+ Reply to Thread

Thread: World Cup 2022: Teams scrap rainbow-colored armband plan after FIFA threatens ‘sporting sanctions’

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,930 times in 428 posts

Default World Cup 2022: Teams scrap rainbow-colored armband plan after FIFA threatens ‘sporting sanctions’

I have a newfound respect for FIFA!

DOHA, Qatar — Seven European teams have scrapped plans to wear rainbow-colored anti-discrimination captains' armbands at the 2022 World Cup after FIFA threatened them with “sporting sanctions,” the teams said in a joint statement Monday.

England, Wales and others had said months ago, and as recently as Sunday, that their captains would wear the “One Love” armbands, which are part of a broader campaign originally launched by the Dutch soccer federation (KNBV) against discrimination. “The colors in the heart of the logo represent everyone's pride in their own origin, color, gender identity and sexual orientation,” the KNBV said in September.

FIFA, though, did not respond to or engage with the European federations until this past weekend, on the eve of the tournament. And when it did, it was “very clear that it will impose sporting sanctions if our captains wear the armbands on the field of play,” the European nations, which also include Belgium, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland, said in their statement.

“We were prepared to pay fines that would normally apply to breaches of kit regulations and had a strong commitment to wearing the armband,” the statement continued. “However, we cannot put our players in the situation where they might be booked or even forced to leave the field of play.”

The seven nations, plus France and two others not at the World Cup, adopted the campaign ahead of the 2022 tournament, implicitly in light of Qatari laws that restrict, among other things, LGBTQ rights. Qatar’s penal code punishes gay sex and “leading, instigating, or seducing a male to commit sodomy or dissipation” with multiple years in prison.

World Cup organizers have said that “everybody is welcome” during the tournament, but fans remained worried; Qatari laws have not been repealed or suspended; and LGBTQ people in Qatar and elsewhere still face discrimination.

The armbands — which read “ONE LOVE” and display a heart with an array of colors similar, though not identical, to the ones that represent LGBTQ pride — were seen as a significant statement of solidarity with the LGBTQ community and other marginalized groups. They were intended “to actively support inclusion in football,” the European teams said.

Instead, on the eve of the tournament, and in partnership with United Nations agencies, FIFA announced its own campaign featuring captains armbands. FIFA said in a news release that “messaging opportunities will be provided to the participating teams via” different armbands for each round of games.

The uniform messages are: “#FootballUnitesTheWorld,” “#SaveThePlanet,” “#ProtectChildren,” “#ShareTheMeal,” “#EducationForAll,” “#FootballForSchools,” “#NoDiscrimination,” “#BeActive,” “#BringTheMoves.” There are none that specifically support LGBTQ rights or labor rights, the Qatar World Cup’s two most contentious topics.

It’s unclear whether FIFA’s armbands are optional or required. (FIFA did not respond to a Sunday request for comment.) The “One Love” armbands, however, could have run afoul of FIFA rules that restrict activism. FIFA’s equipment regulations bar any “item” that “FIFA considers … dangerous, offensive or indecent,” or that “includes political, religious, or personal slogans, statements, or images.”

Source
    Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st November 2022), Ewan (15th December 2022), Ioneo (21st November 2022), Matthew (19th December 2022), Patient (21st November 2022), Tintin (15th December 2022), Vicus (22nd November 2022), ZenBaller (22nd November 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,273 times in 1,654 posts

Default Re: World Cup 2022: Teams scrap rainbow-colored armband plan after FIFA threatens ‘sporting sanctions’

Argentina’s too-white football team falls on woke radar in Qatar
    The World Cup finalists don’t have enough black players for a US professor’s taste

Now that Western virtue-signalers have successfully hoisted the LGBTQ flag over the World Cup, they have decided to turn their critical gaze to race.

While the people of Argentina celebrate the ongoing success of their national team in Qatar, a left-wing writer for the Washington Post chilled the festive atmosphere by dropping a race bomb: “Why doesn’t Argentina have more Black players in the World Cup?”

The response over Twitter from the South American nation was every bit as swift as it was devastating: “Because we are a country, not a Disney movie.” Another tweet from the same account stated, “We are not going to allow any ignoramus to accuse our beautiful country of being racist. Cheap progressivism has no place in Argentina.” That pretty much sums up the general attitude to the woke warriors who won’t be happy until their divisive message reaches the four corners of the planet.

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1600828990578728962/9PYALQfl?
    format=jpg&name=small[/IMG]

https://www.rt.com/news/568233-argen...black-players/
    Last edited by Vicus; 15th December 2022 at 12:01.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th December 2022), Ewan (15th December 2022), Ivanhoe (19th December 2022), Matthew (19th December 2022), Open Minded Dude (15th December 2022), Patient (19th December 2022), Tintin (15th December 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,592 times in 5,410 posts

Default Re: World Cup 2022: Teams scrap rainbow-colored armband plan after FIFA threatens ‘sporting sanctions’

(I hadn't noticed we had a World Cup thread )

Recently I was sharing my views around a whole range of things which necessarily ended up touching upon the 'rainbow' madness. Someone I do know quite well who was listening in said, somewhat condescendingly I must add, that: "You were doing really well until then."

Well, that was irritating, but I needed to clarify my point to him, as he seems to identify with one of the many letters in this rainbow nonsense.
    "My point is, as I thought I'd made perfectly understandably clear is that no-one society anywhere has a right to impose their ideals and concepts on another culture. You've been invited as a guest to a party and with that invitation comes an expectation to respect the hosts' expectations, and rules and behave respectfully. If you don't like these at all, or they make you feel uncomfortable, then don't go; decline the invitation, show some respect."
    He didn't enjoy the pushback, and he wasn't supposed to.

He couldn't seem to grasp that, so attached he is to his acronymical identity. He may even be a genuinely disrespectful person whose judgement is clouded by so-called 'rights' over responsibility, and decency.

The various football associations that considered it a good idea "just to do whatever the hell we want to" should just have declined the invitation and stopped their teams competing at all.

Anyway, I'm sometimes the great romantic when it comes to sporting endeavour and achievement, so I'd really like Argentina to win this (as I have from the start actually, absenting England of course) so that Messi can depart the grand stage upon which he has long sparkled as the great entertainer with the one trophy that has so far eluded him
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th December 2022), Ewan (15th December 2022), Open Minded Dude (15th December 2022), Patient (19th December 2022), Vicus (15th December 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,930 times in 428 posts

Quote Posted by Vicus (here)
    Argentina’s too-white football team falls on woke radar in Qatar
    I'm sure this woke radar will not notice very black French team

Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th December 2022), Patient (19th December 2022), Vicus (18th December 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,359 times in 639 posts

I'm glad the team from my country did not even survive the group stage (they sucked anyway) after this 'brave protest' against FIFA:

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th December 2022), chrifri (19th December 2022), Isserley (15th December 2022), Matthew (19th December 2022), Vicus (17th December 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,273 times in 1,654 posts

Debate rages over Messi’s World Cup robe
    The Argentine captain was dressed in a traditional bisht before lifting the trophy

Debate has erupted among football fans and pundits after Lionel Messi was given a traditional Arab robe to wear before he lifted the World Cup trophy in Qatar.

The Argentine captain helped his country secure a third title in their history by coming out on top of a dramatic final against France on penalties after the score had finished 3-3 following extra time at the Lusail Stadium.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FkSuD3UW...jpg&name=small

https://www.rt.com/sport/

Dr. Abdallah Marouf د. عبدالله معروف
    @AbdallahMarouf
    ·
    Follow
    Culturally, dressing someone a“Bisht” (the robe) is an act of courtesy & high appreciation in #Qatar.
    Thus, #Messi𓃵 was highly respected by the Emir of Qatar dressing him the Bisht.
    Ignorant Western media shall learn about cultures instead of whining as usual!
    #FIFAWorldCupFinal
    Last edited by Vicus; 19th December 2022 at 13:35.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th December 2022), chrifri (19th December 2022), Ivanhoe (19th December 2022), Matthew (19th December 2022), Patient (19th December 2022)

+ Reply to Thread