+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which book/s would you take if we lost power and had to relocate? Top 20 - 25?

1. Link to Post #21
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,223 times in 2,093 posts

Default Re: Which book/s would you take if we lost power and had to relocate? Top 20 - 25?

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    Quote Posted by Patient (here)
    Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    Quote Posted by Johnnycomelately (here)
    Quote Posted by Patient (here)
    So imagine a scenario ...

...there are many items that a person would want/need. I want to focus on important books that would help to make a difference for the next generations.
    3. Might be a good idea to find a well worn copy of the Bible or the Koran, or the handbook of any big cult in your area, to help ‘get along’.

That was exactly what I thought firstly, I also would carry Mahabharata, the Puranas or whatever Vedas I could possibly carry with me. Another book I would carry is anything that help establish communities (low-tech/no-tech methods ONLY), that would be precious.

In a scenario like that, I believe anyone would not have the time to read much, then the priorities would not be books in my opinion, that is crucial moment in life when the knowledge and wisdom that each one possesses would be in check, survive or die my friend.

I would be more worried in having some basic tools, like a scythe, ax, hoe, rake, machete, sickle hand saw, pick, wrenches, hammer and so on..
    Of course tools and supplies would be very important. But, for example; just looking at the space available for books - which one would be your choice?

Even from the perspective of a healthy and happy society, the internet "contains all". Books are disappearing from our lives. If you had a box in your closet that you are passing down to your grand kids in case of the internet failing. (Maybe in the future access to the internet is very limited based upon social status, gov and/or military?)

If all of the books were going to magically vanish except one that a person had in their hand - which book would it be?
    all right, I went off-topic sorry for that..
    beside the ones I mentioned, I would carry with me, because I have them all here in hard copy, except the Vedas.

- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
    - King Lear by Shakespeare
    - Ulysses by James Joyce
    - The Idiot and Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    - Either Or by Soren Kierkegaard
    - The Sleeper Awakes, by H.G. Wells
    - We by Eugene Zamiatin
    - The Iron Heel by Jack London
    - Anthem by Ayn Rand
    - Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell
    - Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    - Farrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (this one resonate with what you wrote)
    - Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    - A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
    - The Drowned World by J. G. Ballard
    - Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner (I loved this one, read more than once)
    - Sprawl trilogy by William Gibson
    - Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
    - True Names by Vernor Vinge
    - Food of Gods by Terrence McKenna
    - Ready Player one by Ernest Cline
    - Prometheus Rising and Illuminati Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson
    - Maybe the entire collection of Philip K. Dick (that would be more than 25 allowed.. if only one to choose it would be : Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
    - Angel Tech - A Modern Shaman's Guide To Reality Selection by Antero Alli
    - The Machine Stops by Em. Forster
    - Carlos Castaneda (all books are great, but the first one is supreme Teachings of Don Juan)

It is a bit over 25 books.. I have other books different subjects as well, old magazines.. things that I don't know what to do and I know I will not read again, I tried to donate to the local bookshop in the past, but they are getting rid of their books too, the old bookshop closed when covid hit hard the economy around here.

Patient, what would be your list ?
    I don't have a list - that's why I am looking.

No one has mentioned a Dictionary yet. I would include that one.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022), palehorse (11th September 2022)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,718 times in 2,088 posts

Default Re: Which book/s would you take if we lost power and had to relocate? Top 20 - 25?

DARE TO PREPARE by stan deyo https://www.standeyo.com/Our_Books/DTP.html got everything in it including how long actual medications are really good for .

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022), palehorse (11th September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,409 times in 838 posts

A "Calvin & Hobbes" book by Bill Watterson. Any one of the books will do. A little humor is important.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (2nd September 2022), Mari (2nd September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022)

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 times in 569 posts

If I can cheat? I'd have a solar powered kindle of sorts, I'd keep a few thousands e-books on it just break the boredom, if not

I'd have 'Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy' - all 7 books by Douglas Adams

Complete works of 'Tolkien Omnibus' - though I would probably need a wheelbarrow for transporting them.

Plus, How to build a Wheelbarrow a guide-book by Messrs. Wheeley Goode Reids and Wyze Kracs.
    Last edited by mizo; 2nd September 2022 at 17:39.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mizo For This Post:

Mari (2nd September 2022), palehorse (11th September 2022), Patient (2nd September 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2