+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Strategic relocation in Costa Rica/ Malawi

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 times in 233 posts

Default Re: Strategic relocation in Costa Rica/ Malawi

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    What is the fattest "NO" of all Ben ?, "spiritually", that is.
    That's for each one of us to decide, as it's very personal, and different people, in different circumstances, will have different options and outlooks as to what is possible.

I wasn't talking about a NO in the spiritual sense per say, rather it's an act, on all levels, of disengaging from a way of being that doesn't bear fruit anymore. It can be as mundane and practical as not paying a parking fine.
    The point I was making, is that not playing 'the game', and instead starting another one is probably our best solution.

Regarding spirituality, I do think it's mostly a prescribed, closed loop system too.

Personally, I think moving to Costa Rica could be a great idea, as I've heard a lot of good happenings coming from there this past while.
    Last edited by Ben; 24th August 2022 at 17:30.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Post:

Harmony (26th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (24th August 2022), Mari (27th August 2022), palehorse (27th August 2022), Stephanie (25th August 2022), The KMan (26th August 2022), Tigger (27th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,590 times in 532 posts

I remember when Michael St-Clair started his "Radiant Zones" project somewhere in Germany maybe 12-15 years ago. It was an off the grid project where like minded souls would come together and build a new local society. That did not last long at the time. Maybe times are different now politically and the pressure is on to comply to new government regulations.
    Still, putting together resources locally to thrive off grid is I think quite the challenge.
    I have been thinking of relocating myself, mainly just getting out of the big city, going for a small piece of land with usable water supply, either from a river or underground water vein and a huge garden and small farm.
    Then maybe have a small village nearby to get contemporary goodies that don't grow on land.
    I would not want to go without electricity , solar power can provide some, but it cannot be the main source I think.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Olam For This Post:

Johan (Keyholder) (24th August 2022), Mari (27th August 2022), Stephanie (25th August 2022), The KMan (26th August 2022), Tigger (27th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

5. Link to Post #23
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,268 times in 2,725 posts

some notes from someone who had move many times
    The most important thing to consider is the vibes of the people. There is a rat race in the forest depending on what the inhabitants are up to. Vibes is contagious. You would want to be in the company of relax people

If you are trying to escape the clout of the controllers. Deep deep into the jungle is the best palce to be does not matter what country you are, Or just hide in plain site. Leaders of the least develop countries are the easiest to corrupt they readily succumb to guns or golds. They can be ordered to force a jab on you. You could find yourself helpless in a place where you dont know anyone, a judge a mayor...

last and most important thing, find yourself first. After which there will no guesing game. you will know exactly & instantly what you need at the time you need it. You will also found out that everything you need is just around you and can be had anytime you want. You just dont see it. Try the magic that grows in cow cake. They have been magic for centuries in all races. The name speaks for the reputation. And remember that best things are normally demonize. If you decide to embark on it, the most important thing is the preperation. Send me a Pm and I will help you.

Goodluck
    Last edited by Bubu; 24th August 2022 at 23:11.

6. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Antagenet (25th August 2022), Ben (26th August 2022), Casey Claar (24th August 2022), Isserley (25th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (25th August 2022), Mari (27th August 2022), Michel Leclerc (25th August 2022), palehorse (27th August 2022), Peace in Oz (26th August 2022), Stephanie (25th August 2022), superior88 (25th August 2022), TealHorizon (5th March 2023), The KMan (26th August 2022), Tiyaira (29th November 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Casey Claar's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,281 times in 758 posts

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    The most important thing to consider is the vibes of the people. There is a rat race in the forest depending on what the inhabitants are up to. Vibes is contagious. You would want to be in the company of relax people

If you are trying to escape the clout of the controllers. Deep deep into the jungle is the best palce to be does not matter what country you are, Or just hide in plain site. Leaders of the least develop countries are the easiest to corrupt they readily succumb to guns or golds. They can be ordered to force a jab on you. You could find yourself helpless in a place where you dont know anyone, a judge a mayor...

last and most important thing, find yourself first. After which there will no guesing game. you will know exactly & instantly what you need at the time you need it. Try the magic that grows in cow cake. They have been magic for centuries in all races. The name speaks for the reputation. And remember that best things are normally demonize. If you decide to embark on it, the most important thing is the preperation. Send me a Pm and I will help you.

Goodluck
    Bubu Shaman. <3
    "Love is what is left when you let go of everything you no longer need." —Raj

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Bubu (25th August 2022), Harmony (26th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (25th August 2022), Mari (27th August 2022), Stephanie (25th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Casey Claar (here)

last and most important thing, find yourself first. After which there will no guesing game. you will know exactly & instantly what you need at the time you need it. Try the magic that grows in cow cake. They have been magic for centuries in all races. The name speaks for the reputation. And remember that best things are normally demonize. If you decide to embark on it, the most important thing is the preperation. Send me a Pm and I will help you.

Goodluck
    Bubu Shaman. <3
    Casey, I have hunch that you understand perfectly what I am saying. When I was a young boy my uncle told me " you'll never know it until you come to it". Thats one irony of life. The people who most need to understand will not understand. But there is a right time for everything for everyone. We just extend the support we can give without sacrificing ourselves and thats it.

back to relocation

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Ben (26th August 2022), Casey Claar (25th August 2022), Harmony (26th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (25th August 2022), Mari (27th August 2022), Stephanie (25th August 2022), The KMan (26th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,331 times in 2,365 posts

When I went to Costa Rica I was surprised athow unhappy and resentful the people seemed, just going by the expressions on their faces. San Jose did not seem like a very safe or charming place. I watch youtube videos of US ex-patriots, and I hear Costa Rica isn't that cheap anymore. I also watch the Hobo Traveler who just travels constantly. The Nomad Capitalist recommends Tbilisi, Georgia.
    Last edited by TomKat; 28th August 2022 at 13:07.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Antagenet (25th August 2022), Harmony (26th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (25th August 2022), Stephanie (25th August 2022), TealHorizon (5th March 2023), The KMan (26th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

13. Link to Post #27
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,841 times in 1,715 posts

Before this Thread goes too lofty, I want to point few "HARD FACTS"

1) There isn't such thing as a free lunch...

2)If you got X money to "escape" to any country, you are in a "bubble", if you cant/want /too difficult to learn a new language, you
    are in another "bubble", then you go with your double bubble in internet and comment here...another bubble...

3) All this remember me the first teaching from Buddha; origin from all suffering are desires...you name it...

That's why Buddhism isn't my cup of tea, WTF are we doing /what for /here? ok I get it, life is suffer. (food for the gods...)

If I desire a Gorgeous woman (Shure troubles...) I know it ... but hey! what's the point with an ugly one? let us suffer!!!

4) If you are afraid of nuclear war, you need to go under the equator line, North hemisphere will be fry...(jet stream anybody?)

5) The only country in south hemisphere with nuclear arsenal is south Africa (no bigy), Australia will be fry too. New Zeeland ?

6) South America, if you are USA citizen you are barely welcome, courtesy from your government bad politics across 200 plus years...

7) Options? with the first bubble and master the second you could try : Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay ,Argentina, Chile and Uruguay.

Good luck for everybody, (no pun intended)
    Last edited by Vicus; 26th August 2022 at 03:20.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Ben (26th August 2022), Harmony (26th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (25th August 2022), Mari (27th August 2022), Michel Leclerc (25th August 2022), palehorse (27th August 2022), The KMan (26th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

15. Link to Post #28
    Belgium Avalon Member Johan (Keyholder)'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,752 times in 531 posts

"Bubu Shaman" makes some good points indeed!

As he wrote: "Leaders of the least develop countries are the easiest to corrupt they readily succumb to guns or golds. They can be ordered to force a jab on you. You could find yourself helpless in a place where you dont know anyone, a judge a mayor..."

... he is correct with that remark! Think about what happened in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), or South Africa (after the "apartheid") as well in many other developing countries (too many to name here).

So yes, thàt is definitely an important element to consider. And preparation is "key" in any case.

Thanks Bubu for your input, it is very welcome here indeed.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

Ben (26th August 2022), Casey Claar (25th August 2022), Harmony (26th August 2022), Kryztian (25th August 2022), Mari (27th August 2022), palehorse (27th August 2022), Peace in Oz (26th August 2022), The KMan (26th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022), Vicus (25th August 2022)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,897 times in 3,467 posts

I never thought of Malawi as an expat destination, so did a little research.

Lots of good things, but here's my biggest concern. In 1950 Malawi had less than 3 million people. It is now 20 million people! But 2050 it should be 45 million people. For a developing nation, it has a rather high population density, almost 400 people per square mile. That would be 900 people/sq mile in 3 decades. Compared to it's neighbor Zambia, which only has about 45 people/sq. mile. There seem to be a lot of water and electricity shortages. The problem should get worse as the population increases and as the economy develops and people use more resources.

Look forward to hearing about how your plans and move progress!
    Last edited by Kryztian; 27th August 2022 at 15:17.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Ben (26th August 2022), Harmony (26th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (26th August 2022), palehorse (27th August 2022), The KMan (26th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Kryztian, you make a good point. Another issue is that it is the 12th poorest nation in the world.

Now, the population density is quite different, depending on the region of the country.
    In 2018, the Southern districts had 625 people per square mile; the Central districts had 540 per square mile and the Northern districts had 215 per square mile. The north has a better climate as well. So it depends where you are looking at.

Drinkable water is important too. There is (of course) a lot of solar energy (present or/and possible).

Labour is not expensive (when needed). And there is not that much crime either.

Still, Bubu's concerns (political ones) remain valid I think.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Ben (26th August 2022), Harmony (26th August 2022), Kryztian (27th August 2022), Mari (27th August 2022), palehorse (27th August 2022), The KMan (26th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

FYI there is a very nice place in th Philippines. Siargao Island, the surfing capital of the philippines. Where there is an international community of tourist. Since they are there to chill, they imbue the place with party vibes. Almost all foreigners I have meet are regular or repeat visitors except for some who choose to stay for good. Been there more than two months. The vibes of the place is very relax compared to other places I have been to. I'm considering returning or maybe staying there. Most of the locals there live on tourist money and they dont bother to farm. Thus the place imports food. I mean farming will be a very profitable business there. While enjoying the beautiful and relax place.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Ben (26th August 2022), Harmony (26th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (26th August 2022), Mari (27th August 2022), palehorse (27th August 2022), TealHorizon (5th March 2023), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Hi Bubu. Thanks for the info above about Siargao Island. I understand you are living in the Philippines right now? So you certainly know the country and how it is managed.

I know next to nothing about the country. I know Tagalog is spoken there (I don't know how many people are good in English?).

Over here, in the past, the political situation in the Philippines has come often in the news (not in a good way). But we know what the MSM make of it (most of the time it isn't according to reality anyway).

I had a look at the properties for sale on the island. As expected, no big plots are available (which is logical, as these are all small islands), and the available plots are more expensive then here in Belgium (OK, you "do" have a bit of paradise then).

For what I have in mind, this can certainly not work. In Costa Rica or Malawi (as well as in some other countries like Botswana, Namibia,...) one still can buy a plot of land of 100-500 acres (400.000m²- 2.000.000m²) at reasonable prices. Of course, non-developed in that case. It just depends on what one wants to achieve.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Ben (26th August 2022), Harmony (26th August 2022), palehorse (27th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Johan (Keyholder) (here)
    Hi Bubu. Thanks for the info above about Siargao Island. I understand you are living in the Philippines right now? So you certainly know the country and how it is managed.

I know next to nothing about the country. I know Tagalog is spoken there (I don't know how many people are good in English?).

Over here, in the past, the political situation in the Philippines has come often in the news (not in a good way). But we know what the MSM make of it (most of the time it isn't according to reality anyway).

I had a look at the properties for sale on the island. As expected, no big plots are available (which is logical, as these are all small islands), and the available plots are more expensive then here in Belgium (OK, you "do" have a bit of paradise then).

For what I have in mind, this can certainly not work. In Costa Rica or Malawi (as well as in some other countries like Botswana, Namibia,...) one still can buy a plot of land of 100-500 acres (400.000m²- 2.000.000m²) at reasonable prices. Of course, non-developed in that case. It just depends on what one wants to achieve.
    Yes Siargao is one of the most expensive in the country which is due to the fact that many tourist wants to settle in that place. But there is still some place here where land is cheap and big. Our first off grid hectare in Davao city cost P 300,000 and the next 3 hectare cost only P180,000. The trick which I knew right from the start is to settle first in a place where you want to and wait for bargains. Bargains wont be in the news they normally are sold to neighbors who have the cash.

Anyways my take on this subject is. Since there is a war wage by the controllers against the people through the politicians. its better to be in the company of people who has the reputation of toppling dictators and jailing presidents and high ranking military officials. Philippines is one of those country. More importantly is to be with people who took care of each other when TSHTF becuase in most likelyhood that's where we are headed. As far as I know Filipinos has one of the best response to covid crisis with our community pantries that sprang all over the country during the crisis. We also have a nice weather, with even rain distribution over the year in most part of the country. the longest coastline and of coarse beautiful beaches
    Last edited by Bubu; 26th August 2022 at 22:54.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Harmony (27th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th July 2023), Kryztian (27th August 2022), Mari (27th August 2022), palehorse (27th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

27. Link to Post #34
    Aaland Avalon Member Blastolabs's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 times in 432 posts

Babu mentioned that if "**** hits the fan" you want to be deep deep in the woods, the country does not really matter.

I agree with this mindset, and want to point out that in the United States we have

188,336,179 acres of national forest land.

The laws right now state that anyone can camp almost anywhere in a national forest for up to 14 days, after which you have to move a stones throw away.

Groups also needs a permit if they are over 75 people.

I would argue that both of the above laws are in violation of the 1st Amendment, which is the law of the land.

Rainbow Gatherings ignore the above laws each year for 50 years.

But my point is that we are talking about "if the **** hits the fan"

If the **** hits the fan forest rangers are not going to come check on you to make sure you move every 2 weeks.

While this might not seem like a "safe and well thought out plan" it might represent a fall back plan "in the worst case scenario"

A Rainbow Gathering takes about a month to build PARADISE in the national forest, so in the worst case scenario we will have to live in paradise.

Does not sound too bad.

Video is from this years National Rainbow Gathering which took a month to set up into the state seen in this video.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Blastolabs For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Ben (27th August 2022), Harmony (27th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (27th August 2022), Mari (27th August 2022), palehorse (27th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

29. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,563 times in 1,590 posts

well after reading all contributions in this thread, it is a pleasure to say thanks to everyone who wrote their point of view, most of the things are true.

But folks in the case of a major war break, in my humble opinion, the country does not matter, war is the same everywhere, war has no tongue or credo, sees no color, war is as dumb and blind as it can be.. it is just the reflection of the actions of those so called "global leaders".

One can be caught in the middle of the chaos (the seating duck) or one can be as far as possible from it, I am not making a joke about it, but law and order can only exist when the instrument of government is used with a real purpose working with and for the people and not against (not power grab as it is today), since I have no faith in governments (I already saw enough and I can just wish they could do better at this point - but it is blind hope I know) and I am a way more aligned with Anarchism than anything else, I believe in small community and I mean small by the size of people living on it, anything that becomes too massive, we know how it ends. A group of small communities is a thing, and it existed since the beginning of time, in ancient Egypt it was called something like "small pockets", it referred for a group of small communities that was living in accordance with their own common rules, without any ruler, and they were always small, the smallest one can be composed by 1 person only.

I have been researching for quite some time now about small communities (small pockets), and I came across a priest that lives in the Italian alps, he and his neighbors has more or less the same mindset, they live all alone or in small numbers a bit apart from each other, but they gather together for many reasons and pretty often, this is the model I am looking for to be specific. Living on your own or with your family or friends, it gives you and everyone in the spread "community" the privacy, security, self-sustainability, spirit of cooperation, and so on.. you look into yourself and you will see all qualities, we all have it, there is people doing it all around the world including here where I am living, I knew a guy months ago, and the thing is, since I know him and he knows me, we have more or less the same mindset, we are fed up with all the lies from this failed state we are living, and we know we can count on each other, for many things.. by instance he needs a hand with harvesting in the next month, I offered myself to help him in his field, for nothing in exchange, just the fact of simple cooperation (if I tell that for some business oriented person, that person will call me stupid or retarded). Oh! and I learned it here, farmers are well used to exchange cooperation, barter and so on.. I am amazed how all these simple human things was totally forgotten in the time... really I feel myself like a ****ing alien sometimes, maybe born in the wrong planet?? LOL I will figure out one day.

Keep it simple and small folks and it will be fine.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Ben (27th August 2022), Harmony (27th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (27th August 2022), Mari (27th August 2022)

31. Link to Post #36
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,340 times in 675 posts

last and most important thing, find yourself first. After which there will no guesing game. you will know exactly & instantly what you need at the time you need it. You will also found out that everything you need is just around you and can be had anytime you want. You just dont see it. Try the magic that grows in cow cake. They have been magic for centuries in all races. The name speaks for the reputation. And remember that best things are normally demonize. If you decide to embark on it, the most important thing is the preperation. Send me a Pm and I will help you.

Goodluck

'find yourself first' Well said. Given that we take our baggage with us wherever we go, and that it will be very likely that we'll screw up 'paradise' if we drag our old crap along.
    So...We need to make that shift on the inside first...it doesn't have to be profound or 'epiphany'-like, but just a inner knowing that you now need something else, that the 'old' isn't working for you anymore. You don't have to know what it is that you do want, just to trust that something has your back here. When that happens, I think you will find yourself guided as to what next steps to take...something else will take over and you'll know just where to go...or to stay put. It will work itself out.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Bubu (27th August 2022), Harmony (28th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (27th August 2022), Sue (Ayt) (27th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

33. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member Arcturian108's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,400 times in 937 posts

Johan,
    I have a good Dutch friend who just sold his home in a small town in Holland to move to a conscious community in Catalonia, that he and other investors are setting up right now. The details are outlined on the following website: https://www.amoria.global/
    Please let me know what you think about it after exploring their option a bit.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arcturian108 For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Harmony (28th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (28th August 2022), TomKat (28th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,287 times in 8,326 posts

Quote Posted by Blastolabs (here)

Rainbow Gatherings ignore the above laws each year for 50 years.
    That might be because the rainbow symbol is a Lucifarian symbol. So, at a guess, I'd say they are on the team, in some way or other.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Johan (Keyholder) (10th October 2023)

37. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Hello Arcturian108,

And thanks for the post and the link.
    I already had a look at the website but to know more, one has to send a request with name, email and phone. That I have not done (yet). I will first try to find some info from another place (not their website).

The project reminds me of a project in Paraguay (many German people there), which already functions.

Amoria looks - at first sight - decent as an approach. But a lot of info is still lacking.
    It will also depend on what they expect as (minimum) investment.

My idea is "smaller scale" and more "off-grid" than somewhere in Spain or another WesternEuropean country.

I will look further into the project. Thanks!

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

All is one (7th October 2023), Arcturian108 (28th August 2022), Harmony (28th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

39. Link to Post #40
    Scotland Avalon Member angelfire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 times in 241 posts

Thanks for this thread, Johan, which is a timely one for me.

I live in Scotland and right now can't bear the thought of another long, dark winter with fuel bills rising to absurd levels. Whatever happened to Scotland's fighting spirit - Bravehearts no more!

I've been thinking about relocation and probably will explore Mexico for a time as I have a friend there who can find me somewhere to live in a very beautiful part of the country in the mountains. Long term, I'm looking for community and a way to survive the coming few years in connection with nature and as self sufficiently as possible.

Sending you both love.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angelfire For This Post:

Harmony (29th August 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (28th August 2022), Victoria (2nd September 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast