+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Social media discussion rarely changes anyone's minds.

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,464 times in 32,924 posts

Default Social media discussion rarely changes anyone's minds.

... Discuss.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

arwen (25th July 2023), christian (2nd June 2023), Dennis Leahy (11th December 2022), DNA (26th July 2023), Gwin Ru (11th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Johnnycomelately (11th December 2022), Matthew (13th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022), Tintin (13th December 2022), Yoda (11th December 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,466 times in 572 posts

Default Re: Social media discussion rarely changes anyone's minds.

Social Media has a tendency to lower the quality of content given the significant numbers of participants whom also have lower quality mindsets being able to participate [One only needs a phone or computer [and in some cases, permission: i.e. not getting banned from social media]]. In short, there are too few of dynamic and solid thinkers with sound [un]common sense, participating. Being smart or having common sense does not cover the spectrum. Being wise also includes some sort of emotional stability; a facet that is seemingly undeveloped in the majority.

It is my opinion, that the majority of participants in social media are simply not wise.

This is a conundrum because it is my opinion; and due to my experiences online since around 1994 I think this opinion is a fact. There is a fair amount of effort required to find wise and interesting folks by which to have high quality exchanges. I would also keep in mind that smart people do indeed do dumb things from time to time; however, there are far more dumb people online than there are wise people. Tech-savvy is so common in this modern era that it does not guarantee the exchanges are coming from the wise contingent.

This preface gets me to the point of the discussion: 'Social media discussion rarely changes anyone's minds.'

Finding the right information takes more effort and requires more due diligence. Taking someone's 'word for it' is a thing of the past before social media. A quality individual would indeed have a reputation preceding him or her as a manner of one whom is wise and could be trusted. This is no longer the case. No one is to be trusted online and personal rapport is very hard to generate. [Not to mention how fast one will be cancelled and lose any reputation they might have enjoyed.]

So I attribute that social media discussion would rarely change anyone's mind from a perspective of 'trusted' and/or 'respected' or 'wise' and a reasonable EQ.

What I find interesting is the competitive nature of people [and entities] should increase the potential for higher quality exchanges; but the truth remains that with low EQ [or participation resulting in offensive content] dominating the discourse the competitive aspect seems irrelevant.

The cream therefore, will rise to the top. The internet is so vast that finding the top is the challenge; even in the content here at PA. Nothing will be ideal, but some sites/content will be more ideal than others and this may be cyclical.

Besides opinions and facts; I would indicate that I value experience over knowledge as experience is practical applied knowledge. Just because you know doesn't mean you can do.
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (11th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (11th December 2022), edina (12th December 2022), Gwin Ru (11th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Isserley (11th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (11th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (11th December 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,776 times in 4,376 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    ... Discuss.

... cough-cough... what for?

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (11th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (11th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Johnnycomelately (11th December 2022), Matthew (13th December 2022), selinam (12th December 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,110 times in 2,424 posts

Unless this Forum is considered social media, I have zero social media presence. No Twitter, nothing. I did open a Facebook account about 7 years ago, but I never used it.

But from what I gather, and in my view, social media is a tool for the handlers to put stuff out there, and then identify what is being discussed, who is discussing it and then determine who to ignore and who to target. They learn a lot about us while they cause us to chase our tails bickering amongst ourselves over very often, almost completely, pointless distractions.

Divide and conquer and keep divided and conquered. They know that, as long as we remain divided, we will never recognize and unite against them; our common enemy.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

Alan (11th December 2022), Alecs (11th December 2022), Arcturian108 (11th December 2022), arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (11th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (11th December 2022), Gwin Ru (11th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Hym (11th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Johnnycomelately (11th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gwin Ru (here)
    ... Discuss.
    cough-cough... what for?
    Made me laugh.

It really seemed to me to be one of those paradoxes (or anomalies) that we never discuss at all. It comes a little close, maybe, to being an Emperor's New Clothes type of thing.

There are zillions of examples all over social media, but let's just take the microcosm of the Avalon forum. Below are some of the issues sometimes fiercely discussed in the last few years.

The vast majority of posters on these subjects already have fairly (or very) well-set views, and the number of instances of someone saying [something like] "Hey thanks, I see your point of view, you've explained it very well, and I think I've changed my mind" is tiny.
    • Vaccine effectiveness
    • Ivermectin effectiveness as a covid treatment
    • Trump's legacy as US president
    • Biden's legacy as US president
    • QAnon's claims and statements
    • Global warming
    • Ukraine/US vs Donbass/Russia.
    There are many more, but those come to mind immediately.

What I notice again and again is that exchanges between those with opposing views get nowhere at all. It often comes close to literally being a waste of time.

So that leads to the question: What's the value of exchanging opinions?

I might suggest the answer: Much less than we may assume.

So what's the value of discussing anything at all?

I think the true value — which is important and significant — actually lies in expanding the nuances of our understanding of issues we broadly already agree with. As a kind of crude metaphor, we're educating one another about geophysics, not arguing about whether the earth is spherical or not. We're way past that point now.

And here's a very real example, not a metaphor at all. I'm personally as sure as I can be that a lost major civilization, probably a global one, existed prior to about 12,500 years ago. What I am interested in reading about and learning much more about is the ongoing discovery of artifacts and other evidence that may tell us more about what the civilization was like, where and when it flourished, and what eventually became of it.

And the same for the existence of ETs, UFOs, and off-planet (or maybe interdimensional) civilizations that are interacting with us on Earth. I'm 100% certain this is all very real. But I still want to learn more about the possible details, agendas, history, phenomena, and so on.

So there's an important distinction that can be made about the kinds of information we're all sharing here every day — and why we're sharing that information at all.

Here's a thought experiment. We've not had this happen on Avalon yet, but supposing a new member appears who starts advocating some of the aspects of 'woke' culture that I'd suspect many (or most, or maybe all!) of those reading this would consider abhorrent, socially destructive, and maybe even a symptom of a kind of modern mental illness.

Do we allow them a platform to express their views?

If your view is 'yes' — then why??
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 11th December 2022 at 19:55.

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Akasha (30th August 2023), arwen (25th July 2023), Dennis Leahy (11th December 2022), Franny (11th December 2022), guenonsbitch (16th November 2023), Gwin Ru (11th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), JackMcThorn (11th December 2022), Jayke (11th December 2022), kudzy (12th December 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th December 2022), Matthew (13th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (11th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022), Yoda (11th December 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks

So what's the value of discussing anything at all?
    I for one, perceive a forum as a discussion board; so I find some of the discussions riveting or at least interesting. There are some very smart people to read from here. [some very technical] The truth is, even this forum seems to have less discussion and more social media content. [Considering the fact that it is in its own right a collection of knowledge.]

The content I find at times mind-numbing. Videos? Okay, once in a while I will spend a little time on one if it is described somewhat. Other social media posts? Not too interested. Once you got an idea of what is going on in the Donbas, you pretty much get it. Frankly, if it wasn't for Mashika [and if I was in america] I wouldn't have had a real clue what was going on there. I do not wish to be a war correspondent so any further minute details by way of others social media feeds - I've just lost interest in it. If I had skin in the game, I might follow the details more closely. I would say I learned more about the area and the past decade there from her rather than from the twitter feeds on the same subject. I would prefer a natural local expert, than the social media feeds.

This Norman Rockwell illustration is the old fashioned way to follow a war with your sons involved:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RockwellFiles9440429.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	50055

Notwithstanding, I am looking for discussion and opinions. I find the subject of opinions has been raised a bit, and I realise everyone has one but it has sort of become deplorable on PA to share an opinion, as it is may be some tired old perspective. I have always thought there to be a time and a place; or most things in moderation which means sometimes opinions might fly.

In the pursuit of the facts it is very human to deviate from pure facts at times. Sometimes, it is just nice to hear what someone thinks; once in a while. Especially, if you spend a lot of time thinking.
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Akasha (30th August 2023), arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (11th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (11th December 2022), Franny (11th December 2022), Gwin Ru (11th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Hym (11th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks

Here's a thought experiment. We've not had this happen on Avalon yet, but supposing a new member appears who starts advocating some of the aspects of 'woke' culture that I'd suspect many (or most, or maybe all!) of those reading this would consider abhorrent, socially destructive, and maybe even a symptom of a kind of modern mental illness.

Do we allow them a platform to express their views?

If your view is 'yes' — then why??
    The platform currently has evolved in a manner of speaking that thinking to the contrary [of the group] is smartly curtailed by the participants. So, someone with a woke ideology wouldn't last very long here.

For example: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...094-Son-of-Man

2o missives basically and respectfully did not buy into this original post. [Conducted in a manner that did not break rules or attract moderation attention.]

The community has a set of rules, unwritten. I attribute this to various sensitive discussions and experiences that may have small followings, be exaggerated, or deliberate attempts to deceive the reader. We all know what these topics are and some people have lost reputations but in my opinion they had it coming if they thought they could fool all of the people all of the time. In this advanced forum, with high levels of respect for others, it sort of polices itself.

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Akasha (30th August 2023), Anu Raman (11th December 2022), arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (11th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (11th December 2022), Franny (11th December 2022), Gwin Ru (11th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Hym (11th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,886 times in 612 posts

I for the most part see social media as a blight on society. Young people do not learn how to think, they learn what someone else tells them to think. They learn what information is fed to them and for the most part, do no research of their own. On social media it is so easy to lie and if you say it enough time someone will believe you and that is how it starts. But my biggest fear is young people not learning to think thoughts and ideas out for themselves.
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (11th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (11th December 2022), Franny (11th December 2022), Gwin Ru (11th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th December 2022), Orph (11th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

In classical education, the "Rhetoric" pillar of the Trivium supplied the individual with the tools for debate. This was (I believe deliberately) left out of modern education, because it doesn't serve the Elite.

Forums (fora?) probably have the best chance of a couple of individuals exhibiting debate skills. The other social media platforms are set up as "hit-and-run" opinion bulletin boards, not scholarly debate. Instead of logic, we now get emotional diarrhea and ad hominim attacks in place of debate or even discussion.

KnowItAll Guy: "Water boils at 212 degrees F or 100 degrees C."

OtherGuy: "No, that statement is incomplete, so it is incorrect."

KnowItAll Guy: "You're an idiot! Scientifically illiterate!"

OtherGuy: "You need to add, "Using distilled water", and, "at sea level, on Earth", to make the statement complete and true."

KnowItAll Guy: "No you don't, idiot! I'm a scientist! I understand science! What is wrong with you? Are you a Nazi? Hitler lover? Trumpanzee?"

OtherGuy: {exits thread}

KnowItAll Guy: "Don't let the door hit you in your dumb ass!"

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Akasha (30th August 2023), arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (11th December 2022), Franny (11th December 2022), Gwin Ru (11th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Karen (Geophyz) (12th December 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th December 2022), Satori (11th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    In classical education, the "Rhetoric" pillar of the Trivium supplied the individual with the tools for debate. This was (I believe deliberately) left out of modern education, because it doesn't serve the Elite.

Forums (fora?) probably have the best chance of a couple of individuals exhibiting debate skills. The other social media platforms are set up as "hit-and-run" opinion bulletin boards, not scholarly debate. Instead of logic, we now get emotional diarrhea and ad hominim attacks in place of debate or even discussion.

OtherGuy: "You need to add, "Using distilled water", and, "at sea level, on Earth", to make the statement complete and true."

KnowItAll Guy: "No you don't, idiot! I'm a scientist! I understand science! What is wrong with you? Are you a Nazi? Hitler lover? Trumpanzee?"

I could add the following, safely (I think! ), as it's not actually manifested like this on Avalon. (But the equivalent has absolutely shown itself on the Ukraine/Russia thread.)

Pro-vaxxer: I trust the science. I'm vaxxed, and I'm fine.

Vaxx-critic: Here's a long list of vaccine injuries [reference], here's a bunch of interviews with independent doctors [reference], here's evidence that pharma companies have been duplicitous at best [reference], and here's what happened to my wife, my brother and my parents.

Pro-vaxxer: I trust the science. I'm vaxxed, and I'm fine. You should be vaxxed, too.

Vaxx-critic: Here's another list of vaccine injuries [reference], here are more interviews with independent doctors [reference], here's more evidence that pharma companies have been duplicitous at best [reference], and here's what happened to my friend's wife, his brother and his parents.

Pro-vaxxer: I trust the science. I'm vaxxed, and I'm fine. You should be vaxxed, too, and if you refuse, you're antisocial and dangerous to others.

(etc etc)

Sometimes, (as in Jack McThorn's example above re this thread), the protagonist may be very politely 'silenced' (as it were), or may just leave the forum entirely.

But what happens if the protagonist persists, and (as per this thread title) does not change their mind?

One possibility: maybe they should be politely retired from the community, once a point is reached when their presence becomes an obstinate irritant and seems to offer no educational value to other members.

20. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Akasha (30th August 2023), arwen (25th July 2023), Dennis Leahy (11th December 2022), DNA (12th December 2022), Franny (11th December 2022), Gwin Ru (11th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), JackMcThorn (11th December 2022), Karen (Geophyz) (12th December 2022), kudzy (12th December 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th December 2022), Satori (11th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022), Yoda (11th December 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks

I mentioned once before that I was on a different forum in america [now defunct] that was absolutely brutal. The forum moderator [there were only 2] would devise a question [current events or otherwise; sometimes political] and the discussion would entail over a period of 6-8 weeks on average and then a new topic would be posted.

I was with this forum for some years and the reason I stayed is the quality of writing was very high and there are just too few forum options around. The personal attacks of the Left vs. the Right were the brutal aspect. I sort of fell into the middle to the right side of things. I was told that the middle is for the impartial and I should pick a side. I did not take this advice. Even though the writing was high quality, the Left or the Right tried to force their perspectives on the other.

What I did do a few times is take the forum question and asked it on a social media debate forum to see the quality of writing and the discourse. The social media was a complete failure. The quality of writing was poor and the discourse nothing like the original forum but the personal attacks were similar. It seemed like the attention span on social media was culprit. People just did not think hard and write well.

So I was without a forum for a while until I found PA on complete accident. I come here mostly to read and to be honest, there is plenty I don't know.

22. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Akasha (30th August 2023), arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (11th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (11th December 2022), Franny (11th December 2022), Gwin Ru (11th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Isserley (11th December 2022), Karen (Geophyz) (12th December 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th December 2022), Merkaba360 (12th December 2022), Peace in Oz (12th December 2022), rgray222 (25th July 2023), Satori (11th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 times in 430 posts

If we get into an argument with someone and our only goal is to prove that we are right and they are wrong, we guarantee that neither side of that argument would understand the higher truth, which is why we see it differently.

It’s important to realize that we're unaware of all the forces that took place to create our conclusions - beliefs, attitudes, and values which are made up of a culmination of years of experiences and behaviors.

When you try to change someone else’s mind, you should be open to having your own mind changed, as well. Ask yourself -- am I right about everything?
    People tend to resist questioning themselfs - its cognitively difficult, and it can make them "loose ground" / identity. Thats why its so rare.
    Of course, politeness in communication is another important factor that can contribute to finding common ground or not.
    Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Akasha (30th August 2023), arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (11th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (12th December 2022), Gwin Ru (11th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), JackMcThorn (11th December 2022), Karen (Geophyz) (12th December 2022), Lunesoleil (12th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,697 times in 640 posts

One of the reasons that social media may not be effective at changing people's minds is that it can be a echo chamber, where people are exposed primarily to views and opinions that align with their own. This can create a biased and skewed view of reality, and it may make it difficult for people to consider alternative perspectives. Additionally, people may be more likely to engage with content on social media that confirms their existing beliefs, rather than content that challenges or contradicts those beliefs.

Chat GPT

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

42 (15th May 2023), Akasha (30th August 2023), arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (11th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (12th December 2022), Gwin Ru (11th December 2022), Harmony (25th July 2023), Icare (23rd April 2023), Karen (Geophyz) (12th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2022)

27. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,776 times in 4,376 posts

... let me think a bit... social media do not foster "discussions"... they generate only heated arguing... a model of actual discussion can be found with the likes of Chris Martenson where factual data are analyzed down to an irrefutable conclusion. The guy can really, really "think"!

In other words, so-called social media deal only in triggers and emotional reactions. Unfortunately, most Alt-media are doing the same.

PA is definitively different since, as a forum, it compiles data and new discoveries which keep altering/modifying previous analyses, interpretations and conclusions and, therefore, is a continual work in progress.

As for what to do with deadly set minds... the first thing would be... don't feed them trolls.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (12th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (12th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Karen (Geophyz) (12th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2022)

29. Link to Post #15
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,830 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by sunwings (here)
    One of the reasons that social media may not be effective at changing people's minds is that it can be a echo chamber, where people are exposed primarily to views and opinions that align with their own. This can create a biased and skewed view of reality, and it may make it difficult for people to consider alternative perspectives. Additionally, people may be more likely to engage with content on social media that confirms their existing beliefs, rather than content that challenges or contradicts those beliefs.

Chat GPT
    The problem is that once people are willing to participate in a conversation online and they don't lose the fear of having other people express different opinions, they just gravitate to a site or thread they know it's 'safe'. Then once there they join the critique and complaining about the other sites or threads that are not following the same line

I don't think this is new, it was around all since ever, like bars and coffee corners that people frequent and are one sided and if a person from 'the other side' comes around there may be trouble. Or how stadiums work mostly with people from each team mostly sitting in opposite sides

Attachment 50057
    Tired

30. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Akasha (30th August 2023), arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (12th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (12th December 2022), Gwin Ru (12th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Hym (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Johnnycomelately (12th December 2022), Karen (Geophyz) (12th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022)

31. Link to Post #16
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,830 times in 3,335 posts

... Discuss.

Circular dependencies from hell...
    Tired

32. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (12th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (12th December 2022), Gwin Ru (12th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Hym (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Johnnycomelately (12th December 2022), Karen (Geophyz) (12th December 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th December 2022), Matthew (25th July 2023), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022)

33. Link to Post #17
    France Avalon Member Lunesoleil's Avatar
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 times in 1,199 posts

Arrow Re: Social media discussion rarely changes anyone's minds.

... Discuss.
    my opinion Bill, are you nostalgic?, the networks do not replace real life. We have to fight with trolls who have created many fake accounts... There are exceptional people, I met my darling on social networks, he replied to my comments and I loved reading his. Paradise on Earth . I waste a lot of time on the Avalon forum, is it useful?

my passion is astrology and I've been in it for 50 years, my mother was the trigger then a meeting later, because we don't always do what we want in life, despite a happy childhood, but without true friend, I was born into a big family. I went to mass every Sunday and after communion I no longer believed in religion. Later, I learned to know myself with astrology which is a tool for self-knowledge before being for others... my life has completely changed...

🙏

34. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (12th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (12th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Hym (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Karen (Geophyz) (12th December 2022), Mashika (12th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022)

35. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,936 times in 4,332 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)

I could add the following, safely (I think! ), as it's not actually manifested like this on Avalon. (But the equivalent has absolutely shown itself on the Ukraine/Russia thread.)

Pro-vaxxer: I trust the science. I'm vaxxed, and I'm fine.

Vaxx-critic: Here's a long list of vaccine injuries [reference], here's a bunch of interviews with independent doctors [reference], here's evidence that pharma companies have been duplicitous at best [reference], and here's what happened to my wife, my brother and my parents.

Pro-vaxxer: I trust the science. I'm vaxxed, and I'm fine. You should be vaxxed, too.

Vaxx-critic: Here's another list of vaccine injuries [reference], here are more interviews with independent doctors [reference], here's more evidence that pharma companies have been duplicitous at best [reference], and here's what happened to my friend's wife, his brother and his parents.

Pro-vaxxer: I trust the science. I'm vaxxed, and I'm fine. You should be vaxxed, too, and if you refuse, you're antisocial and dangerous to others.

(etc etc)

Sometimes, (as in Jack McThorn's example above re this thread), the protagonist may be very politely 'silenced' (as it were), or may just leave the forum entirely.

But what happens if the protagonist persists, and (as per this thread title) does not change their mind?

One possibility: maybe they should be politely retired from the community, once a point is reached when their presence becomes an obstinate irritant and seems to offer no educational value to other members.
    This is the dialogue most pressing...

I've spent most of my life not owning a television.
    Also, I've avoided the news.

As far as hypnosis goes I'm highly suggestible.
    But I know it.
    I can feel it.
    The effects hit me and I'm like wait a minute, that's not my opinion and then I retract the steps and scrub the source.
    I know from experience that the televisions began increasing their power to hypnotize and suggest as the technology became more advanced.
    The audio as well.
    Now I don't even think modern movies are safe to watch without risking a subliminal insertion of some sort.

I blame television for the state of things.
    I blame the brain washing and the triggered defensiveness on television, especially the news casts.
    I've noted that the folks I've managed to get through to watch very little too no television.

Just an opinion.

36. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (12th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (12th December 2022), Gwin Ru (13th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Karen (Geophyz) (12th December 2022), Mashika (12th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,382 times in 5,726 posts

I have said it before and think it is even more apparent.... the matrix is shattering . Trying to hold onto "something" the collective mind is splintering into vast numbers of versions of the matrix.

This is my understanding and where I am focused. Whatever version one attaches ones focus on is strengthened in one's personal experience. Therefore, one must FOCUS one's attention where one chooses. I am choosing to look at all the information about "current events" and I say "the TRUTH is coming out". Personally I look to the mass realization of how we effect OUR reality with our intention, our focus and what we love is the POINT.

It makes all the difference to let go of the need to establish "the absolute TRUTH" and just use all the material one comes across to solidify what one THINKs is valuable, FEELS is good and beautiful and then LOVE on it with our actions. I credit social media with a great deal of Good. I LOVE the internet and I find great information. How I am living in my my fractal is MINE to make .... you have a fractal TOO and all of the billions of lives in the shattered field that is falling to pieces. So, information in social media discussion could be the key for someone somewhere sometime to awaken to being ones own Boss in the midst of the disintegration.

The level of chaos will increase and IMO a great mystery may unfold for our free will creativity to enjoy! Energy and frequency and information MATTER. I am convinced that I stand in my own light and have a Creator at my back for what MY soul may create here and now. Frankly I am not sure what that IS? But I am finding out.....as does everyone who allows the surrender to a mystery. The moment is now to be "I am" in the mystery.

38. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Akasha (30th August 2023), arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (12th December 2022), Dennis Leahy (12th December 2022), DNA (13th December 2022), Harmony (12th December 2022), Icare (23rd April 2023), Isserley (12th December 2022), Karen (Geophyz) (12th December 2022), Mashika (12th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,382 times in 5,726 posts

One of the reasons social media discussion may miss the mark is that it is not able to reach the depth of heart understanding face to face sharing may touch? BUT at the same time, when we hear the words spoken as in a video, much more is conveyed than just the words in text. I am blown away that my optimism that we WILL live on earth as it is in heaven is resounded in so many ways by various POV. I always had an issue with the idea of Christ as a "King" because of my suspicion about heirarchies and their thumbs of oppression.
    Tonight I had an ahha that my conception of "Kingdom" and "King" MUST have also been INVERTED in my mind like everything else by the twisted collective machination.

I don't know who exactly is the "enemy" I tend to think my ONE enemy is my inability to surrender to a "higher" authority? In that I have compassion for the terror of someone who truly is disconnected from God. God IS. God IS. God IS even if I cannot begin to understand what that means. However, I FEEL I am an heir, a daughter of a Presence that is REAL. This gentleman's sermon here has grabbed me so strongly. I KNOW there is a shift. I wholely embrace the prophecy here. I highly recommend its healing balm UNDER any words. We are in a SHIFT where the heaven on earth I imagine is blooming.

Last edited by Delight; 13th December 2022 at 06:50.

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Anchor (14th December 2022), arwen (25th July 2023), Bill Ryan (13th December 2022), Harmony (25th July 2023), Icare (23rd April 2023), Sue (Ayt) (13th December 2022), T Smith (14th December 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast