Thread: Alan Watts Talks

1. Link to Post #21
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,267 times in 21,089 posts

Default Re: Alan Watts Talks

• We're Already Playing But People Don't See It - Alan Watts Explains The Game:

An incredibly eye-opening speech from the late philosopher Alan Watts.
    Original Audio sourced from: “Alan Watts - Extended Seminars - Human Consciousness - Nature of Consciousness 2 - Video Produced and Edited by T&H Inspiration

#alanwatts #t&h #consciousness

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Watts

►Speaker: Alan Watts (1915 - 1973)
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

gini (11th April 2023), onawah (11th April 2023), Wind (11th April 2023)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,549 times in 20,693 posts

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I think the theory in Hindu cosmology, that creation's purpose is for the play of Maya, holds so much truth about the "WHY" of existence.
    Or as Clif High expresses it, the purpose of the cosmos is to discover NOVELTY, which I think is very much along the same lines...

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Watts

►Speaker: Alan Watts (1915 - 1973)
    Each breath a gift...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (11th April 2023), gini (26th April 2023), Wind (11th April 2023)

5. Link to Post #23
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,267 times in 21,089 posts

• 25 Minutes Of Pure Genius - Alan Watts On "The Symbol With No Meaning"

In this video remixed from a rare early radio series, Alan Watts analyses the paper "THE SYMBOL WITH NO MEANING" by Joseph Campbell.
    His explanation helps us shatter the rigid structures and see the essence of us , away from dogmas and as a pure expression of the universe.

Alan Watts Bio

Alan Watts was a British philosopher and writer who gained worldwide recognition for his insightful views on philosophy, personal growth, creativity, and spirituality. He was born on January 6, 1915, in Chislehurst, England, and died on November 16, 1973, in his home in California, USA.

Watts was renowned for his ability to communicate complex philosophical concepts in a way that was accessible to the general public. He believed that philosophy should not be confined to academic institutions but should be a part of everyday life.

He was an advocate of personal growth, which he believed was a continuous process of self-discovery and expansion of one's consciousness. He believed that true personal growth was not just about acquiring knowledge or skills but involved a deepening of our understanding of ourselves and the world around us.

Alan Watts was also a strong proponent of creativity, which he saw as an essential aspect of human existence. He believed that creativity was a means of expressing our innermost selves and connecting with something larger than ourselves.

He had a deep interest in spirituality and believed that it was not just about religion or dogma but was a way of being in the world. He saw spirituality as a means of connecting with ourselves, others, and the universe at large.
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 26th April 2023 at 21:49.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

gini (26th April 2023), onawah (26th April 2023)

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    English
    Thanks

There are many threads on this subforum "Spiritual and self-help practices that seem to work"...that are devoted to such discussions: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/for...t-seem-to-work
    I have started a new thread there entitled "Discussing Alan Watts": https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1555443
    ...which could be utilized for that purpose.
    And which would encourage more inspirational talks from Alan Watts on this thread, hopefully, without interruption.
    I have been informed that the Mod team is presently short-staffed, so hopefully this will be of assistance to them as well.
    (... Though I am unable to move any posts myself. I could remove the content of my posts here, but I hope it will not come to that.
    This may seem like a petty issue, but I think the starter of a thread should have some say as to the purpose and direction of the thread. )

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    That can be accomplished better if their discussion is moved to a new thread where the discussion can continue uninterrupted if desired.
    I started this thread with the sole intention of posting some of Alan Watt's talks.
    As the OP, that should be my perogative,and I will state my intention more plainly in an update on the first post.
    Quote Posted by Vangelo (here)
    Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    I would greatly appreciate it if Applesprig and ExomatrixTV would ask the Mods to have their conversation moved to a different thread, as their discussion adds very little to this thread except distraction.
    I respectfully disagree with this request.

I am new to Alan Watts. I have found this entire thread very informative and this exchanges has been additive to me.

Applesprig introduced a facet of the discussion that sheds light on the impact Watts has had on some people and the Satanic view. Exo's responses provide an alternative perspective. I appreciate being able to see and ponder both so that I may decide on my own...
    UPDATE: Thanks to the Mod team for honoring my request! We now have 2 separate threads, this one for posting talks by Alan Watts, and the second new one for discussion about Alan Watts himself.
    Last edited by onawah; 3rd May 2023 at 19:29.
    Each breath a gift...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Yoda (3rd May 2023)

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Alan Watts - We Need to Shut Up
    Metamorphosis 77
    94.9K subscribers
    Jan 10, 2023

"He tried to introduce eastern philosophies to the western world and help the constantly occupied western mind to slow down.

This speech discusses the need for meditation and that we finally need to silence our constant inner monologue."

Each breath a gift...

10. Link to Post #26
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Ego Death Will Save the World / Alan Watts -
    Metamorphosis 77
    94.9K subscribers
    Jan 4, 2021

"This speech discusses ego death and how it constitutes a fundamental element in our attempt to re-institute connection with the world around us."

Each breath a gift...

11. Link to Post #27
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Alan Watts ~ An Act Of Faith...
    Wiara
    331K subscribers
    1,509,056 views Oct 13, 2018

Each breath a gift...

12. Link to Post #28
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Jesus Christ and Christ Consciousness - Wake Up To Who You Really Are - Alan Watts
    MindPodNetwork
    41.7K subscribers
    40,687 views Aug 8, 2019

"Instead of thinking about Jesus as a person, imagine that it's a state of consciousness that everyone has access to at any time.

The realization of who you are is a resurrection. Waking up in your mind as "I AM" while knowing you're still you is Christ Consciousness.

In this lecture Alan Watts discusses Jesus as a person and what his true religion consisted of."

Quote Posted by gini (here)
    JESUS CHRIST AND THE CHRIST CONSCIOUSNESS------
    Last edited by onawah; 4th May 2023 at 01:35.
    Each breath a gift...

13. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks

You Have to Let it Happen
    let me change your life
    6.27K subscribers
    556 views Premiered Mar 19, 2023
    "More on https://www.alanwatts.org/ "

Some very insightful words of wisdom from Alan Watts, beginning at 13 minutes into the video, about how Democracy inevitably becomes Fascism...
    And at 16 minutes in, about why a wise King keeps the Court Fool close by, to remind the King that he too is only human, and not to give himself airs and graces, and to remember that there are forces and domains far beyond his...
    And finally, that it is very difficult in our present world to abandon nationality.
    Last edited by onawah; 4th May 2023 at 01:37.
    Each breath a gift...

14. Link to Post #30
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The Ambition To Be Less Egotistic Is A Form Of Ego | Alan Watts
    Way Of Thinking
    58.4K subscribers
    Mar 5, 2023

"Welcome to Way of Thinking! In this video, we hear Alan Watts talking about not trying to distract ourselves from our emotions. Philosopher and spiritual teacher Alan Watts shares his perspective on depression, anxiety, and the nature of the human ego. Watts reminds us that the more we try to suppress or eliminate our negative emotions, the more power they have over us. Instead, he encourages us to accept and embrace all aspects of ourselves, including our fears and doubts. He also explains why we can't just be free from ego."

Last edited by onawah; 4th May 2023 at 01:56.
    Each breath a gift...

15. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks

"The Gateless Gate" (RARE)
    Alan Watts/30 min of PURE GENIUS
    Anima Creativa
    1.55K subscribers
    80,442 views Apr 25, 2023
    Alan Watts for a Creative Life

"In this video, Alan Watts discusses the ancient Zen Text "The Gateless Gate", a foundational set of 40 zen stories Koans that impart the Buddhist Wisdom in a very unique way to achieve the sudden awakening or Satori.
    In these 30 Min of PURE Genius , Alan dives into the Zen philosophy and practice through the lens of the Gateless Gate reviewing 4 of the 40 stories.
    If you are curious to read more , you can read "The Gateless Gate" for FREE , here: https://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/glg/index.htm"

Last edited by onawah; 4th May 2023 at 02:38.
    Each breath a gift...

16. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Alan Watts ~ Don't Force Anything **Wu Wei**
    Wiara
    331K subscribers
    1,761,286 views Nov 24, 2018

Speech courtesy of alanwatts.org

Each breath a gift...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

gini (3rd September 2023)

18. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks

When You Are Ready To Wake Up, You Are Going To Wake Up | Alan Watts
    Way Of Thinking
    67.6K subscribers
    May 7, 2023

"Welcome to Way of Thinking! Alan Watts talks about the concept of awakening and encourages us to explore our own potential for self-realization. Alan Watts invites us to examine our beliefs, question our assumptions, and tap into the deeper dimensions of our being. Alan Watts reminds us that true awakening cannot be imposed from the outside, but must arise from within when we are ready to embrace it. Telling us that we are powerful beings, and everything that happens is connected; so in some way things happens for us, created by us, not to us."

Each breath a gift...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

gini (3rd September 2023), Vangelo (23rd May 2023)

20. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 times in 916 posts

--Sep 3, 2023
    Why do people perceive and react to the ever-changing nature of life in different ways. If some seek to be rational, analytical, and in control, while others value spontaneity, emotion, and fluidity, which approach could be more beneficial in the long run.

Alan Watts addresses these very questions, challenging the mechanistic concept of the universe, and argues that it's just one way of looking at things. Consciousness may indeed exist even in inanimate objects and reality is more interconnected and fluid than a rigid mechanistic view implies. Life is just too alive, too vibrant, and too full of potential to be reduced to mere mechanics. What could be more open and more appreciative a perspective on the world?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gini For This Post:

Alekahn2 (31st December 2023), onawah (3rd September 2023)

22. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Alan Watts For When You Feel Stressed
    T&H - Inspiration & Motivation
    589K subscribers
    120,884 views Aug 28, 2023

"This will make you rethink your perception of life. Alan Watts' powerful and profound lecture on letting things go. Original audio sourced from: Extended Seminars - The Future - The Future of Communications"

Each breath a gift...

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Alekahn2 (31st December 2023), Ewan (3rd September 2023), gini (4th September 2023)

24. Link to Post #36
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Alan Watts: On Being God – Being in the Way Podcast Ep. 6 – Hosted by Mark Watts
    Be Here Now Network
    150K subscribers
    Dec 26, 2022
    Alan Watts - Being in the Way

"In ‘On Being God,’ Alan shares on therapy, religion, mystical experiences, & Jesus, before playing the hilarious and light-shedding role of a clinical patient who realizes they’re God.

This series is brought to you by the Alan Watts Organization and Ram Dass’ Love Serve Remember Foundation. Visit https://Alanwatts.org for full talks from Alan Watts.

Mystical Experiences // Humanity & Nature // Psychiatry & Religion (0:00)
    Jesus & The Great Heresy // Democracy in the Kingdom of Heaven // Karma & Responsibility (23:23)
    On Being God: Alan Watts Clinical Experience (38:38)"

“To know that you are God is another way of saying that you feel completely with this universe, you feel profoundly rooted in it and connected with it, you feel that the whole energy which expresses itself in the galaxies, is intimate. It is not something to which you are a stranger, but it is that with which you are intimately bound up, that in your seeing, your hearing, your talking, your thinking, your moving, you express that which it is that moves the sun and other stars.” – Alan Watts

Each breath a gift...

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Alekahn2 (31st December 2023), gini (27th September 2023)

26. Link to Post #37
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Just Shut Up | Alan Watts on Reality and the True Purpose of Meditation
    Spirituality Unplugged
    90 subscribers
    Sep 23, 2023

Each breath a gift...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

gini (31st December 2023)

28. Link to Post #38
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The Path To Enlightenment By ALAN WATTS
    Jofy & the Spiritual Teachers Of Our Time
    5.56K subscribers
    7/29/21

"Alan Watts explains the path to Enlightenment.

Alan Wilson Watts (6 January 1915 – 16 November 1973) was a British philosopher, writer and speaker known for interpreting and popularizing Buddhism, Taoism, and Hinduism for a Western audience. Born in Chislehurst, England, he moved to the United States in 1938 and began Zen training in New York. He received a master's degree in theology from Seabury-Western Theological Seminary and became an Episcopal priest in 1945. He left the ministry in 1950 and moved to California, where he joined the faculty of the American Academy of Asian Studies.

Watts gained a following while working as a volunteer programmer at the KPFA radio station in Berkeley. He wrote more than 25 books and articles on religion and philosophy, introducing the emerging hippie counterculture to The Way of Zen (1957), one of the first bestselling books on Buddhism. In Psychotherapy East and West (1961), he argued that Buddhism could be thought of as a form of psychotherapy. He considered Nature, Man and Woman (1958) to be, "from a literary point of view—the best book I have ever written". He also explored human consciousness and psychedelics in works such as "The New Alchemy" (1958) and The Joyous Cosmology (1962)."

Each breath a gift...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

gini (1st January 2024)

30. Link to Post #39
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Alan Watts For When You Think Too Much
    T&H - Inspiration & Motivation
    604K subscribers

"Oct 23, 2023 Alan Watts Videos by T&H Motivation & Inspiration
    A clarifying and powerful lecture from Alan Watts on Jesus and religion."

Each breath a gift...

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Alekahn2 (31st December 2023), gini (31st December 2023), Yoda (31st December 2023)

32. Link to Post #40
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 times in 916 posts

30 dec 2023
    Don't Fall For This Trap - Alan Watts on Work and Play
    A powerful and thought-provoking speech about work and play.-13 min--

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gini For This Post:

Alekahn2 (31st December 2023), norman (31st December 2023), Vangelo (31st December 2023), Yoda (31st December 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2