+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Missing Time And Missing Sounds

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 times in 192 posts

Default Missing Time And Missing Sounds

Well I'm absolutely gobsmacked and mystified at what happened yesterday afternoon!

I wanted to get some forest sounds recorded for a project I am working on.

Left at 12.30pm got home at 4.20pm

This is what I thought happened:

I went for a drive in The New Forest and wanted to park somewhere where I would not be disturbed. So decided on a place called Lucy Hill car park, Burley, Hampshire. Parked up, locked the car (10 mins drive from home).
    Pulled out my camcorder but it had warning that the micro sd card was not installed. So I put that back in my jacket pocket and then hit record on my mobile phone and kept it in my hand all the time.

Walked into the forest for about ten minutes. Saw a fallen tree and sat on it for about five minutes and slowly made my way back to the car with mission accomplished.

Got home and transferred recording to laptop.

What actually happened according to the recording:

I got out of car and locked it.
    I hit record on mobile phone.

The trees were swaying due to the wind which you can hear.
    After 2-3 seconds, everything changed!

You can hear voices of people talking.
    One voice says; "He changed it" {mans voice}.

At about 54 seconds it sounds like I am in an enclosed space (room?)
    At 2.12 you can hear the word "Help" {man}.

At 3.53 you can hear a woman's voice say "Andre".

I have yet to go through the recording meticulously.

What caught my attention when I first heard it was what sounded like water, but there is no water here anywhere where I was walking.

I did reduce the speed (not the one posted here) to a quarter speed and then it turned out to be voices.

What's your thoughts?

https://projectavalon.net/New_Forest...ill_Burley.mp3

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Rosco1 For This Post:

avid (20th October 2022), Ben (21st October 2022), Bill Ryan (20th October 2022), Casey Claar (20th October 2022), Creedence (20th October 2022), Denise/Dizi (20th October 2022), GroovieBean (21st October 2022), Ioneo (21st October 2022), Ivanhoe (20th October 2022), Journeyman (21st October 2022), Mark (20th October 2022), meeradas (21st October 2022), norman (20th October 2022), Orph (20th October 2022), Sadieblue (21st October 2022), Sue (Ayt) (21st October 2022), superior88 (21st October 2022), The KMan (20th October 2022), Trisher (20th October 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,445 times in 8,340 posts

Default Re: Missing Time And Missing Sounds

"After 2-3 seconds, everything changed"

Mobile phones are not my thing so please excuse my ignorance but did you have to boot up an audio recording app to make this recording, and did you change anything after 2 or 3 seconds, manually, e.g activate noise reduction ?

In general, what I hear is an excessive amount of 'noise reduction' algorithm artefacts. Until it gets to where you say you hear the word Andre I don't hear what you hear. At the word Andre I hear something very similar to that word but I think it's a garbled environmental sound like maybe a bird cry.

If your recording app has options for how much 'noise reduction' to apply, it's set too high for getting natural sounds at low volume level that sound like natural sounds in a recording, afterwards.

Were there birds or people in the area making birds or people sounds ?

My advice, for low level outdoor recording, if it's possible, turn 'noise reduction' completely off for any future recording you might do. Ironically, 'noise reduction' works best at high signal levels and makes a complete garbled mess of low signal levels. Yea, I know, that sounds nuts, and it is, that's why I personally avoid using it almost entirely.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (22nd October 2022), Journeyman (21st October 2022), meeradas (21st October 2022), Orph (20th October 2022), Rosco1 (20th October 2022), The KMan (20th October 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Denise/Dizi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 times in 1,695 posts

Well that is very strange indeed! If the recordings told of nothing really dramatic, the time differences sure did... When giving you even extra time here and there, you have a full 2 hours and an additional 20 minutes not accounted for... (If your estimates are accurate)

12:30pm.. with 10 minutes to get there
    Now 12:40…

Approx five to secure vehicle… and another ten to arrive at the fallen tree…

12:55 PM

Five minutes on tree… 1pm…

recorded only 24.29 minutes… Assuming it was all done at the tree, which I believe is not the case...

1:29 pm…

Slowly made way back to vehicle… estimated time? 20 minutes if moving more slowly?

1:49 pm…

Plus 10 more to drive home…

1:59 pm to 2 pm..

Clock said 4:20 when home…

Missing 2 hours and 20 minutes....

So assuming you started the recorder when you left the vehicle, and not when you arrived at the fallen tree, those extra 24 minutes given into the equation, would diminish as well, making your time gap larger than a mere 2 hours and 20 minutes!

I listened to the file... It sounded a lot to me like small birds, and perhaps something rubbing up against the microphone while you were holding the phone... And being it is a digital recorder, it translated that contact into digital noise... Yet I can't say this is at all what really happened... Just a theory...

But what about all of that missing time? Very strange indeed....

Did you have any unusual dreams, or thoughts after the fact yesterday that may give some clues as to what happened during that time?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

GroovieBean (21st October 2022), Johnnycomelately (22nd October 2022), Journeyman (21st October 2022), Rosco1 (20th October 2022), The KMan (20th October 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hi Denise,

Listening back to the recording uploaded here, does seem slightly different to the one on my laptop.

I’ll record the 2nd one from the one which I slowed to quarter speed and you can hear the words here and there spoken. I’ll record it tomorrow with my camcorder to see if it uploads better than the original one posted here.

Please note, the only thing I changed on 2nd one is the speed.

Yes I can hear birds in recording.

I have been abducted before, from my bedroom on January 13th 2013, and have written elsewhere on Avalon about it.

No dreams yet about what happened, just a weird feeling of WTF???

Also I do plan to go back and retrace my forest walk recording with camcorder and see what happens.

Weather is not too good here tomorrow, so will do this on the next day it doesn’t rain.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rosco1 For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (22nd October 2022), Johnnycomelately (22nd October 2022), Journeyman (21st October 2022), meeradas (21st October 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Denise/Dizi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 times in 1,695 posts

Very interesting Rocso! Could you point me to the thread(s) about your abduction? Who was involved, if you knew?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (22nd October 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Denise/Dizi (here)
    Very interesting Rocso! Could you point me to the thread(s) about your abduction? Who was involved, if you knew?
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...251#post711251

Posts 204 + 213

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosco1 For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (22nd October 2022)

+ Reply to Thread