+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Open Focus by Les Fehmi

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,829 times in 458 posts

Default Open Focus by Les Fehmi

Anyone ever heard of "Open Focus?"

I've discovered it recently and it's starting to blow me away.

It's basically developed by Les Fehmi, a Princeton researcher and Biofeedback pioneer.

He looks into the way we pay attention and how this influences our perception of the world, or how we perceive pain. He worked a lot with physical and emotional pain.

Yet, to me it seems this work has massive spiritual implications as well. I'm sure it's been touched upon in different spiritual traditions, and I know playing around with attention (in the body, different points in the body (at the same time), in the body+in the middle of a tree and so on) from my own Qi Gong practice.

Yet, it feels like it's never been looked at in such detail.

He defines 4 ways of paying attention, and they can also mix:

*objective (scientific, disconnected from the thing you're perceiving)

*narrow (focused on one thing, without periphery, straining eyes/face to amp focus up even more, arousal level of the brain goes up, connected to fight/flight)

*immersed (forgetting yourself and time. Becoming (one with) the object (or the pain), feeling of flow)

*diffused (noticing not only one object in a room, but all at the same time)

His point is that we're mostly in narrow and objective focus. We use TV, the phone, music (for falling asleep) to help us diffuse a bit (without doing it consciously)

The spiritual implication seems to be that when you diffuse more, you're becoming way bigger, feel the space, maybe unfold your aura, and you can continuosly increase your sense of space and become more and more one with everything (that's my hypothesis)

I'm currently reading his 2nd book, "Open Focus Life." On his website, https://openfocus.com/, are interviews, workshops and more.

What do you think?
    My book on the philosophy and power of imagination and how to train yours:
    www.jinn-imagio.de/book

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wegge For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2022), christian (17th October 2022), Cognitive Dissident (16th October 2022), Harmony (15th October 2022), Ioneo (15th October 2022), Mari (15th October 2022), Orph (17th October 2022), Peace in Oz (17th October 2022), Reinhard (15th October 2022), ronny (16th October 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member Cognitive Dissident's Avatar
    In a galaxy not too far away from where you are right now
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 times in 409 posts

Default Re: Open Focus by Les Fehmi

Wow, this is very interesting and new to me as well. Will definitely look into it.

Thanks gentle wegge

PS: I just noticed that you and I joined the forum within about a week of each other... in 2011... nice...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cognitive Dissident For This Post:

wegge (16th October 2022)

+ Reply to Thread