+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 3 6 LastLast

Thread: What are your preparations for any potential crisis situation?

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Member edina's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,171 times in 2,420 posts

Default Re: What are your preparations for any potential crisis situation?

Quote Posted by Otho (here)
    Quote Posted by Pharaohs Maze (here)
    I dont claim to know what were really headed for over the coming years, I try to avoid forcasting certainties due to the apparent complexity of some of the information given out through the Avalon and Camelot portals. However I think many of us here are at the very least preparing mentaly for some kind of social / spiritual reform.
    If anyone is familiar with the Pete Peterson material presented by Bill and Kerry he touches briefly on making preparations for the possible / probable disintergration of society.

I wonder weather there are any organised strategies among this community for such circumstances? Since one person may have expertise with radio and technology while other may have survival skills another may have building skills etc... thus the communities chances of survival is raised by sharing and organising resources.

I think it would be useful to hear peoples thoughts and most importantly what people feel is the most apropriet prepartion for such and outcome... even just for ourselves and families.

Thanks
    You might want to check out Dimitry Orlov's work (here's a link to a talk http://fora.tv/2009/02/13/Dmitry_Orl...Best_Practices). He has akind of no BS nuts and bolts approach to functioning during political/economic/social collapse based on his experience and observation of what happened in the former Soviet Union. He fully expects America to go through something worse and be generally poorer prepared. He now lives on a sailboat in Maine btw.

It's hard to say what will work best. But I think that networks, adaptability, and sell-able/barter-able skill sets are pretty key. In the end, visible or detectable resources may not be your friend.
    Thanks Otho, This is one I haven't heard of yet, I'm going to take a closer look at the link, thanks.

In Russia, the dachnas saved the people, these are the small garden plots that many Russians keep.

We live off the beaten path, and have stores for us and extra for members in our local community.
    I'm trying to set up a garden process this year where the garden can feed almost all our food needs, for us, our animals, and again, extra to share
    We have about three different ways to do anything and can live without power.
    I've stocked a decent library, to rebuild from, should the worse happen.

I approach all of this from a sense of compassion.
    I found that a person cannot generate enough energy to make real changes in thier lives
    from a state of fear, anxiety, anger, and so on.

Also, the biggy for me, now, is to focus on implementing these lifestyle changes
    as if I am living an art, to create a space of shared beauty, love, and joy.
    I feel this life is better lived joyfully, rather than in drudgery.

This is a process for me, because the learning curve of the skills takes time,
    and lots of mistakes while I'm living the experience.

I think in about 4 to 5 years, all the pcs will be in place and everything will POP
    and I'll be living in one of those paradise gardens that the Bio-dynamic, and
    Permaculture people talk about.

I live well inland, and close to 7000' high.
    Last edited by edina; 11th February 2011 at 00:25.
    I happily co-create a balanced world culture harmonized with Infinite Intelligence. ~ edina (Renaissance Humanity)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

Arrowwind (17th February 2011), Eram (13th September 2012), Turcurulin (26th August 2012)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Quote Posted by John (here)
    Quote Posted by ThePythonicCow (here)
    I have a concoction I prepared which successfully cured toenail fungus that had been well established below most of my toenails.

I bought a dozen "1 OZ FLINT GLASS WIDE MOUTH BOTTLE W/ BRUSH CAPS, 33/400" from SKS Industries to hold a batch of the preparation, and for a convenient way to apply it
    I have also used this preparation on other minor fungus infections, but would hesitate to apply it to more sensitive skin.
    Mate, medical advice is a really thorny problem - we dont want to get the forum into trouble.

For eg: How much do you really know about Sodium Diclofenac? Do you know about its side effects? Are you insured in case anyone follows your advice and ends up with problems? Is the forum? Are you aware that Diclofenac and Ibuprofen have different reasons not to use them - and are not really a complete replacement for each other?

I'm not picking on you - I know you mean well, but I've heard of forums being taken down for less. This post really applies to everyone and I hope the moderators agree with me. I cant remember if it was in the guidelines or not - as I had a hand in writing them I should remember but whatever.
    My understanding is that to put out such a formula is not illegal. It is not a recommendation to a person, it is telling what he did. It is illegal to sell a product and then give out a forumula or make claims to cure along with that product... at least that is how it is in the USA. Many US forms provide this kind of information on formulas for different conditons and there isn't a dang thing they can do about it. I have not heard of problems as such in other countries either

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Anchor (19th February 2011), Eram (13th September 2012), ThePythonicCow (17th February 2011), Turcurulin (26th August 2012)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Otho (here)
    [I approach all of this from a sense of compassion.
    I found that a person cannot generate enough energy to make real changes in thier lives
    from a state of fear, anxiety, anger, and so on.

Also, the biggy for me, now, is to focus on implementing these lifestyle changes
    as if I am living an art, to create a space of shared beauty, love, and joy.
    I feel this life is better lived joyfully, rather than in drudgery.

This is a process for me, because the learning curve of the skills takes time,
    and lots of mistakes while I'm living the experience.

I think in about 4 to 5 years, all the pcs will be in place and everything will POP
    and I'll be living in one of those paradise gardens that the Bio-dynamic, and
    Permaculture people talk about.

I live well inland, and close to 7000' high.
    Excellent! this is a great attitude and where I am heading... Its taking some time to shake off the city vibes and accumulated stress from an intense job but Im about done with that.

I hope to get more active in calling in the Divas and earth spirits this coming spring when we get back. Setting of my medicine wheel with initiate my work.

Some say you need to prepare spiritually and not worry about the material. I cannot not worry about the material.. it is my maternal instincts that command me to provide for those around me... even if we are run off our property, even if the worst happens I will know that what I have done will be providing for someone in need some where at some time.

Regarding water... due to the increased risk of solar flairs coming this year and potential grid problems we placed a hand pump along side the electric pump in the well.. All our neighbors were talking about solar flairs and if the grid goes down. Some could not place a hand pump due to the nature of the type of pump they already had. It was a good feeling to let them know that our well as well as two others in the vacinity would be up and running... all they had to do was pull their wagon over with their buckets.

Ortho - since you are at 7,000 feet I will be interested to hear about what you manage to grow and some of the cures to the problems you face. We are at 6,500 and it is a challenge.
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 17th February 2011 at 18:16.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Eram (13th September 2012), InTheBackground (18th February 2011), Turcurulin (26th August 2012)

7. Link to Post #44
    United States Avalon Member The Mad spirtualist's Avatar
    Thanks

http://www.survivalblog.com/ I have had a 100 pound backpack ready to go for the last ten years. everything I need to survive in the woods or anywhere. Some things to keep in mind is to have GOOD water filtration! Water is life! Get an osmosis/carbon system at the very least. All make sure your vehicle is full of gas and tuned up! Store up food and water for six month supply.

My backpack contains
    tent
    0 degree sleeping bag
    3 means of lighting fire: lighters, waterproof matches, flint stone.
    good kettle for cooking & boiling water.
    food utensils
    good knife with something to sharpen it.
    binoculars
    hand crank radio with all radio waves
    hand crank flashlight, solar powered flashlight
    rope, twine, string and dental floss
    warm/cold weather clothes
    mirror
    rain gear
    water filter
    freeze dried food
    fishing rod
    saw
    axe
    and more I can not think of
    Last edited by The Mad spirtualist; 19th February 2011 at 17:59.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Mad spirtualist For This Post:

Eram (13th September 2012), Turcurulin (26th August 2012)

9. Link to Post #45
    Thanks

That was my mode of operation when I lived on the west coast... but not where I am now... but I must say, 100 backpacks is industrious. Who are these all for?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Eram (13th September 2012)

11. Link to Post #46
    United States Avalon Member jjl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 times in 544 posts

The preparations for myself are for my mother, husband 2 friends and my immediate neighbors. I say nothing to anyone.
    Last edited by jjl; 17th February 2011 at 18:48.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjl For This Post:

13. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

100 pound pack sorry.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Mad spirtualist For This Post:

15. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

here i was thinking you were some kind of major urban survivalist organizing your community, with secret meetings in abandonded warehouses, preparing for mass escape. likely creating cells in nearby communities

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

17. Link to Post #49
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Fantastic thread. Thank you for posting it. My list is always evolving and even more so now after reading all of your suggestions and advice. I wrote out a list of nutritional food a few months ago that I would like to purchase ASAP. It is your standard, tuna, beans, rice and so on. My biggest problem at the moment is where do I store it? I can store it here in my apt. My biggest concern there is what if the city (I live in a small city 150,00 pop) erupts into violence or looting and so on. It would be hard to transport that much food and survival gear without detection. Do any of you perhaps have any suggestions as to where I can store about a years supply of food, water, blankets and so on. Rent storage space? Bury it, sink it in shallow water? Im interested to know. Thank you all.
    Last edited by Peta Babkama Luruba Anaku; 20th February 2011 at 04:33.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peta Babkama Luruba Anaku For This Post:

Eram (13th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th September 2012)

19. Link to Post #50
    Thanks

Yup, stay fit. stay focussed and my personal piece of advice= buy some weapons, i mean honestly, you should own an assault rifle as you won't be able to compete without one. That is, if shtf totally, you'll wish you had one
    "As long as you still view the stars as something above you, you still lack a viewpoint of knowledge" -Fredrich Nietzche

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Koyaanisqatsi For This Post:

21. Link to Post #51
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Peta Babkama Luruba Anaku (here)
    Fantastic thread. Thank you for posting it. My list is always evolving and even more so now after reading all of your suggestions and advice. I wrote out a list of nutritional food I would like to purchase ASAP. It is your standard, tuna, beans, rice and so on. My biggest problem at the moment is where do I store it? I can store it here in my apt. My biggest concern there is what if the city (I live in a small city 150,00 pop) erupts into violence or looting and so on. It would be hard to transport that much food and survival gear. Do any of you perhaps have any suggestions as to where I can store about a years supply of food, water, blankets and so on. Rent storage space? Bury it, sink it in shallow water? Im interested to know. Thank you all.
    In your situation it could be best to hole up for a bit. Travel would be VERY risky, even for a trained soldier= easy to get shot in the back and robbed. Keep the food in a chest wherever you live, when the power goes out it will happen suddenly(CME) and it will hit the fan quick when the city is pitch black save for the fires at transformers, no water will come out of the tap (electric pumps). You'll need the food with you to eat it, same w water of course. Have some ammo would be prudent, but until then DONT LIVE IN FEAR, life is a beautiful trip
    "As long as you still view the stars as something above you, you still lack a viewpoint of knowledge" -Fredrich Nietzche

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Koyaanisqatsi For This Post:

23. Link to Post #52
    Thanks

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best! No matter how much you prepare, you can't prepare for everything. That is why mental preparation is most important. Using intuition to help you get through crisis cause your brain might not work as good!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Mad spirtualist For This Post:

25. Link to Post #53
    Great Britain Avalon Member bilko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 times in 256 posts

I have a bedroom full of tents, knives, axes, and general bushcraft gear not in case of emergency but because i have nowhere else to store it.
    I have been learning to live with the idea that death is the final stage of life and one that i welcome when the time comes.

If i am conscious i hope i can make the emotion a positive one and experience the passing as a joyous next step in my existence.
    I do not want to live a 'mad max' life or cling to my body and survival for the sake of it. I try not to feather my nest here....

I trust in the universe and my creator.
    I hope i make a difference to somebody and make their time here more joyous.
    I learn to love and learn to be.

I have enough supplies to last a month or so but the skill sets to last longer if i desire, probably knowing me lol just to help the passing of some lonely soul frightened and lost.
    I often wonder if the aboriginal people or other tribes will even notice when we are at deaths door.

Of course i fear pain, but i am working on it.
    Of course i impulse buy just in case but i learning not too.
    I fear for others more than myself and that is my best defense and trait i suspect.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bilko For This Post:

Eram (13th September 2012), Peta Babkama Luruba Anaku (20th February 2011), Turcurulin (26th August 2012)

27. Link to Post #54
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

It would be wise for city dwellers to have made arrangements with a farmer who can provide land and water during an emergency.
    • Put most of your stored food and survival equipment at your bugout location. Your food storage should be sufficiently large to keep you going until your garden is harvested.
    • If you are not the first to leave the city, you may not get out. Remember hurricane Katrina? If the emergency turns out to be a false alarm you can always turn around and go back.
    • A quality water filter is crucial. Search online for Berkey or Katadyn water filters.
    • Keep a full tank of gas while in the city.

Travel Trailers/camper/caravan:
    • A used travel trailer can provide shelter. I used one for more than 4 years. Based on acquisition cost and what I sold it for, cost was $100 per month.
    • Water can be transported if hookup to a pressurized source is not available.
    • Propane can be used as an energy source. A tiny wood stove would be great if it will fit inside.
    • Electricity can be provided by a small solar system with a generator backup. If an inverter powered by deep cycle batteries is available, the generator would not need to run continuously when electrical power is needed.
    • A composting toilet would be needed unless you had a sewer connection and access to water used to flush.

It would not be wise to wait before looking for a bugout location. Plan ahead or plan to fail. Have more than one plan.

One of the best information resources I've found is the Survival Blog.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 19th February 2011 at 15:46.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Arrowwind (26th February 2011), Eram (13th September 2012), FearNot (22nd February 2011), Peta Babkama Luruba Anaku (20th February 2011), Turcurulin (26th August 2012)

29. Link to Post #55
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 times in 653 posts

(Deleted) I don't want to pass this along. Sorry.
    Last edited by sygh; 19th February 2011 at 04:55.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to sygh For This Post:

31. Link to Post #56
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

Every time I go shopping I buy a case of canned food of different types. It's now starting to overflow in the wood shed I built in the back yard for other things, so I'm just finishing a wall size set of shelves inside to store it, and it can be locked up.

Don't have a pump, but wish we did. For second best I save milk jugs and have a gallon of bleach set aside for sterilization. Hopefully if the worst happens, there will be time to fill them up.....

Basic things like a good hunting knife, survival guide, visquine( for windows or trapping dew) batteries, radio, sterno, lighters, etc.

Of course firearms and ammo, but I hope to god they never have to be used. Also got a good pellet gun for small game.

Hopefully none of these things are never needed and this conversation is merely academic, but of course it always comes down to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. BTW, I don't see ANYBODY else even thinking about thinking about preparation for ANYTHING. It'll be very heartbreaking if the worst happens, and I would share rations with people we know well until everything is gone. After that? Not even gonna worry about it, just trust.

Cheers,
    Fred S.

32. Link to Post #57
    New Zealand Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Here in New Zealand in the aftermath of the earthquake there is a LOT of discussion about what to do and how to survive off the grid etc.

Pyhsical, mental and spiritual 'fitness' has not helped anyone. The earthquake was not discerning in those respects. Fit and unfit, spiritual and non spiritual people were overtaken by the disaster. It randomly killed. So be prepared to not be prepared in that respect. People you may not expect to be taken out might be. You may find yourself suffering from 'survivor guilt'...you just don't know why you survived and others didn't.

People have been rallying around though and taking strangers into their houses, sharing resources etc. The strategy that has worked has been one of 'neighbourliness' or 'mateship' as we call it here.

Here are some practical things that are working for people right now, today...remember power is intermitant and 80 percent of homes are without water.

Barbecues...without electricity or gas they are the main cooking method as well as for boiling water...keep a full gas bottle (and a spare).

Coffee filters if you have electricity but the water supply is likely contaminated filter water through a coffee perculator.

Water containers...these are really valuable assets to have and are highly prized. Collect rain water from roof by cutting into the down pipe on guttering and collect. Boil water before drinking on bbq.

Shovel....have a good shovel because a hole in the ground is going to be your latrine. Keep it as far away from dweilling as possible especially any water source and dig it deep (it fills up quick).

Shelter...nothing like a good tarpaulin to cover up holes and gaps in roofs, provide shade etc....

A radio...it's been the method of communication as all other media down.

A good sing a long and a sense of humour!

Some tips hope they help.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BowMan For This Post:

Eram (13th September 2012), Fred Steeves (24th February 2011), Lily de Cuir (26th February 2011), RunningDeer (13th September 2012), ThePythonicCow (26th February 2011), Turcurulin (26th August 2012)

34. Link to Post #58
    Thanks

Clorox is sufficient for purifying water but it does not store well. After one year don't count on it. Pool Shock calcium hypochlorite will store well. Please see this page for instructions on how to use calcium hypochlorite to purify water: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...096#post157096 Its the same as MMS2 go to www.jimhumble.biz and read up on mms2. Its cheap.

everyone should have or know how to build a rocket stove for outdoor cooking. They are very efficient on fuel use. You will want this after the propane runs out. If you don't want to do it now at least get a 45 degree bended pipe for a common wood stove pipe,, thats the main ingredient,, you can wing the rest.. find further info on a google search

Also solar ovens can cook things if the climate is right. Do a search. You can make your own.

Always make sure you have good boots for walking with the right socks. No less than 4 pairs of socks. You may need two pairs in one day, and on bad days a pair may take almost 2 days to dry..

Have a way to move water around. Those yellow wagons from Home depot are great. Dont use milk jugs if you can get something more durable... but have a variety of sizes from 5 gal to 1 pint. as you don't know what you will need.

Remember, your MMS1 stash can purify water also, along with lugols iodine.

Be sure to have a stash of medicine that you may be taking...

Be sure to have good skin lotion. Damaged skin could cost you your life. Its a tough world out there.
    My husband thought I was psycho when I stocked 6 jars of shea butter...
    but since he decided to work in zero weather conditions this winter now he understands.
    work gloves also... several pairs... in different sizes, then its easier to ask for help if you can offer gloves.
    Good health of your hands and feet are critical to survival.
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 26th February 2011 at 19:31.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Eram (13th September 2012), Lily de Cuir (26th February 2011), Ol' Roy (11th August 2011), RunningDeer (13th September 2012), Turcurulin (26th August 2012)

36. Link to Post #59
    Argentina Avalon Member mcaballero's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for this thread! I found it most interesting, and here goes my list:

I live on my own in the 14th largest urban area of the world (Buenos Aires), so the only thing I keep is my wits for hopefully knowing when to get out of here :-). Just in case, I'm planning to get a bike in a couple of weeks. I used to think otherwise as a bike is quite dangerous here, not only because of the thefts but because of the traffic full of really nervous drivers.

Where my family lives we have a 3 month supply of canned food, and 4000 litres of water in an underground deposit that is constantly replenished. I'm planning to increase the food supply to 6 months. What's stored is: canned stuff (tomatoes, beans, corn, pineapple, apricots and other), rice, beans, spaghetti, marmalade (as sweetener), cooking oil and quite a large amount of chlorine, soap and some medical supplies. I'm also planning to get fuel to get my family safe in case of a deeper emergency. And even if there is none, gas prices have gone up here a lot (from 0.75 USD/l last year, to 1.25 USD/l this year), so this might not be a bad idea.

Addendum: shortware radio receiver/transmitter, and spare battery+loader. And a solar charger for small electronics.

I've also researched areas in this country, and came to the conclusion that Neuquén, Argentina is a great place to go in case of emergency. There is plenty of fresh water, a small population, it is not that affected by earthquakes, and parts of it are very green.

On a side note, there was a painter in Argentina called Benjamín Solari Paravicini, who had "visions" about the future from 1930 until his death in the 60's, and prophesied many things that did occur, for example Hitler, the Sputnik satellites, "electric" and "african" music for the "end days" (not bad for mentioning that in the 1930's), and worldwide stupidity. He prophesied that a cataclysmic worldwide event would occur in the year 2000 (did not). He prophesied that Argentina would help feed the world after such a cataclysm (we have the second largest green plains here). He also mentions a pole shift, but claims that Argentina would still remain in the south. I am very skeptic, but I try to keep my mind open, as there are many interesting ideas in his drawing and notes (which I encourage you to research).

What I wish is I knew a way of helping others in case of such an emergency, but unfortunately I'm not wise enough to do that now :-(. Most of the people I am with have no clue, and that saddens me deeply.

Whoa, I got really inspired in this message .
    Last edited by mcaballero; 26th February 2011 at 06:44.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mcaballero For This Post:

Eram (13th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th September 2012), Turcurulin (26th August 2012)

38. Link to Post #60
    Thanks

mcaballero,, you mention clorine. Do you mean clorox? clorox will loose much of its strength in a year so be sure to cycle your stash and don't let it sit too long. Calcium hypochlorite is a solution that will store forever.. learn about it at www.jimhumble.biz
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...096#post157096
    Its a great water purifier and can be found in pool supply stores, its called pool shock.

I feel that we have been greatly brainwashed to believe that we do not have to prepare for what is down the road in life. In the old days food storage was a skill every family knew to one degree or another. Don't feel guilty or silly for doing it. You are following primal instincts that are a part of who you are, that has not been repressed.

If you store gasoline it will only keep for about 6 months so those containers need to be labled and dated. You can purchase a product to add to it to preserve it for much longer.. I would have that product on hand but save it till the SHTF. Keep rotating your stash of fuel until then. I will make a separate thread to teach how to use calcium hypochlorite
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 26th February 2011 at 22:12.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Eram (13th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th September 2012), Turcurulin (26th August 2012), write4change (26th February 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 3 6 LastLast