+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blue Zones

1. Link to Post #1
    Syria Avalon Member
    Language
    Arabic
    Thanks

Default Blue Zones

anybody lives or lived in any of blue zones cities? I stumbled upon this term in a book titled "The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick" by " Gene Stone.

it would be nice to hear your thoughts or experience. and if you get a chance to have a look at that book contents to share your your feedback

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to superior88 For This Post:

Franny (23rd August 2022), Gwin Ru (23rd August 2022), Harmony (23rd August 2022), Johnnycomelately (23rd August 2022), Kryztian (24th August 2022), RunningDeer (23rd August 2022), wondering (23rd August 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,301 times in 1,173 posts

Default Re: Blue Zones

Quote Posted by superior88 (here)
    anybody lives or lived in any of blue zones cities? I stumbled upon this term in a book titled "The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick" by " Gene Stone.

it would be nice to hear your thoughts or experience. and if you get a chance to have a look at that book contents to share your your feedback
    Can you disclose a little more about that book? Like personal impressions and content information?

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

avid (23rd August 2022), Bill Ryan (23rd August 2022), Franny (23rd August 2022), Gwin Ru (23rd August 2022), Harmony (23rd August 2022), Kryztian (24th August 2022), RunningDeer (23rd August 2022), wondering (23rd August 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

Pdf - The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick

Summary
    Some take a daily nap. Or a cold shower. Some do yoga, lift weights, swear by brewer’s yeast. And one dunks his head in hydrogen peroxide—he hasn’t had a cold in two decades.

In profiles of twenty-five people who never get sick and revealing their secrets and practices, Gene Stone covers the surprising science of personal health. The stories make it real, the research explains why, and the do-it-yourself information shows how to bring each secret into your own life. It’s your turn to become a person who never gets sick.
    Book Overview
    Who does not want to be healthier? Now in paperback: the book that Andrew Weil calls "offbeat, informative, and fun . . . a great read," and that has been praised as "a delightful dance through science" ( New York Times bestselling author Mark Hyman, M.D.) and as a "remarkable and insightful book [that] offers you the chance to achieve the best health of your life" (Mark Liponis, M.D., Medical Director, Canyon Ranch). Written by bestselling author Gene Stone, The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick arose from his desire to discover what might actually prevent him from getting sick himself.

This book, the result of that exploration, tells the stories of twenty-five people who each possess a different secret of excellent health--a secret that makes sense and that Stone discovered has a true scientific underpinning. There are food secrets--why to take garlic and vitamin C, eat more probiotics, become a vegan, drink a tonic of brewer's yeast. Exercise secrets--the benefits of lifting weights, the power of stretching.

Environmental secrets--living in a Blue Zone, understanding the value of germs. Emotional secrets--seek out and stay in touch with friends, cultivate your spirituality. Physical secrets--nap more, take cold showers in the morning. And the wisdom that goes back generations: Yes, chicken soup works. The stories make it personal, the research makes it real, and the do-it-yourself information shows how to integrate each secret into your own life, and become the next person who never gets sick.
    Quote Posted by superior88 (here)

Last edited by RunningDeer; 23rd August 2022 at 08:53.

6. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

9ideon (23rd August 2022), avid (23rd August 2022), Bill Ryan (23rd August 2022), Casey Claar (23rd August 2022), Chris Gilbert (23rd August 2022), ClearWater (23rd August 2022), East Sun (25th August 2022), Franny (23rd August 2022), Gwin Ru (23rd August 2022), Harmony (23rd August 2022), JoePiscapo (25th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (23rd August 2022), Kryztian (24th August 2022), Orph (23rd August 2022), Peace in Oz (24th August 2022), Reinhard (23rd August 2022), selinam (23rd August 2022), Sunny-side-up (23rd August 2022), superior88 (23rd August 2022), Vicus (23rd August 2022), wondering (23rd August 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Belgium Avalon Member Johan (Keyholder)'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,749 times in 531 posts

It is not just cities, but "zones", large patches of land in different countries.

Buettner's seven zones is one way to sum them up:

Sardinia, Italy (mainly Ogliastra and Barbagia di Seùlo)
    Acciaroli, Italy
    Okinawa islands, Japan
    A community of 7th day Adventists in Loma Linda, Californië
    Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica
    Ikaria Island, Griekenland
    Öland, Zuid-Småland and Noord-Oost-Skåne, Sweden

There is one (it is actually the largest blue zone on the planet) I was (and maybe still am) interested in to buy property there.

It is in Costa Rica, the Nicoya peninsula. For obvious reasons (when you compare it with the six others mentioned above).

Land is still available there (at a reasonable cost). Minimum investment is 200.000 US$ (not a small sum of course) to become a "permanent resident".

There are advantages as well as disadvantages. Knowing enough Spanish is important. The entire administrative and financial system is not what we "westerners" are used to. And there are - no doubt - many "unknown" issues and factors to contend with.

On the other hand, in the world we live in today, it can be a potential solution to go and live there "off the grid".

If others are interested in this subject, maybe I can start a thread "Living off grid in a blue zone - Nicoya, Costa Rica".

Let me know.

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

avid (23rd August 2022), Bill Ryan (23rd August 2022), ClearWater (23rd August 2022), East Sun (25th August 2022), Gwin Ru (23rd August 2022), Harmony (23rd August 2022), Kryztian (24th August 2022), leavesoftrees (23rd August 2022), Orph (23rd August 2022), Peace in Oz (24th August 2022), Reinhard (23rd August 2022), RunningDeer (23rd August 2022), superior88 (23rd August 2022), wondering (23rd August 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,220 times in 32,907 posts

Excellent, thanks.

Now in the Avalon Library:

https://avalonlibrary.net/ebooks/Gen...Get%20Sick.pdf

10. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (23rd August 2022), ClearWater (23rd August 2022), Gwin Ru (23rd August 2022), Harmony (23rd August 2022), Ioneo (23rd August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (23rd August 2022), Kryztian (24th August 2022), kudzy (24th August 2022), leavesoftrees (23rd August 2022), Orph (23rd August 2022), Peace in Oz (24th August 2022), Reinhard (23rd August 2022), RunningDeer (23rd August 2022), Tintin (23rd August 2022), Violet3 (23rd August 2022), wondering (23rd August 2022), Yoda (23rd August 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Syria Avalon Member
    Language
    Arabic
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Johan (Keyholder) (here)
    It is not just cities, but "zones", large patches of land in different countries.

Acciaroli, Italy
    Okinawa islands, Japan

There is one (it is actually the largest blue zone on the planet) I was (and maybe still am) interested in to buy property there.

It is in Costa Rica, the Nicoya peninsula. For obvious reasons (when you compare it with the six others mentioned above).

Land is still available there (at a reasonable cost). Minimum investment is 200.000 US$ (not a small sum of course) to become a "permanent resident".

There are advantages as well as disadvantages. Knowing enough Spanish is important. The entire administrative and financial system is not what we "westerners" are used to. And there are - no doubt - many "unknown" issues and factors to contend with.

On the other hand, in the world we live in today, it can be a potential solution to go and live there "off the grid".

If others are interested in this subject, maybe I can start a thread "Living off grid in a blue zone - Nicoya, Costa Rica".

Let me know.
    yes I vote for such great thread, I am interested in such kind of live. as I have read that some people who really had some serious illness (like cancer) moved there as last resort for them and it kinda worked well for them. they got better. not sure if its really true though but somehow checking the statistics of the average age people there, it could be true

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to superior88 For This Post:

Harmony (23rd August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (23rd August 2022), leavesoftrees (23rd August 2022), RunningDeer (23rd August 2022), wondering (23rd August 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Vangelo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 times in 569 posts

If my memory serves me, Dr. Gundry believes the one thing the majority of the Blue Zones have in common is diets that are high in Polyphenol. But, please do your own research on this statement because I have not been able to find the podcast where I think he said that.
    Happiness comes from within, nowhere else.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vangelo For This Post:

ClearWater (23rd August 2022), Harmony (23rd August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (23rd August 2022), RunningDeer (23rd August 2022), superior88 (23rd August 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 times in 568 posts

Quote Posted by Johan (Keyholder) (here)

Acciaroli, Italy
    Okinawa islands, Japan

Let me know.
    I live south of there - six hours or so, but I can tell you some things about Nicoya. It has some of the best white sand beaches in CR - most of the others are either gray or darker sand. It's hot except when it's raining and then its humid and somewhat hot. The locals are a mix of indigenous, Hispanic and people formerly of Nicaragua.
    I'm speaking of the locals - because those are the ones that would have been reported in your statistics. There
    are a few hundred or so expats living there, some from US, many from Germany and other parts of Europe.
    It's a major tourism area and has a new international airport nearby.
    The reason for the healthy people is probably their exercise (poorer people have to do things themselves, don't you know?) their diet - more fish and chicken, less beef, and their high consumption of fruits. Most can't afford to smoke, but there are a few that drink to be sure.
    Not much private transportation so people still walk a lot - even walking to the bus could be a mile.
    Decent and honest group of people - but they move so slooowly. Because of the heat. When we
    vacation there it's like watching honey drip from a spoon when the waiter brings you another beer.
    Not many decent hospitals nearby - Liberia has one but the further you get from San Jose the
    worse the medical care (free) is. On the southern pacific they have Golfito, where you can buy
    duty-free goods. Not much else. One of the US fisherman caught Encephalitis and the boat came
    into port there. The local hospital was caring for him. His girlfriend heard my wife and I speaking English
    and came over to our table to see if we could make any suggestions. Yes, we said. Borrow, steal or beg
    some money, put him in a bus or taxi and get him to San Jose. The hospital in Golfito cures that with
    chicken soup, aspirin, and cold compresses.
    There are plenty of private doctors if you have the money, and it's pretty cheap compared to the US
    or Europe. But if you live within a few hours of San Jose you have many excellent hospitals with
    doctors trained at Johns Hopkins or similar schools.
    A great many in Nicoya speak some English, so that's a plus, but the Covid has caused the hotels to
    slow down drastically so there is higher unemployment right now - and there may be some resentment
    towards rich foreigners. I still love to visit - especially Playa Samara.
    You might want to look at Manuel Antonio/Quepos beach areas in the southern part of that same
    Pacific coast - lots of expats there and really nice place to live.
    I chose the central mountains because I like trees, fresh air, cooler climate (50-80 F year round),
    and the people are the best in the country in my opinion. I just this week got the first cold that
    I have had in six years - my wife gave it to me from our grandkids. I completely lost the sinus
    infections and ear aches that plagued me in the US, and my lungs checked out recently to
    116% better than others my age. I pay $50 a month for both my wife and myself for medical
    care - that includes dental and all medications and of course surgeries. I would equate it with
    a Veterans hospital type care - you have to wait, the medicine is all generic, but it's certainly
    worth it. I now get a small monthly pension from Costa Rica as well as my SS from the States, since
    I have been here 25 years and did work here for some of that time.
    You can get citizenship just by marrying a local - and before you say no to that, take a look, because
    you may not be able to turn that down.

I don't want to piss of the Ecuador crowd. I have been there three times. It's pretty and many things are fascinating there.
    But do yourself one favor - first, admit that at some distant point in time you may wish to
    look for companionship. And second, compare the women there to the ones in CR. No contest.
    So the married in the crowd or the permanently single can ignore what I just said.
    The others might want to consider it further.
    This goes for women looking for men at some point, as well.
    I did not come looking for one. But I have been happily married here for 25 years now.
    This is not my biased opinion, although I am biased, you can check out the Miss Costa Rica's
    vs the Miss Ecuador, Miss Bolivia, Miss etc. and see for yourself.
    I know that I will get some nice comments, so bring em.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

Johan (Keyholder) (23rd August 2022), Kryztian (24th August 2022), Peace in Oz (24th August 2022), superior88 (24th August 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,825 times in 3,461 posts

It isn't necessarily the zone you live in, but what people are eating in that zone.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

ClearWater (24th August 2022), Jim_Duyer (24th August 2022), superior88 (30th August 2022)

+ Reply to Thread