+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wholistic Medicine: are all supplements the same quality?

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,487 times in 1,711 posts

Default Wholistic Medicine: are all supplements the same quality?

Is there any really significant difference between the vitamins and minerals you get from different companies, those recommended by a Naturopathic Dr. for instance, (that will cost a lot more) or a Cardiologist or local Family Physician?

I know there are some differences depending on location (I'm in USA) State, City, Company etc. but some distributors cater to Drs. only or mostly.

Anyone know how they vary and how effective one is from the other.
    Any info. is much appreciated.

E.S.
    Last edited by East Sun; 10th November 2022 at 10:52.
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

avid (10th November 2022), Bill Ryan (9th November 2022), Casey Claar (18th January 2023), Ewan (17th January 2023), Harmony (10th November 2022), Hym (10th November 2022), Ioneo (10th November 2022), Johnnycomelately (10th November 2022), Pam (10th November 2022), Peace in Oz (10th November 2022), Sadieblue (10th November 2022), Sue (Ayt) (9th November 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,579 times in 32,794 posts

Default Re: Wholistic Medicine: are all supplements the same quality?

Quote Posted by East Sun (here)
    Is there any really significant difference between the vitamins and minerals you get from different companies, those recommended by a Naturopathic Dr. for instance, (that will cost a lot more) or a Cardiologist or local Family Physician?

I know there are some differences depending on location (I'm in USA) State, City, Company etc. but some cater to Drs. only or mostly.

Yes, there sometimes is a major difference, and part of this is all about the person's individual biochemistry and metabolism.

A good kinesiologist can easily verify (e.g.) what brand of Vitamin C will strengthen yout system, as opposed to the opposite. (With some practice, one can actually do this solo as well.)

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (10th November 2022), avid (10th November 2022), Casey Claar (18th January 2023), East Sun (10th November 2022), Ewan (17th January 2023), Harmony (10th November 2022), Hym (10th November 2022), Ioneo (10th November 2022), Johnnycomelately (10th November 2022), Mari (17th January 2023), Pam (10th November 2022), Peace in Oz (10th November 2022), Reinhard (10th November 2022), Yoda (10th November 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Australia Avalon Member Violet3's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,370 times in 236 posts

yes there is huge variation in price and quality unfortunately. I have found the best quality is practitioner prescribed, but it is so annoying that you can't order this yourself when you know a product works for you. I guess there is a duty of care issue involved to prevent people buying stuff that is not going to help them much depending on current symptoms. I suspect there is also a kickback to prescribers thing going on as well, though I don't know for sure. I certainly would not take suggestions from a medical doctor unless trained in alternative modalities, as they really do not know much about supplements and even nutrition is not well covered if at all in medical training.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Violet3 For This Post:

avid (10th November 2022), Bill Ryan (10th November 2022), bobme (11th November 2022), East Sun (10th November 2022), Ewan (17th January 2023), Harmony (10th November 2022), Johnnycomelately (10th November 2022), Mari (17th January 2023), Pam (10th November 2022), Reinhard (10th November 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Violet3 (here)
    yes there is huge variation in price and quality unfortunately. I have found the best quality is practitioner prescribed, but it is so annoying that you can't order this yourself when you know a product works for you. I guess there is a duty of care issue involved to prevent people buying stuff that is not going to help them much depending on current symptoms. I suspect there is also a kickback to prescribers thing going on as well, though I don't know for sure. I certainly would not take suggestions from a medical doctor unless trained in alternative modalities, as they really do not know much about supplements and even nutrition is not well covered if at all in medical training.
    Violet3,
    Awake this morning around 4 or 5 AM I realized that I should have added what you have said.
    Except for Naturopathic Drs, in my experience, most others that I mentioned, only prescribe drugs and unfortunately did not learn much about nutrition.
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th November 2022), Ewan (17th January 2023), Mari (17th January 2023), Pam (10th November 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

I know there are some differences depending on location (I'm in USA) State, City, Company etc. but some cater to Drs. only or mostly.

Yes, there sometimes is a major difference, and part of this is all about the person's individual biochemistry and metabolism.

A good kinesiologist can easily verify (e.g.) what brand of Vitamin C will strengthen yout system, as opposed to the opposite. (With some practice, one can actually do this solo as well.)
    I am not familiar with Kinesiologists but will definitely check that out. Thanks!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th November 2022), Ewan (17th January 2023), Mari (17th January 2023)

11. Link to Post #6
    Turkey Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 times in 216 posts

ok, a pharmacist here with long experience in supplement production.

as others mentioned, yes there is huge difference. and these differences also differ within sub-categories also! here is a quick summary:

VITAMINS:
    we have two options here, natural or synthetic vitamins. to be honest most vitamins do not show great difference in metabolism or absorption - with two significant exceptions: vitamin e & beta carotene. when it comes to these two, always try to choose natural ones (nat vit e is d-alpha tocopherol and synthetic is dl-alpha tocopherol, you can see this on labels). beta carotene is a very interesting case - synthetic version even showed some increase in cancers in some studies back in 90s. so again always try to choose beta carotene obtained from carrot or sea weed.

MINERALS:
    now all the minerals are inorganic and comes from the soil - no difference in mineral structure. the difference is forms (or salts) here. chelated (organic) minerals always have higher absorption so these seem better choices with less side effects in gastrointestinal system. for example magnesium glycinate is always better than magnesium sulphate (in fact different magnesium forms can be used in different problems).

FATTY ACIDS:
    we have to look for exact dosage of the fatty acids that we want to use here. for example if we want to use omega-3, the dosage on the label may not mean anything - the total amount of epa+dha is important. in most cases 1000 mg of fish oil gives you 300 mg epa+dha, so it comes short.

HERBALS:
    here is sub-category with biggest difference: no two herbal supplement is the same! (ok, a bit exaggeration here). in herbal supplements the percentage of main active ingredient may vary big amounts. for example if you want to use quercetin, two different brands may have 500 mg of quercetin - and one may have %90 pure quercetin and the other may have %20. or if you want to use st. john's wort, one may have %0,9 hypericin which is desired for clinical results and one may not have any hypericin at all. unfortunately as these are not regulated, it mostly comes to the manufacturer's ethics. that's why you can see the same supplement for 1 $ or 10 $ with the same dosage on the label.

as a summary it is important to use a trusted brand or even if it's a new brand, it's better to look for clean & transparent label - which includes the exact dosages and percentage of standardizations.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Feritciva For This Post:

Alan (10th November 2022), avid (10th November 2022), Bill Ryan (11th November 2022), Casey Claar (18th January 2023), Docim369 (18th January 2023), East Sun (10th November 2022), Ewan (17th January 2023), John'sKatya (10th November 2022), Le Chat (10th November 2022), Mari (17th January 2023), superior88 (18th January 2023), wondering (17th January 2023)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

I know there are some differences depending on location (I'm in USA) State, City, Company etc. but some distributors cater to Drs. only or mostly.

E.S.

the ones sold by network marketing companies like Amway are best, ha ha.
    Seriously, someone who subscribed to CSPI (Science in the public interest) told me tCSPI tested various vitamins and found some of the best are the cheapest, available at any drug store. I tend to trust supplements sold by Trader Joe's because they used to (no longer) sell a probiotic that made my stools noticeably firmer.
    Last edited by TomKat; 10th November 2022 at 17:58.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th November 2022), Ewan (17th January 2023), wondering (17th January 2023)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Feritciva (here)

as others mentioned, yes there is huge difference. and these differences also differ within sub-categories also! here is a quick summary:

MINERALS:
    now all the minerals are inorganic and comes from the soil - no difference in mineral structure. the difference is forms (or salts) here. chelated (organic) minerals always have higher absorption so these seem better choices with less side effects in gastrointestinal system. for example magnesium glycinate is always better than magnesium sulphate (in fact different magnesium forms can be used in different problems).
    Thanks, Feritciva

Magnesium Glycinate is what my Naturopath Dr. recommended, but they are kind of expensive for me and
    I have to have them sent by mail from Fullscript. Is Magnesium Glycinate from a Health Foods store or a
    Pharmacy just as good?
    Thanks in advance.
    E.S.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th November 2022), Ewan (17th January 2023), wondering (17th January 2023)

17. Link to Post #9
    Turkey Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 times in 216 posts

Quote Posted by Feritciva (here)

MINERALS:
    Thanks, Feritciva

Magnesium Glycinate is what my Naturopath Dr. recommended, but they are kind of expensive for me and
    I have to have them sent by mail from Fullscript. Is Magnesium Glycinate from a Health Foods store or a
    Pharmacy just as good?
    Thanks in advance.
    E.S.
    Hi East Sun

Mg-glycinate from pharmacies are always better - but this is the case in Turkey of course. But probably it's the same in US.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feritciva For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th November 2022), East Sun (17th January 2023), Ewan (17th January 2023), Mari (17th January 2023), wondering (17th January 2023)

19. Link to Post #10
    Syria Avalon Member
    Language
    Arabic
    Thanks

I was watching a documentary about "Dietary Supplements: the truth that they don't want you to know" (its in Arabic only unfortunately).

he was discussing about some facts which most of us are not aware about those called "Vitamins" and some scandals which has hit this business many times on many occasions.

my point of this thread is sharing experience and opinions or views about this business?

some people know that there is a difference between organic vitamins vs synthetic but I think there is much more beyond this.

Looking at how this business booming, while (if its what its supposed to be) its totally against elite's goal. and yet media and even medical communities keep promoting it.

PS : I will try to translate the main points of the video and post them here so we can discuss the criticism about them.
    Last edited by superior88; 17th January 2023 at 10:25.
    People are not crazy but live in different reality, not stupid but own different mentality, not bad but look for different morality
    , not selfish but have different priority, not boring but need different compatibility

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to superior88 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2023), Docim369 (17th January 2023), East Sun (17th January 2023), Ewan (17th January 2023), Harmony (17th January 2023), Ioneo (17th January 2023), Pam (17th January 2023), Sunny-side-up (17th January 2023)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

Thanks' superior88,
    try breaking down the main points as presented in that vid
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2023), East Sun (17th January 2023), Ewan (17th January 2023), Pam (17th January 2023), superior88 (17th January 2023)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

I have certainly become suspicious of them. I do take a whole food vitamin along with vitamin d and K2 with iodine. I actually drink a concoction that is basically ground seaweed and rely on a good quality whole salt. The synthetic vitamin is something I gave up. I have mentioned on the forum before , while looking at the ingredients of a popular brand of B complex I was blown away at the crap in it. Now I take a bit of nutritional yeast. I also use mineral supplementation, particularly magnesium.

I really don't like feeling this cautious but check out any supplements you eat, and as always, food is the best medicine. And food needs to stay as close to natural as possible.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2023), East Sun (17th January 2023), Ewan (17th January 2023), Peace in Oz (18th January 2023), superior88 (17th January 2023)

25. Link to Post #13
    Syria Avalon Member
    Language
    Arabic
    Thanks

People are not crazy but live in different reality, not stupid but own different mentality, not bad but look for different morality
    , not selfish but have different priority, not boring but need different compatibility

26. The Following User Says Thank You to superior88 For This Post:

Ewan (18th January 2023)

+ Reply to Thread