1. Link to Post #21
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,294 times in 1,173 posts

Default Re: Strange/stupid ways to hurt oneself

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Oh dear… The signal to noise ratio has changed since I last check the thread. I get it. I’ve been there. It’s a challenge to let it go and get back to the original intent here.

It's a Dutch thing.

Buttuhh, another stupid thing I did.

Getting drunk with a Priest loads of times.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Harmony (14th August 2022), I am B (13th August 2022), Johnnycomelately (13th August 2022), Kryztian (13th August 2022), Mari (12th August 2022), pounamuknight (13th August 2022), RunningDeer (12th August 2022), Spiral (14th August 2022), Vangelo (13th August 2022), XelNaga (12th August 2022)

3. Link to Post #22
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,739 times in 20,828 posts

When my parents were going to a AFCENT party (my dad worked there as a truck-driver and road worker) in 1974 >>> I was 8 years old and was alone in the house ... I was sleeping below in the living room (not upstairs) and used my fingers (in the dark) to guide the plug (cable from a small lamp) with 2 pins towards the entrance of the electric socket of 220 Volt! ... That gave me a powerful electric shock ... I was in my pajamas bare footed if I was not on the bed I could have died ... lucky the bed had some insulation effect.
    • Since then I have a "heart rhythm disorder" having random irregular heartbeats sometimes, they told me you can grow old with having that!
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 12th August 2022 at 18:48.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Harmony (14th August 2022), Johnnycomelately (13th August 2022), Kryztian (13th August 2022), Mari (12th August 2022), pounamuknight (13th August 2022), RunningDeer (12th August 2022), Spiral (14th August 2022), Vangelo (13th August 2022), XelNaga (12th August 2022)

5. Link to Post #23
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,307 times in 674 posts

Haha, as a young adult, I was running for a bus once, on my way to work. I had new boots on and it was slippery under foot, with ice on the road. Just as I reached the bus, my feet shot out from under me (ice patch by the door of the bus) and I fell flat on my back, winded, with one half of my body, my legs, under the bus, and the other half, gazing stupidly at the bus Conductor (of the double-decker London bus) standing by her bell, wondering wtf I was doing 'down there'. If she had not seen me, the back wheels of the bus would have (gulp!) rolled right over me as the bus pulled away. I was not bothered about this though, only by my very wounded pride, as I gathered myself up and boarded, much to the amusement of that special breed - the early morning London commuter passengers.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

9ideon (13th August 2022), Casey Claar (13th August 2022), ExomatrixTV (12th August 2022), Harmony (14th August 2022), I am B (13th August 2022), Johnnycomelately (13th August 2022), Kryztian (13th August 2022), pounamuknight (13th August 2022), RunningDeer (12th August 2022), Spiral (14th August 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th August 2022), XelNaga (12th August 2022)

7. Link to Post #24
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 times in 146 posts

Oh this an embarrassing one. I worked for two summers in Alaska many years ago, first one set-netting salmon and we living in a tiny cabin right on the shore where we had an old oven that we would have to manually light once we turned on the gas. One evening (after a 15 hour grueling workday) I went to prep it for cooking so I turned it on. Despite the fact that I had worked it before, I opened it 10-15 minutes later wondering why it wasn't warm, then I remembered I need to light it first... so I went to light it after gas has been filling this thing all this time. I don't remember exactly what happened but I remember hearing a very loud WHOOSH and recoiled or was pushed back as all that gas ignited.

No lasting damage but it really was a "what the hell were you thinking" moment. My boss who was out doing something else was blissfully unaware that I almost blew up the cabin
    Last edited by Libico; 13th August 2022 at 17:05.

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Libico For This Post:

9ideon (13th August 2022), Casey Claar (13th August 2022), ExomatrixTV (13th August 2022), Harmony (14th August 2022), I am B (13th August 2022), Johnnycomelately (13th August 2022), Kryztian (13th August 2022), Mari (13th August 2022), pounamuknight (13th August 2022), RunningDeer (13th August 2022), Spiral (14th August 2022), Sue (Ayt) (13th August 2022), Vangelo (13th August 2022)

9. Link to Post #25
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,578 times in 982 posts

Quote Posted by Libico (here)
    Oh this an embarrassing one. I worked for two summers in Alaska many years ago, first one set-netting salmon and we living in a tiny cabin right on the shore where we had an old oven that we would have to manually light once we turned on the gas. One evening (after a 15 hour grueling workday) I went to prep it for cooking so I turned it on. Despite the fact that I had worked it before, I opened it 10-15 minutes later wondering why it wasn't warm, then I remembered I need to light it first... so I went to light it after gas has been filling this thing all this time. I don't remember exactly what happened but I remember hearing a very loud WHOOSH and recoiled or was pushed back as all that gas ignited.

No lasting damage but it really was a "what the hell were you thinking" moment. My boss who was out doing something else was blissfully unaware that I almost blew up the cabin
    Hi Libico. Nice to hear of your avoiding being scathed! — considering how often we hear of houses blowing up due to gas leaks.

I have harmed myself a number of times after relying on dumb ideas/thinking, but this story involves ending up fine after a strange turn of events that I choose to believe was unforseeable.

On a cross country motorcycle trip, on my 3rd or 4th night, I slept on my bike while center-stand parked at a highway truck stop. Bike was a big mid-80’s ‘sport-tourer, a Kawasaki Concours with custom fairing and hard cases (my own diy, but then I worked in composite mould-making and moulding). So lots of room and support. Liquid cooled, with electric fan at the rad, I let it idle, got a nice warm sleep until daylight woke me. I had my simple nylon camping tarp over me. Thought I was a genius.

So upon arising, I noticed something that looked familiar laying on the asphalt a few feet away, and lo and behold, it was one of the two rubber grommets that secured the front of the gas tank to the frame. The tank had pressurized due to heat, and had expanded enough that the rubber mount had fallen out (this tank, like all or at least most bike tanks, has a kind of horseshoe-shaped cross-section because it lays over the ~spine of the frame, so the deformation was like widening the u-shape).

Upon cooling, the front of the tank flexed back to near normal, enough to re-install the mount and continue on my way (I carried tools, had done a bunch of serious maintenance on the road in previous years).

I figure that either my gas cap pressure-relief valve malfunctioned and stuck closed, or it was a mechanical version of the frog boiling scenario. Some weeks later I repaired the tank, which had developed a very slight leak. Oof.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Harmony (14th August 2022), Mari (15th August 2022), pounamuknight (13th August 2022), RunningDeer (13th August 2022), Spiral (14th August 2022)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,176 times in 10,106 posts

I stuck my finger in an open electrical socket just because I was told not to.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

9ideon (14th August 2022), Harmony (14th August 2022), Johnnycomelately (13th August 2022), Kryztian (17th August 2022), Mari (15th August 2022), pounamuknight (13th August 2022), RunningDeer (13th August 2022), Spiral (14th August 2022)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,536 times in 2,553 posts

I hopped out of bed in the middle of the night to head for the bathroom, and wound up on the floor with my foot throbbing, and a huge egg on the side of it. Apparently, my foot had been numb asleep, and I stepped down so hard that I broke it. Ugh - had to wear a cast and use crutches, for quite a while. And raising a 3 year old and a 6 month old at the time was quite a challenge with a cast on. Folks who saw me asked if I had a skiing accident. HAHA - uh, no - I did it because I got out of bed in the middle of the night...

It did teach me to always take a minute to sit on the side of the bed and shake all the parts about for a bit, to make sure everything is working before hopping out of bed in the dark!
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Harmony (14th August 2022), Johnnycomelately (14th August 2022), Kryztian (17th August 2022), Mari (15th August 2022), RunningDeer (14th August 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2