose characters’ motivations call into question the contrast between our public and private lives.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Icare (17th July 2023), onawah (4th August 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Kidnapping for Sex Trade Scam
    (I had never heard of this scary scam in which IRS scammers lure people into driving to a secluded location where they are then kidnapped for the sex trade.
    It's described at the beginning of this video, though it's not the main subject matter of the rest of the video.)

I called a scam call center to get revenge ft. Kitboga
    259,263 views Jul 30, 2022
    QTCinderella
    357K subscribers
    "QTCinderella and Kitboga call scammers"

Last edited by onawah; 12th August 2022 at 04:41.
    Each breath a gift...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Icare (17th July 2023)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,711 times in 2,086 posts

Last year a scam link was sent to my mom's phone that there had been a fraudulent charge on her Amazon account and she had to clear it up so her credit would be ok. My mom's in her 80 s , still drives, and is very independent. I couldn't believe this when she told me they had her on the phone for 4 hours, had her so afraid that she actually went up to the store on the corner and wired these guys 400.00 and then they had her wire another 400.00 all while they kept her on the phone the entire time. She got suspicious after the 2cd wire transfer they were talking about more money. She ended up calling me crying and she couldn't believe how stupid she was. ECT. ECT. ECT. I just told her she got the cheap college education course on how to be scammed. Cheap by saying it only cost her 800.00 and not 8000.00 . What stunned me the most was that they had her on the phone for hours. I thoughtg she was way more alert that that.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Arcturian108 (25th September 2022), Icare (17th July 2023), onawah (13th August 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I am always amazed myself at the number of people who fall for these scams.
    The scammers are usually from India, with very pronounced accents and often their English is pretty bad, which you would think would alert people right away.
    Fortunately, more alerts are going out from various sources about these scams.
    I just got one today from my local electric company, which reads as follows (I've blocked out names and numbers):
    "BEWARE OF NAME-DROPPERS: If someone tries to convince you that they are somehow affiliated with or partnering with XXXXXXX , or if they threaten to disconnect electric service, please contact us immediately at 1-800-xxxxxxx.
    XXXXXXX DOES NOT authorize, endorse, or encourage any company’s products or services. Further, we DO NOT provide your address or contact information to third parties.
    If a XXXXXXX employee or agent contacts you, it will NOT be to sell you anything. Of course, employees and agents are happy to provide identification to ease your mind, and you are always welcome to contact the office if you have any questions or concerns.
    XXXXXXX DOES NOT call members asking that they pay their bills immediately over the phone, nor do we accept gift cards for bill payments. Past due accounts are mailed a written notice several days before the final due date. Payments can be made by you calling us directly, online through our website portal, or in person at one of our locations.
    AVOID THE SENSE OF URGENCY: Scammers and high-pressure salespeople often rely on people responding quickly. You can combat this by maintaining these three priorities. Always remember that it may be best to end the conversation if you become uncomfortable.
    Priority 1 Protect your personal information. In many cases, a simple internet search can reveal information about you. This is an excellent reason to be mindful of what personal information you post on social media. Public information, combined with what might seem like a harmless conversation, can later be used to make acting quickly more appealing.
    Priority 2 Gather company information. Collect the company’s contact information from the person who contacted you. Ask for documentation supporting any claim being made. Request draft copies of any contracts required to complete the transaction.
    Priority 3 Verify the information gathered. Do your research to ensure things add up and check independent company reviews. A trusted friend or family member can often help you raise the right questions before acting. An excellent question is if other, potentially better, alternatives exist for the same product or service.
    KNOW YOUR RIGHTS: In some cases, you may be able to reverse a transaction if you contact authorities promptly. Also, if you want more information about some of the scams identified by the XXXXXXx Attorney General’s office, visit https://xxxxxxx.gov/consumer-protection/. "

Quote Posted by pyrangello (here)
    Last year a scam link was sent to my mom's phone that there had been a fraudulent charge on her Amazon account and she had to clear it up so her credit would be ok. My mom's in her 80 s , still drives, and is very independent. I couldn't believe this when she told me they had her on the phone for 4 hours, had her so afraid that she actually went up to the store on the corner and wired these guys 400.00 and then they had her wire another 400.00 all while they kept her on the phone the entire time. She got suspicious after the 2cd wire transfer they were talking about more money. She ended up calling me crying and she couldn't believe how stupid she was. ECT. ECT. ECT. I just told her she got the cheap college education course on how to be scammed. Cheap by saying it only cost her 800.00 and not 8000.00 . What stunned me the most was that they had her on the phone for hours. I thoughtg she was way more alert that that.
    Each breath a gift...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Icare (17th July 2023)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

How to Spot Any Spoofed & Fake Email (Ultimate Guide)
    821,559 views Jun 12, 2021
    ThioJoe
    2.85M subscribers

"YOU'LL NEVER GET TRICKED AGAIN! (Scammers will hate this)"

▼ Time Stamps: ▼
    0:00 - Intro
    1:49 - The "From" Domain
    7:17 - The Reply-To Field
    10:07 - Mailed By & Signed By
    12:16 - Authentication Headers (Basics)
    16:49 - SPF
    17:47 - DKIM
    21:32 - DMARC
    23:46 - How SPF Works
    24:59 - How DKIM Works
    26:59 - How DMARC Works
    27:53 - WHY BOTHER?

Each breath a gift...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Icare (17th July 2023)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Ex-Scammer SHUTS DOWN Scam Call Center
    78,225 views Sep 24, 2022
    Trilogy Media
    775K subscribers

Each breath a gift...

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

avid (25th September 2022), Icare (17th July 2023), pyrangello (17th July 2023), Sue (Ayt) (26th September 2022)

25. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

partially the problem can be blamed on people that are too soft and positive on every aspect of life (I mean, the chance for a scammer be scammed is much lower than a happy dude walking down the road haha), scammers would not exist if people behave properly.

In general don't listen to marketeers, is fair enough to not get ripped off by scammers.

1 thing ALL scammers has, they are pretty good at marketing, they can sell sand in the desert literally.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

pyrangello (17th July 2023)

27. Link to Post #14
    Brazil Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 times in 173 posts

I have solver this problem by sticking tô mumy and dad phrase when we were Kids, DO NOT TALK TO STRANGERS on email, whatsapp, telegram, Phone or personally.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prc For This Post:

Icare (17th July 2023), onawah (27th May 2023), pyrangello (17th July 2023)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

How 'Scambaiter' Jim Browning Scams the Scammers: 'Scams Are a Serious Business'
    Daily Blast LIVE
    98K subscribers
    May 19, 2023

(Scambaiters are getting better at what they do, but there is so much scamming going on that it won't make much difference until police really start to crack down on these kinds of criminals. There are 2 exceptional examples of scambaiters succeeding in getting the authorities to actually do something.)

"'Scambaiting' is the process of luring a scammer, either online or on the phone, and using their own tricks against them.
    DBL is joined by one scambaiter who uses the alias Jim Browning to learn more about the deceptive world of scams. "

We Snuck Into Their Call Center, Let's SHOW the SCAMMERS!
    Scambaiter
    2.01M subscribers
    457,491 views Apr 23, 2023

"We Snuck Into Their Call Center, Let's SHOW the SCAMMERS! In today's video, we tried to get scammers arrested but that arrest took a turn for the worse. Instead, we decided to sneak into the scam call center and show it to the scammers."

Last edited by onawah; 27th May 2023 at 19:27.
    Each breath a gift...

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (27th May 2023), Icare (17th July 2023), pyrangello (17th July 2023)

31. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks

IRS Sends Out Warning to Millions of Americans
    Facts Matter with Roman Balmakov
    1.28M subscribers
    7/14/23

(About an identity theft scam masquering as the IRS, but also about an actual new ruling from the IRS in the US heavily taxing inheritances.)

Last edited by onawah; 20th July 2023 at 05:43.
    Each breath a gift...

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Icare (17th July 2023), pyrangello (17th July 2023)

33. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Checks Not Safe Anymore
    2 New Senior SCAMS = Beware!
    Christopher Westfall
    71.8K subscribers
    7/16/23

"Please share the info about this very important LIVE stream!
    - 2 New Scams Targeting Seniors on Medicare
    - Good News for Diabetics on Medicare
    - Mental Health Access on Medicare (update)"

Each breath a gift...

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Icare (17th July 2023), norman (20th July 2023), wondering (10th August 2023)

35. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,711 times in 2,086 posts

One of these call scammers called my mom 2 years ago, told her that her Amazon account had 800 dollars of fraudulent charges and she needed to clear it up so she could keep ordering and they would credit the account back. They had her on the phone for 4 hours and she drove to the drug store to wire them 2 . 400 dollar checks . After that was done they then wanted more money which then threw up the red flag that something wasn't right thank God on that. The day it happened I stopped by her house and she was crying how stupid she was and on and on. I just told her she got a cheap college class on being scammed. It only cost her 800 dollars and could have been way more. She's no dummy, I was really surprised that she got hustled like that.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

onawah (20th July 2023), Vangelo (17th July 2023), wondering (10th August 2023)

37. Link to Post #19
    Language
    English
    Thanks

PRANKING SCAMMERS LIVE at the Peoples Call Center
    IRLrosie
    1.21M subscribers
    122 watching now
    Streamed live 8/2/23

(The really frustrating thing about this huge new multinational crime ring is that the governments in the countries where most of the scammers operate from, do practically nothing to stop it.
    But the encouraging thing is that scambaiters continue to do what they can to curtail it, and there are more of them all the time.
    Sometimes listening in is pretty entertaining, other times not so much, when the scambaiters are acting just as nasty as the scammers.
    Apparently they don't understand that being nasty, even to scammers, creates bad karma.
    Some constructive criticism is in order, imho... )
    Last edited by onawah; 2nd August 2023 at 19:54.
    Each breath a gift...

38. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Online scams: 3 rules to prevent being conned
    CBS Sunday Morning
    1.33M subscribers
    Jul 30, 2023

"Correspondent David Pogue talks with cybersecurity expert Mike Driscoll about ways to make yourself safer from online and phone scammers; and with Kitboga, an improv artist who has found a new way to fight con artists, by hilariously wasting their time."

Each breath a gift...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast