+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rare Cover Image from First Edition of Carl Sagan's "The Dragons of Eden"

1. Link to Post #1
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,358 times in 545 posts

Default Rare Cover Image from First Edition of Carl Sagan's "The Dragons of Eden"

Carl Edward Sagan was an American astronomer, planetary scientist, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist, author, and science communicator. His best known scientific contribution is research on extraterrestrial life, including experimental demonstration of the production of amino acids from basic chemicals by radiation. That's from Wakipedia.

In his book, "The Dragons of Eden: Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence" from 1977, the author combines the fields of anthropology, evolutionary biology, psychology, and computer science to give a perspective on how human intelligence may have evolved.

So, Harvard trained, on the staff of NASA, professor at Cornell, etc.

This is the cover from the first edition of the book. It's rare, because not long afterward they changed the cover to something with only mundane design patterns.
    But in this one, we get to see Early Man alongside the Dinosaurs.
    WTF?

At the very least this is strange indeed. What say you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragons_of_Eden.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	49687

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th October 2022), ExomatrixTV (3rd October 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th October 2022), Mercedes (4th October 2022), norman (3rd October 2022), Peace in Oz (4th October 2022), Satori (4th October 2022), Spiral (3rd October 2022), Sunny-side-up (3rd October 2022), The KMan (3rd October 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,639 times in 8,116 posts

Default Re: Rare Cover Image from First Edition of Carl Sagan's "The Dragons of Eden"

Quote Posted by Jim_Duyer (here)
    Carl Edward Sagan was an American astronomer, planetary scientist, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist, author, and science communicator. His best known scientific contribution is research on extraterrestrial life, including experimental demonstration of the production of amino acids from basic chemicals by radiation. That's from Wakipedia.

In his book, "The Dragons of Eden: Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence" from 1977, the author combines the fields of anthropology, evolutionary biology, psychology, and computer science to give a perspective on how human intelligence may have evolved.

This is the cover from the first edition of the book. It's rare, because not long afterward they changed the cover to something with only mundane design patterns.
    WTF?

Attachment 49687

Thanks for the rare book cover image, it's quite telling, without ever reading the book itself.

If your question was "what think you?", I'd say I'm thinking something in the same zone as what I was thinking when I posted this in May of this year.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1497651

Otherwise I don't have anything to say because I don't know anything solidly enough to speak of, much.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th October 2022), ExomatrixTV (3rd October 2022), Mercedes (4th October 2022), Satori (4th October 2022), Sunny-side-up (3rd October 2022), The KMan (3rd October 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 124,908 times in 20,684 posts

Lightbulb Re: Rare Cover Image from First Edition of Carl Sagan's "The Dragons of Eden"

The Dragons of Eden: Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence
    • By Carl Sagan Narrated by Ann Druyan, J. D. Jackson
    • Published by Brilliance Audio in 2017 English, 6 hours 41 minutes,
    • Unabridged MP3 64 kbps, 184.32 MB, 12 file(s)
    Dr. Carl Sagan takes us on a great adventure, offering his vivid and startling insight into the brain of man and beast, the origin of human intelligence, the function of our most haunting legends - and their amazing links to recent discoveries

• related:
    Humanoid Dinosaurs Revisited Again: Russell and Séguin’s Dinosauroid at (Nearly) 40 Years Old

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 3rd October 2022 at 22:17.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th October 2022), Jim_Duyer (3rd October 2022), Mercedes (4th October 2022), norman (3rd October 2022), Satori (4th October 2022), Sunny-side-up (3rd October 2022), The KMan (3rd October 2022), wondering (3rd October 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,358 times in 545 posts

Default Re: Rare Cover Image from First Edition of Carl Sagan's "The Dragons of Eden"

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Quote Posted by Jim_Duyer (here)

WTF?

Attachment 49687

Thanks for the rare book cover image, it's quite telling, without ever reading the book itself.

If your question was "what think you?", I'd say I'm thinking something in the same zone as what I was thinking when I posted this in May of this year.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1497651

Otherwise I don't have anything to say because I don't know anything solidly enough to speak of, much.
    Thanks for your comment. I thought it strange that Sagan was providing a picture that is quite similar to what the fundamentalist Christians tell us when they date the Earth and creation to about 6000 or so years ago.
    But another idea also came to mind - that Sagan might be explaining that both the Dinosaurs and Man arrived at the same time on Earth, from somewhere else in the universe.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th October 2022), ExomatrixTV (3rd October 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th October 2022), Mercedes (4th October 2022), The KMan (3rd October 2022)

+ Reply to Thread