+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Qatar, Football... Bread and Circuses.

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,172 times in 572 posts

Default Qatar, Football... Bread and Circuses.

In just over a week the the 32 footballing nations will descend upon Qatar for what is known as the World Cup.

Given all the controversies since Qatar was chosen to hold this event, including all the FIFA officials were accused of corruption and allowing Qatar to "buy" the World Cup; to the abuse of the migrant workers and all the slavery allegations.

Given that over 28,000 migrant workers that were employed to work in the extreme heat in unbearable conditions, and in building the stadiums they were being paid only £190 per month or 99 pence an hour for a typical 48-hour week, plus, not forgetting all the reported and untold numbers of migrant workers deaths, by many 100's in some reports!

Having to move the event from what was traditionally held midyear between June and July to later in November to December, because of the extreme heat in Qatar, which also has the knock on affect of cutting the majority of participating footballing seasons into two.

Add to the mix the ultra strict laws in Qatar as to human rights in regards to peoples sexual preferences, woman's rights, not forgetting the Sharia laws and it's strictness towards alcohol.

Also, the banishment of Russia's Football team and all the political hubbub surrounding this tournament and how, if any, can the current worldwide crises affect the event- will it be a 'bread and circuses' sideshow or a melting pot (pun intended) of catastrophes?

I have spoken to few footballing fans that I know, and they seem pretty much underwhelmed by the whole occasion.

So will any members here be watching their nation play?

Personally, I'll be giving it a miss.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mizo For This Post:

Alecs (11th November 2022), Bassplayer1 (11th November 2022), Brigantia (10th November 2022), Eric J (Viking) (10th November 2022), jaybee (11th November 2022), Johnnycomelately (11th November 2022), palehorse (11th November 2022), Patient (11th November 2022), Reinhard (10th November 2022), Satori (11th November 2022), Spiral (10th November 2022), wegge (10th November 2022), ZenBaller (10th November 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,340 times in 675 posts

Default Re: Qatar, Football... Bread and Circuses.

Oh yes, Bread and Circuses..
    Have never liked football, though I did enjoy the Lionesses winning the women's World Cup...they were far more imaginative and skilled than the present lot jetting their way to Qatar. The business of Premier league footie has become so corrupt, so I'm completely not surprised that it doesn't seem to give a toss about sending our team to a country with an appalling record of human rights.
    They fit like a glove, don't they?
    And no, I'll not be going anywhere near the WC as it plays out.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (11th November 2022), Brigantia (10th November 2022), Johnnycomelately (11th November 2022), mizo (10th November 2022), Spiral (10th November 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,670 times in 1,986 posts

This distraction will be a great window of opportunity to start all kind of covert war operations. They've used olympic games (like e.g. in 2008) for this too ...

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Operator For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (11th November 2022), Brigantia (10th November 2022), Johnnycomelately (11th November 2022), Mari (10th November 2022), Michi (11th November 2022), mizo (10th November 2022), Spiral (10th November 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,563 times in 1,590 posts

Qatar is an oven, been there long ago. I didn't know they are going to have a world cup there, weird!
    Last time I watched it was in 1998, I will pass again, the same for Olympic games, it all became so ****ed up (last one I watched the karate, but seems better challenges in local DOJO haha) - sorry for the words.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (11th November 2022), mizo (11th November 2022), TomKat (11th November 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,172 times in 572 posts

I can imagine this will certainly upset a quite a few of the travelling fans... Albeit, Bud Zero is still available

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mizo For This Post:

Snoweagle (18th November 2022)

+ Reply to Thread