+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which book/s would you take if we lost power and had to relocate? Top 20 - 25?

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,283 times in 2,101 posts

Default Which book/s would you take if we lost power and had to relocate? Top 20 - 25?

So imagine a scenario if there was no electricity, thus no internet and it was not coming back any time soon.

Of course there are many items that a person would want/need. I want to focus on important books that would help to make a difference for the next generations.

Let's see if we can identify a top 20-25 list. So if you had one large suitcase or an average storage container/box, what books do you think should be there? (Which one would you most cherish or feel is most important?)

This might be more difficult considering the amount of topics that one would want to cover i.e., science, math, survival skills, medical, structural engineering, entertainment, etc.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Anna70 (2nd September 2022), Delight (1st September 2022), Innocent Warrior (2nd September 2022), JackMcThorn (1st September 2022), Johnnycomelately (1st September 2022), justntime2learn (2nd September 2022), palehorse (2nd September 2022), Peace in Oz (3rd September 2022), The KMan (1st September 2022), Vangelo (1st September 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,467 times in 572 posts

Default Re: Which book/s would you take if we lost power and had to relocate? Top 20 - 25?

I do not have much in my possession; a couple of books for now, but one I keep with me in my travels is A Book of English Essays (16oo-19oo) selected by Stanley V. Makower and Basil H. Blackwell.

Some anecdotes:

Francis Bacon, Viscount St. Albans (1561-1626) Of Masques and Triumphs:
    "It is a strange desire to seek power and to lose liberty; or to seek power over others, and to lose power over a man's self."

Abraham Cowley, (1618-1667) The Dangers of an Honest Man in Much Company:
    "Do ye wonder that a virtuous man should love to be alone?"

"I wish they could unravel all they had woven; that we might have our woods and our innocence again, instead of our castles and our policies."

"One would think that all mankind had bound themselves by an oath to do all the wickedness they can; that they had all (as the Scriptures speaks) 'sold themselves to sin': the difference only is, that some are a little more crafty (and but a little, God knows) in making of the bargain.

Joseph Addison, (1672-1719) The Vision of Mirza:
    "A screech-owl at midnight has alarmed a family more than a band of robbers; nay, the voice of a cricket hath struck more terror than the roaring of a lion."
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Anna70 (2nd September 2022), Johnnycomelately (1st September 2022), Mari (1st September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022), The KMan (1st September 2022), Vangelo (1st September 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,364 times in 678 posts

Default Re: Which book/s would you take if we lost power and had to relocate? Top 20 - 25?

SAS Survival Handbook, by John Wiseman. It's going to be needed....

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...vival-handbook

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

Anna70 (2nd September 2022), Bubu (1st September 2022), Delight (1st September 2022), JackMcThorn (1st September 2022), Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022), The KMan (1st September 2022), Vangelo (1st September 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,407 times in 5,730 posts

Remember to have pencils, pens and paper.

I would take a book on wild edible plants with pictures for one's area.

OK, so what I think we all should do is obtain an E Reader and a solar battery charger. I am wondering which purchases are best?

I have an old Amazon Kindle that allows me to read PDFs. Not sure which E Reader Id choose now.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Anna70 (2nd September 2022), Bubu (1st September 2022), ExomatrixTV (3rd September 2022), Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022), Journeyman (2nd September 2022), Mari (2nd September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022), Vangelo (1st September 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,470 times in 21,114 posts

Lightbulb Re: Which book/s would you take if we lost power and had to relocate? Top 20 - 25?

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 2nd September 2022 at 10:14.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Anna70 (2nd September 2022), Mari (2nd September 2022), palehorse (2nd September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022), ronny (2nd September 2022), Vangelo (1st September 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 103,527 times in 10,071 posts

I always keep this book every time we move besides a few more on edible plants and cooking,

Country Wisdom & Know-How Everything you need to know to live off the Land
    "Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
    - - - - Emily Elizabeth Dickinson. 🪶💜

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Anna70 (2nd September 2022), ExomatrixTV (1st September 2022), Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022), Mari (2nd September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,270 times in 2,725 posts

top 20 to 25 is huge load to carry on a back pack.

I realize I should start reading now, download all books starting from book 1 that way its lightr to arry, cannot bee destroyd by fire or watr. unless I drown or burned.
    And beesides I should not b reading it whil neeeeeedddddding it. ya know plans neeeeddd to b ahad of th first steep. Not saying that you mak plan now. I mak min when elctrcity and inteernet is gon. Im veeeeeery slow raefdr .

thanks for the good suggextions above

and the OP

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Anna70 (2nd September 2022), ExomatrixTV (1st September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022), Vangelo (1st September 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

somehow I felt lazy doing it so probably wont need it.

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    somehow I felt lazy doing it so probably wont need it.
    Oh Yes, thy needd the gridd for control. Thee neext geneeration might be gon but thee grid , neveer

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Patient (2nd September 2022)

18. Link to Post #10
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,750 times in 998 posts

JackMcThorn, I like your book idea. Wisdom is about what is and what works, a headspace that helps in dealing with any challenge.

Quote Posted by JackMcThorn (here)
    I do not have much in my possession; a couple of books for now, but one I keep with me in my travels is A Book of English Essays (16oo-19oo) selected by Stanley V. Makower and Basil H. Blackwell.

Some anecdotes:

Francis Bacon, Viscount St. Albans (1561-1626) Of Masques and Triumphs:
    "It is a strange desire to seek power and to lose liberty; or to seek power over others, and to lose power over a man's self."

Abraham Cowley, (1618-1667) The Dangers of an Honest Man in Much Company:
    "Do ye wonder that a virtuous man should love to be alone?"

"I wish they could unravel all they had woven; that we might have our woods and our innocence again, instead of our castles and our policies."

"One would think that all mankind had bound themselves by an oath to do all the wickedness they can; that they had all (as the Scriptures speaks) 'sold themselves to sin': the difference only is, that some are a little more crafty (and but a little, God knows) in making of the bargain.

Joseph Addison, (1672-1719) The Vision of Mirza:
    "A screech-owl at midnight has alarmed a family more than a band of robbers; nay, the voice of a cricket hath struck more terror than the roaring of a lion."

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

JackMcThorn (2nd September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022)

20. Link to Post #11
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,750 times in 998 posts

Quote Posted by Patient (here)
    So imagine a scenario ...

...there are many items that a person would want/need. I want to focus on important books that would help to make a difference for the next generations.
    Surviving is assumed/implied. OP (Patient) is looking for essence-of our-lives stuff, and mentions topics relating to the outer world. McThorn notes that our understanding of people is a hard-won foundation that we should preserve. I agree with both, and have a few additions.

1. Since the harrowing scenario will likely be due to an inopportune belch/fa*t by the Sun, I would try to bring my 3rd edition of Ben Davidson’s Weatherman’s Guide to the Sun.

2. On the off-chance that this event will not usher in the thousand years peace, but will only be a hiccup and that baddies will still be around, I would try to bring my beautiful 2005 edition of The Art of War. Watkins Publishing of London, printed in Hong Kong,, translated by Sam Griffith.

3. Might be a good idea to find a well worn copy of the Bible or the Koran, or the handbook of any big cult in your area, to help ‘get along’.
    Last edited by Johnnycomelately; 2nd September 2022 at 01:51. Reason: Clarity

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

JackMcThorn (2nd September 2022), palehorse (2nd September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022)

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Johnnycomelately (here)

...there are many items that a person would want/need. I want to focus on important books that would help to make a difference for the next generations.
    Surviving is assumed/implied. OP (Patient) is looking for essence-of our-lives stuff, and mentions topics relating to the outer world. McThorn notes that our understanding of people is a hard-won foundation that we should preserve. I agree with both, and have a few additions.

1. Since the harrowing scenario will likely be due to an inopportune belch/fa*t by the Sun, I would try to bring my 3rd edition of Ben Davidson’s Weatherman’s Guide to the Sun.

2. On the off-chance that this event will not usher in the thousand years peace, but will only be a hiccup and that baddies will still be around, I would try to bring my beautiful 2005 edition of The Art of War. Watkins Publishing of London, printed in Hong Kong,, translated by Sam Griffith.

3. Might be a good idea to find a well worn copy of the Bible or the Koran, or the handbook of any big cult in your area, to help ‘get along’.
    I wonder how will th sun acomplish that? Anyway I havee good news for you. Our gridds is eequiped with a mighty dddvie ccalledd "lighting arrester"
    . In any case theere is an overloadd of EMF this mighty deevicce will automaticcaly cut thee overloadded seegmeent from the reeest, eeesseentialy to the earth. If thre is ddamage wich is unliokeely theen its piecce of ccake to restore. I use to do eleetrical works, At timees I;m occcky enough to show off how eleectricution has no power over me by splicing live wires that eemits sprks in thee proccess, witghout handgloves or pliers

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022), Orph (2nd September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022)

24. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,617 times in 1,601 posts

That was exactly what I thought firstly, I also would carry Mahabharata, the Puranas or whatever Vedas I could possibly carry with me. Another book I would carry is anything that help establish communities (low-tech/no-tech methods ONLY), that would be precious.

In a scenario like that, I believe anyone would not have the time to read much, then the priorities would not be books in my opinion, that is crucial moment in life when the knowledge and wisdom that each one possesses would be in check, survive or die my friend.

I would be more worried in having some basic tools, like a scythe, ax, hoe, rake, machete, sickle hand saw, pick, wrenches, hammer and so on..
    Last edited by palehorse; 2nd September 2022 at 03:03.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022)

26. Link to Post #14
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)

ExomatrixTV rarely fails to deliver!

Thanks John

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (2nd September 2022), Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022), Mari (2nd September 2022), ronny (2nd September 2022)

28. Link to Post #15
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    top 20 to 25 is huge load to carry on a back pack.

I realize I should start reading now, download all books starting from book 1 that way its lightr to arry, cannot bee destroyd by fire or watr. unless I drown or burned.
    And beesides I should not b reading it whil neeeeeedddddding it. ya know plans neeeeddd to b ahad of th first steep. Not saying that you mak plan now. I mak min when elctrcity and inteernet is gon. Im veeeeeery slow raefdr .

thanks for the good suggextions above

and the OP
    Yes, I have backpacked and also had my share of portaging. Even one medium sized hard cover book is too much for a back pack considering all of the other stuff that would be crammed in there.

But even picturing a bookshelf that would only hold approximately 25 books - what ones would you want there?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022)

30. Link to Post #16
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Yes, I never thought of books covering multiple religions.

Have you read "A Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy"?

It was written by Miyamoto Musashi.

If anyone is interested in martial arts and has not looked into Miyamoto Musashi - you should check him out.

The Book of Five Rings contains strategy knowledge that should/could be researched by focusing on one point or "strategy" for a long time to really explore it. As a martial artist, a person might not quickly see how some of these strategies can apply to average life situations, not only training, sparring and self defence. Also, a person with very little interest in martial arts might not see the benefit of the strategies written within the book.

Yes! These books should be on the list!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022)

32. Link to Post #17
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)

That was exactly what I thought firstly, I also would carry Mahabharata, the Puranas or whatever Vedas I could possibly carry with me. Another book I would carry is anything that help establish communities (low-tech/no-tech methods ONLY), that would be precious.

In a scenario like that, I believe anyone would not have the time to read much, then the priorities would not be books in my opinion, that is crucial moment in life when the knowledge and wisdom that each one possesses would be in check, survive or die my friend.

I would be more worried in having some basic tools, like a scythe, ax, hoe, rake, machete, sickle hand saw, pick, wrenches, hammer and so on..
    Of course tools and supplies would be very important. But, for example; just looking at the space available for books - which one would be your choice?

Even from the perspective of a healthy and happy society, the internet "contains all". Books are disappearing from our lives. If you had a box in your closet that you are passing down to your grand kids in case of the internet failing. (Maybe in the future access to the internet is very limited based upon social status, gov and/or military?)

If all of the books were going to magically vanish except one that a person had in their hand - which book would it be?

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022), palehorse (2nd September 2022)

34. Link to Post #18
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)

ExomatrixTV rarely fails to deliver!

Thanks John
    So apart from all of the survival guides (which are very valuable of course) what would be your "entertainment" read?

I would go for Tolkien's "Lord of The Rings trilogy" and I would have to include "The Hobbit" of course. Good thing that there are good paperback versions. The books have it all - fantasy, drama, comedy, moral issues and on and on. Also; poems and songs. A lot of exploring our imaginations and a lot to talk about in a group sharing their experience in reading the books.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

JackMcThorn (2nd September 2022), Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022)

36. Link to Post #19
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,617 times in 1,601 posts

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)

Of course tools and supplies would be very important. But, for example; just looking at the space available for books - which one would be your choice?

Even from the perspective of a healthy and happy society, the internet "contains all". Books are disappearing from our lives. If you had a box in your closet that you are passing down to your grand kids in case of the internet failing. (Maybe in the future access to the internet is very limited based upon social status, gov and/or military?)

If all of the books were going to magically vanish except one that a person had in their hand - which book would it be?
    all right, I went off-topic sorry for that..
    beside the ones I mentioned, I would carry with me, because I have them all here in hard copy, except the Vedas.

- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
    - King Lear by Shakespeare
    - Ulysses by James Joyce
    - The Idiot and Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    - Either Or by Soren Kierkegaard
    - The Sleeper Awakes, by H.G. Wells
    - We by Eugene Zamiatin
    - The Iron Heel by Jack London
    - Anthem by Ayn Rand
    - Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell
    - Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    - Farrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (this one resonate with what you wrote)
    - Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    - A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
    - The Drowned World by J. G. Ballard
    - Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner (I loved this one, read more than once)
    - Sprawl trilogy by William Gibson
    - Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
    - True Names by Vernor Vinge
    - Food of Gods by Terrence McKenna
    - Ready Player one by Ernest Cline
    - Prometheus Rising and Illuminati Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson
    - Maybe the entire collection of Philip K. Dick (that would be more than 25 allowed.. if only one to choose it would be : Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
    - Angel Tech - A Modern Shaman's Guide To Reality Selection by Antero Alli
    - The Machine Stops by Em. Forster
    - Carlos Castaneda (all books are great, but the first one is supreme Teachings of Don Juan)

It is a bit over 25 books.. I have other books different subjects as well, old magazines.. things that I don't know what to do and I know I will not read again, I tried to donate to the local bookshop in the past, but they are getting rid of their books too, the old bookshop closed when covid hit hard the economy around here.

Patient, what would be your list ?
    Last edited by palehorse; 2nd September 2022 at 13:15.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

37. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,278 times in 3,171 posts

The Bible, its plenty long, and she marries him in the end

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022), Mari (2nd September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast