+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High Ferritin Levels/ Iron/ Hemochromatosis - what to do?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,268 times in 3,170 posts

Default High Ferritin Levels/ Iron/ Hemochromatosis - what to do?

Hey friends

I have very high ferritin levels. I do not know if its genetic or not. Before I expand, does anyone have this condition and have dealt with any symptoms and remedies

Im told I can donate blood. And to avoid red meat which I eat being mainly on a keto diet.

here are symptoms taken from the web/ I have some of these to varying extents.

~

Some people with hereditary hemochromatosis never have symptoms. Early signs and symptoms often overlap with those of other common conditions.

Signs and symptoms may include:

Joint pain
    Abdominal pain
    Fatigue
    Weakness
    Diabetes
    Loss of sex drive
    Impotence
    Heart failure
    Liver failure
    Bronze or gray skin color
    Memory fog

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Anu Raman (21st November 2022), avid (19th November 2022), Bill Ryan (19th November 2022), Chris Gilbert (21st November 2022), ClearWater (20th November 2022), Dennis Leahy (19th November 2022), Harmony (19th November 2022), heretogrow (19th November 2022), Ioneo (19th November 2022), Johnnycomelately (22nd November 2022), Pam (19th November 2022), Sadieblue (20th November 2022), Stephanie (19th November 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Default Re: High Ferritin Levels/ Iron/ Hemochromatosis - what to do?

Doug, did you have more bloodwork done? It would be helpful if you could provide the other data. It's kind of hard to assess what is going on with just that info. I don't know if you want to share that or not, but I have worked in (I am getting ashamed to admit it) as a RN for a long time. I did a lot of work in nephrology, pathology of the kidneys which involves a lot of blood issues. If you want (and I certainly don't blame you if you do not) to share the other values of course you would not share anything that provides personal ID data, I would be happy to try to assess or at least give my 2 cents on it.

If you choose to share that info, it would be good to know how long you have had this and once again if you care to share symptoms that would be helpful. Let me just qualify that the reason I would ask this is sometimes what the medical system calls abnormal may in fact not be abnormal at all. I do see you say they are very high. They may be slightly out of the parameters they have decided are normal but those numbers where created a long time ago and the parameters were set by young healthy people. What may be normal for a 20 year old athlete may not be normal for a person that is 69. Always remember , there medicine is big business and if they can get you on an expensive drug for life all the better. That is why I am asking for more information if you care to share it.

Also, there are some pretty sharp cookies on here that may be able to toss around ideas. You are doing the right thing. You are seeking other info. You have done some very kind things for people over the years on this forum and I would be more than happy to take a look at possibilities if you wish.

I realize you are just asking for those that may have been diagnosed with this so I might be stepping out of line that is fine. If you chose to answer, how intense is your keto diet?

I totally get it if you don't want to answer. Just be cautious before they drag you into their system...you look pretty dang healthy to me, in that picture anyway.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Alecs (19th November 2022), Bill Ryan (19th November 2022), Dennis Leahy (19th November 2022), Harmony (19th November 2022), Sadieblue (20th November 2022), Stephanie (19th November 2022), thepainterdoug (19th November 2022), Wansen (19th November 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

Hi Doug, have you tried adding (probably high doses of) turmeric? https://hemochromatosishelp.com/hemo...s-supplements/

"Have you ever wondered if there were natural ways to help when you have hemochromatosis?

Are there vitamins, herbs, or supplements that may help lower iron in the body?

The answer is YES

While not a replacement for conventional treatments like phlebotomy, there are many remedies from the natural world that may help you feel better and improve your overall health with hemochromatosis.

In this article, I will describe the different types of nutritional supplements and natural remedies for hemochromatosis, including a list of some of the top vitamins and herbs to use if you have iron overload.

We’re also going to break down the three main ways supplements may help with iron overload so you can know which options are best for you."

Hemochromatosis Supplements: https://hemochromatosishelp.com/hemo...s-supplements/

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Anu Raman (21st November 2022), Bill Ryan (19th November 2022), ClearWater (20th November 2022), Harmony (19th November 2022), Matthew (20th November 2022), Pam (20th November 2022), Sadieblue (20th November 2022), Stephanie (19th November 2022), thepainterdoug (19th November 2022), Wansen (19th November 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

PAM THANKS MUCH / I will look over the most recent blood work and share.

I have been told that donating blood would be good. yet it has become difficult and complicated, many rules and restrictions and I will have to go into a facility that I would rather not do. Im 0- blood and pure. I feel great, other than difficult sleep and some itchy skin here and there that could be cause by any number of things. Playing ice hockey 2-3 days a week each 2 hour games and feel good

Dennis, thanks I take Tumeric and others, Ill get the list . I will also look at your links.

Funny thing is my iron is normal, my ferritin high

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th November 2022), ClearWater (20th November 2022), Dennis Leahy (21st November 2022), Harmony (19th November 2022), Pam (20th November 2022), Sadieblue (20th November 2022), Stephanie (19th November 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Pam/ Dennis and all wise and caring friends. ask any question .

I also take a pro biotic with a supplement Pro Butyrate 600 mg. supposed to help lower ferritin

heres some blood history/ 0- blood type

approaching 70 years old, off the above original list , I have a lower sex drive which I am very happy about, (testosterone 433 whoo hoo!) and some brain fog . Join the club!
    no other symptoms to mention other than some nagging itching skin at times.

year 2016- IRON 77 Ferritin 372
    3/2019 145 415
    11/2019 94 313
    3/2021 n/a 375
    3/2022 135 563
    Last edited by thepainterdoug; 19th November 2022 at 17:44.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th November 2022), Dennis Leahy (21st November 2022), Harmony (19th November 2022), Pam (20th November 2022), Sadieblue (20th November 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,194 times in 437 posts

Hi Doug
    It might be worth checking out what Jack Kruse says about Ferritin.

" Most people know that an elevated ferritin can lead to early aging and a lack of performance. Most people have no idea why. It is due to how iron and sunlight work or do not work together? Did you know that ferritin has a special protein coat that shield the iron crystals in the Fe (III) oxidation state? Did you know ferritin is PARAMAGNETIC? How might this be linked to its ability to cause disease? Any electromagnetic field causes molecules that are paramagnetic to be drawn towards that field. Could this be how ferritin is linked to many 21st century diseases? When iron cycles are not controlled in our blood plasma it can oxidize our mitochondria in tissues where this occurs. This lowers are redox power and can cause us to age faster. Here is a disease that gives you some insight how the science of Dr. Doug Wallace, Dr. Gerald Pollack’s ideas marry in human tissues. I will tie some of their ideas and experiments together in this blog, with a quantum view point, to help you understand how bio-physics works in cells to cause cataracts in this rare disease. This disease shows us that super high ferritin can be associated with a long life, but maybe correlate to diseases in tissues with high emissivity. This implies that ferritin may help people who lack solar exposure and magnetic flux from grounding because ferritin is a protein that moves charges in blood plasma.

https://jackkruse.com/cpc-13-hyperfe...ract-syndrome/

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trisher For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th November 2022), Dennis Leahy (21st November 2022), Harmony (20th November 2022), Pam (20th November 2022), Sue (Ayt) (21st November 2022), thepainterdoug (20th November 2022), Vangelo (20th November 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote About 70 percent of the body’s iron is found in hemoglobin, a component of the red blood cell, and in myoglobin, found in muscle cells (including the heart). Both hemoglobin and myoglobin are important for transferring and storing oxygen. Another 25 percent of the body’s iron is bound to a protein called ferritin. Most of the ferritin in our bodies is found in liver cells (hepatocyes) and immune cells (reticuloendothelial cells), with a very small amount circulating in the blood (1). The remaining 5 percent makes up certain enzymes and is used in the synthesis of neurotransmitters and collagen (2)
    . This is repeated twice in my post. I felt it needed to be stated at the beginning so sorry about that.

Ferritin is the best indicator of the body’s iron reserves. The body will store ferritin until it is time to make more red blood cells. When the body signals the cells to release ferritin, it is picked up by a helper protein called transferritin, which transports ferritin to the location where new red blood cells are made (in the bone marrow).

The standard treatment as you have been told is to get rid of some of your blood. We used to have easy access to people's blood on dialysis so it was easy to to remove blood while on dialysis based on levels. So donating blood might make your numbers look better but once again, as with most allopathic medicine it does not look at the cause. Is this a genetic tendency? If it is that doesn't mean that the gene needs to be expressed so getting to the source of the situation is a better choice.

Your levels are elevated. Since Ferriten proteins are housed in the liver, you have to take good care of your liver. I know you have mentioned enjoying a drink now and then. I don't know how much you drink and it's none of my business but I would give it up, completely. Easy for me to say, right. I know it's enjoyable to relax with something.

https://blog.labtestingapi.com/iron-...els-explained/

Elevated Iron and Ferritin

de (3):
    Quote Elevated total iron and ferritin levels are also a concern, primarily because iron is an oxidizer. Oxidized iron can damage arteries and the heart while an increase in free radical production can increase the risk of cancer. Some of the signs of iron toxicity inclu
    depression
    fatigue
    infertility
    elevated blood sugar
    irregular heart rhythm
    diarrhea or constipation
    nausea
    vomiting
    abdominal pain
    green-gray skin tone
    adrenal dysfunction
    Quote High iron levels can result from unnecessary supplementation or frequent cooking in iron cook-ware. Donating blood is a healthy and helpful way to reduce iron level for otherwise healthy individuals. Individuals with other health conditions may need to see a physician for therapeutic phlebotomy. Men and post menopausal woman are at higher risk for high iron levels.

According to functional medicine, you should not have a triple digit ferritin level, even though conventional ranges have upper limits of 300+ ng/mL) (4). Elevated ferritin may result from hemochromatosis, a genetic disorder that causes the body to store too much iron, a risk for organs. Another important marker in confirming this condition is transferrin saturation (levels >45%). Transferrin saturation can be determined by dividing serum iron by total iron binding capacity (serum iron/TIBC). High levels of ferritin have also been seen in individuals with obesity, daily alcohol consumption, and liver damage from any cause. (5)

Elevated serum ferritin is a well known indicator of acute or chronic inflammation. However, it is unclear whether serum ferritin results from or causes inflammation or whether it is involved in a particular inflammatory cycle. It does however represent a consequence of cellular damage and stress. (6)

About 70 percent of the body’s iron is found in hemoglobin, a component of the red blood cell, and in myoglobin, found in muscle cells (including the heart). Both hemoglobin and myoglobin are important for transferring and storing oxygen. Another 25 percent of the body’s iron is bound to a protein called ferritin. Most of the ferritin in our bodies is found in liver cells (hepatocyes) and immune cells (reticuloendothelial cells), with a very small amount circulating in the blood (1). The remaining 5 percent makes up certain enzymes and is used in the synthesis of neurotransmitters and collagen (2).

Ferritin is the best indicator of the body’s iron reserves. The body will store ferritin until it is time to make more red blood cells. When the body signals the cells to release ferritin, it is picked up by a helper protein called transferritin, which transports ferritin to the location where new red blood cells are made (in the bone marrow).

Optimal levels for serum iron are 85-130 ng/mL. Optimal levels for ferritin are 40-90 ng/mL.

https://www.healthline.com/health/he...t#keep-in-mind

Quote It’s about more than just how much iron you consume

In a broad sense, the best diet for hemochromatosis involves foods low in iron. However, there are various circumstances that can affect how much iron is absorbed from the foods you eat. Here are some dietary factors that may affect the way your body absorbs iron:

Heme vs. nonheme iron. There are two types of dietary iron: heme and nonheme. Heme iron is found in meat and seafood. Nonheme is found in plants, meat, seafood, and fortified products. Heme iron is more bioavailable than nonheme iron, meaning that it’s more easily absorbed by your body.
    Vitamin C. Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, enhances the bioavailability of nonheme iron. In addition, meat and seafood can also enhance the absorption of nonheme iron.
    Calcium. Various forms of calcium may decrease the bioavailability of both heme and nonheme iron.
    Phytate and polyphenols. Phytate, or phytic acid, is a compound found in grains and legumes that decreases the absorption of iron. Other compounds in plant foods, known as polyphenols, can also decrease iron absorption.

As you can see, avoiding iron-rich foods is only one element of the best diet for hemochromatosis. There are other items, such as the other nutrients in the foods you eat, that can affect your iron absorption.
    For your consideration treating this at least experimenting with it , here is a list of foods that may be beneficial. You mentioned the keto diet. You can find protein in a number of ways and decrease your iron intake.

Quote Foods to eat when you have hemochromatosis
    Fruits and vegetables

With hemochromatosis, excess iron increases oxidative stress and free radical activity, which can damage your DNA.

Antioxidants play an important role in protecting your body from the damage caused by oxidative stress. Fruits and vegetables are a great source of many antioxidants, such as vitamin E, vitamin C, and flavonoids.

Many of the recommendations for hemochromatosis will warn you to stay away from vegetables high in iron. This may not always be necessary.

Vegetables that are high in iron, such as spinach and other leafy greens, contain only nonheme iron. Nonheme iron is less easily absorbed than heme iron, making vegetables a good choice. Talk to your doctor or dietitian if you have concerns.
    Grains and legumes

Grains and legumes contain substances that inhibit iron absorption — specifically, phytic acid.

For many people, a diet high in grains may place them at risk for mineral deficiencies, such as calcium, iron, or zinc.

However, for people with hemochromatosis, this phytic acid can help to keep the body from overabsorbing iron from foods.
    Eggs

Eggs are a source of nonheme iron, so are they fine to eat on a hemochromatosis diet? Actually, the answer is yes — due to a phosphoprotein in the egg yolk called phosvitin.

Research has shown that phosvitin may inhibit the absorption of iron, among other minerals. In one animal studyTrusted Source, researchers found that rats fed with a yolk protein had lower iron absorption than rats given soy or casein protein.
    Tea and coffee

Both tea and coffee contain polyphenolic substances called tannins, also known as tannic acid. The tannins in tea and coffee inhibit iron absorption. This makes these two popular beverages a great addition to your diet if you have hemochromatosis.
    Lean protein

Protein is an important part of a healthy diet. Many dietary sources of protein do contain iron. However, this doesn’t mean that you have to cut meat out of your diet completely.

Instead, plan your meals around protein sources that are lower in iron, such as turkey, chicken, tuna, and even deli meat.
    Foods to avoid when you have hemochromatosis
    Excess red meat

Red meat can be a healthy part of a well-rounded diet if eaten in moderation. The same may be said for those with hemochromatosis.

Red meat is a source of heme iron, meaning that the iron is more easily able to be absorbed by the body. If you continue to eat red meat, consider eating only two to three servings per week. You can pair it with foods that decrease the absorption of iron.
    Raw seafood

Although seafood itself doesn’t contain a dangerous amount of iron, there’s something in raw shellfish that might be more concerning.

Vibrio vulnificus is a type of bacteria present in coastal waters and can infect the shellfish in these areas. Older research has suggested that iron plays an integral role in the spread of V. vulnificus.

For people with high levels of iron, such as those with hemochromatosis, it’s important to avoid raw shellfish.
    Foods rich in vitamins A and C

Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, is one of the most effective enhancers of iron absorption. Although vitamin C is a necessary part of a healthy diet, you may want to be aware of vitamin C-rich foods and eat them in moderation.

In addition, vitamin A has also been shown to increase the absorption of iron in human studies.

Note that many leafy green vegetables contain vitamin C, vitamin A, and iron. However, since nonheme iron present in vegetables isn’t as easily absorbed, the benefits seem to outweigh the risks.
    Fortified foods

Fortified foods have been fortified with nutrients. Many fortified foods contain high amounts of vitamins and minerals such as calcium, zinc, and iron.

If you have hemochromatosis, eating iron-rich fortified foods may increase your blood iron levels. Check the iron content on nutrition labels before you eat these types of foods.
    Excess alcohol

Alcohol consumption, especially chronic alcohol consumption, can damage the liver. Iron overload in hemochromatosis can also cause or worsen liver damage, so alcohol should only be consumed moderately.

If you have any type of liver condition due to hemochromatosis, you shouldn’t consume alcohol at all, as this could further damage your liver.
    Supplements

There aren’t many recommendations for additional supplements when you have hemochromatosis. This is because research is limited on dietary interventions for this condition. Still, you should avoid or be careful with the following supplements:

Iron. As you can imagine, taking iron when you have hemochromatosis can place you at risk for extremely high levels of iron in the body.
    Vitamin C. Although vitamin C is a popular supplement for iron-deficiency anemia, it should be avoided in those with hemochromatosis. You can consume your daily recommended value of vitamin C through whole fruits and vegetables instead.
    Multivitamins. If you have hemochromatosis, you should take multivitamin or multimineral supplements with caution. They may contain high amounts of iron, vitamin C, and other nutrients that enhance iron absorption. Always check the label and consult with your doctor.
    I know I threw the kitchen sink at you. If you donate(personally I would be very, very cautious about this due to corruption, at least be really observant in what they are doing, asking questions.) it will make your numbers look within normal limits but it doesn't deal with the problem. I am not suggesting you not do it, just eyes wide open. If I were you I would experiment with diet check out the food lists. Also, things as simple as a good old iron pan can be unhealthy for some people and beneficial for others.

I do think it is worth assessing. Maybe if you are eating red meat on the keto diet there are other protein options.

I just shared one perspective and I hope it wasn't' to long and confusing. The more you can be your own health advocate and deal with this at the root of the issue the better.

I noticed lots of debate on what are normal ferriten and iron levels but yours do seem to be high. The liver is storing a lot and there is a large amount of iron in your bloodstream. Your body is a miracle, there is a reason it is doing thisl We all are exposed to so many toxins no matter how much we try to avoid. But focusing on a happy liver and looking at the foods that are beneficial and not beneficial is a start.

As a ex RN, I would be very,very wary of any treatment or any needle they stick in my arm. They are making money off your donated blood, the revelations of this is just creepy.

Anyway, I hope something makes sense here in this hodge podge of info. You have been so kind to many over the years I want to see you be as healthy as you can be. All this is a good reminder to me as well.

With love and respect,
    Pam

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th November 2022), ClearWater (21st November 2022), Dennis Leahy (21st November 2022), Harmony (20th November 2022), Sue (Ayt) (21st November 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Reading this all now with little time so I will study later. I thank you Pam for sending all.

i will not donate blood. I cant even do so as no one in my area will do it. Can you imagine? And I am not interested in going into a hospital or health facility

i do not have any of the symptoms mentiond in your writing above. I feel fine and would never know anything is off if it wasnt for the numbers

thanks everyone, will report back
    Ty Dennis as well

d

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th November 2022), ClearWater (21st November 2022), Dennis Leahy (21st November 2022), Harmony (22nd November 2022), Pam (20th November 2022), Sue (Ayt) (21st November 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    Reading this all now with little time so I will study later. I thank you Pam for sending all.

i will not donate blood. I cant even do so as no one in my area will do it. Can you imagine? And I am not interested in going into a hospital or health facility

i do not have any of the symptoms mentiond in your writing above. I feel fine and would never know anything is off if it wasnt for the numbers

thanks everyone, will report back
    Ty Dennis as well

d
    Doug, I agree, you might make a few diet modification if there is something that is problematic. As an example I found out I have a sensitivity to oxylates. They are spike little crystals that protect a plant.I developed pain in my legs, a hideous rash , ect.The oxylates also bind to magnesium and can create issures. Of course the MD I saw for 5 minutes couldn't figure it out. They offered me Neurontin which is used for seizures, imagine that. As it turned out I was eating foods that were extremely high in oxylates , spinach and rhubarb and a number of other veggies.I was making smoothies and eating tons of fresh grown spinach, the food highest in oxylates. I had to figure it out for myself. But mainly leaving those 2 foods out of may diet and minimizing use of other high oxylate (these can cause kidney stones) foods I totally control it. Sometimes I get slack and I'll get symptoms just starting so I have to discipline myself more. If I had totally relied on them I'd probably be taking a fistful of drugs and eating more healthy, high oxylate foods trying to cure myself and I would have been one sick person.

The body is very, very wise. When it does something for the most part there is a reason. We try to make everything and everyone uniform. All people should have these lab values, but that is simply not true. Some people that have slightly higher blood pressures than the gold standard of allopathic medicine are given very potent , dangerous drugs to get it to "normal". It may be that this particular person needs a higher blood pressure to get the blood distributed to where it belongs so lowering it could be very harmful , not to mention the toxins from the drugs. I'm not saying that is true of everyone, some have very dangerously high blood pressures, those are the exception.

If you feel good, no liver pain or tenderness, more power to you. Never underestimate the power of good, clean water. Lots of good clean water. Drink it with gratitude. I know I am sounding all new agey, I don't mean to do that. But I believe I am learning more and more about how this whole thing works and water is so much more than we give it credit for.... The other thing which I see you doing is bare feet on the earth. I believe without a doubt the earth provides anti-inflammatory benefits for it's creatures through this mechanism. I personally use a earthing pad that you ground through a light socket when it is cold and go barefoot outside when weather permits. So those are 2 simple things I have personally benefited from.

I believe in the premise, start with the easiest and less invasive and only if you find no benefit there, move up from there. Blood work has huge limitations, use your intuition and you will know if you need to intervene, you are a very wise man and I have seen you use your intuitive skills on this forum.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st November 2022), Dennis Leahy (21st November 2022), Harmony (22nd November 2022), selinam (20th November 2022), thepainterdoug (21st November 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

Let's throw B-12 in the mix...

I went through a heavy brain fog experience . I was evidently chronically deficient in B-12 (I was a vegan for decades, and was uneducated on B-12.)

"Brain fog" makes me think of B-12. I highly recommend megadosing on B-12 for at least a week or two. (There is no "LD-50" lethal overdose amount for B-12.)

"Skin itching" makes me think of other B vitamins, mainly B-1 (both directions - too much or too little can cause skin issues.)

Hope this helps.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st November 2022), Harmony (22nd November 2022), Pam (21st November 2022), Sue (Ayt) (21st November 2022), thepainterdoug (22nd November 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Thanks all

Pam/ I have added triptophan and lumbrokinase supplements to my daily regime since the info you sent. i have cut back vit c since it increases iron.

i take a pro biotic, prebiotic, butyryte , then cholesteral rice, omega fish oil, tumeric, vit e, milk thistle among others. and eat a low glycemic diet .
    tumeric a good chelator. grabber!

Dennis, will make sure I get the vit b 12 as I ran out a few weeks back

My daily diet (not strick) but mostly fats protiens and less carbs with ginger and garlic in most all. goes great with 0 neg alien blood I have

ONE WARNING to all. I noticed an accelerated heart and some heart discomfort rate after using DHEA. 100 mil way to much.

i cut it out and resting heart rate back to 60 bpm and no more discomfort

so next step is blood work near years end and see what we have.

I THINK ALL THIS INFO SHOULD BE SAVED! TY

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Harmony (22nd November 2022), Pam (21st November 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,841 times in 2,591 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)

I went through a heavy brain fog experience . I was evidently chronically deficient in B-12 (I was a vegan for decades, and was uneducated on B-12.)

"Brain fog" makes me think of B-12. I highly recommend megadosing on B-12 for at least a week or two. (There is no "LD-50" lethal overdose amount for B-12.)

"Skin itching" makes me think of other B vitamins, mainly B-1 (both directions - too much or too little can cause skin issues.)

Hope this helps.
    Just to note, my husband had a massive bleed-out from an aneurysm rupture not long ago. His ferritin and B-12 and red blood count were all critically low due to loss of blood.
    To bring up the counts, he had to take iron supplements for a while, and more B-12. But he was told to stop the iron and slow way down on the B-12 once his counts were back to normal, as too much B-12 is not good for him either. They still test his B-12 levels, and they have been fine now. But if the low ferritin goes along with the low B12, maybe high ferritin makes b12 too high?
    (Maybe Pam would know more about this?)
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Harmony (22nd November 2022), thepainterdoug (22nd November 2022)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    Thanks all

Pam/ I have added triptophan and lumbrokinase supplements to my daily regime since the info you sent. i have cut back vit c since it increases iron.

i take a pro biotic, prebiotic, butyryte , then cholesteral rice, omega fish oil, tumeric, vit e, milk thistle among others. and eat a low glycemic diet .
    tumeric a good chelator. grabber!

Dennis, will make sure I get the vit b 12 as I ran out a few weeks back

My daily diet (not strick) but mostly fats protiens and less carbs with ginger and garlic in most all. goes great with 0 neg alien blood I have

ONE WARNING to all. I noticed an accelerated heart and some heart discomfort rate after using DHEA. 100 mil way to much.

i cut it out and resting heart rate back to 60 bpm and no more discomfort

so next step is blood work near years end and see what we have.

I THINK ALL THIS INFO SHOULD BE SAVED! TY
    Excellent Doug. I love the idea about the B vitamins from Dennis. I have been really happy with nutritional yeast. I had some available and after I realized the brand of Bcomplex vitamin I was using had a bunch of crap, including PEG, I became suspicious of it. I realize I can get a bit extreme but I am becoming cautious about what I used to trust now that I realize the level of treachery there is out there. It may or may not be unwarranted but I trust mother nature much more than I do some corporation that just wants my money, I think I will email the company and ask them what the rationale for using certain chemicals is all about, just for fun.

DHEA is really powerful stuff, If I use it I can only tolerate small doses of it.... I think the process and info is invaluable!!! I have confidence in your health and that you can use your intuitive skill to figure out what is best for you.

I hope you will keep us filled in. It's not only showing your success but the process as we begin to take more responsibility for our own health, so I am excited to see what you can do with this.

I know when I had the oxylate condition I wanted my blood drawn because I was really lost with what was happening with me. My Vitamin D level was slightly higher than what is described as normal. I considered myself very successful as I live in Washington state and in the winter there can be very little sun exposure. This Nurse Practitioner was so concerned. How silly. The rest of my blood work was perfect but the programming doesn't allow for anything out of the standard numbers. My bone health is great. I am really happy to have adequate D levels so those numbers are providing guidance to us they should not dominate us. I could also see how easy it is to get "hooked" by the system. If I had started taking the neurontin like they suggested it could just be a endless treadmill of adding more meds to treat the side effects of the first one. And the first one wouldn't even be adressing the problem at all. I watched that happen to my mom. She ended up taking so many drugs it was insane. She was so programmed she would have jumped off a bridge if a doctor told her to...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...l-yeast#basics

The enzyme to break down fibrin and potential clotting is brilliant. Excellent Idea. I take serraptase daily and a multiple enzyme supplement daily. They just aid the body in the cascade of events of everyday body function....that is a really good idea. We tend to focus on vitamins and that is fine but if you don't have the enzymes or enough of them the vitamins can't be utilized. You are doing great.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pam For This Post:

thepainterdoug (22nd November 2022)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)

Hope this helps.
    Just to note, my husband had a massive bleed-out from an aneurysm rupture not long ago. His ferritin and B-12 and red blood count were all critically low due to loss of blood.
    To bring up the counts, he had to take iron supplements for a while, and more B-12. But he was told to stop the iron and slow way down on the B-12 once his counts were back to normal, as too much B-12 is not good for him either. They still test his B-12 levels, and they have been fine now. But if the low ferritin goes along with the low B12, maybe high ferritin makes b12 too high?
    (Maybe Pam would know more about this?)

I think balance in anything is good. Having high or low ferriten doesn't seem to have a standard B12 correlation as far as I can determine. Many people are low in B12 which is why they have a methylated version which is bioactive. I definitely don't think that having High Ferritin and iron absolutely correlates with B12 being high or low. When I was researching there were all kinds of variables with high and low ferriten and B12 levels. I don't see a correlation but I sure as heck don't know everything by a long shot.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Harmony (22nd November 2022), thepainterdoug (22nd November 2022)

+ Reply to Thread