1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

Default Re: Of what use is a High IQ?

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    I am not a school type person, dyslexic to some degree so I shunned things as A kid that didnt feel right for me. And this shaped me, some for the better, some not
    It's not uncommon for bright people to have dyslexia. They often find creative ways around it by tapping into their other strengths. Whereas those that rely on "Why fix it if it ain't broke? It's gotten me this far", they have no reason to pursue nor refine natural gifts.

Could be those pathways atrophy.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Cherub (30th July 2022), DNA (31st July 2022), Ivanhoe (30th July 2022), Jambo (1st August 2022), Johnnycomelately (1st August 2022), pabranno (31st July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,401 times in 4,618 posts

“Tall IQ is about as useful as the tower of Pisa”.

After years of meditation and inner experience I’ve only started to quote IQs as immeasurable..

The truth is that every biological intelligence including advanced intelligence is a function , suppose it oscillates around certain frequency it may evolve whole web - net of specific or non specific functions we call skills, smarts and abilities.

From my life long observation there are many types of intelligence in human beings that could be well be connected to neural centers of ours some call chakras and they’re are generally tied to the rest of our organic functions, hormone and enzyme production, electric signal of heart, brain neurotransmitters and so forth.
    Our very organic intelligence provides semi-automated feedback to the higher intelligence net we internally operate.

Now the point is that IQ is a function and it’s not only influenced by its biofeedback, it fluctuates from moment to moment which means that keeping it stable on particular frequency or velocity requires rigorous training g of some kind but it can be accomplished.

Very few people who showed or used exceptional intelligence through out their life and till the old age did not have or used training and working concentration such as one we use for solving puzzles and difficult problems.

However there are people who do so without “doing it” and without calling themselves smart 😅

🌈

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (1st August 2022), pabranno (31st July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022)

5. Link to Post #23
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,617 times in 1,601 posts

I couldn't have put it better than @Mike did above, great post!!!

I did a bit of research on it years ago and I came to more or less the same revelations.

I told a friend one time you can't measure the IQ of any person based on a believe system (that's what it is), if that person are not aligned with that system, they will probably rank very low in that system.

I never cared or give any real value to such a thing, no offense for those who believe it.

But hey, it is a selection tool used by the fools in power.

As @Bubu mentioned, me too ALL "high IQ" person that I know, were fooled by the covid scam. That alone tell a lot.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

DNA (31st July 2022), Johnnycomelately (1st August 2022), pabranno (31st July 2022), RunningDeer (30th July 2022), thepainterdoug (30th July 2022)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 times in 338 posts

OK one of the questions in this video is "are some people better than others." My answer is a definite yes.

1. Those who have empathy and conscience are better than those that don't. More desirable, more wonderful to relate to, and higher capacity for wisdom.
    2. Those who have conscience but no empathy , which includes many narcissists, are on a rung lower. Less loving, less positive to be around. Cold.
    3. Those who have no conscience and no empathy are at the bottom. Their value is close to zero. They don't belong as free agents in a civilized world.
    Psychopaths, sociopaths are included here.

The more important question for me is, What is the correlation between these three groups and intelligence?

Imagine two groups of those who have empathy and conscience, one with an IQ of 100 and the other 150:
    Probably the world would work a lot better with more sophisticated solutions to everything if the more intelligent group
    made the decisions and organized things.
    Would there be a place in the world for the 100's? Of course!!!
    They would be the majority of workers and be able to be loving parents and have a lot to contribute.

What about if they are intelligence of 60? In my utopian world i would find a way to care for them,
    and help them contribute as best they can but not give them much decision making power,
    and the good of the whole would be served if we removed their ability to reproduce.
    I want to see the intelligence level of humanity slowly increase, not decrease, like it is now.

Their worth as a PERSON is equal but their CONTRIBUTION to society in many ways, is not.

Another area of concern is, Are there more emotionally insufficient people (groups 2 and 3) among the highly intelligent, the moderate or the low?

My guess is that there are equal amounts of narcissist, psychopaths etc.. etc... in all three of the groups. BUT I DON'T REALLY KNOW.

That is one thing that needs to be studied.

I could go on and on but will stop there.

ITs not a simple area of investigation.

Ok one more thing...
    Are creative people more prominent in high IQ's? I think so but also maybe there is a lot of creativity in the low that is never developed.
    Are high IQ people more self-starters?
    Are creative people more likely be be narcissists? LOLO. I could go on and on....

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Antagenet For This Post:

DNA (31st July 2022), iota (31st July 2022), Johnnycomelately (1st August 2022), pabranno (31st July 2022), RunningDeer (31st July 2022), thepainterdoug (31st July 2022)

9. Link to Post #25
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,125 times in 332 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    See this interesting thread: (it's all about how high IQ doesn't make a bit of difference if certain beliefs are strongly held)
    Yea,.. disregard belief.. replace it with experience. <--- This is what I always follow.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anu Raman For This Post:

Antagenet (1st August 2022), ClearWater (1st August 2022), DNA (31st July 2022), JackMcThorn (31st July 2022), Johnnycomelately (1st August 2022), RunningDeer (31st July 2022), thepainterdoug (31st July 2022)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 times in 293 posts

There were many questions I don't know the answers to, but for one, I do know the source where more can be explored about the topic;
    Quote Posted by Antagenet (here)
    Are creative people more prominent in high IQ's?
    In short, there are many different types of creativity, and thresholds vary for those examined in the study linked below.

To summarize:

For creativity (as people often see it) relatively low IQ of 85 was found to be sufficient, a "normal" IQ of 100 provides the capability to produce a few "original" ideas, and when the ambition level for creativity is set to "demanding"; 120 was found to be the point which after higher IQ did not provide an advantage.

No threshold level was not found only for the ability to create creative achievements; i.e., the higher the IQ, the more probable it is to perform creative achievements like writing a novel or making scientific discoveries.

For more info, see the study:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3682183/

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arak For This Post:

Antagenet (1st August 2022), ClearWater (1st August 2022), DNA (31st July 2022), Johnnycomelately (1st August 2022), palehorse (7th August 2022), thepainterdoug (31st July 2022)

13. Link to Post #27
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,817 times in 4,349 posts

What is measured by an IQ test is just one faculty of intelligence, namely cognitive aptitude, which measures logical, mathematical, spatial, and linguistic parameters. But there are other 'disciplines', ones arguably more important than raw intelligence.

Such as ethical intelligence, spiritual, emotional, creative and existential. We possess all these, but they are not properly understood, and are barely acknowledged beyond personality tests (as discussed here).

Character when considered as a metric is not as important as competence. For a practical consequence of this critical deficiency see high-ranking political figures (many of whom would score highly for raw intelligence).
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

ClearWater (1st August 2022), DNA (1st August 2022), Johnnycomelately (1st August 2022), palehorse (7th August 2022), RunningDeer (1st August 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2