Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Of what use is a High IQ?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

Default Of what use is a High IQ?

I dont know , Im asking you all.

I dont believe I have a high I Q, whatever that is, but I believe Im a smart person.
    I guess my I Q to be normal maybe 100.

But Im the best person to be with to problem solve, get you out of a bind, a car breakdown or stranded on an island . I can create and think thru things.

What have high I Q people done to move the world forward for all? I know, there are many smart people out there, but many average people have done more for people in mass.

I know and are aware of a person with allegedly the highest IQ in the world.Close to 200. He has interesting scientific theories about life and so on. Stuff I cannot understand.

But its still in the box, still looking for the people inside the TV set. Still looking to figure out the we in the material world.

What are your thoughts on this? Shouldn't the highest IQ people be guiding us all in politics , science and critical matters ?

But they are not

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Anchor (30th July 2022), Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), ClearWater (31st July 2022), DNA (30th July 2022), gini (30th July 2022), Harmony (30th July 2022), Inversion (30th July 2022), Ioneo (30th July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), Jambo (30th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th July 2022), justntime2learn (30th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (1st August 2022), Mike (30th July 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), palehorse (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), Wind (30th July 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,405 times in 1,631 posts

Default Re: Of what use is a High IQ?

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    Shouldn't the highest IQ people be guiding us all in politics , science and critical matters ? But they are not
    In the video in post#15 it said in the future citizens put those people in charge.

Here's a list of people with an extremely high IQ. Newton, Einstein & Tesla were probably given upgrades by an external source to steer our species, or it was all of them. link

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Inversion For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), Tintin (30th July 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 times in 982 posts

I dont believe I have a high I Q, whatever that is, but I believe Im a smart person.

But Im the best person to be with to problem solve, get you out of a bind, a car breakdown or stranded on an island . I can create and think thru things.

What have high I Q people done to move the world forward for all? I know, there are many smart people out there, but many average people have done more for people in mass.

I know and are aware of a person with allegedly the highest IQ in the world.Close to 200. He has interesting scientific theories about life and so on. Stuff I cannot understand.

But its still in the box, still looking for the people inside the TV set. Still looking to figure out the we in the material world.

What are your thoughts on this? Shouldn't the highest IQ people be guiding us all in politics , science and critical matters ?

But they are not
    By “guiding us”, I am guessing you mean selflessly serving us. Well maybe they are, since otherwise how would karma work? Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Gengis Khan, they all served up some great lessons and you could argue they were smart.

My problem with “IQ” is that it only grades certain/some capabilities of intellect. Go try living in bare feet in the Amazon, for perspective.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (30th July 2022), Inversion (30th July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), Jambo (30th July 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), Wind (30th July 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Australia Avalon Member Violet3's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,370 times in 236 posts

I'm pretty sure that some of the smartest people alive are the complete psychopaths running this planet, with the emotional intelligence of rocks (with apologies to rocks).
    Sure ordinary people with average intelligence are capable of evil, by commission or omission, and we are all partly responsible for this current mess. But many smart people planned and continue to execute aspects of the ongoing planetary ruin. I never assume high intelligence automatically brings any maturity or ethics, qualities without which a high IQ is probably dangerous IMO.

8. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Violet3 For This Post:

Antagenet (30th July 2022), Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (30th July 2022), gini (30th July 2022), Inversion (30th July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), Jambo (30th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th July 2022), justntime2learn (30th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (1st August 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), Wind (30th July 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    China Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 times in 1,022 posts

Well, I will use knowledge instead of High IQ.

知识,是人们在社会和生产的实践活动中积累起来的经验和认知的综合。
       一个人具备了丰富的知识,表示此人具备了拥有力量的基础,但不管他拥有的知识多么丰富,并不代表此人有力量。比如图书馆拥有丰富的知识,但图书馆本身并不具备力量。仅仅从储存知识这一点而言,人的大脑与图书 馆无异。

Knowledge is a combination of the experience and cognition accumulated by our social and productive practical activities. One can possess a wealth of knowledge, which means that they possess the “foundation” to gain power, but no matter how much knowledge they have, it does not mean that they will ever have power. It is like a library which has abundant knowledge but no power. From the point of storing knowledge, a person’s brain is only like a library.

“知识就是力量,”这是十七世纪英国哲学家弗兰西斯?培根在其著作《沉思录》中说的,一般在学校里,老师在激发学生的学习兴趣时津津乐道的就是这句话,由此,学生们盲目地认为,只要学好了学校设置的课程,只要掌握 了知识,毕业后就可以拥有力量来实现自己的追求和理想。

“Knowledge is power”, is from “Meditation”, written by the seventeenth century British philosopher, Francis Bacon,which teachers delight in using to arouse students’ learning interest at school. As a result, students blindly believe that as long as they learn their lessons well which are set by schools, and as long as they grasp that knowledge, they will have the power to achieve their own pursuits and ideals after they graduate.

知识主要来自于感官,但是,弗兰西斯?培根针对古希腊哲学家普罗特格拉的“人是万物的尺度”之论说:“断定感官为衡量万物的尺度,是很大的错误”。这也就是说,用通过感观获得的知识来判断和衡量万事万物万象会犯错 误的。

Knowledge comes mainly from our sense organs. However, in the view of the Greek Philosopher Protagoras, “Human is the measure of everything”. This was refuted by Francis Bacon who wrote that “It is a great mistake to conclude that our limited sense organs measure all things”. In other words, it is wrong to judge and measure all things and all forms from the limited knowledge that our sense organs can provide.

现在,我们面前站着一个初中毕业的性感妙龄美女和一位获得博士学位的丑妞,请问:这两位女子中哪一位更能引起一个男人丰富的联想和情绪的波动?更能激发一个男人旺盛的活力?如果是美女,那就证明知识不是力量,而美 才具有巨大的力量。

Consider a scenario in which a sexy young girl with a middle school diploma is standing next to a more mature, older lady with a Doctorate degree and both are in front of an interviewer. Which one is more likely to arouse the man’s rich imagination, alter his mood, and motivate his intense vitality? If it is the young girl, that is because knowledge is not true power since even beauty can have more power.

再比如父母对儿女的教育引导方面,父母所用的全部是自己的知识,但父母的知识引导教育出了身心灵全方位健康的有独立生活能力的孩子吗?大多是失败的。当客观事物已经发生了巨大变化,还继续顽固地坚持和应用原先的知 识,肯定会碰壁,比如各宗教的知识和概念,不仅没有力量,反而成了阻碍社会发展和妨碍人性解放的反作用力。其实,偏见和谬见也是一种知识,这样的知识有什么益处?

Another example is how education and guidance are passed from parents to their children. Can a parent’s knowledge conduct and educate their children with both a full range of healthy spirits, minds, and bodies, as well as the ability to lead their own independent lives? Most fall very short.

When great changes take place in objective knowledge but we stubbornly insist on applying our traditional knowledge, we will certainly be rebuffed. Look at various religious dogmas and concepts. As they feel a loss of power, they become reactionary, resist social development, and impede natural human liberation.

In fact, prejudices and fallacy are knowledge. What are the benefits of such knowledge? None!

仅就人而言,最强大的力量是灵活圆融的思维力量,比如爱因斯坦的力量。我坚信,爱因斯坦的力量不是来自于他的知识,而是来自于他的思维。没见过读书多、获得的文凭多、经验多却思维僵化的人有什么力量。

Our most powerful intellectual force is the power of flexible and tactful thinking. I believe firmly that Albert Einstein’s power came not from his knowledge, but from his thinking.
    Those who read more and get more diplomas and more experience but form rigid ways of thinking have rarely been found to wield much power.

持久的力量不是来自于知识,更不会来自于强大的经济力量和国防力量,而是来自于真善美爱诚信,真的东西有力量,善的言行有力量,美的事物有力量,爱具有强大的力量,诚实的品质具有力量,守信的人有力量 。

Lasting power comes from neither knowledge nor from powerful economic strength and national defense forces, but from sincerity, kindness, virtue, love, faith, and honesty. Sincere deeds have power, kind behavior has power, things of virtue have power, love is a powerful force, honest quality has power, people who keep their words and their faith have power.

结论是:一定要学习和积累知识,但知识具有局限性、危险性和反动性,不要盲目的认为有了知识就具备了力量,与其消耗大量的宝贵时光去追求知识,不如在真善美爱诚信上多下功夫,因为真善美爱诚信才具备持久的力量,同 时,在开发思维上下功夫,不要在背诵记忆过去的知识上耗费过多的时光和精力,不能顽固地用死的知识来硬套变化的活的现实。

Conclusion: knowledge must be learned and accumulated, but knowledge has limitation, danger, and can be reactionary. Never believe blindly that having knowledge is synonymous with having power. Rather than spending your precious time on chasing knowledge, you would be well advised to concentrate your efforts on sincerity, kindness, virtue, love, faith, and honesty, for those are the people who will enjoy lasting power. Meanwhile, take pains to develop your way of thinking by never spending time and effort reciting your former knowledge or stubbornly judging and adapting to a changing, living reality with dead, prejudicial knowledge.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xidaijena For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), gini (30th July 2022), Inversion (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), Violet3 (30th July 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    China Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 times in 1,022 posts

Quote Shouldn't the highest IQ people be guiding us all in politics , science and critical matters ?
    Dear, if they have the highest IQ, they will be like Panda or Steven Hawking who will be well taken care by the govenments so that they will have no time to guide us.
    Like Jesus, he has the power to make the dead to be alive but was killed by the governments.
    Power and Money are the most important thing for the highest IQ persons instead of you, me or the bitterness of the people.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xidaijena For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), Chip (30th July 2022), gini (30th July 2022), Inversion (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

I've been tested a few times because I have a high IQ but with an odd anomaly, which is that the bulk of my overall IQ score comes from one very tiny dimension - visualization and spatial reasoning but that one is so far off the charts (5+ standard deviations if I recall) it pushed my overall score over 140 even though I am not really excelling to much in the other areas even though most of them are at least 1 standard deviation above average.

If you asked Mrs Anchor she would tell you all about my weaknesses, but luckily for me she isn't on the forum!

IQ isn't something you use, so I think that the question what is the use of high IQ is quite odd. One uses the tools one has available and if you don't have the right tool you improvise or get someone else to help you. IQ helped me see through the bull**** when I tried to do a comp sci degree. In the end I left that and never looked back.

IQ helped me get jobs in the early days of IT, but the bulk of my career success and growth came after I was 40 and had some experience under my belt. The most interesting things I have done in live have been really unrelated to IT except in my twenties when I ran my own company and did some things I wanted which I am really quite pleased with - those involved my own designs and played to my strengths.

Now I am a farmer and I get to do things totally unrelated to IT. Right now I am building formwork for the concrete strip footings that will become the base for a greenhouse!

14. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Antagenet (30th July 2022), Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (30th July 2022), gini (30th July 2022), Inversion (30th July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), Jambo (30th July 2022), Orph (30th July 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), Wind (30th July 2022), xidaijena (31st July 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,309 times in 5,692 posts

IQ is very important.

That doesn't mean you have to be a genius to get by in this world! But it does mean you can't be an idiot if you want to get by in this world.

When the topic of IQ comes up, it's popular to evoke diabolical evildoers to disprove the theory that IQ is important, i.e. "Hitler was smart! And look where that got him!" Or the other approach is to declare that "it's just a number, and nothing more." Sorry but those are bad arguments!

IQ is the highest predictor for success. That's a fact. And by success I mean the things that most people would consider success, such as college degree, well-paying job, home, family, so forth.

High or moderately high IQ people make the world go round. We wouldn't be communicating on this platform without high IQ people - they gave us computers, the internet, and all the other electronic gadgetry that make this possible. And countless other things that we couldn't imagine doing without these days.

For every brilliant tyrant like Hitler or Mao there are thousands of faceless high or moderately high IQ people doing good work that will ultimately benefit humanity in some way.

If you can't read and write or do basic arithmetic, you're screwed. You need at least that to survive. So IQ is important, no matter how ya spin it.

I think I probably have an average IQ, or maybe slightly above. I don't claim any sort of specialness. But I think you need at least an average IQ to have a chance at anything, in most cases. From there you can succeed with discipline, hard work, and so on.

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Anchor (30th July 2022), Antagenet (30th July 2022), Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (30th July 2022), gini (30th July 2022), Inversion (30th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (1st August 2022), onawah (30th July 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), Strat (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), Vangelo (30th July 2022), wondering (30th July 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,124 times in 332 posts

I hide my IQ... Intelligence Quotient... right?

A long time ago, in another time, another galaxy .... they tried to make me take a high school IQ exam as graduate requirement.
    I refused. They said if I didn't take the exam, then I would not qualify for my graduate diploma. Seriously, this happened.
    My father got upset, went to the school.. threatened to sue them.
    I graduated with a paper called "diploma" ....

HMM..

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Anu Raman For This Post:

Antagenet (30th July 2022), Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (30th July 2022), gini (30th July 2022), Inversion (30th July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (1st August 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), wondering (30th July 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,733 times in 4,313 posts

But they are not
    I think I understand your sentiment or your underlying feelings here.
    Or maybe I'm hijacking your premise.
    If so I apologize.

Given the situation we are in with vaccines, renegade politicians, the great reset and fake media how and why is it that those who seem to have the highest IQs are the most brainwashed?
    I'm personally looking at my family, friends and aquaintinces.
    Why is this a thing?
    I have my own theories.

I have a uncle who is a master level chess player, he also holds a masters degree in psychology and one in sociology. A great man, very well read. But, he is absolutely brainwashed 100%, triple, nay quadruple jabbed.. An ardent cnn viewer and still a trump hating Biden supporter.

I view it like this. Much of what we attribute to intelligence is the ease and magnitude we are capable of memorizing data that is fed to us. This is kind of mechanical but absolutely useful. Unless the only means of knowing wheat from chaff requires an administrative specialist or intimediary.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I have something I share with quite a few of the folks who post here on Avalon and that is a surfire shockproof bullsh!t detector.
    I'm of the opinion that this ability is something wired into our emotional intelligence.
    It's why we weren't fooled even though those around who may have had significantly higher IQs fell for this to such a degree we couldn't even help them.
    Indeed at times it seemed the higher the IQ the more doomed people were.

Much love to you Doug and I bow to your magnificent bullsh!t detector.

20. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Antagenet (30th July 2022), Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), gini (30th July 2022), Inversion (30th July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Jambo (30th July 2022), justntime2learn (30th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (1st August 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), Satori (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), wondering (30th July 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Bush Jr has an IQ of something like 135 (hard to believe, I know). Just because one has a relatively high IQ, it doesn't mean they can do or are motivated to do anything good or useful with it.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

22. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Antagenet (30th July 2022), Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (30th July 2022), Inversion (30th July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), Jambo (30th July 2022), justntime2learn (30th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (1st August 2022), Orph (30th July 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), Satori (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), wondering (30th July 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,546 times in 2,065 posts

to me it is a base "Tool" and as in almost ALL things?

there is a lower and higher aspect/manifestation

i consider "IQ" to bs subservient and NOT to be the "higher aspect/manifestation" possible

i was asked to join Mensa i think at 18?

i had clepped out and completed my sophomore year as my friends were about to enter freshman year

i was contemplating a break from junior year in college
    (as my 18th birthday present to myself)

daddy was mad

he said he had made a success in life without completing college (was drafted to Vietnam)

but that he didn't see that for me because i LIKED school .. and offered to pay all my expenses etc

but i was the one who was mad, because he was right, i HAD enjoyed school, and applied myself

enough to rank in top 5% of ALL college bound students in the United States

and therefore receive letters from Stanford, Yale AND Harvard

but i was only 16 at the time and my mother said i was too young to leave the state and live on my own

and it turns out (at least at the time) that if you did NOT go to the ivy leagues your freshman year without having been at deaths' door?

the opportunity was lost to you

so .. i told my dad "thanks"

but i'd gotten my insurance license AND real estate license and making $1000/week held more appeal now than the LACK of challenge of Texas Universities ...

(at the time, $1000 was a whole lot of money, NOT just budget for gas)

and then i got stabbed (read here) .. sigh

ok ... but here's the thing, my intellect might impress those at the stage in their life that are STILL impressed by things they were programmed to be impressed by

an ability i cannot even take credit for

(i didn't develop it, i came IN with it, like i did with freckles and black hair ... NOT my doing)

what i developed was my heart and operating from a heart centered space has given me the love and support and loyalty to this very day, of those i grew up with, others i shared my youth with, then peers as a young adult, almost every business relationship i've ever had became a friend

NONE of that came from my intellect and sometimes could have gotten in the way

NONE of my clients will leave me .. i mean over a decade in many cases

it isn't because of my IQ

i also consider it a "base operational tool" because to whatever degree anyone can use their intellect to figure thing out?

i can close my eyes and SENSE nuances to a far greater degree and accuracy than just pure intellect can decipher

i was talking late at night to a friend here, and he commented on not being "Very smart"

i was floored ... that is NOT my perception of him .. he's read so much and knows so much .. but forget that

he UNDERSTANDS so much .. on a deep, innate level that intellect has no hope of tapping into

as i shared a personal experience i'd had? he reiterated it with such CLARITY and understanding of the nuances i had NOT verbalized that after we hung up i texted this to him:

"See? like i said

You're at a level WAY BEYOND mere intellect

Why (would Source) waste time giving you 3rd grade basic tools

when your abilities take you to Master level?"

AND

"There is NO way to achieve YOUR innate precision of understanding with mere intellect ..

just sayin' ... <3"

he's in here (the thread)

so have no clue as to his "IQ" ... but when i want to ponder the mysteries of life with someone who "gets" the importance of the subjects in the first place?

the nuances? implications? and bounce off of to draw pretty accurate conclusions?

he'd be the guy (and often is) the one i turn to

NOT some of my High IQ friends ...

so .. i guess it is a matter of preference and personal values in determining its importance

for me? there is a difference between having the ABILITY to grasp mental concepts?

and a KNOWINGNESS that far surpasses that

Last edited by iota; 31st July 2022 at 05:19. Reason: added link
    We should defend our way of life
    to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed,

so that any adversary
    will never make such an attempt in the future.

24. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to iota For This Post:

Anchor (30th July 2022), Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), ClearWater (31st July 2022), DNA (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), Jambo (30th July 2022), justntime2learn (31st July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (1st August 2022), Orph (30th July 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), Satori (30th July 2022), Strat (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), wondering (30th July 2022)

25. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,989 times in 1,749 posts

We have to review concepts and ideas in this forum, we are among the people of the world who have come together because we view life and this world somewhat differently to the so-called "Mainstream", in every case mainstream education, knowledge and politics, media are deeply flawed by corruption and self deceiving hypocrisy: the governance of moral codes falls to the most profoundly criminal elements of our society, if you sense and perceive this you can become sociopathic yourself, because the moral compass is an illusion.
    Anyway, before I get distracted and veer off into tangents: IQ is a lot of rubbish.
    One of my projects as an undergraduate - many years ago, was to delve into the history of Eugenics and IQ science, when you seriously research this subject you will discover that the very foundations of what we so willingly accept as being Intelligence Quotient testing evolved from a French project to determine which children could most benefit from public education, I won't go into all of the details about this, you can easily do a basic search online to find out this for yourself.
    What we need to differentiate here is Academic aptitude, and the ability to passively absorb rules/regulations and pre-ordered knowledge, with that of the human scope of creative and protean understanding, the nature of human abilities cover an enormous range of abilities, skills and outcomes, right?
    What has happened is what Rupert Sheldrake describes as being the dominance of the dogmatists, and consensus 'peer reviewed' academicians OVER the true scientific Methodists, and the independent minded researchers in this world.

Our present predicament - where glib minded bureaucrats and misguided moralists have gained power - these EU, and 'think tank' types, the 'Great Reset' and Bilderberg mob, we are currently experiencing overweening regulation and imposition of 'public health' dictates which are justified on paper by 'high IQ' types, these are not smart people!
    I agree with Cliff High on this point, the Khazarian mediocrities and name stealers have convinced us all to comply with educational norms based on IQ testing, but this weeds out the truly innovative and creative people!
    IQ ideology is absolutely wrong.

Cleverness and creative thinking have nothing to do with lists of logic questions and their nonsense - Maslow was onto something with his 'Self Actualizing Person', this is the pinnacle of human growth, when we can determine our own thinking and make what we need, invent what is required to accomplish practical and abstract goals.
    While IQ testing is useful for the bureaucrats to identify their own kind, it has resulted in a backward world, a world of diminishing value-because the true values of Truth, Beauty, Knowledge, Understanding and Creativity have been obscured by authoritarianism, and compliance with regulation.

Merit today is being depicted as a compliant, green, conformist person, someone who repeats the vacuous mantras of pseudo-spiritual 'green' virtue.
    Until we have the courage, and wisdom to dispense with this competitive IQ thinking we shall always be under the thrall of the Kafka-esque bureaucrats and academic dogmatists.

Human intellect is about so much more than the white-coated types allow for, or understand.
    I totally reject intelligence quotient ideology, it is not a science but a misguided tool for creating compliant slaves.
    Don't even get me started on the Eugenicists.
    Last edited by Mike Gorman; 30th July 2022 at 06:39.

26. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Anchor (30th July 2022), Antagenet (30th July 2022), Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), Jambo (30th July 2022), justntime2learn (31st July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (1st August 2022), Michi (30th July 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), palehorse (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), Satori (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), Tintin (1st August 2022), wondering (30th July 2022)

27. Link to Post #14
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,456 times in 571 posts

Common sense has become so rare these days that it should be called Uncommon Sense.

I really think a little helping of common sense would make a real difference; regardless of I.Q..

'Leave it better than you found it.' For example. How do some of these people sleep at night?
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

28. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Antagenet (30th July 2022), Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (30th July 2022), iota (31st July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), Jambo (30th July 2022), justntime2learn (31st July 2022), Orph (30th July 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), Satori (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), wondering (30th July 2022)

29. Link to Post #15
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

One of my siblings is a top notch from elementary highschool college consistent scholar. Even recieve an scholarship from one of the most sought after companies in the country. Surely superior IQ. She was totally sold out to covidiot scam. Even called me a lunatic becuase of my anti covid stand
    The world must be lead by people with high wisdom not people with high iq. I will go with Mike Gorman on this. IQ is one ofbthise bullcrap of the modern world.

30. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (30th July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), JohanB (31st July 2022), Michi (30th July 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), palehorse (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), wondering (30th July 2022)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 times in 293 posts

But they are not
    I recommend checking out this video:

It pretty well sums up the benefits of high general intelligence but also discusses more broadly why the topic is important to research (there are for example over 50 million people in states that have very low IQ – which makes "normal life" difficult – and to help them research is needed).

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Arak For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (30th July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th July 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), Satori (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), Tintin (1st August 2022), wondering (30th July 2022)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,537 times in 32,788 posts

See this interesting thread: (it's all about how high IQ doesn't make a bit of difference if certain beliefs are strongly held)

34. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anu Raman (31st July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (31st July 2022), ian33 (30th July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th July 2022), pabranno (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), Satori (30th July 2022), Strat (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), Tintin (1st August 2022), Yoda (30th July 2022)

35. Link to Post #18
    Great Britain Avalon Member ian33's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,280 times in 463 posts

good for alienation, in my experience
    i notice a degree of hostility here at the general concept of intelligence quota...understandable as its yet another means of artificially separating people into good and not so good..boxing people into categories implying superiority of some sort..
    from that perspective its not a lot different from how you may present yourself, well dressed or not for example..there is a judgement made based on one factor..we are what we are, beyond such things as solving big kids puzzles, as i tend to view it

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ian33 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th July 2022), Cherub (30th July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th July 2022), Orph (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), Satori (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022)

37. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

The highest IQ people are welcome to join with the creative types, the intuitives, the hands-on builders. the existentialists, the intra-personal and interpersonal types.

Life is an on-going process. More valuable than IQ as defined by the establishment are: 1) the ability to think outside the box 2) color outside 'their' lines 3) courage to try new things 4) willingness to think in new ways.

Resources:
    1. Naturalist Intelligence (“Nature Smart”)
    Designates the human ability to discriminate among living things (plants, animals) as well as sensitivity to other features of the natural world (clouds, rock configurations).  This ability was clearly of value in our evolutionary past as hunters, gatherers, and farmers; it continues to be central in such roles as botanist or chef.  It is also speculated that much of our consumer society exploits the naturalist intelligences, which can be mobilized in the discrimination among cars, sneakers, kinds of makeup, and the like. 

2. Musical Intelligence (“Musical Smart”)
    Musical intelligence is the capacity to discern pitch, rhythm, timbre, and tone.  This intelligence enables us to recognize, create, reproduce, and reflect on music, as demonstrated by composers, conductors, musicians, vocalist, and sensitive listeners.  Interestingly, there is often an affective connection between music and the emotions; and mathematical and musical intelligences may share common thinking processes.  Young adults with this kind of intelligence are usually singing or drumming to themselves.  They are usually quite aware of sounds others may miss.
    3. Logical-Mathematical Intelligence (“Number/Reasoning Smart”)
    Logical-mathematical intelligence is the ability to calculate, quantify, consider propositions and hypotheses, and carry out complete mathematical operations.  It enables us to perceive relationships and connections and to use abstract, symbolic thought; sequential reasoning skills; and inductive and deductive thinking patterns.  Logical intelligence is usually well developed in mathematicians, scientists, and detectives.  Young adults with lots of logical intelligence are interested in patterns, categories, and relationships.  They are drawn to arithmetic problems, strategy games and experiments.

4. Existential Intelligence
    Sensitivity and capacity to tackle deep questions about human existence, such as the meaning of life, why do we die, and how did we get here.

5. Interpersonal Intelligence (“People Smart”)
    Interpersonal intelligence is the ability to understand and interact effectively with others.  It involves effective verbal and nonverbal communication, the ability to note distinctions among others, sensitivity to the moods and temperaments of others, and the ability to entertain multiple perspectives.  Teachers, social workers, actors, and politicians all exhibit interpersonal intelligence.  Young adults with this kind of intelligence are leaders among their peers, are good at communicating, and seem to understand others’ feelings and motives.

6. Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence (“Body Smart”)
    Bodily kinesthetic intelligence is the capacity to manipulate objects and use a variety of physical skills.  This intelligence also involves a sense of timing and the perfection of skills through mind–body union.  Athletes, dancers, surgeons, and craftspeople exhibit well-developed bodily kinesthetic intelligence.

7. Linguistic Intelligence (“Word Smart”)
    Linguistic intelligence is the ability to think in words and to use language to express and appreciate complex meanings.  Linguistic intelligence allows us to understand the order and meaning of words and to apply meta-linguistic skills to reflect on our use of language.  Linguistic intelligence is the most widely shared human competence and is evident in poets, novelists, journalists, and effective public speakers.  Young adults with this kind of intelligence enjoy writing, reading, telling stories or doing crossword puzzles.

8. Intra-personal Intelligence (“Self Smart”)
    Intra-personal intelligence is the capacity to understand oneself and one’s thoughts and feelings, and to use such knowledge in planning and directioning one’s life.  Intra-personal intelligence involves not only an appreciation of the self, but also of the human condition.  It is evident in psychologist, spiritual leaders, and philosophers.  These young adults may be shy.  They are very aware of their own feelings and are self-motivated.

9. Spatial Intelligence (“Picture Smart”)
    Spatial intelligence is the ability to think in three dimensions.  Core capacities include mental imagery, spatial reasoning, image manipulation, graphic and artistic skills, and an active imagination.  Sailors, pilots, sculptors, painters, and architects all exhibit spatial intelligence.  Young adults with this kind of intelligence may be fascinated with mazes or jigsaw puzzles, or spend free time drawing or daydreaming.

* From: Overview of the Multiple Intelligences Theory.  Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development and Thomas Armstrong.com

“7 Kinds of Smart: Identifying and Developing
    Your Multiple Intelligences + 2’”,
    by: Thomas Armstrong

Summary:
    Based on psychologist Howard Gardner's pioneering theory of "multiple intelligences," the original edition of 7 Kinds of Smart identified seven distinct ways of being smart, including "word smart," "music smart," "logic smart," and "people smart."

Now, with the addition of two new kinds of smart--"naturalist" and “existential”, “7 Kinds of Smart” offers even more interesting information about how the human psyche functions. Complete with checklists for determining one's strongest and weakest intelligences, exercises, practical tips for developing each type of smart, a revised bibliography for further reading, and a guide to related Internet sites, this book continues to be an essential resource, offering cutting-edge research for general consumption.
    "Emotional Intelligence," by: Brandon Goleman

Summary:
    Emotional Intelligence - The One Important Social Skill To Lead A Better Life, Build Happier and Meaningful Relationships, Enjoy Crazy Success At Work and Discover Why It Can Matter More Than IQ

Did you know that people with higher emotional intelligence tend to naturally cooperate better with their colleagues?

This is because they are more ahead in their communication’s game unlike others. They are not only easily capable of sharing their ideas with the rest of the group, but they are also able to Hear, and most importantly, Listen To What Their Team Has To Say…

It does not really matter what your vocation or craft is. Emotional Intelligence is a skill that translates in all spheres of life... 
    [snip]
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 1st August 2022 at 12:17.

38. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Cherub (30th July 2022), ClearWater (31st July 2022), DNA (31st July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), JackMcThorn (30th July 2022), Jambo (1st August 2022), JohanB (31st July 2022), Orph (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022), xidaijena (31st July 2022)

39. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

Thank you all and I will need to spend further time on all the replies.

I never really thought much about I Q. The person I marginally know with the astounding I Q is not necessarily kind to me. As if I dont count and not in his league. But i dont really know him well enough to understand why he is like that ?

I am a very good problem solver in the mechanical world, I include creating paintings and composing music as part of that. I am not a school type person, dyslexic to some degree so I shunned things as A kid that didnt feel right for me. And this shaped me, some for the better, some not

I often think how would it change a person if he mistakenly learned he had a very high I Q ? Belief in oneself may be the most powerful gift one could have
    Attached Images  

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (31st July 2022), iota (30th July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), JackMcThorn (30th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast